Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,800 members, 7,820,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Kwara Govt Donates N10m To Owode Marketers After Inferno - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Kwara Govt Donates N10m To Owode Marketers After Inferno (45 Views)

MOK Foundation Provides Assistance To Owode Market Fire Victims / Edo Govt. Donates Relief Materials To Communities Affected By Windstorm / Bus Inferno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kwara Govt Donates N10m To Owode Marketers After Inferno by Jimsonjaat96(m): 8:57pm On Apr 16
The Mallam Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq-led government of Kwara State, on Tuesday, April 16, donated a sum of N10m to Owode marketers whose shops were engulfed by inferno.

The government, through the Kwara State Emergency Management Agency (KSEMA), made this known during the presentation of a N10m cheque at the palace of the Olofa of Offaland, Oba Mufutau Gbadamosi Okikiola Ajagbungbade I, Esuwoye II.

It would be recalled that earlier this month, the popular market in the ancient town of Offa, Offa Local Government Area of Kwara State, went up in flames, with property estimated at about N360 million destroyed in the inferno.

It was gathered that the fire outbreak, which affected a section of the market, started at about 2:00 am and raged for about five hours before the combined efforts of men from the federal and state fire services could put out the fire. About 50 shops were burnt in the inferno, while the bustling commercial hub, housing 3,820 shops and 1,180 stands, suffered minimal damage. It was also gathered that goods, especially foodstuffs, charcoal, and fairly used clothes, worth millions of naira, were lost to the inferno.

Reacting to the N10m donation, the Olofa of Offa, applauding Governor Abdulrazaq, said, “When I came around the day it happened, I said Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq is a governor for all. He knows everything that’s happening here as if he lives in Offa. He hadn’t spoken to me that day, but I had told people he would do something. Just yesterday, I was informed of this relief fund. He will also rebuild the market.

“Our governor is the governor for all Kwara and Kwarans: not just a section of the state. He responds to us all simultaneously. May God continue to guide him. I named him ‘Soludero’ when he emerged, has he not acted likewise? I named him Soludero of Offa for a cognizance reason.

“He has done it again. He has said Offa is his second home and he’s proving that to us all. He always delivers whenever he promises Offa anything.” The monarch also announced his plans to build another market along Offa-Ikotun road. He thereafter advised the marketers to be wary of possible causes of fire incidents to guard against a recurrence.

“If each of you is given N10m, it won’t be as it would say fire hadn’t engulfed your shops. So, be very careful and look out for possible causes of fire accidents. Pay utmost attention to electricity and charcoal. Let’s strive to avoid a repeat. The Executive Secretary of Kwara State Emergency Management Agency (KSEMA), Mallam Moshood Saadu Mogaji, narrated that the Agency had come to Offa for an on-the-site assessment the day of the incident.

“We came down to conduct an assessment as directed by the governor. We did the needful, and the governor, who loves the people of Offa so much, graciously approved a sum of N10m to the affected traders to bring succor to the affected people.

“Our Permanent Secretary asked us to tell you that he wants the Owode market to become a modern and international market. I myself attended the Federal Polytechnic Offa, and we used to buy commodities in Owode market. We thank you all for the warm reception.”

Also, the Chairman of the All Progressives Congress in Offa, Hon. Alh Nasirdeen Adegboye, fondly known as Kunle Papa, said the state government’s gesture towards the affected traders was not politically motivated.

“Our governor has done well, and our heads swell with pride. We – the Offa APC - therefore thank him through our royal father, the Olofa of Offa.

“This is not a political time, so you can’t say our governor is using this gesture as a basis for a campaign. He is not campaigning."

A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kwara and former Commissioner for Enterprise, Water Resources & Energy, Hon. (Prince) Abdulwahab Femi Agbaje Whyte, applauded the state government for pro-activeness and responsiveness.

“We know our amiable governor, His Excellency Governor Abdulrahman for being responsible, responsive, and proactive. He was in Saudi Arabia when it happened, but we know he is going to come through for our people, and he didn’t disappoint us. I can assure you the governor would have come to Offa had he been in the state then. He was very concerned and was communicating with us. His responsiveness is top-notch.

“He sympathizes with us very well. He considers Offa as his second home, and he has been doing a lot for us. He has not disappointed us since he emerged. We thank him immensely. I must urge the people of Offa community to reciprocate this good gesture. I once again express my sympathy to the Owode marketers. May we not witness a disaster above our lives. Allah says, ‘after hardship comes ease’. “

Ogbeni Seun David Ogunniyi, the Kwara State House of Assembly member representing Ojomu/Balogun Constituency, described the Owode fire incident as an ‘untoward incident’.

“It was not envisaged, but we thank God for how things have turned around now.

“I had been exchanging messages with the governor since that night, and I kept updating him. He promised that he will wipe away the tears of affected people; he has fulfilled that now.

“So, we thank Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq immensely. I know our people know good gestures and they pay good with good. Today’s donation is a sign and wonder and goes a long way to explain how high-placed Offa is in the governor’s mind. He is highly responsive.”

He assured the people the governor will attend to other yearnings of the people on health, road infrastructure, education, and so on.

Honourable Abdulwaheed Gbenga Yusuf JK, the Kwara State House of Assembly member representing Essa/Shawo/Igboidun Constituency at the Kwara State House of Assembly and the Chairman of the House Committee on Works and Transport, applauded the Olofa of Offa and Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq.

“We thank God He gives us a king that loves his people. When the fire incident happened as God willed, our governor was very concerned as he loves Offa so much. Brother Femi (Hon Femi White) can bear witness. How he comes through for us is amazing.

“We also need to appreciate our fire services because what they were saying on social media was different from the realities on that day. They really tried.”

(1) (Reply)

Mutual Consent Divorce In Kolkata / Bayern Munich Vs Arsenal LIVE (2-2 Agg): UCL Quarter Final, Match Stream, Update / How True Is This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.