Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,654 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs (627 Views)

Naira Hits ₦1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To BDCs / Naira Hits N1,825 To Dollar Despite EFCC Gun Rescue Attempt / Naira Falls To 760/$, Ahead Of Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by Paraman: 6:17pm On Apr 15
Having opened at N1,130 to the dollar on Monday morning, the value of the naira gained strength midday as traders anticipate another round of dollar sales to Bureau de Change (BDC) operators this week.

By noon on Monday, the naira was selling at N1,000 to the dollar at the parallel market. Last week Monday, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had offered $15.88 million to BDC operators at N1,101 to the dollar, pushing up the value of the naira on the streets.

The CBN sells dollars to the BDCs at the lower band of rate quoted on the Nigeria Autonomous Foreign Exchange Market (NAFEM). Last week Friday the value of the naira was between N1,265 and N1,100 to the dollar.

In anticipation of another liquidity push out by the apex bank, the value of the naira which opened trading activities on the parallel market at N1,130 to the dollar had firmed up to N1,000 by midday.

This corroborates with the projection of US Bank Goldman Sachs which at the weekend projected that the naira will be trading at N1,000. Goldman Sachs Group Inc, had projected that the naira will be among the best performing currencies in the world.

Having predicted in February that the naira would strengthen to N1,200 per dollar this year, Goldman economists, say they see it potentially advancing beyond that level after a raft of measures by the central bank.

Those included 600 basis points of cumulative interest-rate increases at policy meetings in February and March, as well as other steps to ease the local scarcity of dollars that fanned volatility and forced companies to the parallel market.

Goldman’s Andrew Matheny told Bloomberg Newswire in an interview that “this probably can run further; we would see an extension of the move to 1,000 and maybe even sub-1,000, six weeks have gone by and they’re continuing to hold the line, so that’s encouraging.”

The group maintains its 12-month forecast for the naira at 1,200 per dollar, owing to uncertainty around the ability of the authorities to maintain the reform tempo, though it now sees risks to that upbeat projection.

https://leadership.ng/just-in-naira-hits-n1000-ahead-of-cbn-sale-to-bdcs/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by AqualinaXYZ: 6:19pm On Apr 15
Breaking news

Inflation under Tinubu hits 65% the worst of all time

Una dey hype naira while inflation and prices of goods are getting higher

4 Likes

Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by Dalohad: 6:21pm On Apr 15
Wake me up when the reserves finish.. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by rantingpigs: 6:22pm On Apr 15
FACTs...

TINUBU is the most useless and worthless President in NIGERIAN HISTORY. cool

AqualinaXYZ:
Breaking news

1 Like

Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by Paraman: 6:22pm On Apr 15
AqualinaXYZ:
Breaking news

Stop breaking rule 8
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by Paraman: 6:24pm On Apr 15
The exchange rate will be 2000/$ in April in the mud.

2 Likes

Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by Paraman: 6:25pm On Apr 15
Dalohad:
When you go com wake up bayi? grin
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by Dalohad: 6:28pm On Apr 15
Paraman:
When you go com wake up bayi? grin

Ol boy, you are not an exporting country. All these gra-gra of using forex reserves to defend a worthless currency won't work in the long term. Na just stop-gap measures, not sustainable in the long run. grin
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by nedu666: 6:30pm On Apr 15
What I don't understand is how bdc survive on 10k dollars a week from cbn . Its not possible unless they are doing something else
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by Paraman: 6:32pm On Apr 15
Dalohad:

Ol boy, you are not an exporting country. All these gra-gra of using forex reserves to defend a worthless currency won't work in the long term. Na just stop-gap measures, not sustainable in the long run. grin
Nigeria exported more than what we imported last year
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by SoNature(m): 6:34pm On Apr 15
Dalohad:

Much of the FX used to sustain this economy is borrowed. The last time was over $3 billion from Afrexim Bank. Thank God for oil and gas. If not, only God knows how we would have survived.
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by Paraman: 6:41pm On Apr 15
SoNature:

Much of the FX used to sustain this economy is borrowed. The last time was over $3 billion from Afrexim Bank. Thank God for oil and gas. If not, only God knows how we would have survived.
The FG has gotten just $2 billion plus from afrexim, the FG will get the rest of the money next month.
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by Olachase(m): 7:34pm On Apr 15
Dalohad:
funniest thing you fit even from there die 😀😀
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by seunowa(f): 7:53pm On Apr 15
Your book of lamentation has been opened grin grin grin grin...
AqualinaXYZ:
Breaking news

Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by LIVINGICONREBOR: 8:01pm On Apr 15
I am tired of all these naira appreciation when it is non-evident in the prices of goods and services.

1 Like

Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by jayce232: 9:53pm On Apr 15
AqualinaXYZ:
I don't understand how people will be shouting dollar fall when prices of goods are above the roof?? Dollar is falling & inflation is on the increase!
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by jayce232: 9:56pm On Apr 15
LIVINGICONREBOR:
I am tired of all these naira appreciation when it is non-evident in the prices of goods and services.
Honestly & it is becoming very frustrating
You need to go to the pharmacy & see how expensive these drugs have become. A drug I bought 8k in march moved to 12k & it is now currently selling at 15k. I come online to see these guys posting dollar fall & i begin to wonder if they are in this country? It's no longer making sense
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by sofeo(m): 11:25pm On Apr 15
It's obvious it's being manipulated.
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by LIVINGICONREBOR: 11:51am On Apr 16
jayce232:

Honestly & it is becoming very frustrating
You need to go to the pharmacy & see how expensive these drugs have become. A drug I bought 8k in march moved to 12k & it is now currently selling at 15k. I come online to see these guys posting dollar fall & i begin to wonder if they are in this country? It's no longer making sense

You can say that again. Nigeria economics never seize to amaze me.
Re: JUST-IN:Naira Hits N1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To Bdcs by shepherd316: 12:43pm On Apr 16
Dollar is falling and the economy keeps nose-diving, where are the economist in the house to educate us, no way on earth you'll defend Tinubu and not look stupid. How come heavy taxing persists despite the dollar fall, and some people will be quick to say stuffs like "greedy traders do this or that".

(1) (Reply)

How Much Do U Buy Pins / 419 Is Pervasive In Nigeria. Be Warned / Does Pay Per Click In Affiliate Marketing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.