Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. (26406 Views)

Obasanjo: Boko Haram Crisis Could Last 15 More Years / Nigeria Beats South Africa, Others As 2018 Best Economy In Africa / Nigeria Economy Rated Best In Africa By Forbes-see Link (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by HugoBoss10(m): 10:12am On Apr 22
Paraman:
It's expected to fall after we devalued our currency twice.

I will love to see the GDP in naira for the last 15 years.

Egypt was ahead of south Africa before, but after devaluing their currency, the SA took over the Egyptian position

The exchange rate during Jonathan tenure is not up to 300/$

Under Buhari it was not up to 500/$

But now, it's about 1100/$

If the naira can get to the level it was under Jonathan, we will overtake Algeria, Egypt and South Africa.

What you are saying is totally different though cool
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Paraman: 10:14am On Apr 22
HugoBoss10:

What you are saying is totally different though cool
Explain how it's different
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Anonimoux: 10:16am On Apr 22
United States of America

Population

GDP
$29,000,000,000,000

Per Capita Income
$80,000

Nigeria

Population

Labour Force

GDP
$500,000,000,000

Per Capita Income
$2,500

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Chiefpriestt: 10:16am On Apr 22
Paraman:

Egypt was ahead of south Africa before, but after devaluing their currency, the SA took over the Egyptian position

If the naira can get to the level it was under Jonathan, we will overtake Algeria, Egypt and South Africa.
Shut up already and quit making stupid excuses. A failure is failure. Tinubu has nothing to offer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Justiceleague1: 10:18am On Apr 22
tommy589:

All SW states, except Osun voted Jonathan in 2011. His number 1 supporter was Obasanjo,why don't you question what made him and SW withdrew their support? I am not a politician and stopped a long time ago bothering about who leads Nigeria. My thoughts on this generation of politicians and the model of democracy we practice is not to expect any dividends
Oga you have no excuse. You guys brought this country to where she is today. Imagine all the protests against Jonathan and after everything,you brought Buhari,of all people,to power!

Buhari did far to worse than Jonathan for a while 8 years but not a single word or protest from you hypocrites.

And if we make ask,why did you withdraw support for him for a northerner?

Note: OBJ never withdrew support,he only saw the writing on the wall and chose to be wise.....he is not stupid to pick buhari to become president.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by babamoha(m): 10:20am On Apr 22
If the administrations after obj followed obj's plan Nigeria would have been better than this but instead of expanding the economy they are busy looting and neglecting to build infrastructure.
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Justiceleague1: 10:20am On Apr 22
APC is just a curse to Nigeria, simple.

From 2015, everything went south.....such an evil party
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by fx45(m): 10:24am On Apr 22
KEVIND:
This is Reno Omokri nairaland account & profile:
@Mushmush & @Anonpoet
He has another account - TheBillyonaire
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by OfoIgbo: 10:24am On Apr 22
Racoon:
This should clear the doubts of all especially the mummified zombies hailing a government that have destroyed every progress that this nation has ever made including the economy.

From this diagram, the steepest growth was recorded when GEJ was in power and his economy was hugely managed by Igbos which included people like Peter Obi, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Arunma Oteh, Emefiele, Chike Obi e.t.c

The second steepest growth was during OBJ's tenure, when Ngozi Okonjo Iweala made her debut.

This is a wonderful graph. It allows people to visually see the contributions of both the Fulanis and Yorubas to the economic decline of Nigeria. Propaganda doesn't cut it anymore.
Yorubas labelled GEJ the Ineffectual buffoon, but from this graph it is clear that Tinubu and Buhari were the complete ineffectual buffoons.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Offpoint1: 10:25am On Apr 22
Racoon:
This should clear the doubts of all especially the mummified zombies hailing a government that have destroyed every progress that this nation has ever made including the economy.
Nigeria Economy starts nosediving since 2015 after Jonathan Handover power to APC
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Styluss: 10:27am On Apr 22
what a senseless comment!!!!

I mean, very insensible comment! You should pray for your kids not to emulate this imbecility imbibed in your gene. because what the Fccck is this?

Paraman:

Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by AngelicBeing: 10:28am On Apr 22
KEVIND:
This is Reno Omokri nairaland account & profile:
@Mushmush & @Anonpoet
Hmmmmm shocked
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Donsheddy: 10:28am On Apr 22
Moniya4Real:
It’s funny how people believed out economy was worth over $500b when it was claimed to be rebased during GEJ administration and our standard of living was still worse then.

Standard of living worst under Jonathan...
My brother no talk this thing again...
I don't comment on political talks here but no talk that thing again....

People can barely eat good food now....

Under Jonathan's food wasn't a problem.....
Electricity wasn't at all time high...
But people could run there Generator from morning till the next morning because fuel was cheappp...

Transport was cheap infact life was better...
Alot of Nigerians could afford there basic needs with ease.....

Minimum wage will stuck your house with a bag of rice, bag of beans, three basins of garri and you will still change....

What are you even saying....

Phones cars etc was easy to get...

No talk this thing again

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Paraman: 10:30am On Apr 22
Styluss:
what a senseless comment!!!!

I mean, very insensible comment! You should pray for your kids not to emulate this imbecility imbibed in your gene. because what the Fccck is this?

Dam! The way a lot of you reason is disappointing. Just because you hate the president and Nigeria does not mean you should stop using your common sense

In 2022 our GDP was N202.4 trillion

In 2023 it was N234.4 trillion

It's projected to hit N296.4 trillion this year.

The only reason we fell to the 4th position is because the naira was devalued twice.
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by tctrills: 10:31am On Apr 22
Hezmatosky:
GEJ was lucky to meet a booming economy, he flopped. PMB, worked first tenure and flopped second tenure. Hmmmmm abeg make I stop here first angry
Mention just one achievement of Buhari's first tenure. It's people like you that led us to this mess
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by johnog4sure: 10:32am On Apr 22
Racoon:

TheCableIndex
They will use propaganda to cover it, they will tell you that you buying fuel at 517 when nobody buys less than 690
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by OfoIgbo: 10:33am On Apr 22
KEVIND:
Buhari borrowed away the present & future generations of Nigerians.
Tinubu is really trying to navigate & steady the ship Buhari wrecked.
Buhari totally destroyed Nigeria with senseless borrowing, looting & massive embezzlement of the country

Tinubu worked hard to remove GEJ and install Buhari as the president.
Tinubu also supported Buhari's 2019 reelection campaign, so Tinubu is part and parcel of the Buhari failure.

Tinubu also promised that he will maintain the Buhari principles of leadership once he rigs the election, and he seems to be fulfilling his promise. The economy has taken a more massive downturn since Tinubu took over.
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Beverlyjean(f): 10:35am On Apr 22
tommy589:

All SW states, except Osun voted Jonathan in 2011. His number 1 supporter was Obasanjo,why don't you question what made him and SW withdrew their support? I am not a politician and stopped a long time ago bothering about who leads Nigeria. My thoughts on this generation of politicians and the model of democracy we practice is not to expect any dividends

Jonathan was gradually locking loopholes that corrupt politicians were using to accumulate dangerous wealth.... it was under Jonathan that for the first time subsidy thieves were being investigated and arrested ... the corrupt political class came together to knock him out so that they can continue their evil ways ... Jonathan was the first to declare the end of subsidy payment in 2012 and proposed that fuel will be sold at 148 naira per litre.... the same politicians ( Tinubu , Buhari and the rest ) all fought against it , they used the media , grounded the economy.... Tinubu used his hold on lagos to ground the economy and there was a nationwide strike and that crippling the economy...the man had to reverse his decision due to pressure .... b4 APC ,u hardly heard of fraud running into billions... infact, Dasuki that was arrested and thrown in jail for years , was because of 2biliion naira ... now seems like every fraud case by politicians in the country runs in billions
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by melodyogonna(m): 10:36am On Apr 22
Racoon:
The APC gate crashing into our national life is the most unfortunate thing that ever happened to this nation.
Well, I beg to disagree, seeing as most Nigerians keep voting them in.
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by OfoIgbo: 10:36am On Apr 22
OriOko88:
undecided
Jonathan was a puppet. He didn't do anything special. He met a very robust Obj era economy. I don't rate him atal. He shud have tried all possible best to ensure pdp remained in power. An hausa or Yoruba president at that time will never relinquish power in such way. This is Africa!! Maximum respect to Obj.

APC saw Jona to be a weak vessel and used propaganda to destroy him. Nonsense.

GEJ did better than OBJ. The graph shows the steepest economic growth when GEJ was in power, followed by OBJ's first term era.
By OBJ's second term, economic growth had already slowed down drastically. GEJ gave our economy the needed boost, and it was because of GEJ that Nigeria became the largest economy in Africa, thanks to the Igbo economic managers that GEJ engaged.

Statistics don't lie
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by OfoIgbo: 10:38am On Apr 22
tefishy:
The year 2023 was shared by both Tinubu and Buhari

Year 2024 is still counting, so let's wait and see what Baba emilokan can offer. But like this, e red seriously

Buhari only had only 5 months of 2023,while Tinubu had 7 months of the same year.
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by OfoIgbo: 10:41am On Apr 22
Hezmatosky:
GEJ was lucky to meet a booming economy, he flopped. PMB, worked first tenure and flopped second tenure. Hmmmmm abeg make I stop here first angry

According to the graph, GEJ did not meet a booming economy. In fact Nigeria's economy registered the steepest growth during GEJ's administration.

Statistics don't lie
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by OfoIgbo: 10:45am On Apr 22
Procashtips:
Let's not whitewash Jonathan here.

His govt was cooking beans for us if you understand what that means in Finance. We also earned the highest under him when it comes to crude oil.

We were also not under any world pandemic or anything of such.

Tinubu is surely going to be worst.

But GEJ was paying fuel subsidy and electricity subsidy, amounting to huge amounts of money every month.

Also the graph will show that Nigeria's economy was already nosediving before the pandemic in 2020, so no excuse for both Buhari and Tinubu.
Since 1999, GEJ is the best president on the Nigerian economy scales. The graph proves it.

Statistics don't lie
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Godfather898989: 10:45am On Apr 22
Racoon:
when you clear the backlog payment forex of all these incompetent leaders your foreign reserve will temporarily decline... Is just a matter of time the economy is on a more solid ground now.
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Lithiumite: 10:46am On Apr 22
Racoon:
Is the nation's economic bench mark in naira or dollar? Always rationalising cluelessness, ineptitude and Incompetency. Guess the naira has gained, so why is every economic indices not speaking well for the nation? Simple reason is the lack of economic intelligence of those managing the economy

You wey get economic intelligence go and do it....the answer to your rant is simply that the figures from GEJ as against now is because the naira has been devalued twice......why are you not pointing out the increase if you used naira to value our GDP.

You people need to stop being clever by half.....the govt has told you they aim to grow the economy to $1 trillion over time and have made strategic policies in achieving this and not just making empty plans.

-Raising the capital base of banks
-Removing subsidy on PMS, power etc
-Strengthening the naira
-Fighting inflation head on- this hasn't happened in happened in a long while
-Investing in Agriculture and insfratructure to drive the growth required.
-Effecttive and efficient monetary and fiscal policies.....we are seeing a direct relationship between the 2 as against the past where they both were pulling in opposite directions.

These and many more the govt is doing but you choose to be blind to all this because your man lost the election,but you people have not been able to come up with better arguments to counter this policies
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by tommy589(m): 10:47am On Apr 22
Justiceleague1:

Oga you have no excuse. You guys brought this country to where she is today. Imagine all the protests against Jonathan and after everything,you brought Buhari,of all people,to power!

Buhari did far to worse than Jonathan for a while 8 years but not a single word or protest from you hypocrites.

And if we make ask,why did you withdraw support for him for a northerner?

Note: OBJ never withdrew support,he only saw the writing on the wall and chose to be wise.....he is not stupid to pick buhari to become president.

Do I need any excuse after telling you I don't care who becomes president. This has been my stance before the military left. I have focused on striving to get my little daily bread knowing the country's leadership is not presiding for ordinary Nigerian like me. I did not support Jonathan and those before and after him. When I see democracy I know it
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Kingzmate(m): 10:49am On Apr 22
BROTHER JONA NO BE THEIR MATE kiss
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Moniya4Real(m): 10:52am On Apr 22
Of cy, life was better i agree but not good as well compared to his predecessors’s .

Donsheddy:

Standard of living worst under Jonathan...
My brother no talk this thing again...
I don't comment on political talks here but no talk that thing again....

People can barely eat good food now....

Under Jonathan's food wasn't a problem.....
Electricity wasn't at all time high...
But people could run there Generator from morning till the next morning because fuel was cheappp...

Transport was cheap infact life was better...
Alot of Nigerians could afford there basic needs with ease.....

Minimum wage will stuck your house with a bag of rice, bag of beans, three basins of garri and you will still change....

What are you even saying....

Phones cars etc was easy to get...

No talk this thing again
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Truths9ja: 10:52am On Apr 22
APC government destroyed Nigeria economy no be small
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Procashtips(m): 10:55am On Apr 22
OfoIgbo:

But GEJ was paying fuel subsidy and electricity subsidy, amounting to huge amounts of money every month.

Also the graph will show that Nigeria's economy was already nosediving before the pandemic in 2020, so no excuse for both Buhari and Tinubu.
Since 1999, GEJ is the best president on the Nigerian economy scales. The graph proves it.

Statistics don't lie

Towards the end of Jonathan's tenure, Okonjo came to tell the world that Jonathan govt was borrowing to pay salaries. (Verify this online)
This is a govt that enjoyed a doubled crude oil prices for years.

Other abnormalities happened under him, they're all documented.

Don't forget that Buhari also paid subsidy on fuel and electricity even though he didnt earn up to 1/3 of what Jonathan earned crude oil wise.

Abnormalities happened under Buhari too but It's this Tinubu thats the worst so far.

Everything happening to Nigeria now was caused by his utterances and policies. Nothing else.
Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by Svoboda(m): 10:56am On Apr 22
phemray:

2024 @ 1st quarter or the whole year? What was other government economy at each quarter?

Dont mind the op. As at 2014, virtually 2/3rds of state govs were owing salary arreas, the fg under GEJ was borrowing to pay public sector salaries, fg contractors
were being owed, until PMB came and gave hefty bailouts to govs and settled some of the contractors. If the economy was heavenly under GEJ, why were there noticeable shortfalls in govt spendings.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Economy In The Last 15 Years. by OfoIgbo: 10:57am On Apr 22

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 10 'dodgy' Contracts Awarded Under Brf In Lagos State / ALERT: Osun State Will NOT Pay March Salaries - Thecable. / My Candid Letter To Saraki By Dele Momodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.