Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,361 members, 7,815,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports (10264 Views)

FG Orders Issuance Of Single Identification Numbers For Citizens / Why I Stopped Issuance Of Gifts During Ramadan, Xmas – El-rufa’i ( Vanguard) / Jonathan Orders CBN To Stop N5,000 Note Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Reggie2(m): 7:13pm On Nov 19, 2011
it is obvious most of u are speaking out of ignorance. Most developing countries issue visa on arrival to investors and staffs of Multi national companies. e.g staffs of UBA, GLO,SHELL ETC who are not Nigerians get visa on arrival in Accra if they present letters from their company. GEJ is not saying the visa should be given to every Joystick,tom and harry.
[quote][/quote]

People just derive pleasure from undue criticism. Many countries issue visa at the port of entry demanding higher visa fee for that purpose. Anyone without valid papers who decides to embark on a trip would be risking deportation. Government however needs to guard against bribery which is difficult to tackle in Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by obowunmi(m): 7:23pm On Nov 19, 2011
***yawns** not sure what the brohauha is all about when you can bribe your way into getting a Nigerian passport. He's just talking but not many people need visas
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 19, 2011
obowunmi:

***yawns** not sure what the brohauha is all about when you can bribe your way into getting a Nigerian passport. He's just talking but not many people need visas

Give Nigeria some credit, please!
Not many people need visas? You obviously have no appreciation of the amount of business/tourism Nigeria loses every year, as a result of running an antiquated (or, in some cases, tit-for-tat) visa policy.

If you check with a lot of Nigerian Embassies outside Africa, for instance, you would find most still require a letter of invitation to Nigeria even for visits related to tourism.
Faced with the prospect of finding a sponsor who can write this letter, wouldn't you rather head for the Gambia instead?
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Ikwikwikwi(m): 7:44pm On Nov 19, 2011
@ Demdem, it is not alright to address the nations President the way you are going about it. I am sure you respect your father, and your elders, so for what ever reason, it is wrong to call the President of Nigeria the way you are doing. You are not better than him. Please be guided.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by hercules07: 7:52pm On Nov 19, 2011
@theigran

Lie small now, haba, Accra is in Ghana, Ghana is in West Africa, just show up with a Naija passport and you are in.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by sweet9ja: 7:56pm On Nov 19, 2011
Ikwikwikwi:

@ Demdem, it is not alright to address the nations President the way you are going about it. I am sure you respect your father, and your elders, so for what ever reason, it is wrong to call the President of Nigeria the way you are doing. You are not better than him. Please be guided.
Thank you very much, it's about time someone put him in his place.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by hercules07: 7:57pm On Nov 19, 2011
The President must earn his respect, no free pass for anybody.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Arosa(m): 8:33pm On Nov 19, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Presido is right on the money here.

Here is a list of other emerging economies (in Africa) that have the same visa policy in place.

* Burundi (Visa granted upon arrival).
* Comoros (Visa granted upon arrival).
* Djibouti (Visa granted upon arrival for 10 days or 1 month).
* Egypt (Visa granted upon arrival for 14 days for visiting South Sinai resorts only).
* Kenya (Visa granted upon arrival for 3 months).
* Madagascar (Visa granted upon arrival for 90 days).
* Mozambique (Visa granted upon arrival).
* Seychelles Visa free for 30 days
* Togo (Visa granted upon arrival for 7 days).
* Uganda (Visa granted upon arrival).
Thanks for that, some peeps here are mumus and they know themselves. angry
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Kobojunkie: 8:35pm On Nov 19, 2011
I love that list of "DEVELOPING" economies there. . .
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Arosa(m): 8:44pm On Nov 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I love that list of "DEVELOPING" economies there. . .

Kobo, stop laughing, so you think naija economy is better than Kenya or Egypt?
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by TomFord: 9:07pm On Nov 19, 2011
Lemme get this right,he is saying that c.e.o.s of mncs should get visas cos of their investment in the country(10 year max)
what happens when they resign,retire,fired,transferred etc?what becomes of the visa?wll the incoming c.e.o.s also be given 10yr limits with the cycle continuing?
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 11:28pm On Nov 19, 2011
hercules07:

Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Ilekokonit: 3:49am On Nov 20, 2011
I hope Reuben Abati is reading this.

I hope that Nigerians in Diaspora with foreign passports will also benefit from the hasslefree travel into Nigeria.

These Nigerians may have foreign passports coupled with an expired Naija passport or just a foreign passport.

If the "so called expatriates" will now be fast tracked into Nigeria then Nigerians in Diaspora should be the first beneficiaries of the visa rules relaxation or else na double wahala for deady body.

Charity should begin at home.

Nigerians in Diaspora first before any "Shell expatriate"

Oyinbo man can not be treated better than us in their country and then once again be treated better than us at Muritala Mohammed Airport.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Kobojunkie: 3:59am On Nov 20, 2011
Ilekokonit:

I hope Reuben Abati is reading this.

I hope that Nigerians in Diaspora with foreign passports will also benefit from the hasslefree travel into Nigeria.

These Nigerians may have foreign passports coupled with an expired Naija passport or just a foreign passport.

If the "so called expatriates" will now be fast tracked into Nigeria then Nigerians in Diaspora should be the first beneficiaries of the visa rules relaxation or else na double wahala for deady body.

Charity should begin at home.

Nigerians in Diaspora first before any "Shell expatriate"

Oyinbo man can not be treated better than us in their country and then once again be treated better than us at Muritala Mohammed Airport.

That is a very important point there . . . unless this is for the RICH investors . . . . lol
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by runsgirl: 5:03am On Nov 20, 2011
Nigerian's, prepare for more slave labour from Indians and Chinese. Your president has opened the flood gate.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by obowunmi(m): 5:13am On Nov 20, 2011
Jonathan Retardeen
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by werepeLeri: 8:27am On Nov 20, 2011
Maximip:

This guy is one of the world's worst president. so an investor will sit in his office and decide to invest in
a country because they give visa on arrival.

I'm so bleeping pissed.  angry wish I could just give a dirty slap to everyone that voted him.

I can't seem to understand why this guy still has followers

You can never understand because those of us who "follow" him, have better brains, than you who criticize him even when he sneezes.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by nypha: 9:28am On Nov 20, 2011
I am amazed at the president we have and the way/manner at which he makes his internal and immigration policies.

M. Jonathan thinks that policies are not drafted with the right ministers through strategic ways. Does he think that immigration policies should be based on his instinct?

M. President, I suggest you go back to school and learn international strategic management.
First, it was the issue of according 10 years visa, now it's hazel free visa at port of entry; how unthoughtful. Who is your political/legal adviser?

An international class mate of mine here in France once told me that one of her cousin said to her that when she finishes with her masters degree programme, she should come over to Nigeria, that she only needs €3000 to have the Nigerian passport.

M. Jonathan it seems the rate of joblessness in Nigeria doesn't concern you.
France used to give 10 years residency to foreigners who's been residing here for 10 years, but given the rate of chômage, it has been cancelled. Even skilled immigration is being controlled through tight immigration policies.
I am not saying that we should immitate them but, at least M. Jonathan, can't Nigeria reciprocate how visa is accorded to foreigners?

UK citizens (I learnt), now get 10 years visa into Nigeria for investment, only to come in and create colonial/aparthied system in VI/Lekki area where (like I learnt), they segregate areas where Nigerians can come in, and the other part is reserved for them oyinbos. How appalling

Another area of concern regarding this visa upon arrival is that of our custom officers at point of arrival (e.g., airport). This policy will be an avenue for them to enrich their wallets.
Considering how most Nigerians 'adore oyinbo', and shine their white teeth (even when the person in front of them is not even smiling but mocking them), they will not scrutinize or question these visitors prospective for immigration into Nigeria (how long they intend to stay, what they will be doing, there means of existence in the country, how they intend to support their investment financially (here I am talking of CAPITAL), if they'll use local labour or bring in labour from their respective countries (like the Chinese who even come with their own drivers/chefs), etc). This area of immigration is best left to the experts (embassies).

Foreigners come to our country and are given permanent residents/Nigerian passport without proving their interest to share in our cultures and common values. They live in communities, criticize everything Nigerian, get favoured and treated like demi-gods. How will they value the original people of the country, let alone their cultures and values?

GEJ, if you want investors to come flocking at the gates of Nigeria, concern yourself with economic development issues first, control internal immigration, and other pressing issues, manage wisely the country for which electors voted, and allow the ministers nominated/voted to do their job.

@ the person who listed countries that practice visa at port of entries. These types of visa are mainly for tourism. Nigeria is not a tourist destination; we should concentrate on what we are specialized in, which is business.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by gabbytabby: 12:13pm On Nov 20, 2011
^^^^^^

The fact that Nigeria is not currently a tourist venue does not mean we should not be forward thinking enough to lift some of the obstacles to these becoming a possibility in the future.

People complain about there not being jobs available and the lazy ones complain about people coming in to provide job opportunities (as they wont have a reason to go stealing, begging, bullying for money) whether they be Indians or Chinese. Quite a number are just lazy sods with no work etiques and ha!!!!! i forgot there will be less opportunity for thieving in the work place damn!.

Quite a lot of Nigerians are quick to put down anyone and anything said by their neighbour even when they have nothing to show for how far their intelligence has taken them in their life. I lot of mumu they talk.

If you have been to the embassies you will realise how much a rude, unreasonable dictator a lot of the staff are. Not to say they wont meet the same attitude at the airports.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by ikeyman00(m): 12:16pm On Nov 20, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

not sure if this is a good idea ooo!!

this una uncle joe hmm
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by obowunmi(m): 1:00pm On Nov 20, 2011
Well said nypha, well thought out and written response. These oyinbo come in, rape Nigerians girls, rape the young boys, claim their investing and lave all sorts of stds on the youths, There are even a few of white, indian, and chinese only lounges in VI, All is well with Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by dustydee: 2:17pm On Nov 20, 2011
I hope the wrong sets of people don't take advantage of this.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by olajide8(m): 3:25pm On Nov 20, 2011
This is a very funny policy because what are the restrictions on these point of entry visa policy in dubai its visa free but only to dubai their free trade zone if you are going to abudabi you have to apply for a visa it so applys to all countries but the president of nigeria says its visa free to all pats of nigeria and most of these countries that run these policies do not have consular offices outside their countries because of the cost of sustaining and maintaining these offices the only reason why the president wants a point of entry policy is because of direct foreign investment whereas I believe he should have targeted the removal of all the bureaucratic nonsense that have been extended to all facets of the existence of the nigerian state rubbisssh as usual
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Demdem(m): 10:02pm On Nov 20, 2011
Ikwikwikwi:

sweet9ja:

sweet9ja:

If the retardeen is u guys father, kindly confirm. If not, I will advise u to STFU, make ur comments and get lost. Not in for ur idiotic morals.
hercules07:

U have earned my respect.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 20, 2011
gabbytabby:

^^^^^^

The fact that Nigeria is not currently a tourist venue does not mean we should not be forward thinking enough to lift some of the obstacles to these becoming a possibility in the future.

People complain about there not being jobs available and the lazy ones complain about people coming in to provide job opportunities (as they wont have a reason to go stealing, begging, bullying for money) whether they be Indians or Chinese. Quite a number are just lazy sods with no work etiques and ha!!!!! i forgot there will be less opportunity for thieving in the work place damn!.

Quite a lot of Nigerians are quick to put down anyone and anything said by their neighbour even when they have nothing to show for how far their intelligence has taken them in their life. I lot of mumu they talk.

If you have been to the embassies you will realise how much a rude, unreasonable dictator a lot of the staff are. Not to say they wont meet the same attitude at the airports.

Thanks for this well thought out response.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by since1914(m): 8:00am On Nov 21, 2011
I Don't understand what you mean by Nigerians in Diaspora with Foreign Passport. Because I simply cannot understand why a Nigerian will not make the necessary sacrifices to acquire a Nigerian passport, which by all means is his legitimate entitlement. Of course, am aware of the inconveniences involved but isn`t that child's play compared to the hassles of applying for a Nigerian visa?

Sometimes I just have a weird feeling that those of us living abroad are always in an unwarranted haste to differentiate ourselves from those living in Nigeria, whatever it takes, including boasting about getting a Nigerian visa to visit Nigeria. Besides, without a Passport, how do we know who is a Nigerian and who isn't? It is unfortunate that we do not have an elaborate social security scheme like other developed country, hence we must learn to do things within our means.

As for the 10 years Visa, I don't want to believe that the Government will start implementing it right away. I still think the Nigerian Government needs to put together a proper framework before implementing the policy. We have a very ineffective immigration service hence, it will be difficult to even know when the scheme is being abused. It is a good policy but I think the President is jumping the gun. HE must ensure that all the necessary loopholes are plugged before going ahead with these policy.
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by kl2020: 6:11pm On Nov 21, 2011
HE must ensure that all the necessary loopholes are plugged before going ahead with these policy.

jona himself is loopholes lipsrsealed
Re: Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports by alex406(m): 10:29am On Nov 22, 2011
thelgran:

it is obvious most of u are speaking out of ignorance. Most developing countries issue visa on arrival to investors and staffs of Multi national companies. e.g staffs of UBA, GLO,SHELL ETC who are not Nigerians get visa on arrival in Accra if they present letters from their company. GEJ is not saying the visa should be given to every Joystick,tom and harry.

Pls tell them,all they do is criticism that cannot take them anywhere. I dont know why we cannot for once appreciate our president and give him the support he needs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari's Presidential Posters Flood Abuja / Ebonyi Government Says The Activities Of IPOB Won’t Be Tolerated / Yinka Odumakin For Burial On April 24

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.