Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada (40374 Views)

‘I Rely On Sex Work To Survive,’ - Policewoman / 5 Lucrative Careers You Can Excel In That Do Not Require A Degree / Top 5 High Paying Side Hustles For Working Class People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by IbeOkehie: 8:31pm On Apr 22
SisterAnn:
Food delivery for obodo oyibo.

God Abeg o grin

Many people do it in the USA. I know at least one family that has that as their major income. They cook and deliver the food. They cater to Nigerian parties and events. Also in African food stores now you can buy snack food like chin-chin, plantain chips, and akara made right here in the USA. In fact my kids are addicted to akara and also fish with red stew...or "red sauce" and many times we buy it already cooked.

Not everyone has the chance or ability to be doctors or software engineers. I'm trying to understand what's wrong with food delivery.

Am I missing something?

Good Luck to Nigerians

12 Likes

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by PARADIZEPRIEST: 8:34pm On Apr 22
When you finish japa you ja pada angry
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by GenFunction: 8:42pm On Apr 22
Yampotatocarrot:

As you no drop location,check Nasarawa Toto local government in Nasarawa state
Tor,If at all....lol
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by Ade2024: 8:43pm On Apr 22
Zeebuy:
I built a software in 2020 while in the US and we currently have more than 4000 subscribed users. People tend to overlook this section too
nice one

1 Like

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by IbeOkehie: 8:47pm On Apr 22
Same in the USA, I've written long comments on this.

https://www.nairaland.com/7426508/why-there-no-point-going/3#118318757

Good thing too Nigerians going to the West now are learning to do manual work like landscaping, computer wiring/network setups, auto mechanics and mobile car wash, cooking food and selling from their homes, sewing clothes & shoe repair, so having papers is not even as much a problem as before. Honestly I wish I had such skills when I arrived here, life would have been a lot easier. There's a woman who sells Nigerian food that we patronize often, we buy like one week worth of food at a time. When you go to pick up at her home you can see they're VERY BUSY. There's one or two more people that have opened walk up - carry out restaurants. They cater parties too. A Nigerian mobile car washer cleaned my car last week, he came to the office and did it. Who needs Green Card to do that?

Good Luck to Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by cococandy(f): 8:51pm On Apr 22
Literally.

And nannies easily charge $20/hr.

People just like to overlook things they feel are low jobs. But they’re not .
armyofone:
Hair dressing / braid

Just to do kinky twist or Senegalese twist

180 - 350

Million braids - 400 +

Toh!

1 Like

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by VeeInsider: 8:57pm On Apr 22
Hello. Will it be possible to share how you went about this?

Monaboo:
Why can't Nigerians just apply for M.Sc in UK from Nigeria and do the whole course in Nigeria.

Who is going as an International student again to be paying between £15,000 - £21,000 to UK Government?

Something even UK home students can not even pay.

When I tried applying from Nigeria to UK, I was given £1,900 for a course of about £15,000.

That means I'm paying just £1,900.

That's is a very huge discount.

It is available for every course even B.Sc.

And I'm doing the course in Nigeria.

I don't need to travel.

I would advise everybody to do same.

Once I finish the UK M.Sc, I will quickly use my UK M.Sc and apply for Fully Funded P.hD program in USA.

We all know USA gives out Fully Funded Ph.D scholarship like water. Some even come with Stipend sef.

And boom...I'm in USA.

With ease and I won't spend much atall.

That is smart thinking.

Or I use my UK M.Sc to apply for Visa Sponsorship jobs in UK or Middle East Countries (Dubai, UAE, Quatar, Saudi Arabia). Even USA too.

Western countries love UK Degrees.

No go apply for job in Western Countries with with your Nigerian degree o.

Ya eye go tear.

And before u know it, I have Japad easily.

That is smart thinking.

I feel for those that are struggling to Japa or have Japad and are paying close to £19,000 as school fees to UK Government

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by RickyJesus: 8:58pm On Apr 22
ignis:
When you japa, you will realize that sabificate puts food on the table and not certificate.
That's won't be a problem, but you know that there wasn't much opportunity available to convert the certificate to sabificate when we know there are lot of people with poor skills and they have jobs compare to those who can do the job perfectly then you would realise how deep the rabbit hole goes.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by yad2eidi: 9:00pm On Apr 22
olosho.
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by dalass(f): 9:02pm On Apr 22
Akwamkpuruamu:
Nice update.

But Agbadorians will say you are unpatriotic for japaing. While they send their kids abroad

You dey use Panadol for another man's headache ....

Agbadorians have been traveling outside the country for centuries, being 1st to graduate in professions, their first class kings have been traveling out to Europe and received as real Royalty for ages.

The first Nigerian to be knighted was an agbadorian, doctor, lawyers, big time entrepreneurs.... Whether Nigeria dey fine or yes, agbadorians will travel, their japa no be suffering induced like others grin

So calm down grin

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by Angelfrost(m): 9:03pm On Apr 22
IbeOkehie:

Thanks. Good comment 👍🏾

The problem in Nigeria is the economy at large. Take an auto mechanic. I was touting that to a young Nigerian whereupon an older person interjected that many middle class Nigerians have abandoned their cars. The market is shrinking. But I'm sure there's other less known but profitable skill sets.

Current data for the past few years in the USA is that earnings for semi skilled or skilled trades are growing faster than earnings for university graduates.

Basically the ROI for university education is going down. Basic principle of economics...law of diminishing returns.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

Brilliantly said... I couldn't agree more.

The thing is... Any smart young man or woman should know what works, and tailor his or her skills to thrive in any profitable industry.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by Babysho(m): 9:03pm On Apr 22
The best part about working anywhere that’s not Africa is how conducive the working/living situation is and that significantly improves the quality of life. Stress is very minimal.

Whether you are food delivery, you take your bike without fear of insane drivers OR you into childcare, you do your job and go back home with 100% guarantee of zero traffic, good water and stable electricity.

Even though it is a rat race type of thing, at least it has structure unlike Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by Sluacoast(m): 9:21pm On Apr 22
Akwamkpuruamu:
Nice update.

But Agbadorians will say you are unpatriotic for japaing. While they send their kids abroad

All my neighbors kids are in the UK. Except the first child (male) who's handling the father's business. They own a big hospital where I lived.
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by olawonder(m): 9:27pm On Apr 22
The OP used Naija mentality to make these suggestions! All these are not lucra-nothing in the UK, you can get jobs doing any of these once in a while, not enough to fill in the gaps or top up one’s earnings!
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by ogbonti: 9:33pm On Apr 22
Sirchiboy:
Can 2m take me to Canada

will N2m take you to Libya? na people like you dem dey dupe

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by Rebuker(m): 9:39pm On Apr 22
Check this out and thank me later: helpful update for those who really want to japa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEzEvf_95Q

1 Like

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by Edusouls(m): 9:42pm On Apr 22
axglide:
Reformed Slavery
my brothaaaaaa u don’t talk am finish blacks no get feature I swear, they have gone back to reformed slavery
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by Edusouls(m): 9:45pm On Apr 22
Blacks are a completely failed race of humans they have no future for themselves and kids so after 400 years of slavery they now went back to serving their masters in modern and packaged slavery

1 Like

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by IbeOkehie: 9:52pm On Apr 22
olawonder:
The OP used Naija mentality to make these suggestions! All these are not lucra-nothing in the UK, you can get jobs doing any of these once in a while, not enough to fill in the gaps or top up one’s earnings!

Actually these jobs can be done FULL TIME and earn a good living for anyone.

Good Luck to Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by Sultty(m): 9:56pm On Apr 22
Timayasabimusik:
Please I'm sorry if this is a wrong place to write this.
I'm looking for apartment of #100,000.

A place that I could see steady electricity,

Mod don't ban Me. Forgive Me if This is wrong place to post this. Self con or anything, I just need a place that I could see steady electricity
can u live in Ogun state? abeokuta in particular. 25 hours light, water dey
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by SisterAnn(f): 9:58pm On Apr 22
IbeOkehie:

Many people do it in the USA. I know at least one family that has that their major income. They cook and deliver the food. They cater to Nigerian parties and events. Also in African food stores now you can buy snack food like chin-chin, plantain chips, and akara made right here in the USA. In fact my kids are addicted to akara and also fish with red stew...or "red sauce" and many times we buy it already cooked.

Not everyone has the chance or ability to be doctors or software engineers. I'm trying to understand what's wrong with food delivery.

Am I missing something?

Good Luck to Nigerians
Hahaha 😃

I was thinking along the line of the okada food deliveries we use here LoL 😅
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by 7arrows: 10:23pm On Apr 22
orikoku:
What about we that don't have Japa money. What can we be doing that will fetch us money big time?

Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail.
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by neutralmind: 10:28pm On Apr 22
Okay
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by TheGift: 10:31pm On Apr 22
Japa from Nigeria, only to go and be hustling in a strange land, just to “survive”?
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by Timayasabimusik: 10:44pm On Apr 22
Sultty:
can u live in Ogun state? abeokuta in particular. 25 hours light, water dey

How do we get started bro
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by IbeOkehie: 11:34pm On Apr 22
cococandy:
Literally.

And nannies easily charge $20/hr.

People just like to overlook things they feel are low jobs. But they’re not .

Those prices are accurate. Ask me if they pay taxes on those cash payments. Especially those operating from home.

It's not only Africans though. There's a White lady that I know who operates a hair salon from her home. No secret, her sign is in front, she made an asphalt parking lot too.

Anyway to each their own.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by cococandy(f): 11:36pm On Apr 22
Oh I’m sure they don’t pay taxes.

IbeOkehie:

Those prices are accurate. Ask me if they pay taxes on those cash payments. Especially those operating from home.

It's not only Africans though. There's a White lady that I know who operates a hair salon from her home. No secret, her sign is in front, she made an asphalt parking lot too.

Anyway to each their own.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by tweakstar: 11:57pm On Apr 22
ignis:
When you japa, you will realize that sabificate puts food on the table and not certificate.

Very funny but true
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by YoshihideSuga: 12:30am On Apr 23
SisterAnn:
Food delivery for obodo oyibo.

God Abeg o grin

UberEats and JustEats. No be wetin dem dey call Deliveroo?
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by armyofone(m): 1:03am On Apr 23
cococandy:
Oh I’m sure they don’t pay taxes.

Also, depending on where you live some HOA don't allow using your residence for braiding. I once had a lady introduced me to a person who did her hair. The braider braids from her house. The following year she sent info of her new store due to HOA complaints.

Oyinbo done report grin
Re: Japa: Top 5 Lucrative Side Hustles For Nigerians To Survive In UK, Canada by cococandy(f): 1:04am On Apr 23
armyofone:

Also, depending on where you live some HOA don't allow using your residence for braiding. I once had a lady introduced me to a person who did her hair. She braids from her house. The following year she sent info of her new store due to HOA complaints.

Those damned HOA people. Busy Body Karens

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Benue, Kogi, Plateau Pay Civil Servants High Despite Poor Revenue / Seven TOP Lying Professions. / Radiography Vs Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.