Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,937 members, 7,952,775 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:58 PM

Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ (9613 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / If Fuel Crisis Is Crippling Nigeria What Will Happens When N/delta Goes On Flam / Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Relax101(m): 5:08pm On Nov 19, 2011
Nigeria ‘ll Crash If Subsidy Stays – Jonathan!

By Paul Odenyi,  Abuja
President Goodluck Jonathan has predicted that Nigeria would crash if the Federal Government failed to act fast by removing subsidy on petroleum products.

But some members of the National Assembly and the Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole said Nigeria will not break up beacuse of fuel subsidy.

According to a member of the House of Representatives, Bimbo Daramola, who was among members of the house who met with Jonathan to discuss the issues of Boko Haram and removal of oil subsidy among others, Jonathan said that Nigeria would ‘’crash’’ if the subsidy on petroleum products was not removed.

Daramola made the revealtions in an interview with Saturday Vanguard in Abuja, adding that those at the meeting at the Presidential Villa were not sufficiently convinced by what Jonathan told them as reasons for removal of fuel subsidy.

He said, “Mr. President did not sufficiently convince me or my other colleagues in the House of Representatives. I don’t want to be graphic with what happened there but I am telling you that it was a faux pau. ’’I do not think he achieved any purpose. I do not think he moved the story forward. I would say that his reasons did not appeal to Representatives.”

’’He tried to say and indeed made it clear to us that if he does not take out the subsidy, Nigeria will go down. In his own words, Nigeria will crash.

’’I do not think that was the right thing to say but I believe very strongly that the nobility of the intentions of Mr. President may not be questionable.

’’Like he said, it is not about Goodluck Jonathan it is about Nigeria. We are on the same page on that score. The truth of the matter however, is that there are so many ways that lead to the market.

’’His strongest argument was that it was becoming difficult to sustain the high subsidy regime on fuel products. He said if we go on this way, Nigeria will be in deep trouble. In his words: Nigeria will crash.

’The truth of the matter is that well we need more money, but there are many ancilliary issues that will to be sorted out. Removal of subsidy is not an isolated event.

’’This is an economy that is mono product – driven and we would expect that anything that happens to this product will resonate across the length and breadth of the country.

’’What the President did was all rationalization. He said the guys who move the product to the market donot actually use Premium Motor Spirit, PMS; that they use diesel. These are simplistic rationalizations.

’’He also tried to say that the subsidy we are talking about does not profit Nigerians but a pocket of cartel in the industry. And people immediately rose up to say, Mr. President, why are you saying this.

’’If it is a cartel, you crack it. Abdul Ningi I remember said it clearly that he was the most powerful President in the black world, and that is the truth. And if we are confronted by a cabal or cartel, then it is about time we dealt with the issue decisively.

’’And today, we are trying to give this reason for taking such decision that will affect the masses of our people.

’’He also tried to talk about the issue of bunkering that is also being resolved and all that. People also said okay, if you take out the subsidy what becomes of the amount of money you may eventually raise.

’’He tried to tell us that there is a committee that is headed by the Vice President (Namadi Sambo) and they are working on what will be committed from the revenue from the removal of subsidy and that they have gone 80 percent and all that.

’’For me, that is not sufficient to begin to push this idea of removal of subsidy. The strongest of the arguments is pure simplistic rationalization. Issues like the removal of subsidy must have cogent, articulate, verifiable, clear cut argument for and against.

’’You must be able to say, yes if you do this we gain this and that. Abdul Ningi tried to raise the political and security consequences of the push particularly at a time when the Arabian spring and all that… Removal of subsidy should not be left in the realms of conjecture and simplistic rationalization.’’

2012 budget not in the National Assembly ….

On the 2012 budget which was yet to be submitted to the National Assembly, Daramola said, ‘’Absolutely, it is not in the National Assembly. I think also that that meeting was preparatory to that. And I think he wants to send it in within the next two weeks.

’’If the budget comes in December at a time we are almost closing for the year, you can imagine what will happen to it. That is another recipe for failure.

’’I keep talking of the leadership of the new House of Representatives, because we are determined to ensure that we do a thorough job.

’’I am also hoping that it would pass at the House and that the Senate will concur, that a law comes into force to compel the President to present the appropriation bill, three months before the end of the year.

’’But this year we may have to deal with this budget the way it is coming. And you will not expect that parliament will be rail- roaded or ridden rough shod.

’’We will take our magnifying glasses to look at the final prints of this budget. And this might run us uptill February or March. My brother that is the scenario.’’

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/nigeria-%E2%80%98ll-crash-if-subsidy-stays-jonathan/
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 19, 2011

’’What the President did was all rationalization. He said the guys who move the product to the market donot actually use Premium Motor Spirit, PMS; that they use diesel. These are simplistic rationalizations.

’’He also tried to say that the subsidy we are talking about does not profit Nigerians but a pocket of cartel in the industry. And people immediately rose up to say, Mr. President, why are you saying this.

’’If it is a cartel, you crack it. Abdul Ningi I remember said it clearly that he was the most powerful President in the black world, and that is the truth. And if we are confronted by a cabal or cartel, then it is about time we dealt with the issue decisively.

Somebody seriously need to borrow GEJ some brains!

Beaf why don't you do your master a favour and borrow him your brain for a couple of months!

He is really disgracing Niger Deltans!
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by otokx(m): 7:35pm On Nov 19, 2011
Has Nigeria not already crashed?
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Kilode1: 7:45pm On Nov 19, 2011
Abdul Ningi, whoever that is, spoke my mind.

You can't fight cartel and you were running and dancing up and down in April struggling to become president.

It's not by force, you can resign if the job is too hard nah undecided
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by obowunmi(m): 7:54pm On Nov 19, 2011
No Nigeria will crash if you don't stop looting our treasury, don't start investing in the youths, and don't stop all monopolies, where only two people control all major productions, These are scary times for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by kokoA(m): 8:19pm On Nov 19, 2011
GEJ: Nigeria will crash if subsudy stays

Ningi: (shakes head) Haba Mr. President, how can say that naaawww??

This story sounds real funny to me grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Midas02(m): 8:51pm On Nov 19, 2011
In response to Mr president and his ill-advised and ill-informed antics, I humbly ask interested parties to read this: >

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-806581.0.html

Let us educate and arm ourselves with information about our fatherland and its current state so that we will no longer be railroaded and bamboozled by reprobate, decadent and greedy political leaders!
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Nov 19, 2011
Because a the cost of a mismanaged, corruption plagued, subsidy scheme is now as high as $8billion annually, Nigeria will crash if we don't scrap the program, even though it currently benefits about 150 million Nigerians?
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by executinal(m): 11:20am On Nov 20, 2011
kokoA:

GEJ: Nigeria will crash if subsudy stays

Ningi: (shakes head) Haba Mr. President, how can say that naaawww??

This story sounds real funny to me grin grin grin

javascript:void(0);
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by babaowo: 11:27am On Nov 20, 2011
2012 is real,predictions of westerner about naija. Lawd hav mercy.
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Dr9ce(m): 11:44am On Nov 20, 2011
Subsidy or no subsidy this nation is going to crash anyways.
We are obviously not united as a nation and we can't even tolerate one another any longer, there's no point staying together.
We will be doing ourselves a great disservice if do not clamour and hold a sovereign national conference any time from now!
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Ufeolorun(m): 11:56am On Nov 20, 2011
Until he gets the fact that pdp is actually a minority in National assembly the better for him(ACN.+Cpc+radical member of pdp/mostly northern member=majority). The presence of a strong opposition in that house has emboldened a lot of pdp guys who should normal be afraid to disagree with the pdp's postion.
The muttering of a vote of no confidence by the pdp controlled senate should normally be a wake call to Jonathan's Nannies but they won't wake up cos they are equally clueless.

Nigeria will crash? Our 'president' is chatting soggy,man!

Koda!!.
sad
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by zerocool(m): 12:36pm On Nov 20, 2011
Which ever way, the ultimate is inevitable and just an accident waiting to happen. Fuel subsidy removal or left Intact, Nigeria is crashing.
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Leopantro: 12:56pm On Nov 20, 2011
Medicals in the Presidency.:
1. Drugs/Medical Supplies will cost
us N402,175,400.00 this year. That
is N1.1million every day
2. Medical Expenses cost
N83,800,500 this year. That is
N229,590.00 per day.
3. Purchase of Health/Medical
Equipment cost N247,389,088.00
this year. That is N677,778.32 per day.
do the maths, then come back and talk to us about fuel subsidy
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by ujchief(m): 1:00pm On Nov 20, 2011
theres something hidden about this subsidy saga that nigerians and the press is yet to unravel. The reps visited so as to get cognitive reasons to back the agenda up but gej left them with more questions than answers. What and who are these carbals and how are they benefiting from a subsidy that works well for 150mil nigeriaos? Is it a cult too powerful for our c-in-c to fight? Why has he chosen to fight them indirectly by using us as life shield? We are yet to get the readable version of this fuel subsidy manuscript.
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by ujchief(m): 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2011
@Leo, did u say 1.1million naira worth of drug daily? Kai! No wonder the white hair dey full im head at geometrical progression, shocked
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Demoladoc: 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2011
people wait a minuteo!!!

This thingy is not about GEJ o!! Its abt nigeriao. This subsidy thingy is killing nigerian economooo. We better allow Gofanment to remof it so that i can free more moneyo for other infrastructiral thingyo.

We better listeno
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 20, 2011
The writer means to say default not crash. I hope they are able to sort this problem out before it starts having bad impact on the people.
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by ofwolfnman: 1:25pm On Nov 20, 2011
GEJ is a bloody cretin.I cannot understand how he made it as a University lecturer
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by blackweaver(m): 1:30pm On Nov 20, 2011
abeg if oil companies are given a deadline of one year to have refineries that are working at full capacity and six months after that importation is banned this useless argument of deregulation will stop joo
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 20, 2011
I don't know whether to laugh or cry, this slowpoke obviously believes Nigerians are a stoopid bunch, I mean how else can he say this with a straight face it's insulting and he knows we know he's just bullshiiting and won't do anything about it.Hope you reetards that voted for his clueless arse are thanking God for all the goodluck the clown's bringing you.*SMH*.Hope you're ready for 8years of this nonsense,go get all your goodluck in hell when Jonathan's done with yall.
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 20, 2011
i
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by otondo55: 1:44pm On Nov 20, 2011
Please GEJ ! Let it Crash !!! shocked shocked shocked
We are not living, we are just existing.
Lets try other Nationality like O'dua Republic, Arewa, Barfra etc !
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 20, 2011
The masses are not against fuel subsidy, rather the masses are fighting against the over 80% of money that will be stolen from d fuel subsidy removal.
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Maximip(m): 1:53pm On Nov 20, 2011
Eehn, they should remove the fuel subsidy lets know wassup. They should sha expand the roads so people can start using bicycle.
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by erinolu(m): 2:13pm On Nov 20, 2011
One thing bothering my mind is that there could be some people behind the scene controlling the presidency, Is GEJ being controlled by certain persons or cabals to act without considering the implications of his actions.

Remembering how GEJ is running without taking adequate measures, reminds one of the late General Aguinyi Ironsi

hmmmmm !!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Kay1kay1(m): 2:38pm On Nov 20, 2011
Mr. Dr. President, Mr. Dr.  President, Mr. Dr. President, How many times?, shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by gulfer: 2:42pm On Nov 20, 2011
He (Jonathan) is 54years hoping he knows. Fuel subsidy has been in place for how long? Truth is , there has never been anything in the guise but only a fractious manipulation with a semblance of subsidy. We are all prepared for him whatever his excuses are.o
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Martmore: 2:45pm On Nov 20, 2011
But we have people who operate "illegal" refineries, why not encourage them and make them legal so as to boost the production of refined petroleum products.If not allow the country to crash and see if the independent nations would import even 1 litre of kero
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 3:38pm On Nov 20, 2011
gulfer:

He (Jonathan) is 54years hoping he knows. Fuel subsidy has been in place for how long? Truth is , there has never been anything in the guise but only a fractious manipulation with a semblance of subsidy. We are all prepared for him whatever his excuses are.o
we are all living in a country full of lies
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by Yinkay: 3:47pm On Nov 20, 2011
Let Nigeria crash so we can reformatt her,reboot and reprogramme her in the way Nigerians really wants. cheesy
Re: Nigeria Will Crash If Fuel Subsidy Stays – GEJ by EvilBrain1(m): 3:55pm On Nov 20, 2011
After he loses this subsidy battle, Jonathan will have practically no credibility left. He's already lost the respect of the national assembly and all well-informed Nigerians and things will only get worse for him. Even those who still like him have to admit that he's a little bit daft.

Now that the opposition can sense weakness, they're going to make things far more difficult for him from now on. They'll pick giant holes in everything he tries to do or say. And knowing our president, it won't take much effort to make him look stûpîd. For the next three years Jonathan is going to be the lamest lame-duck president the world has ever seen.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ondo: Rotimi Akeredolu Orders LGA Chairmen To Set Up Local Vigilante / 2023: Ex-Niger Delta Militant Generals/Student Body endorses Ibrahim Bello / Reps Fear National Assembly May Be Next Terror Target

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.