Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,446 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Is Betting Bad For A Christian? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Betting Bad For A Christian? (19326 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Is Betting A Sin? / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by ItGeek(m): 1:05pm On Nov 21, 2011
Hi poster,

my advice is research on what gambling is and is not and follow your conscience. A lot of things done in life is akin to gambling because there is always a probability(chance) attached. the link below will help.http://www.investorguide.com/gambling-vs-investing
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by SuperT(m): 1:17pm On Nov 21, 2011
Gambling or Betting is bad. There is no way you will beat the promoter of the Game. No matter how big

You win, he will surely collect it back from you. Promoters have the last lough. See all Nigeria promoter. They are very

very rich. Where did they get their Riches? From those they consider as fools. Stakers will always poor.  

Be wish, drop Gambling or Betting for Legitimate Business that will move your Life forward. It a useless Investment

If you called it so.
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by lailaiwala: 4:36pm On Nov 21, 2011
gambling is not a good thing. but if u get desperate, better to be careful how much money u spend on it, if u cant help yourself. not everyone will be lucky like this guy. also i wonder how much he lost before he won half a million pounds.

Premier League - Gambler scoops £585k from late winner
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21112011/58/premier-league-gambler-scoops-585k-late-winner.html
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 24, 2015
omaojo1:
It is a sin, the sin of Covetousness.

Though gambling is not mentioned any where in the Bible, it falls under the sin of Covetousness.

According to the Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology, Covetousness is a strong desire to have that which belongs to another.

Hear Jesus speaking "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

If you are Heavenly minded, and you desire it by all means and at all cost, then stay away from gambling.

bros u still trading forex?
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 24, 2015
numo86:
God’s Viewpoint
The Bible does not discuss gambling in detail. Nevertheless, it does provide us with principles that help us determine how God views gambling.
Experience has shown that gambling reflects greed. The Bible strongly condemns greed, warning that ‘no greedy person would have any inheritance in God’s kingdom.’ (Ephesians 5:5) Greed is seen even when gamblers lose. According to one authority, the gambler “tries to win back what he has lost—looking for the ‘big hit.’ If he does win big, he bets bigger, and eventually loses his ‘big hit.’” Yes, greed is certainly a part of gambling.
Gambling is used by some as a means of feeding their pride. One survey conducted with compulsive gamblers showed that 94 percent considered gambling to be an “ego building activity,” and 92 percent said they felt like a “big shot” when they gambled. Yet, God says: “Self-exaltation and pride . . . I have hated.” Thus, Christians are urged to cultivate modesty and humility.—Proverbs 8:13; 22:4; Micah 6:8.
Gambling may also induce laziness, since it seems like an easy way to make money without the effort involved in working. But God’s Word clearly incites Christians to diligent, hard work.—Ephesians 4:28.
Moreover, what they call luck is so important to some gamblers that they become obsessed with it, making it their god. This is similar to the Bible account about men who were “setting in order a table for the god of Good Luck.” Because of their idolatrous action, they were destined “to the sword.”—Isaiah 65:11, 12.
No, gambling is not for Christians. As one magazine editor put it, ‘not only is gambling wrong but it is also a poor bet.’
, in all,while gamblin is not outrightly stated in d bible,certain godly principles helps us avoid it, becos everytin associated wit gambling does not originate wit God but originates with d devill, wether love for money,greed,pride and egotism, all dont ryhme with Gods will, shikena!!

In my life only one church have seen rejecting proceeds from gambling like they tell u before hand dat if u are a yahoo yahoo, 419, nairabet, merrybet, binary option, baba ijebu , lotto,, & d likes also if u are a prostitute, kidnapper, arm robber, hire assassin etc that you must not drop ur tithe or else you carry curse. I've never play any of these stuff except d forex market as investment
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by PROPHETmichael: 4:06pm On Jul 24, 2015
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by Nobody: 7:02am On Jul 27, 2015
TomPioPio:

In my life only one church have seen rejecting proceeds from gambling like they tell u before hand dat if u are a nairabet, baba ijebu , lotto,, & other get quick rich scheme that you must not drop ur tithe or else you carry curse.
.............. Which church could that be pls?
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 01, 2015
modelmike7:
.............. Which church could that be pls?

send me PM please
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 01, 2015
TomPioPio:

send me PM please
.............. Okay.
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by sotimonpe(m): 7:23am On Oct 25, 2015
the following links may provides answer to your question
http://www.godvine.com/bible/category/gambling
http://www.gotquestions.org/definition-sin.html

start bulk sms, mini importation business lowoa5@gmail.com
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by samvee: 3:26pm On Mar 18, 2017
naija4:
Betting is good business.i have to say God should not determine the business you do or you dont.naija christains are some of the most stupids i see everyday.#use your sense#I AM KINGSLEY

young mam be careful with d way u talk about Christians otherwise something terrible will happen to u.......take note
Re: Is Betting Bad For A Christian? by Niflheim(m): 4:44pm On Mar 18, 2017
@op,

Christians don't like betting but they buy shares in companies?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sex Scandal: Is Apostle Suleman Scared To Go To Court? / Christian Hip Hop: A Look At The New Trend / Limit To Intimacy In A Christian Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.