Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha (13642 Views)

Lagos Govt Begins Removal Of Illegal Structures In Computer Village / FCTA Demolishes Illegal Market Allegedly Use For Criminal Activities In Abuja / Anambra Flood: NEMA Confirms One Dead, 651,000 Displaced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by adamusuleiman1: 4:49am On Apr 24
The authorities of Onitsha South Local Government Area of Anambra State have demolished illegal structures and shanties along the bank of the River Niger, by Niger Street, Fegge, Onitsha.

The exercise, which started on Sunday and continued on Monday, saw the demolition of machine houses, stores and sand beaches of sand miners and traders doing business along the area.

The demolition affected several equipment houses, shops and business premises, and it is coming barely a month after over 2,300 shops in the same area were demolished by the council area.

Our correspondent gathered that the exercise had displaced no fewer than 4,000 sand miners and traders doing business and trading in the area.

The demolition was supervised by the Chairman of Onitsha South Local Government Area, Emeka Orji, in the company, along with over 15 operatives of the Anambra State Vigilante Service.

Speaking during the exercise, Orji re-emphasised the state government’s determination towards reclaiming the land from the present occupiers.

Orji said, “The state government is determined to reclaim the land from its present occupiers and clear the area of illegal structures defacing the environment. The affected victims have been warned to vacate the place, but they did not take the warning seriously.”

As the demolition was ongoing, some of the affected sand miners were seen hurriedly removing their equipment, including sand drilling machines, while the traders among them, were seen removing their commodities, including alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, food and snacks, from the scene.

This is just as they lamented that the exercise had rendered them jobless and homeless.

During the exercise, one of the properties, a fuel station marked for, almost caused a crisis, as the demolition-affected owners started agitating and kicking against the demolition.

The intervention of the vigilante operatives, who started shooting sporadically, scared the people agitating from coming near the demolition point.

One of the victims, Lucky Okoye, said that over 20 houses housing River Craft Machines numbering about 40 were affected, and each River Craft Machine is employing between 18 to 25 workers who are now displaced.

A trader, Mrs Agnes Ezeh, who lost some of her commodities in her destroyed shop, said that over 60 shops belonging to petty traders were also destroyed in Monday’s demolition. Sand beaches were not left out as they were levelled in the demolition exercise, making the number of displaced people about 760, apart from 250 people displaced in Sunday demolition.

The affected victims were Uche Okafor Sand Beach, Beneath Ozoemena Sand Beach, Chidi Iheme, Alhaji Danladi and Sumo, Alhaji Salusi Nnaemeka Sand Beach, Obidi Ibeanu and Daniel Eze Beaches.

Other companies affected by Monday’s demolition are Amaonye and Omekigbo Braches, with not less than 80 workers, while over 30 shop owners in the area were displaced by the demolition.

At the scene of the demolition, many affected victims were seen hurriedly removing their multi-million naira sand drilling machines, also known as River Craft Machines, while the traders among them were seen removing their commodities, including alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, food and snacks, while sand workers were seen lamenting that they would be jobless.

https://punchng.com/4000-displaced-as-anambra-demolishes-illegal-structures-in-onitsha/

10 Likes

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by helinues: 5:22am On Apr 24
Toh

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by muykem: 5:33am On Apr 24
So far it's not Lagos, Obidients don't have problem with it.

120 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by vanbonattel: 5:36am On Apr 24
That's nice, there are newer and better housing in Onitsha.

4 Likes

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by vanbonattel: 5:37am On Apr 24
muykem:

Sorry o, Obidients are already torturing you this early? grin

Your pain go plenty o

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by chopnaira: 6:03am On Apr 24
muykem:
Lol.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by nairalanda1(m): 6:21am On Apr 24
Sensiblemann:
Oam4j want you to be sweeping his kitchen.

It's time you let this rest man

There are a lot of nairalanders who are to me irritating and annoying. If I spent my time trolling them as you do, I won't have a life. I would have ended up allowing them to rule me and dominate me.

As one old wise man said ' no man is going to make me hate him'

You have allowed helinues to make you hate him. In a way he has won. And when that happens what next.

You can tell me that you are doing the Lord work a million times, but at the end you are allowing a known bigot to drive you crazy.

Because of politics.

Better not let the helinues make you angry for nothing. That's his game and you are and have been falling for it. After several years of doing this thing, have you succeeded in driving him off this site? Was it worth it.? The guy is probably laughing at you right now . While probably pretending to be helpless. It's a long game and he knows how to play it.

Don't let the internet trolls like him own you. At the end, it's not worth it. Elections come and go. Internet discussions come and go. No one will remember hot internet bants ten years hence.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by duro4chang(m): 6:42am On Apr 24
Obi and his followers will not complain because it didn't happen in Lagos. Always playing victim mentality

78 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by 7lives: 6:56am On Apr 24
They're being victimized because they're Igbos, they should just take their business to the Igboland.
No be so una dey cry?
Now get ready, go.
Cry Wella, always building outside approved plans, buncha junkers.

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by Rgp92: 6:59am On Apr 24
nairalanda1:

It's time you let this rest man

There are a lot of nairalanders who are to me irritating and annoying. If I spent my time trolling them as you do, I won't have a life. I would have ended up allowing them to rule me and dominate me.

As one old wise man said ' no man is going to make me hate him'

You have allowed helinues to make you hate him. In a way he has won. And when that happens what next.

You can tell me that you are doing the Lord work a million times, but at the end you are allowing a known bigot to drive you crazy.

Because of politics.

Better not let the helinues make you angry for nothing. That's his game and you are and have been falling for it. After several years of doing this thing, have you succeeded in driving him off this site? Was it worth it.? The guy is probably laughing at you right now . While probably pretending to be helpless. It's a long game and he knows how to play it.

Don't let the internet trolls like him own you. At the end, it's not worth it. Elections come and go. Internet discussions come and go. No one will remember hot internet bants ten years hence.

Nairaland1, you are one of the unbaised commenter on nairaland. I have been on this forum for along time and i had to log in again to ask you what has Helius done to be called a troll? The other guy have been making account daily to troll him for a long time now, and imo what helius say is not different from what a lot of ppl on nairaland do. How does that make him a troll? Like i said sir, i just want to know what he does that is different from the other commenters

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4,000 Displaced As Anambra Demolishes Illegal Structures In Onitsha by highchief1: 7:15am On Apr 24

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria / Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government / Independence Celebration At Ekwueme Square In Awka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.