Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage (9003 Views)

POWA Behind Demolition At Computer Village Not LASG - Gbenga Omotoso / Gbenga Omotoso: Lagos Not Trying To Protect Tinubu With Anti-Graft Law / New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by OnionBandit(f): 8:34pm On Apr 25
The Lagos State Government has not increased the minimum wage, contrary to the impression in some media reports, which emanated from the unveiling of Eko Cares – the umbrella for the various interventions to protect the poor against the effects of the prevailing economic hardship. The event was held at the Governor’s Office in Ikeja on Wednesday.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has been erroneously quoted as saying that a new minimum wage of N70,000 had been announced. This is wrong. Mr. Governor never said so. He said since January, civil servants had been earning the N35,000 wage award directed by the Federal Government. In other words, those earning N35,000 now earn N70,000. He did not announce a new minimum wage of N70,000.

His words: “I know that by the grace of God very very soon we'll see a new minimum wage that will be approved for the Federal Government and for the state government

The civil servants and all public officers, they know that since January we have continued to pay the wage allowance of minimum of N35,000 over and above what they were earning before.

“People that were earning a minimum of N35,000 to N40,000 before, they are now earning over N70,000. So, it’s important for people to know and for us to lay this thing very clearly. This government has doubled up and has not left its citizens on their own…”.

Gbenga Omotoso
HC, Information & Strategy

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by immortalcrown(m): 8:39pm On Apr 25
Nawa oh!

But at least, he is paying the award. The 70k is not enough but is better than the states that are not paying the award.

8 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by MrProlific95: 8:41pm On Apr 25
Good that it was clarified on time, because I don't know why #70,000 will be announced as new minimum wage.

Anything less than #100k is not the living wage Tinubu promised them workers

Anyways I am happy to have decide

17 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by LegendHero(m): 8:43pm On Apr 25
Yes that’s what he said on video by himself. But as usual, several media house have different interpretations of his statement.

—Truly, the minimum wage of any Lagos civil servant is N70k if you add the 35k to the additional wage of 35k Sanwo is paying. However, this is only applicable to those at the minimum level. Lowest level worker in the civil service.

—For workers earning above minimum wage, they only have additional 35k wage award added to their current salary and no adjustment increase with respect to minimum wage.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by decentchad(m): 8:44pm On Apr 25
Nice one
Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by treesun: 9:00pm On Apr 25
OnionBandit:
https://twitter.com/gbenga_omo/status/1783574773911449984?t=p3-8ufZzNrBPfA_PeMA1Iw&s=19

The Lagos State Government has not increased the minimum wage, contrary to the impression in some media reports, which emanated from the unveiling of Eko Cares – the umbrella for the various interventions to protect the poor against the effects of the prevailing economic hardship. The event was held at the Governor’s Office in Ikeja on Wednesday.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has been erroneously quoted as saying that a new minimum wage of N70,000 had been announced. This is wrong. Mr. Governor never said so. He said since January, civil servants had been earning the N35,000 wage award directed by the Federal Government. In other words, those earning N35,000 now earn N70,000. He did not announce a new minimum wage of N70,000.

His words: “I know that by the grace of God very very soon we'll see a new minimum wage that will be approved for the Federal Government and for the state government

The civil servants and all public officers, they know that since January we have continued to pay the wage allowance of minimum of N35,000 over and above what they were earning before.

“People that were earning a minimum of N35,000 to N40,000 before, they are now earning over N70,000. So, it’s important for people to know and for us to lay this thing very clearly. This government has doubled up and has not left its citizens on their own…”.

Gbenga Omotoso
HC, Information & Strategy

Nlfpmod
Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Seun

When you talk too much, the cost implication is massive. I heard on Nigeria info. Now he is tring to change mouth!

3 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by OnionBandit(f): 9:10pm On Apr 25
treesun:

When you talk too much, the cost implication is massive. I heard on Nigeria info. Now he is tring to change mouth!
which one be talk too much for here? Are you new to our blogs creating sensational headlines out of every development?

26 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by Bintabisiriyu2: 9:14pm On Apr 25
treesun:

You are hearing nonsense - voices!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by treesun: 11:45pm On Apr 25
Bintabisiriyu2:

You are hearing nonsense - voices!
Go and listen and watch the video. Why do you defend your oppressors without thinking, borrow brain!

1 Like

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by Ikembeku: 11:47pm On Apr 25
LegendHero:
Yes that’s what he said on video by himself. But as usual, several media house have different interpretations of his statement.

—Truly, the minimum wage of any Lagos civil servant is N70k if you add the 35k to the additional wage of 35k Sanwo is paying. However, this is only applicable to those at the minimum level. Lowest level worker in the civil service.

—For workers earning above minimum wage, they only have additional 35k wage award added to their current salary and no adjustment increase with respect to minimum wage.

Defender of gazelle gagaraaaaaa😃😃😃😃😃

9 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by Bintabisiriyu2: 11:54pm On Apr 25
treesun:

Go and listen and watch the video. Why do you defend your oppressors without thinking, borrow brain!
Keep shut buzu am not you

4 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by Karleb(m): 4:57am On Apr 26
grin grin
Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by aikyg(m): 4:57am On Apr 26
Oops! What about the people that have gone to borrow money to celebrate with friends thinking that their minimum wage has increased? The state government needs to punish the bloggers who pushed the fake news.
Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by muhammaduyusufu: 4:57am On Apr 26
Another fake news that people cheered on. I think Nairaland mods should start doing due diligence before pushing every nonsense without a proper and verifiable link to FP.

21 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by fmlala: 4:59am On Apr 26
Hey?
Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by jeff1993: 5:03am On Apr 26
Fear catch me oooooo ..... Tinubu never announce minimum wage, na him boy wan run announce am.

4 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by dayleke: 5:07am On Apr 26
Eko o gbodo baje o...
Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by rinzaugustine: 5:09am On Apr 26
Believe anything from Agbado at your own risk

9 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by OAFMods: 5:11am On Apr 26
Do you know Anambra civil servants in this 2024 are not earning the old minimum wage of ₦30,000.

This are the legacies of Peter Pandora Obi ipob n obidient miscreant won't disclose on social media. Do not take my word for it, simply ask Labour Party which Peter Pandora Obi is now a member.

MrProlific95:
Good that it was clarified on time, because I don't know why #70,000 will be announced as new minimum wage.

Anything less than #100k is not the living wage Tinubu promised them workers

Anyways I am happy to have decide
rinzaugustine:
Believe anything from Agbado at your own risk
jeff1993:
Fear catch me oooooo ..... Tinubu never announce minimum wage, na him boy wan run announce am.

My brother if earning ₦70000 in Lagos is oppression what will you now call those earning ₦18000 in this 2024 in Anambra

treesun:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by CaptainFM1: 5:11am On Apr 26
#70,000 and we say make Civil servants no dey corrupt?

Government should stop being the largest employer of labour but instead create enabling environment for investors to create jobs and absorb the workforce.

Even #70,000 in this economy is a meagre pellet.

4 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by GlorifiedTunde(m): 5:14am On Apr 26
So Lagos workers are getting 35k palliative added to their salaries monthly and Ogun state government is giving them just 10k?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by OAFMods: 5:22am On Apr 26
Now consider Anambra that is not even paying ₦30,000 minimum wage. Imagine earning the old ₦18,000 minimum wage in Anambra 2024.

CaptainFM1:
#70,000 and we say make Civil servants no dey corrupt?

Government should stop being the largest employer of labour but instead create enabling environment for investors to create jobs and absorb the workforce.

Even #70,000 in this economy is a meagre pellet.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by Vinnie2000(m): 5:24am On Apr 26
APC, a party of LIES and PROPAGANDA. undecided

See how they are Disgracing themselves. sad

8 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by OAFMods: 5:25am On Apr 26
Ogun state pay minimum wage of ₦30,000. Workers in Anambra are still being paid old ₦18000 with any extra ₦10,000 so you beta thank God.

GlorifiedTunde:
So Lagos workers are getting 35k palliative added to their salaries monthly and Ogun state government is giving them just 10k?
Vinnie2000:

2 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by helinues: 5:27am On Apr 26
Good music no required noise
Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by helinues: 5:29am On Apr 26
Vinnie2000:

Why do some of you people like to just disgrace una self.

Why do you people just like to misuse the word propaganda?

Go and watch the video of the governor addressing the workers, asking them if they have not been receiving N70k since January which they all confirmed.

See, hatred no dey make person far in life

2 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by GlorifiedTunde(m): 5:30am On Apr 26
OAFMods:
Ogun state pay minimum wage of ₦30,000. Workers in Anambra are still being paid old ₦18000 with any extra ₦10,000 so you beta thank God.

Whether people are cheated by 50% or 75% , it doesn't matter that one is better than the other. Different rules apply, different standards of living, different allocations...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by TallPck1(m): 5:32am On Apr 26
A very useless government! By oligarchs within a circle of political criminals.

4 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by CaptainFM1: 5:41am On Apr 26
OAFMods:
Now consider Anambra that is not even paying ₦30,000 minimum wage.

I'm not considering anything. Don't bring me into this tribal discussion of Anambra-Lagos-Katsina.

I don't understand how we develop mentality to be comparing poverty and sufferings.

The society has been polarized by the political elites to the extent that they now use poverty differentials as a weapon against the common man.

We are saying #70,000 is small, yet you are bringing #30,000 into the equation. Am I suppose to gloat that my compatriot somewhere or anywhere in this country is earning that chicken feed as a civil servant and celebrate the one earning #70,000?

I do not understand what and why you want me to compare poverty as if my brother in Kano, Jigawa, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Damaturu, Kafancha, Lokoja etc don't matter to me.

6 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by Femich18(m): 5:50am On Apr 26
We watched the video and exactly what he heard but trust media houses to twist it to generate traffic.

See how guys up there have turned it to a tribal thing. Wahala

1 Like

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by adioolayi(m): 6:06am On Apr 26
Yes!!!

I don't understand what's wrong with Nigeria's media.

In the video where the wrong headlines originated from, Gov. Sanwoolu only said new minimum wage would be soon announced by the FGN and Lagos is ready. He went further to state that Lagos State Government have been paying ADDITIONAL WAGE AWARD of #35,000 since January 2024..and so, by doing this, workers that have been earning current minimum wage of NGN 35,000 have been taking home NGN 70,000.

How these statements was interpreted to mean NGN 70,000 new minimum wage by Lagos is what I also don't understand.

Our media needs to do better.

2 Likes

Re: Gbenga Omotoso: Sanwo-Olu Did Not Announce New Minimum Wage by poiu44: 6:08am On Apr 26
ThìsGlobe.com pictures

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Join A Political Party? / Ovation Publisher, Dele Momodu Joins Presidential Race! / Afro-asiatic Languages And Nigerian Peoples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.