Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? (1959 Views)

What Determines The Value Of A Country's Currency? / When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) / ‘Anyone Caught Abusing The Naira Will Face Jail Terms’ – CBN Warns Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 3:29pm On Apr 13
Emefiele cannot borrow money to do that. Prove it!

If you wanna defend failure, go ahead without making it seems Emefiele was responsible for Bubu's ineptitude.

APC met dollar below N200 so why has the APC not been able to bring down $ for 9yrs below N200?
Iamgrey5:
True value or "Fair value" of naira is at rate CBN is able to add to the foreign reverse and defend the Naira at the same time without borrowing to do so.

Alot of expact have put that at 900 Naira to a dollar.

Emefile was borrowing money to subsidize the Naira and keep it at an artificial rate. Hence, we don't know how bad the economy has gone.

CBN are the one in control of 80% of the foreign reverse inflow into the country so they will have to intervene in the market from time to time.

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 3:30pm On Apr 13
You're ok with this?
Epistasis:
The true value of naira to a dollar should be around #700 according to Wale Edun mid last year. Add one to two, it shouldn't be more than #900 to a dollar.
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Ofunaofu: 3:31pm On Apr 13
predictor1:
So you can not show us where you saw the authorities say naira would crash further when it was at #1900. Your hatred for Nigeria and the president will kill you sooner than you think.

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 3:31pm On Apr 13
Show source of your info else its beer parlour gossips
Iamgrey5:
Emefile was subsidizing the Naira.

Selling it at value that is considered lower than the fair value and he was borrowing heavily to do so.

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 3:33pm On Apr 13
His predecessors? Which of his predecessors had this high exchange rate? All his predecessors are better than Cardoso!
crestedaguiyi:
English is the problem.

Emefiele was subsidizing while cardoso is intervening grin grin grin grin.

What have we started producing that we were not producing.

They have about 30 cargos awaiting for buyers yet the naira is rising , non oil export has not risen significantly. I really would like to know what the commercial banker is doing differently from his predecessors

Either there is something going on or something was going on but has stopped
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by SmartyPants(m): 3:35pm On Apr 13
Ofunaofu:
The above title is a result of the current happenings with regard to the naira. 

In February this year, when the Naira crashed to an all-time high in it's history, exchanging at N1900 to a dollar and even approaching N2000 to a dollar at the black market, Nigerians were screaming, shouting, and telling Tinubu that his economic policies were hurting the Naira. The defense put up by Tinubu, the CBN governor, their supporters, Bulaban, Agbadorians, and minions was that the naira was finding its true value. Though the naira has regained strength, they have now turned around to accuse other Nigerians of being happy when the naira crashed. What a confused set of humans, I must say. 

They also said that the rate of N1900 to a dollar wasn't the true value of the naira. That the naira was going to crash more to reach its true value.
In fact, in the words of the CBN governor, Mr. Cardoso, the naira was undervalued at the rate it was exchanging. It was going to crash more.

They accused Emefiele of so many things, one of which was that he was illegally using our foreign exchange reserves to defend the naira to arrive at below N760 to a dollar it was exchanging at the black market during his time as CBN governor.

Today, the naira has regained strength from N1900 it was exchanging in February to between N1070 and N1120 for a dollar. With efforts being made for the naira to regain more strength

So, I ask again, what's the true value of the naira? 

Modified

You are one thoroughly bush man! grin

Undervalued means it is trading a t a value below its real value. Meaning it is expected to climb not fall.

Where you go school??

6 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by idahme(m): 3:36pm On Apr 13
CilicMarin:
Stark illiterate:

You don't even know what it means by the line: "Naira is undervalued".

I stopped reading at that.

Bloodykiller.,..go back to school. grin

You are the illiterate for saying nothing. You should have kept quiet if you had nothing to say.

Empty vessels makes the loudest noise, I thought you were about give him a superior critically exuded thought but I was wrong you. You are not comparable to who you want to throw in the mud.
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Iamgrey5(m): 3:44pm On Apr 13
DMerciful:
Show source of your info else its beer parlour gossips

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/cbn-spends-4-7bn-to-defend-naira/amp/

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Iamgrey5(m): 3:46pm On Apr 13
DMerciful:
Emefiele cannot borrow money to do that. Prove it!

If you wanna defend failure, go ahead without making it seems Emefiele was responsible for Bubu's ineptitude.

APC met dollar below N200 so why has the APC not been able to bring down $ for 9yrs below N200?

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL8N39S4VT/

I hope you know how to read and understand business terminologies.?

2 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Ofunaofu: 3:53pm On Apr 13
SmartyPants:

You are one thoroughly bush man! grin

Undervalued means it is trading a t a value below its real value. Meaning it is expected to climb not fall.

Where you go school??

What is the value?

An unthoroughly bush man
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 3:54pm On Apr 13
Nowhere in the report did it says the borrowed money was used to defend the naira. You're making things up
Iamgrey5:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL8N39S4VT/

I hope you know how to read and understand business terminologies.?
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by SmartyPants(m): 3:55pm On Apr 13
Ofunaofu:

What is the value?

An unthoroughly bush man

The value lies in the region of #600 - 900.

4 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 3:55pm On Apr 13
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Ofunaofu: 3:57pm On Apr 13
SmartyPants:

The value lies in the region of #600 - 900.

Really!

An unthoroughly bush man
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Iamgrey5(m): 4:06pm On Apr 13
DMerciful:
Nowhere in the report did it says the borrowed money was used to defend the naira. You're making things up
Extract from report sir

The central bank also reported borrowing $7.5 billion from U.S. banks JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs by pledging securities, and entered into 30-day forward contracts totalling 3.15 trillion naira in 2022

3 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Iamgrey5(m): 4:09pm On Apr 13
DMerciful:
Cardoso is doing exactly the same thing!
Cardsoso is not doing exactly the same.

Hence, your currency was allowed to fall to 2000 naira before CBN will start intervention in the market.

The CBN now wants metrics like Market forces i.e (equilibrium of supply and demand), the rate at which CBN can also defend without borrowing to determine the new dollar/Naira rate.

It's no longer artificially set at a given price where they have to defend it recklessly.

3 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 4:15pm On Apr 13
You're gaslighting yourself bro. Cardoso is doing exactly the same thing. When Cardoso sells $ at a certain price, thats fixing $ at that price, all other things you're saying is verbiage
Iamgrey5:
Cardsoso is not doing exactly the same.

Hence, your currency was allowed to fall to 2000 naira before CBN will start intervention in the market.

The CBN now wants metrics like Market forces i.e (equilibrium of supply and demand), the rate at which CBN can also defend without borrowing to determine the new dollar/Naira rate.

It's no longer artificially set at a given price where they have to defend it recklessly.
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 4:19pm On Apr 13
Where did it say this birrowed money was used to defend the naira?
Iamgrey5:
Extract from report sir

The central bank also reported borrowing $7.5 billion from U.S. banks JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs by pledging securities, and entered into 30-day forward contracts totalling 3.15 trillion naira in 2022
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DevilsEqual(m): 4:20pm On Apr 13
DMerciful:
You're gaslighting yourself bro. Cardoso is doing exactly the same thing. When Cardoso sells $ at a certain price, thats fixing $ at that price, all other things you're saying is verbiage

He explained to u using basic economics terminology and to counter him, U just went straight to repeating the vague and unrelated stuffs you've been saying since morning cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 4:22pm On Apr 13
The explanation is trying to gaslight me using jargons. Bottomline is Cardoso is spending dollars to defend the naira. That was what Emefiele did
DevilsEqual:

He explained to u using basic economics terminology and to counter him, U just went straight to repeating the vague and unrelated stuffs you've been saying since morning cheesy cheesy
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Iamgrey5(m): 4:25pm On Apr 13
DMerciful:
I really doubt you know anything about economics

Cardsoso sells at 1150 but the real market settles around 1050 naira. That is what is called market forces determination of price( it shows demand is lower than supply)

The moment Cardsoso sells at 750 but the reaction in the market is to sell at 753 Naira to Nigerians, That will simply mean supply and demand of dollars in the Nigerian economy is at almost or at equilibrium.

This is a complete departure from Emefile' policy who fixed the rate at 450 while the real market kept tumbling upon to it got to 750 naira.

The 300 naira that is in the middle is the subsidy CBN was paying on the Naira, So he was borrowing to cover the 300 Naira that only few Nigerians benefited from.

3 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 4:29pm On Apr 13
Anything above $216 APC met it is unacceptable! So far Emefiele performed better because exchange rate was around N500.

Whatever money you think Cardoso is saving is being looted by Tinubu and Gbajabiamila so it doesnt impact the common man
Iamgrey5:
I really doubt you know anything about economics

Cardsoso sells at 1150 but the real market settles around 1050 naira. That is what is called market forces determination of price( it shows demand is lower than supply)

The moment Cardsoso sells at 750 but the reaction in the market is to sell at 753 Naira to Nigerians, That will simply mean supply and demand of dollars in the Nigerian economy is at almost or at equilibrium.

This is a complete departure from Emefile' policy who fixed the rate at 450 while the real market kept tumbling upon to it got to 750 naira.

The 300 naira that is in the middle is the subsidy CBN was paying on the Naira, So he was borrowing to cover the 300 Naira that only few Nigerians benefit from.

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Iamgrey5(m): 4:34pm On Apr 13
DMerciful:
Anything above $216 APC met it is unacceptable! So far Emefiele performed better because exchange rate was around N500.

Whatever money you think Cardoso is saving is being looted by Tinubu and Gbajabiamila so it doesnt impact the common man
Exchange rate was around 700 to 800 before Emefile's departure without the subsidy.

That is exactly where it's heading again.

Nigeria oil production has fallen from the close to 3 million barrels in year 2015 to 1.5 to 1.7 and price of crude oil is not at 100 dollars per barrel as it was in 2015. So I don't know how you want CBN governor to return the rate to 250 to a dollar.

The Nigerian budget has also grown without substantial growth in TaX income and GDP.

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by DMerciful(m): 4:42pm On Apr 13
For 9yrs APC keep saying crude oil price is low...how is that possible? The average price of crude oil in the 9yrs of APC is probably higher or same as the average price during the 16yrs of the PDP.

If successive APC govts are unable to achieve 2.2 million barrels per day, whose fault is that?

If you really care about Tinubu's rating, advice his govt to bring prices of goods and services to below how he met them because every person who understands gap analysis will always do the before and after. No explanation is needed to justify why the after is not better than the before no matter how beautiful the reasons may be.

The reason Nigeria has been progressively falling is because the before is always better than the after
Iamgrey5:
Exchange rate was around 700 to 800 before Emefile's departure without the subsidy.

That is exactly where it's heading again.

Nigeria oil production has fallen from the close to 3 million barrels in year 2015 to 1.5 to 1.7 and price of crude oil is not at 100 dollars per barrel as it was in 2015. So I don't know how you want CBN governor to return the rate to 250 to a dollar.

The Nigerian budget has also grown without substantial growth in TaX income and GDP.

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by ObiPandora: 4:43pm On Apr 13
As value of any currency been constant since you start learning about foreign currency ? If you know of one name it.

3exe3:
Does this mean the true value is nt a constant

2 Likes

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by predictor1: 6:21pm On Apr 13
Ofunaofu:

Did you see the word "authorities" in my post?
Who are the experts that predicted naira will crash further? Was it the CBN? You must be an ibo man. Those ones who usually wish Nigeria bad.

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by predictor1: 6:23pm On Apr 13
ObiPandora:
As value of any currency been constant since you start learning about foreign currency ? If you know of one name it.

They talk like stupid illiterates. Even the dollar today has lost 40 cents against the 2010 dollar.

1 Like

Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by crestedaguiyi: 6:55pm On Apr 13
Donaldoni:

Is there a NGN300+ gap between the official market and the black market

Has the rate ever been lesser at the black market than the official market

If you answer questions you are not asked in an exam yet I will fail

I will not tell you anything again
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Kukutenla: 8:06pm On Apr 13
predictor1:
They talk like stupid illiterates. Even the dollar today has lost 40 cents against the 2010 dollar.
So this is where you've been "busy"?

30k pay per post zombie
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by CodeTemplar: 8:15pm On Apr 13
Ofunaofu:
The above title is a result of the current happenings with regard to the naira. 

In February this year, when the Naira crashed to an all-time high in it's history, exchanging at N1900 to a dollar and even approaching N2000 to a dollar at the black market, Nigerians were screaming, shouting, and telling Tinubu that his economic policies were hurting the Naira. The defense put up by Tinubu, the CBN governor, their supporters, Bulaban, Agbadorians, and minions was that the naira was finding its true value. Though the naira has regained strength, they have now turned around to accuse other Nigerians of being happy when the naira crashed. What a confused set of humans, I must say. 

They also said that the rate of N1900 to a dollar wasn't the true value of the naira. That the naira was going to crash more to reach its true value.
In fact, in the words of the CBN governor, Mr. Cardoso, the naira was undervalued at the rate it was exchanging. It was going to crash more.

They accused Emefiele of so many things, one of which was that he was illegally using our foreign exchange reserves to defend the naira to arrive at below N760 to a dollar it was exchanging at the black market during his time as CBN governor.

Today, the naira has regained strength from N1900 it was exchanging in February to between N1070 and N1120 for a dollar. With efforts being made for the naira to regain more strength

So, I ask again, what's the true value of the naira? 

Modified
Your brain is inferior to my kidney. If oblongata is connected to my kidney, it will out debate and outperform your brain.
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by Ofunaofu: 8:31pm On Apr 13
CodeTemplar:
Your brain is inferior to my kidney. If oblongata is connected to my kidney, it will out debate and outperform your brain.

This is an evidence that you lack the capacity to comprehend simple and precise english
Re: Exchange Rate: What Is Now The True Value Of The Naira? by predictor1: 8:34pm On Apr 13
Kukutenla:

So this is where you've been "busy"?

30k pay per post zombie
Omo, this thing dey really pain you o. grin You are now reduced to following me around like the dog you are.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Intercontinental Bank Is Not Healthy, Don't Be Fooled ! / How Big Is The Jewelry Business In Nigeria? / Abonnema Wharf - Port Harcourt's Dangerous Jetty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.