Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG (13826 Views)

700MW Zungeru Hydropower Station Has Started Generating Electricity / 700MW Zungeru Power Project Worth $1.3bn To Be Completed In Q4 2022 / Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Project To Be Completed In December 2021 - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by onuman: 4:36pm On Apr 09
benuejosh:
Another news to make Obidients and emergency lovers of Nigeria sleepless this night.

Peter Obi ought to have picked a pen and start jotting down how government is being done. But mba, he prefers to be jumping up and down like he is contesting for student union election. Before you know it, he will say he got advise from a mad man.

Stink. You.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by onuman: 4:41pm On Apr 09
benuejosh:
Another news to make Obidients and emergency lovers of Nigeria sleepless this night.

Peter Obi ought to have picked a pen and start jotting down how government is being done. But mba, he prefers to be jumping up and down like he is contesting for student union election. Before you know it, he will say he got advise from a mad man.

Stinking mindset. You.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by bolseas(f): 4:44pm On Apr 09
COMPAQ:

Good answer. Let me also educate some people here. There is this common saying that $16bln power project was a scam and the money was stolen. it actually wasn't. Now not saying that in typical Nigerian fashion, some of the money wasn't stolen, but the popular story that the entire $16bln was stolen is a big lie. How do I know this?

I know this because the power plants were actually built!! The reason why they are not contributing much to the national grid is lack of gas.

If you look at all the NIPP power plants on the right of the picture, you see that some of them with installed capacity of 500 - 600MW are only contributing like 5%. The Niger Delta Power Holding Company was the legal entity set up to manage these projects. The projects are:

https://ndphc.net/generation#

Alaoji Power Plant - Rivers (Alaoji isn't on the NERC data below because its being refurbished or expanded by Chrome Engineering)
Olorunsogo Power Plant - Ondo
Calabar Power Plant (Odukpani) - Cross River
Omoku - Rivers
Omotoso - Ogun
Gbarain - Bayelsa
Ihovbor - Edo
Egbema - Imo
Sapele - Delta
Geregu - Kogi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_National_Integrated_Power_Project

Of course there was more to the $16bln than just power plants. There was also transmission lines, sub stations etc. It was mostly these areas where contractors either didn't deliver or the project was stalled and lots of items lay fallow at the port for many years.

And of course, typical of Nigeria, we didn't plan enough for where the gas would come from!! Nigerian government treated gas as something you just go and buy in the supermarket. Yes Nigeria has plenty of gas in the ground, but the forgot that it has to be drilled for, extracted, processed and sent to these power plants via pipeline. None of that was done, mainly because the domestic price for gas didn't incentivize the IOC's to be drilling for gas and selling it at a loss.

You really know a lot about the power sector. Most peolle arentok lazy to research about the NIPP especially.

In addition to your post above, the large chunk of the fund for NIPP was spent on 10 power plants, the other projects are Transmission lines and substations, teleprotection/telecommunication which handles the connection to NCC, Gas Pipelines and Metering Stations and Distribution lines and Injection Substations.

Issue has been gas supply. As the initial plans of the Obasanjo govtt was to build and sell of with the proceeds to be used to construct hydro power stations.

The Buhari govr did not contribute a dime to NIPP/NDPHC. The funds for intervention projects being carried out by NDPHC of recent arr from Internal Generated Revenue. Ni support from the government jn terms of fund.

Majority of the Distribution substations were completed. Some were energised and handed over to the DisCos. Some Discos received them others didn't citing one reason or the other.

The ones that were not energised though completed have been vandalised over the years.

Addressing the issue about whether 16b or 8b or 1.2b was spent on NIPP is another story entirely.

Nigerians should endeavour to be objective and speak the truth.concerning what the government is doing. Not everything should be seen as propaganda or to call a dog a bad name for the sake of it.

Nb. I typed from my phone
There may be typos in my post..

1 Like

Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Benwems(m): 4:46pm On Apr 09
PressMyButton:

He's gradually getting it right. He needs to settle the legal tussle around Mambila, if work could resume as soon as possible, it would a very big win.

There's no work going on with Mambilla. Mambilla will take years to complete. Nigeria's installed capability is more than 12MW. That's more than enough to give Nigerians light 24/7 but the power plans don't run at optimum capacity. Mind you this hydropower plant maybe running at only 70-80% capability too. We need ensure enough gas gets to existing power plants and adequate maintenance for the existing power plants to enable them generate power at optimum capacity. Then we move to transmission network and distribute networks which are very important. I can't type much.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by drlateef: 4:53pm On Apr 09
Obaofaba:
God bless Nigeria.

We'll surely get there.

Asiwaju gat us covered.

This is what the president meant by saying he will continue from where Buhari stopped.

Apart from the military government, which civilian government add 700megawat to our national grid at a go?

Next is mambilla power plant

Remember obasanjo and atiku stole 16billion dollars meant for power.

Up till today I have been asking Obasanjo to vomit the $16 billion yam he swallowed for our electricity. The thieving old man has been stubbornly quiet. I remind him every time he criticises any government, but he has kept quiet. Oole barawo.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by VincciDaOneAndO(m): 5:21pm On Apr 09
Cry more, obedient fuul
rinzaugustine:
Lies and propaganda as usual
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Emir01: 5:24pm On Apr 09
Obaofaba:
God bless Nigeria.

We'll surely get there.

Asiwaju gat us covered.

This is what the president meant by saying he will continue from where Buhari stopped.

Apart from the military government, which civilian government add 700megawat to our national grid at a go?

Next is mambilla power plant

Remember obasanjo and atiku stole 16billion dollars meant for power.

Is a Buhari project
God bless Asiwaju
God bless Nigeria
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by ArewaNorth: 5:47pm On Apr 09
olisaEze:

You’re being circumspect with the truth, my broda. According to Chief Adelabu, the Min. Of Power/Energy, the Seimens deal lay moribund for 6 years after the death of Abba Kyari, and has just been renegotiated for the third time, by the BAT administration last year. Out of ten transformers only five have been installed, and out of ten substations only three have been installed. Non is working yet, as they all have to be commissioned and energized before Nigerians can benefit. I don’t know where you’re getting the timeline of days & weeks from as not even the Minister has mentioned any specific dates.

I'm in the system, I participated in the installation work. He may politicise the project but I can guarantee you facts for revisionism purpose to take the credit of the work. More than 100 transformers for world Bank funded and Siemens project have been installed in the last 2yrs. Siemens is project is overated compared to world Bank project. There is more than ₦2trillion ongoing project under TCN currently across the Nation, more have been done between 2021-2023. I always wonder what he is trying to achieve. Of course the project was delayed due to COVID-19 but please I beg you to follow these handles on Twitter and carefully read their posts prior to Adelabu's appointment and see who is lying or not:

https:///TCN_NIGERIA?s=09

https:///fgnpcppi?s=09
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by PHAYOL81: 5:48pm On Apr 09
Okay.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by ArewaNorth: 6:03pm On Apr 09
olisaEze:

You’re being circumspect with the truth, my broda. According to Chief Adelabu, the Min. Of Power/Energy, the Seimens deal lay moribund for 6 years after the death of Abba Kyari, and has just been renegotiated for the third time, by the BAT administration last year. Out of ten transformers only five have been installed, and out of ten substations only three have been installed. Non is working yet, as they all have to be commissioned and energized before Nigerians can benefit. I don’t know where you’re getting the timeline of days & weeks from as not even the Minister has mentioned any specific dates.

10 Power Transformers & 10 Mobile Substations ordered in Dec 2021, and which began arriving in Sept 2022.

5 Transformers installed & commissioned:

Okene, Kogi
Amukpe, Delta
Potiskum, Yobe
Apo, FCT,
Ihovbor, Edo
While the rest have been installed waiting for commissioning like the one at Birnin Kebbi, however, the mobile transformers were allocated to the stations in need like Bichi, in Kano and Lagos among other places. The renegotiation is important because Siemens have been complaining about inflation and started regretting signing the deal which look like they are losing in the deal. In March, 2022 it was clear The Presidential Power Initiative (PPI) - aka “Siemens” - has 5 workstreams:

—Transmission (substations, transformers, transmission lines)
—Distribution (substations, transformers, etc)
—Network Simulation
—Meter Data Mgt (revenue transparency)
—Training / Capacity Building

Factory testing of the 10 contracted Mobitra Transformers (see earlier tweets in thread; contract awarded December 2021) scheduled to take place this month (July), in Italy, ahead of commencement of delivery in September 2022.

UPDATE: July 2022

Factory Acceptance Testing concluded for the Mobile Transformers, at the SIEMENS factory in Trento, Italy. Delivery will commence in Sept. (The Mobile substations will be delivered in 2023).

Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Menclothing1: 6:12pm On Apr 09
State government should invest in Electricity generation and distribution then we will have more light

So many power by pass

All prepaid meter should be on pole bypass and forfeit your property
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by GindoX(m): 6:13pm On Apr 09
ggood:
Why must everything be connected to national grid , why can't State generate their own electricity

Guy you just talk sense jaree... Let every State generates
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Yadid(m): 6:20pm On Apr 09
Looks like I'm the only one that noticed that the article explained that the former minister for power in May 2023 said the same HEP had been tested and connected to the national grid. Yet the present minister for power is saying that they just started the testing and just did the connection to the national grid. Something is definitely amiss. How's the present minister claiming to be doing something that the former minister claimed to have done last year?
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Blackdisciple(m): 7:39pm On Apr 09
ggood:
Why must everything be connected to national grid , why can't State generate their own electricity

I just can't understand oo same national grid that used to collapse every now and then.....
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Blackdisciple(m): 7:46pm On Apr 09
Why connecting to the always collapsed national grid why can't that plant be connected to every corner it can reach just the way NESCO did in jos those days abi na whining...

NESCO in Jos did not connect to any miserable national grid...
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by IMAliyu(m): 7:50pm On Apr 09
allabig:
1000 mw can power 170 houses.

lol.

Where did you get that value from?
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by IMAliyu(m): 7:57pm On Apr 09
Inspirer1:
May it be a success

Mathematically,

$1.3 billion project meets approximately 10% of our need
Therefore, 10 X $1.3 billion = $13 billion should be able to meet almost all our electricity need in terms of generation.

I wish they had judiciously used the "$16 billion dollars" back then to fix this our power problem

There is a bit of a bottleneck here.

This is a Hydroelectric plant, meaning the problem is that their is a limited number of natural waterways (rivers) that you could feasibly build a Hydroelectric dam with in the country, i would think.
So, there would need to be a mix of other types of power plants, which could in reality be cheaper or more expensive.

1 Like

Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by rinzaugustine: 7:59pm On Apr 09
VincciDaOneAndO:
Cry more, obedient fuul
brain dead Agbado keep crying
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by damoobaba: 7:59pm On Apr 09
ggood:

You should do your research, states can now GENERATE electricity. I just observed that MOST OBEDIENTS are dumb people who dont even know jack about how the economy is run. Hardly will you find any notable Nigerian support the obidient movement and they call themselves SANE NIGERIANS. Honestly, obi just carry fooooks join body. Leader of foooools.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by rinzaugustine: 8:01pm On Apr 09
Golan007:

The news dey pain your papa head.

grin
your mama Toto
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by ggood: 8:06pm On Apr 09
damoobaba:

You should do your research, states can now GENERATE electricity. I just observed that MOST OBEDIENTS are dumb people who dont even know jack about how the economy is run. Hardly will you find any notable Nigerian support the obidient movement and they call themselves SANE NIGERIANS. Honestly, obi just carry fooooks join body. Leader of foooools.
so everyone is now Obidient, what stop FG from removing Electricity bill from Exclusive list since 1999
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Golan007: 8:11pm On Apr 09
rinzaugustine:
your mama Toto

See painment.

grin
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Max24: 8:26pm On Apr 09
I thought obidients said these are audio projects. Now Tinubu has started delivering projects to their shame. What legacy projects did Pandora leave in Anambra as gov.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by damoobaba: 8:28pm On Apr 09
ggood:
so everyone is now Obidient, what stop FG from removing Electricity bill from Exclusive list since 1999

Dont really understand where youre coming from? Obasanjo was the President in 1999 and was of the PDP. HE STOOD AGAINST TINUBU in 1999 when the later wanted to start power generation with ENRON POWER LTD (you can research that). Its d reason I thought you were an obidient because theyre usually the one that ask dumb questions.

It was the APC that eventually got electricity off the exclusive list.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Inspirer1: 8:45pm On Apr 09
IMAliyu:

There is a bit of a bottleneck here.

This is a Hydroelectric plant, meaning the problem is that their is a limited number of natural waterways (rivers) that you could feasibly build a Hydroelectric dam with in the country, i would think.
So, there would need to be a mix of other types of power plants, which could in reality be cheaper or more expensive.
a broader consideration 👍
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by honeyB2018: 10:20pm On Apr 09
Paraman:

https://punchng.com/testing-begins-on-700mw-zungeru-hydroelectric-power-plant-fg/?utm_source=telegram&utm_medium=social

Please what is the position of Port Harcourt refinery?
Has it started production? Just asking.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by okoloto: 8:02am On Apr 10
Propaganda. Until we start noticing improved electricity will be believe.
When aba electricity project started producing, all living in ABA say the effect
APC and propaganda is like 5&6
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by Growing(m): 9:42am On Apr 10
Generating power and adding to the grid is still centralization of power.

Power should be decentralized.

States should seriously get involved in this for the benefit of Nigerians.
Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by banku: 12:59pm On Apr 10
I thought Tinubu had the right idea then and Obasanjo was wrong.

But remember Enron was a Fraud.

Anything around states generating power could have been good. If not by fraudulent Enron, by any other means.

Most of the International corporations saw Africa as a place to make quick money without delivering e.g Ajaokuta Steel because of excessive kickbacks.

damoobaba:

Dont really understand where youre coming from? Obasanjo was the President in 1999 and was of the PDP. HE STOOD AGAINST TINUBU in 1999 when the later wanted to start power generation with ENRON POWER LTD (you can research that). Its d reason I thought you were an obidient because theyre usually the one that ask dumb questions.

It was the APC that eventually got electricity off the exclusive list.

1 Like

Re: Testing Begins On 700MW Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Plant – FG by damoobaba: 2:59pm On Apr 10
banku:
I thought Tinubu had the right idea then and Obasanjo was wrong.

But remember Enron was a Fraud.

Anything around states generating power could have been good. If not by fraudulent Enron, by any other means.

Most of the International corporations saw Africa as a place to make quick money without delivering e.g Ajaokuta Steel because of excessive kickbacks.

Once again, I will assume youre speaking like an obidient with no reasonable evidence. Maybe you need to put forward your facts that made you think Enron was a fraud. Otherwise youre just another child of hate that will never enjoy any of the good fruits that these administration will eventually produce by God's grace.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prepare For More Flood, NIMET Tells Nigerians / Accord Party, 44 Others Endorse Sanwo-olu, Form Coalition Ahead 2019 Election / Lawan Got Party Endorsement In 2015 And Still Lost Senate Presidency – Ndume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.