Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,267 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve (1058 Views)

Nigeria’s Foreign Reserve Is $3.7 Billion, Not $33.8 Billion - JP Morgan / Central Bank Of Nigeria To Spend $8 Billion Defending The Naira In 2022 / Cabinet Delay May Send Nigeria Back Into Recession – Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Ofunaofu: 5:26pm On Apr 16
Raskimonojendor:

The report says raising concerns. That's not a statement backed up by facts.

What would you say about the convergence of the black market and official rate?

That's inconsequential until the Naira begins to exchange at N216 to a dollar where the APC met it in 2015

Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Raskimonojendor: 5:28pm On Apr 16
Kukutenla:

Freestuff did not get his maths and his dates correct. The depletion us 5.6%. Freestuffs is claiming $7bn backlog. The dates don't tally as well.

That's what the headline implies when it says it coincides with strengthening of the naira
Lagging effect of clearing up the backlog could also be one of the reason for the appreciation. Like I said earlier. It's too simplistic to conclude like the OP because the foreign reserved was depleted by $1.5B.

We can also see that the parrallel market and the official rate are converging, what's your explanation for that?

Ps: It's pointless going back and forth with people that are already sworn to be anti- Nigerian government, anti-good news, and anti-progress all because their candidate lost the election. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by BolaAThubv(m): 5:30pm On Apr 16
Kukutenla:

They float, you defend, they return to subsidizing you still defend.
What exactly are you defending?
The primary responsibility of every defender in any team is to defend. It doesn't matter what tactics the coach is deploying. The job is to defend. Yo Gerrit?
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Melagros(m): 5:30pm On Apr 16
COMRADES grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by tollyboy5(m): 5:32pm On Apr 16
EmeeNaka:
So Tinubu is back to square one. He is currently paying subsidy on petrol which runs in Trillions. He is once again depleting our foreign reserves just to defend Naira after attempting to float it.
How is he paying subsidy for petrol?
Abi you just wan cap?
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Kukutenla: 5:33pm On Apr 16
michlins:
if that's what it will take to reign in speculators and not allow the economy to go to the dogs, Nigeria will do it double.

If you don't like it, migrate to Mozambique. Waiting for the economy to go to tatters so you will rejoice and mock the country.

Before you mention me, I supported and still supporting Obi but I don't have another country. I will rather have a progressive nation than have my candidate win. Tinubu is the president and I will support him. The destinies of millions depends on the success of his administration
Is Bloomberg supporting Obi now?
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Enugurangers: 5:34pm On Apr 16
Kukutenla:

Is Bloomberg supporting Obi now?
Bias could be feeding into the report as it's not definitive as some posters have already mentioned. It's just the writer making a guess. In addition, the report title itself does not match the thread topic.

It was written for Bloomberg Africa by one Anthony Osae Brown and Emele Onu. That sounds like a Nigerian name to me.

At best, it's an opinion article.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Forkthiefnubu: 5:36pm On Apr 16
Raskimonojendor:

He is not even up to one year. He is no magician.
He doesn’t know his left from his right , admit it he is incompetent just like buhari
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Kukutenla: 5:37pm On Apr 16
Raskimonojendor:

Lagging effect of clearing up the backlog could also be one of the reason for the appreciation. Like I said earlier. It's too simplistic to conclude like the OP because the foreign reserved was depleted by $1.5B.

We can also see that the parrallel market and the official rate are converging, what's your explanation for that?

Ps: It's pointless going back and forth with people that are already sworn to be anti- Nigerian government, anti-good news, and anti-progress all because their candidate lost the election. cheesy
1. Can you explain in cogent terms how clearing backlogs will make naira appreciate?

2. Official and parallel converged because CBN is selling directly to BDCs who make up the bulk of activities in parallel markets with strict instructions not to trade beyond 1.5% of CBN price. In other words, they are not at liberty to sell at their preferred price.

3. What is the relationship between economic discussions and election loss. Is naira value APC or PDP?
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Forkthiefnubu: 5:38pm On Apr 16
Enugurangers:

Bias could be feeding into the report as it's not definitive as some posters have already mentioned. It's just the writer making a guess. In addition, the report title itself does not match the thread topic.

It was written for Bloomberg Africa by one Anthony Osae Brown. That sounds like a Nigerian name to me.
Was the economist supporting tinubu and Buhari and horde of you jiahdist when they call GEJ a Buffon ? And who wrote the article , you guys I despise so much
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Enugurangers: 5:40pm On Apr 16
Forkthiefnubu:

Was the economist supporting tinubu and Buhari and horde of you jiahdist when they call GEJ a Buffon ? And who wrote the article , you guys I despise so much
Did you people not label those BBC guys that confirmed that Tinubu graduated from CSU as working for Tunubu. Some Obidient in the UK even protested in front BBC's office.

This article was written by Osae and Emele Onu for Bloomberg Africa. It's fair to also say they are working for the opposition as well -what is good for the goose is good for the gander, and worst still the report is based on something not definitive. Only to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'm your mind now, I support Tinubu LMAO. Continue hating and despising, is there any thing else you Obidients are good at aside hating and being angry.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Enugurangers: 5:50pm On Apr 16
I just did a background check on one of the article writers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by HNICEARTH: 5:50pm On Apr 16
Raskimonojendor:

Even if it turns out to be true since this report is still based on guess work and zero evidence , isn't that what you people want i.e. for naira to return to it's previous rate of exchange? They float you complain, they return to previous government style of subsidizing the dollars, you still complain.

He removed subsidy in an ill mannered way, you defended that. He is back paying subsidy higher than what it use to be, you still defended that.

He incompetently floated the naira, you defended that. He is back again subsidising the naira by depleting the foreign reserve, you still defending him.

He vomits, you defend that. He takes back his vomit, you still defend that! Are you a bot?

For once make use of that nerve cells in your cranium and decipher things for your self. Damn!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Raskimonojendor: 5:51pm On Apr 16
Enugurangers:
I just did a background check on one of the article writers.
Share a twitter link or something and I will help amplify it on my first post on the topic..
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Enugurangers: 5:52pm On Apr 16
Raskimonojendor:

Share a twitter link or something and I will help amplify it on my first post on the topic..
One of the article writers for Bloomberg Africa. He is a Peter Obi supporter.

https://twitter.com/Emeleonu/status/1615797060078342149?t=7FeH2uK6vgb_wiwEPnN8oA&s=19

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Raskimonojendor: 5:55pm On Apr 16
Enugurangers:

One of the article writes. He is a Peter Obi supporter.

https://twitter.com/Emeleonu/status/1615797060078342149?t=7FeH2uK6vgb_wiwEPnN8oA&s=19
Damn!

Cheers grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Kukutenla: 5:56pm On Apr 16
Enugurangers:

It was written for Bloomberg Africa by one Anthony Osae Brown and Emele Onu. That sounds like a Nigerian name to me.

At best, it's an opinion article.
Guess? Definitive? The writer made a statistical fact as the fulcrum of his article and you're still casting long doubts.
You need to rethink man
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Enugurangers: 6:00pm On Apr 16
Kukutenla:

Guess? Definitive? The writer made a statistical fact as the fulcrum of his article and you're still casting long doubts.
You need to rethink man
He made an assumption.
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Kukutenla: 6:00pm On Apr 16
Enugurangers:

He made an assumption.
Such as...
Re: Nigeria Back To Defending The Naira With Foreign Reserve by Kukutenla: 6:02pm On Apr 16
Enugurangers:

One of the article writers for Bloomberg Africa. He is a Peter Obi supporter.

Raskimonojendor:

Damn!

Cheers grin
I'm ashamed at both of you. Your preoccupation is to discredit the article on mundane politics.
If this is how your brains operate I'm afraid you may not be able to think beyond such crude sentiments in life.

There's only one writer credited to the article on bloomberg website. Where did you see Peter whatever?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Hope For The Poor In Nigeria? / Can Someone Help Bush Go Past The 30+% Approval Rating? / Being A Nigerian Among Other African Brothers- What They Think Of Us!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.