Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,728 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Probable Rate Of Depreciation On Nigeria Used Cars - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Probable Rate Of Depreciation On Nigeria Used Cars (2523 Views)

Nissan Pathfinder 2001 Nigeria Used @ N500,000 Call 08180276559 / Buying Naija Used Cars...how To Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle!!! / Used Cars Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Probable Rate Of Depreciation On Nigeria Used Cars by fizzybaba(m): 10:31am On Nov 18, 2011
i have been thinking for a while about the annual rate of depreciation chargeable on cars used in Nigeria.

Here is my story,

I tried to sell a 2001 Camry bought last year that clocked a year some weeks back. The price offered by prospective buyers was worrying viz a viz the purchase cost.

1.3M car now being priced for 800k after a year! Eventually sold it for 850k.

Mathematically, that is approx 35% off the purchase cost.

It is noteworthy that there was no damage of any sort apart from the bruises suffered by the bumpers(minor).

In accounting, we charge 25% as yearly depreciation. A new vehicle after four years has just been given birth to i dare say

I understand that as a car grows older, the rate may perhaps increase marginally but 35% is way too high

Buying a car is not an investment at all! Lately, i have been thinking of applying the same strategy in buying a car.

look for my choice car and buy 'a year used' model thereby making the owner suffer for the 35% depreciation rate.

Bright idea?
Re: Probable Rate Of Depreciation On Nigeria Used Cars by Osama10(m): 1:23pm On Nov 18, 2011
fizzybaba:

i have been thinking for a while about the annual rate of depreciation chargeable on cars used in Nigeria.

Here is my story,

I tried to sell a 2001 Camry bought last year that clocked a year some weeks back. The price offered by prospective buyers was worrying viz a viz the purchase cost.

1.3M car now being priced for 800k after a year! Eventually sold it for 850k.

Mathematically, that is approx 35% off the purchase cost.

It is noteworthy that there was no damage of any sort apart from the bruises suffered by the bumpers(minor).

In accounting, we charge 25% as yearly depreciation. A new vehicle after four years has just been given birth to i dare say

I understand that as a car grows older, the rate may perhaps increase marginally but 35% is way too high

Buying a car is not an investment at all! Lately, i have been thinking of applying the same strategy in buying a car.

look for my choice car and buy 'a year used' model thereby making the owner suffer for the 35% depreciation rate.

Bright idea?

Nice thought there.

But I hope you are not thinking of Naija used.
Re: Probable Rate Of Depreciation On Nigeria Used Cars by femmy2010(m): 1:35pm On Nov 18, 2011
@op,
Do you realize that you could still have sold the same 01 Camry for same N850k after you must have used it up to 2 years?
Re: Probable Rate Of Depreciation On Nigeria Used Cars by fizzybaba(m): 1:47pm On Nov 18, 2011
@OSAMA 10

yes, naija used! any prob?

@fhemmy

u got me thinking. I guess the lessons learnt is to excercise great caution in buying a car you wouldnt have to dispose off quickly

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz 300 V Boot / Registered 2008/2009 Hyundai Tucson For Sale: / SOLD! 2008 Honda Accord EX Full Options!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.