Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

My Farm Projects This Year. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Farm Projects This Year. (704 Views)

Major Reasons Farm Projects Of Absentee Farmer Fails (My Story) / These Animals Were Killed While Ploughing My Farm Yesterday / Big Python I Killed In My Farm Today And What Has Become Of It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 3:04pm On Apr 14
Good day Nairalanders, I created this diary to document my farming experience this year.

I have read so many threads on crop cultivation on this forum and yearned to start something myself but the opportunity only came this year so I grabbed it with my two hands.

My parents are retired civil servants and are practicing farmers. While growing up, we ate mostly what we grew on the farm and I am glad to say I became one of the farm hands from the age of six.

So this terrain is not a strange one for me. I shall draw from my previous experience and from the knowledge I acquired from this Forum to execute this project. I pray for the strength to update this thread regularly.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by ForValour: 3:08pm On Apr 14
Following. Where is the farm located
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 3:19pm On Apr 14
Makurdi, Benue State.
ForValour:
Following. Where is the farm located
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by ForValour: 3:24pm On Apr 14
jospepper:
Makurdi, Benue State.
I plan going to Oturpo next from Delta next month. keep the thread updated
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 3:52pm On Apr 14
Ok, I will. Thanks for following.
ForValour:
I plan going to Oturpo next from Delta next month. keep the thread updated
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 4:01pm On Apr 14
FARM SITE SELECTION

So I was able to lease four parcels of land in different locations close to the State capital but not far from each other.
I got this for 36,000 Naira for one year. This particular plot needs no weeding as there are no grasses on it.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 4:09pm On Apr 14
I also got another 3 plots that measure 9201.26, 5966.47 and 6230.38 metre square each.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 4:17pm On Apr 14
COST OF LEASING THE FOUR PARCELS OF LAND

1. 11681.4 m2 = 36,000

2. 9201.26, m2 =36,000

3. 5966.47 m2 = 18,000

4. 6230.38 m2 =18,000

Transport and other miscellaneous costs = 4,000.
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 4:25pm On Apr 14
No 1. needs no clearing

Number 2. has been cleared...

Remaining 3 and 4.

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by Mandem2: 4:57pm On Apr 14
Are you the owner of the cows in the pictures?

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by 99thEnemy(m): 6:11pm On Apr 14
Msughuu tom. cool

A true Benue man.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by Redomi(m): 2:10pm On Apr 15
Work never start I don dey see cows

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by Emeskhalifa(m): 3:03pm On Apr 15
Wait.... Are those your cows? If no, hope you won't have issue with them when you start o
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 8:48am On Apr 17
Good morning guys. The past two days have been hectic. I have been out and about looking for labourers since tractors are not easy to come by. Yesterday I got about four boys from my work place who made 31 ridges for me. I only took care of their transport and feeding.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 9:47am On Apr 17
This is what they were able to achieve yesterday.

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 9:52am On Apr 17
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by Jamestown123: 8:05am On Apr 19
jospepper:
Good morning guys. The past two days have been hectic. I have been out and about looking for labourers since tractors are not easy to come by. Yesterday I got about four boys from my work place who made 31 ridges for me. I only took care of their transport and feeding.
Only 31 ridges made by 4 boys? Those boys are lazy or it's not their area of work. 1 person, especially those TIV's guys can make more than 100 ridges a day.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 8:23am On Apr 19
Jamestown123:
Only 31 ridges made by 4 boys? Those boys are lazy or it's not their area of work. 1 person, especially those TIV's guys can make more than 100 ridges a day.
Na so free things the always dey.
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 8:35am On Apr 19
I was at the farm yesterday morning to supervise the clearing of the last plot. There was complete breakdown of peace!

A man came to stop my workers that he also paid for the same plot. The boys too no gree grin grin so a fight ensued. So I intervened to calm down the situation and took the man to the house of the person I leased the land from. I discovered he collected money from the man too for the same plot. After much argument he agreed to give the man another plot or return his money.

I was so disappointed in the man.

2 Likes

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 8:52am On Apr 19
I also bought 12kg of hybrid maize seed.

The variety is Oba Super 6 from Premier seeds. This takes about 100 to 110 days to mature.

A pack of 2kg is 2500 Naira.

I plan to plant this on about half a hectare.

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by 99thEnemy(m): 8:58am On Apr 19
jospepper:
I also bought 12kg of hybrid maize seed.

The variety is Oba Super 6 from Premier seeds. This takes about 100 to 110 days to mature.

A pack of 2kg is 2500 Naira.

I plan to plant this on about half a hectare.

I am coming to find you in the next 4 months. grin

I love roasted kyureke. grin

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by Jamestown123: 10:42am On Apr 19
jospepper:
Na so free things the always dey.
Oh na free self. Sorry I been think say you dey pay them. Goodluck sir.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 10:49am On Apr 19
People are asking you if you're the owner of the cows they saw on your land, you didn't reply them
Tomorrow now, nah you go come here dey shout Fulani herdsmen destroyed my investment.... Continue
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by ForValour: 1:22pm On Apr 20
jospepper:
I was at the farm yesterday morning to supervise the clearing of the last plot. There was complete breakdown of peace!

A man came to stop my workers that he also paid for the same plot. The boys too no gree grin grin so a fight ensued. So I intervened to calm down the situation and took the man to the house of the person I leased the land from. I discovered he collected money from the man too for the same plot. After much argument he agreed to give the man another plot or return his money.

I was so disappointed in the man.

hahahaha...
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by god2good: 7:33pm On Apr 20
Please as rain started falling at your location?
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by SEGLIZ: 6:38pm On Apr 21
jospepper:
No 1. needs no clearing

Number 2. has been cleared...

Remaining 3 and 4.
I wanted ask about herders then I saw cattle grazing in one of the pictures. how safe is that area from herders and cattle grazing your farm and crops.
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 6:51pm On Apr 21
SEGLIZ:
I wanted ask about herders then I saw cattle grazing in one of the pictures. how safe is that area from herders and cattle grazing your farm and crops.
Once planting starts, the herders relocate.
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 6:52pm On Apr 21
god2good:
Please as rain started falling at your location?
Yes

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by SEGLIZ: 6:59pm On Apr 21
jospepper:
Once planting starts, the herders relocate.
are you sure of this? cause I learnt those guys are stubborn and ruthless.
Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by jospepper(m): 9:52am On Apr 22
SEGLIZ:
are you sure of this? cause I learnt those guys are stubborn and ruthless.
That's the norm here.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Projects This Year. by SEGLIZ: 11:47am On Apr 22
jospepper:
That's the norm here.
alright then, wishing you success.

(1) (Reply)

I Need An Unused Poultry Farm Within Eti-osa And Epe Urgently / Tomatoes Available In Large Quantities. / 3 Hectares Of Plantain Farm For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.