Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,943 members, 7,821,301 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? (826 Views)

Between Canada �� And USA Which Is Better ? / Poland Or Germany Or Canada, Which One's Best? / Photos Of Milliken Hill Road Enugu: This Is Not Germany Or US Or UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Alakoriomo: 9:55am On Apr 09
Would you pick a PhD in Germany or a PhD in the US provided that both are equally funded ?
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Namaster: 10:27am On Apr 09
USA obviously.

The US is big with INSANE economic power. If you go for your PhD and you impress appropriately, you could get a nice job.

Opportunities in US are more than the ones in Germany. Plus, the issue of language barrier would be minimal in US compared to Germany.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:36am On Apr 09
If you are yet to get a visa, accept both and choose which gives you a visa first.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Sirhush(m): 11:43am On Apr 09
tensazangetsu20:
If you are yet to get a visa, accept both and choose which gives you a visa first.
All correct grin 💯

1 Like

Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Gerrard59(m): 1:14pm On Apr 09
If you are able to secure both funding and visas (extremely important), choose the US. It is the best place to be a black skilled professional. Nowhere else, not even in black Africa, comes close.

3 Likes

Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Bongadu: 1:26pm On Apr 09
Reject both and serve ya fatherland

Do ya PhD here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by nearline(m): 2:34pm On Apr 09
From what I know from someone who stays in Germany studying there will require that you learn their language well enough to be fluent (speaking, reading, writing and conversing) in it before you can study over there. But in the case of the USA you already speak english so the US would be a more comfortable choice.
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by emperor4love(m): 6:41am On Apr 10
After u.s other country fellow
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Hannania(m): 10:14am On Apr 10
Alakoriomo:
Would you pick a PhD in Germany or a PhD in the US provided that both are equally funded ?

1. PHD in Germany is for 3 years, while it's 4 or 5 in the USA(Averagely 5 years).

2. PHD in Germany is regarded as employment mostly, and you're paid better than the stipend you get after Funding in the US.(Not scholarships like DAAD though).

3. After your PHD in US, Your best bet for Green card is EB1 visa and it's by luck. The new German law enacted this year can give you German citizenship a year after your PHD if you learn German to C1 level. With the German passport, you can apply for EBI visa.

4. With a PHD admission, you can get appointment in days for Germany, and visa approval max of 4 weeks.

I stated all those for Germany because I know people have limited knowledge and you'll mostly get for US. If I was you though, I'll go for Germany, earn more in three years , get my citizenship with one of the strongest passport on planet earth.

Congratulations if you have both though

8 Likes

Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Lordbinsmar: 5:15pm On Apr 10
Hannania:

1. PHD in Germany is for 3 years, while it's 4 or 5 in the USA(Averagely 5 years).

2. PHD in the Germany is regarded as employment mostly, and you're paid better than the stipend you get after Funding in the US.(Not scholarships like DAAD though).

3. After your PHD in US, Your best bet for Green card is EB1 visa and it's by luck. The new German law enacted this year can give you German citizenship a year after your PHD if you learn German to C1 level. With the German passport, you can apply for EBI visa.

4. With a PHD admission, you can get appointment in days for Germany, and visa approval max of 4 weeks.

I stated all those for Germany because I know people have limited knowledge and you'll mostly get for US. If I was you though, I'll go for Germany, earn more in three years , get my citizenship with one of the strongest passport on planet earth.

You are well informed.

He can get a US green card through the Einstein route or something like that. If he has studied STEM and has few publications.

Otherwise he would be stucked with green card problem in the US.

For Germany, he will get the permanent residence after his PhD and can work towards citizenship.

Lastly Phd trajectory is a bit relaxed in Germany compared to US. No heavy coursework and TA or RA problems, you only focus on some research and do few coursework that you can spread throughout the Phd trajectory.

However OP should be willing to learn learn German to have a smooth transition to industry after the phd.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Hannania(m): 9:01pm On Apr 10
Lordbinsmar:

You are well informed.

He can get a US green card through the Einstein route or something like that. If he has studied STEM and has few publications.

Otherwise he would be stucked with green card problem in the US.

For Germany, he will get the permanent residence after his PhD and can work towards citizenship.

Lastly Phd trajectory is a bit relaxed in Germany compared to US. No heavy coursework and TA or RA problems, you only focus on some research and do few coursework that you can spread throughout the Phd trajectory.

However OP should be willing to learn learn German to have a smooth transition to industry after the phd.

There are countless English speaking postgraduate courses in Germany these days. The country is just very careful to maintain it's language heritage that they made too easy to take up opportunities once the language is acquired.

Not to talk of opportunities in Switzerland with your German. Earn comparable or even more than in the US.

2 Likes

Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by lastkingsman: 8:07am On Apr 11
Hannania:

2. PHD in the Germany is regarded as employment mostly, and you're paid better than the stipend you get after Funding in the US.(Not scholarships like DAAD though).

If one gets the new opportunity card being proposed this year, how long will it take to get German PR and citizenship?
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Hannania(m): 6:54pm On Apr 11
lastkingsman:

If one gets the new opportunity card being proposed this year, how long will it take to get German PR and citizenship?
The opportunity card only grants you 12 months to look for a job. If you don't get, you have to leave the country.

When you do get a job, you will have to apply for EU Blue card. There's a salary threshold for this.

With the EU Blue card, you will be issued a permanent settlement permit upon application subject to the following requirements:
You must have been employed subject to compulsory insurance for at least 27 months and
you must have basic knowledge of German.
If you have sufficient command of the German language, the period will be shortened to 21 months of employment.

To get citizenship, you have to have 5 years of legal residence permit. It can be shortened to 3 years as a PR holder if you have C1 German

1 Like

Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by DrCjfancy: 12:34pm On May 04
Hello, Good Day @ Hannania. Please do you know any PhD research work I can apply for in Germany with my medical degree certificate. Thank you
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Cousin9999: 11:23pm On May 05
The German PHD sounds like a great opportunity, but I question how abundant job opportunities are compared to America. It seems like a better stepping stone than a place to settle. But I'm not saying you're guaranteed anything in the US though because they like to take tuition dollars and send people packing too.

I also worry about the safety of people going there. It's a country where literal na**s walk around out in the open with no fear.
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by LesPieux: 3:40am On May 06
Hannania:

2. PHD in Germany is regarded as employment mostly, and you're paid better than the stipend you get after Funding in the US.(Not scholarships like DAAD though).

You analyse very well.

For me, getting the European passport is a big asset.

The person can get the PhD in Germany and then move to the USA
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by anamo: 4:32am On May 06
Hannania:

For number 3, why the need to apply for US EB1 visa if he already has a German passport? German passport is way stronger than a US passport. Only Japan and Singapore passport can match a German passport in strength
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by wetrlr: 7:29am On May 06
OP don't listen to all these people here saying USA, Germany is one of the best for PHD programs. The transition they provide for citizenship is the best you will find anywhere.
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Hannania(m): 11:29pm On May 06
anamo:

For number 3, why the need to apply for US EB1 visa if he already has a German passport? German passport is way stronger than a US passport. Only Japan and Singapore passport can match a German passport in strength
Its about earning possibilities. If he can get the opportunity he needs in Switzerland, moving to the US is of no use because the pay is one of the best globally
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by anamo: 9:04am On May 07
Hannania:
Its about earning possibilities. If he can get the opportunity he needs in Switzerland, moving to the US is of no use because the pay is one of the best globally

Someone earning 5,000 CHF ($5516) in Switzerland 🇨🇭 or £5000 in Germany has better quality of life than someone earning equivalent un the United States. CHF is also equally stronger than $$. So I really don’t see any need why anyone would move from 🇩🇪 or 🇨🇭 to 🇺🇸 if quality of life is what they’re after.

While I have not lived in Germany before (but I did my findings those times when I was interested in doing my phd in Germany or Zurich in 🇨🇭) but I’ve lived in the USA before and I’m going back there soon by God grace. But if I had the chance to obtain funding for my phd in Germany, I would have preferred..but I couldn’t despite how much I tried.
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by peleson1: 8:39pm On May 07
Hannania:

Great
Re: Phd In Germany Or Phd In The USA: Which Is Advisable ? by Hannania(m): 7:15am
anamo:

Someone earning 5,000 CHF ($5516) in Switzerland 🇨🇭 or £5000 in Germany has better quality of life than someone earning equivalent un the United States. CHF is also equally stronger than $$. So I really don’t see any need why anyone would move from 🇩🇪 or 🇨🇭 to 🇺🇸 if quality of life is what they’re after.

While I have not lived in Germany before (but I did my findings those times when I was interested in doing my phd in Germany or Zurich in 🇨🇭) but I’ve lived in the USA before and I’m going back there soon by God grace. But if I had the chance to obtain funding for my phd in Germany, I would have preferred..but I couldn’t despite how much I tried.
Migration for Africans is largely fueled by economic gains. Arguably, the standard of living is on par or even more in Germany and Switzerland. For after tax earnings, Switzerland is the only comparable country to the US in terms of net income. The German pay is heavily taxed but provides better social amenities to the US.

So if we're considering net pay, then the comparison will be USA/Switzerland

(1) (Reply)

Can Any Body Advise On How To Get A Nigerian Passport? / Should I Use Us Sponsor When Applying For My Uk Student Visa? / Please Read The Post About Seychells And Contribute What U Know

Viewing this topic: stefflos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.