Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations (3283 Views)

How To Establish A Bottle Water/pure Water Factory (estimates & Costs Included) / Need Advice On A Profitable Business To Establish With N4,000,000 / What It Takes To Establish A Bureau De Change(experts Only, No Clowning.thanks!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by aloyemeka4: 2:14am On Nov 18, 2011
[size=14pt]Ondo to establish sugarcane plantations[/size]
Written by Yinka Oladoyinbo, Akure
Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Ondo State government has said it will establish sugarcane plantations in each of the three senatorial districts of the state in its bid to ensure maximum utilisation of the agricultural resources for economic development.

The move, aimed at creating employment for the people of the state, is also for the industrial development of the state.

The state Commissioner for Agriculture, Ademola Olorunfemi, told newsmen in Akure, on Wednesday, that the government had concluded plans to acquire large expanse of land in the three senatorial districts for the purpose of the plantations.

According to him, such lands would be allocated to farmers who would be clustered, for maximum derivation of input assistance from the state.

He said the project, which would be a pilot one for the development of sugarcane farms, would be implemented with the involvement of local farmers with the aim of creating employment.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/31401-ondo-to-establish-sugarcane-plantations
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by ektbear: 2:28am On Nov 18, 2011
Not bad. But also establish a sugar mill to process the products of these plantations. Producing raw agricultural products is not enough, we need to add value. . .
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by aloyemeka4: 2:38am On Nov 18, 2011
Dangote will frustrate that effort I tell you.
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by segunjowo(m): 1:05pm On Nov 18, 2011
Why will Dangote do that?
He shouldn't oh! else I will personally curse him,
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:58pm On Nov 18, 2011
Freaking sugarcane plantation How about SLAVE COLONY Whenever I hear sugarcane plantation I get this ache in my stomach!!! The Hatians destroyed all the sugarcane plantation that was established by the french after they gallantly fought them(the french) and chased them out! Reason; they dont want trace of anything that will remind them of there ordeal in the hands of wicked and heartless white slave torturers!
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by Elizadath: 2:02pm On Nov 18, 2011
I foresee ONDO STATE TO BE A MODEL STATE SOON. PEOPLE ARROUND THE WILL BE TRIPING IN AND OUT OF THE STATE AND THE STATE ECONOMY IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE COAST OF WEST AFRICA.
ONDO STATE IS THE NEXT BIG THING IN THE HISTORY OF NG.
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 18, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Freaking sugarcane plantation How about SLAVE COLONY Whenever I hear sugarcane plantation I get this ache in my stomach!!! The Hatians destroyed all the sugarcane plantation that was established by the french after they gallantly fought them(the french) and chased them out! Reason; they dont want trace of anything that will remind them of there ordeal in the hands of wicked and heartless white slave torturers!

But Nigeria spends too much of her earnings on the essential commodity called sugar!
Domestic production of sugar had suffered considerably with the output declining from 41851 tonnes in 1990 to mere 4000 tonnes in 2000.
It has not been possible for domestic output to meet up to 5 percent of sugar supply in the country during the period. There has been heavy reliance on import

Even in the face of declining domestic output, sugar import could not be allowed to rise continuously due to foreign exchange difficulties. [b]The overall consequence, is that per capita consumption of sugar in Nigeria has been very low.  It stood at 8.0 kg in 1999 far behind the world figure of 20.8 kg and figures in some developing countries such as Swaziland (69.0 kg), Gibraltar (83.3 kg), Singapore (69.0 kg) just to mention a fe[/b]w (see Busari, 2004) Hitherto, sugar production in the country had been carried out largely by two government-owned companies which had demonstrated very woeful performance over the years

Source: COMPETITIVE COMMERCIAL AGRICULTURE IN AFRICA STUDY (CCAA) - NIGERIA CASE STUDY (Professor Aderibigbe S. Olomola Director, Agriculture and Rural Development Department Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), Ibadan)
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTAFRICA/Resources/257994-1215457178567/CCAA_Nigeria_report.pdf
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by Honeycity(f): 2:51pm On Nov 18, 2011
Elizadath:

I foresee ONDO STATE TO BE A MODEL STATE SOON. PEOPLE ARROUND THE WILL BE TRIPING IN AND OUT OF THE STATE AND THE STATE ECONOMY IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE COAST OF WEST AFRICA.
I'm so proud of my state cheesy
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by Kx: 3:38pm On Nov 18, 2011
why not cocoa instead of sugar cane
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by ronkebp(f): 4:02pm On Nov 18, 2011
Kx:

why not cocoa instead of sugar cane

They can do both and even more sef!!!
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by gidson12(m): 7:59pm On Nov 18, 2011
Elizadath:

keep dreaming dear,
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by atakiti(m): 8:35pm On Nov 18, 2011
sugercane my ass. is that the nxt thing to do in that state full of unemployed graduates. i think that is not the best thing to do for now. think of another things that will benefit the unemployed, so that they too can be employed and turn a new leaf for themselves,
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by Gerrard59(m): 8:40pm On Nov 18, 2011
Private sector provide empolyment not government. Just create the enabling envirnoment for the private investors to invest. Are we practicing COMMUNISM?
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 10:13pm On Nov 18, 2011
Gerrard59:

Private sector provide empolyment not government. Just create the enabling envirnoment for the private investors to invest. Are we practicing COMMUNISM?
what do u think?
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by viewlekan: 10:50pm On Nov 18, 2011
gidson12:

keep dreaming dear,

I agree that it is just dreams. Ondo state can do far better than that with all the intellectuals that the state supposedly produces. The government should be looking for more creative and innovative ways of creating employment and raising revenue, however it is the name of the journalist that makes me laugh, lol. Surely, he would have had a hard time explaining to people the meaning of his name, OLADOYINBO,
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by stillme(m): 7:52am On Nov 19, 2011
It's hightime nigerians start thinking like the rest of the world. The journey of a mile start with one step. Ondo ride on
Re: Ondo To Establish Sugarcane Plantations by marvel4ben: 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2011
Governor Mimiko should complete all the project he started before embarkin on another one.We the people of Ondo state are not freak about all his lies on air again.since his inception on 24/02/2009 how many project has he completed and commissioned?he is just looking for what to say and make people feel they should vote him for second time, NO WAY!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Start A Home Based Business With =n=70,000 / Timberland Boots For Sale Female Marketers Need.... / 16 Rich Habits That Will Help You In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.