Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

When Jokes Become Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Jokes Become Sin? (64 Views)

Skit Makers Now Use The Name Of Jesus For Jokes, CAN Should Act Immediately!! / Pastor Sarah Omakwu Warns Comedians Against Using Christianity For Jokes / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When Jokes Become Sin? by topshore(f): 9:59am On Apr 23
Scripture Text: Ephesians 5: 4

The book of Proverbs and the epistle of James have much to say about the use of the tongue. James 3:10–11 says: “From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water?” Paul speaks in a similar vein: “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths” and “Let there be no . . . foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place” (Eph. 4:29; 5:4).

But the way people talk to each other in public is getting rougher every day. People in public often say things that people would not say in polite company a generation ago. Even worse, some people who say they are preachers of the gospel use bad jokes and bad language in their lectures, saying they are just being real. These actions only lower the users' status and make other people more likely to use corruptible words.

Paul and James both felt the need to speak out strongly about the issue, which shows that it's not just a problem today. It was so common in the first century that new Christians needed to be told how to talk about it. The bad language of the streets is easy for us to use because we don't pay attention when we talk. As Christians, we should not speak without thinking, but with thought.
For the same reason Paul talks about speech above, we should only say "what is good for building up, as fits the occasion, so that it may give grace to those who hear." "Let there be thanksgiving in your words" is another thing he says (Eph. 4:29; 5:4).

We downplay how bad it is to use rude and offensive words. We say that we're just being honest or that it doesn't mean anything to us. Christ, however, tells us that we will be responsible for every careless word we say (Matthew 12:36). We should be more careful about what we say after hearing something like this from our Saviour. We should think about what we're going to say before we speak.

Also, we don't think about how our words affect other people. Bad jokes hurts, insults, and degrades other people. As Christians, Paul tells us to use language that builds up, not language that tears down. Language should be used to teach, scold, correct, and train people in right behavior. You should use it to bless people, not curse them. We should use it to thank and praise the God who saved us. But when the skin is strong, the tongue can't be held back in this way.

We can only manage our tongues with the help of the Holy Spirit. That same Spirit also helps us use our speech for the glory of God and the health of the church. We should think about how our jokes might hurt the people who are listening. For example: I think it would be "inappropriate" to laugh about drunk driving around someone who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver. Even if the humor is funny in theory, telling a joke or making someone laugh when they're not ready for it can hurt them personally. Don't tell anyone jokes if you're not sure if it's okay.

Last but not least, the only hard and fast rule about our freedom to joke around in Christ is this: if you're not sure that what you want to joke about is okay, then it is wrong to joke about it (Romans 14:23). If you think something is funny and you're sure it's not about something bad, and you're sure no one is getting upset, insulted, or tempted by your humor, then let it go.

However, if you have ANY DOUBT about any of that, it would be wrong to break your conscience, so please keep the joke to yourself. Of course, you can't just "decide" not to find something funny, just like you can't "choose" not to find someone sexually beautiful or "decide" to stay calm when they insult or abuse you. What you CAN control is whether you hold back or give in, stay away from those situations or look for them, or do something else to keep the urge to use inappropriate humour from turning into sin (1 Corinthians 10:13).

God bless you in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ, amen.

If you would like to give your life to Christ, just say this short prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You now, come into my life, take control of my life and change my world. I say bye bye to the devil, I enter into the Kingdom of Light. Thank You Jesus Christ, for in Jesus mighty name I pray, amen.

Congratulations!!!

Peace!

ALSO SEE:
https://tabletalkmagazine.com/article/2023/05/crude-joking/
https://412teens.org/qna/is-it-wrong-to-laugh-at-inappropriate-jokes.php
Re: When Jokes Become Sin? by MMWandali: 10:45am On Apr 23
It's unfortunate the way people, especially comedians joke with religion and scriptures

(1) (Reply)

Do You Know Jews Don’t Believe Jesus Is The Son Of God / Which Day God Create Mountains? / The Female Disciples Of Jesus!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.