Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,938 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

Virtual Assistant - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Virtual Assistant (90 Views)

Prime Virtual Assistant / Obinna Ebirim, Doctor Works As Kitchen Assistant In UK To Make Extra Money / Farouk Kyari, Abba Kyari's Brother Graduates As Assistant Police Superintendent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Virtual Assistant by DynamicContentc(f): 3:47pm On Apr 12
Your 'Virtual Assistant" is not your title

Thinking virtual assistant is just a job title? It's much more - it's a whole industry. It's a whole job area with lots of different tasks. Sometimes, people get mixed up because they think "Virtual Assistant" means one specific job. But actually, there are a lot of things you can do as a virtual assistant.

That's why when you tell people what you do, you should be really clear about your skills. Don't just say "I'm a virtual assistant." Tell them exactly what you can do. This helps people who might want to hire you understand better, and it also makes you stand out from others. Being clear about your job is super important if you want to be noticed or stand out.

The Wide World of Virtual Assistance

Virtual assistance is like a big umbrella where each tool helps with different tasks, all done over the Internet. It's not just about sending emails or planning schedules, but it's also about using special computer programs to analyze data, protect against hackers, or even design products. People who work as virtual assistants can choose from a wide range of niches - from organizing things and writing to doing complex technical stuff like making sure computer systems are safe or creating new software. So, when we say virtual assistance, we're really talking about all these different works that people can do behind their computers, helping others in many ways, using both simple and very technical skills.

Why Your Virtual Assistant Title Isn't as Important as You Think.

Your "Virtual Assistant" title will not land you a job because it doesn't allow your potential clients to understand what you actually do. What people are particularly concerned with when they come to your profile on any freelancing site - is your specifics. Eg IT Project Manager, Admin Virtual Assistant, Front-end developer, etc.

Clients are looking for someone who can solve specific problems. Whether you are the Copywriting King, the Social Media Queen, or the ch wizard, those titles are on you, no disrespect. The point is to say what you do amidst your Virtual Assistant title. Remember it's an industry and not what you do.

Beyond a Title.

I was at a networking event one time and someone who sat very close to me, more like a seat partner, was trying to network with me and she asked, "What do you do? " I blurted out the Almighty title "Virtual Assistant".

I got a weird look from her, more of an "explain more look". I was going to be shocked that in this time and age, no one understood what being a virtual assistant is, but no, that was not the case. I was sincerely the one who had confused her the more by not being specific with what I did.

And, that got me thinking ever since. After that event, I decided I would not allow myself to go through the stress of explaining who I am to people I meet. A sentence should do the work for me perfectly. That was when I also realized that this title was not the ideal thing. It is okay to be identified under an Industry but pick a niche out of thousands of things that industry does and stand yourself out.

I could have easily been mistaken to be some kind of software or technical kind of virtual assistant. But in the real sense, that's not who I am. I am an Admin Assistant. I have been sitting behind the desk for 4 years now. Four years in, and I'm just as excited about executive administrative work as day one.

I wouldn't want to throw this beautiful, more detailed description of me under a title that doesn't allow people to understand what I can do for them or positions me as an authority.

Eg; I am Cynthia, Executive Administrative Assistant. I help Real Estate Agents, Influencers, Business owners, Coaches, and Speakers with Administrative Support.

So think of what you will be identified as and go with. Help people understand you. Focus on the services you offer to clients. That should be your title or identification. Getting clarity on this will also help you with Public titles, maybe for your business flier, business cards, events, and all.

Now to you, what's your title? Was this helpful? Please drop me a comment.

Thank you
Cynthia Ozumba.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What If I Reveal A Method To Earn Your First $250 Online With Chrome & Whatsapp / Affiliate Marketing: Empowering Entrepreneurs And Transforming Lives / Professional Academic And Medical Translation Service To Work And Study Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.