Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees (5035 Views)

BREAKING: Fashola Orders Reversal Of LASU Fees To Old Charges / Fashola Defends And Justifies The Increment Of LASU Fees / Nig Universities Shud Prepare For Hike Tuition Fees If Lag Govt Implement New Lasu Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by werepeLeri: 9:48am On Nov 20, 2011
Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees

THE Peoples Democratic Party governorship candidate in Lagos State in the April poll, Dr Ade Dosunmu has tackled the state governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola,  over the recent 700 per cent hike in tuition fee in the institution.

Dosunmu said the arbitrary hike was a disservice to  the citizens in the face of economic hardship in the country.  He expressed disgust that  LASU authorities could arbitrarily increase tuition fees without considering the implications on the students, parents, guardians, and the society.

He stated that it was obvious that with over 700 per cent increase in fees, LASU is totally out of the reach of ordinary parents in Lagos State, adding that this amounted to nothing but a gross act of insensitivity.

Dosunmu claimed that public education, public health and public infrastructure still remained the basic responsibility of government at all levels to the tax payers.

He queried, ‘’How do we reconcile the LASU situation (where fee payable by students range from N193,000 to N350, 000), with what obtains in other state universities, where fees are; Gombe State-N35, 000, Ondo State University- N30, 000 and Kogi State University- N20, 000.’’

According to him, ‘’Obviously the astronomical hike in LASU fees is unrealistic, oppressive and counter-productive. It will automatically deprive thousands of our students access to university education thereby contradicting the objective for setting up the institution.’’

He declared, ‘’The indifference of the Lagos State University Authorities in the face of the students’ protest, public outcry and criticisms, amount to betrayal of public trust. May I, therefore, remind the governor as the visitor to LASU that government exists for the people and not the people existing for government. Government remains a social contract between the people and their leaders.

“The ruling elite should, therefore, not forget history but be conscious of how we all benefited from the commitment of past leaders to public trust. The resources of the state constitute our collective patrimony that government holds in trust for us.

‘’I hereby use this medium to appeal to the executive governor of Lagos State to use his good office to cause the university authorities to reverse the hike in fees in order not to defeat the purpose for the establishment of Lagos State University, as envisioned by the founding fathers of the institution.’’

http://dailypost.com.ng/2011/11/20/dosunmu-tackles-fashola-over-lasu-fees/
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by Akanbiedu(m): 11:10am On Nov 20, 2011
The governor of Lagos consider current students for current fees. New students should made to pay the new fees. If you can't afford it, you have an option to go to cheaper schools somewhere else.

Need-based Scholarships should be provided for gifted incoming students.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 20, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

The governor of Lagos consider current students for current fees. New students should made to pay the new fees. If you can't afford it, you have an option to go to cheaper schools somewhere else.

A developing country like Nigeria needs free education,Even if there is a problem,some programmes need to be scrapped.why go university and come back home without any skill or jobs.How can you go and study religion for 4 years and come back to say the government is this and that.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by werepeLeri: 11:57am On Nov 20, 2011
I guess noone will see anything bad in the increase because Fashola is ACN.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by Akanbiedu(m): 12:43pm On Nov 20, 2011
Complex.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by luvola(m): 1:24pm On Nov 20, 2011
mod move this to the front page
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 20, 2011
So many courses that will not make impact on the society and the person gettting the education. Arabic,French, English,sociology,religion,etc, sending young people to get hungry after graduation.HUNger!
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by luvola(m): 3:16pm On Nov 20, 2011
they should reduce the fees
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by lanrefront1(m): 4:55pm On Nov 20, 2011
I think Fashola is an Elitist governor. This coud not be percieved so much before because Lagos had had it so bad in governance.

But it's clear to me. If you for instance analyse the way/logic by Fashola is "doing" Lagos roads, you will see he's concentating on roads in elitist neigbourhoods (some have been done up to three times) while roads in arear like Ikotun, Isolo, Ipaja, Agege, Iseri have been COMPLETELY ABANDONED,
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by Demdem(m): 1:17pm On Nov 21, 2011
I stand with Dosunmu on this. Those fees even for new intakes should be reviewed downwards.
Again, have not heard this same dosumu talk about the proposed fuel subsidy removal. Since he claim to be the man of the people, he should also ask the retardeen to step aside such plans.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by olusunyah(m): 1:31pm On Nov 21, 2011
Dosumu has a good ground with what he said here. And why on earth will a state school in a developing nation like Nigeria be paying close to N350k per annum in the name of school fee, that is just too much.
How much are private schools paying that schools meant for the public will that be expensive,
What is the fate of a civil servant's children in such school? or even someone trying hard to put things right by him/herself.

I think there is need for the Lagos State Government and University to have a review of this.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by laoak2: 1:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
I voted for Fashola during his first election, but i did not vote for  him  during the second time,  i already saw the signs that he will mess up like Gbenga daniel during his second term in office, it is unfortunate that we are being treated this way, some people are here to represent the government and people in gorvenment, they are tyring to distract us from the topic, the issue on ground   is why should the LASU tuition be increased in the face of all the poverty? It will soon dawn on us that Fashola is not our friend, i am not talking about any party, i am neutral. He claimed to give us PSP, taxi, BRT, tollgate, if you check all this facilities, he created it for his own people and his own frieneds. we are paying heavily for all the things we are suppose to enjoy. They have sold us out ( himself and Tinubu) enriching their own purse alone, not minding the masses.

All the project he has done will not be maintained after him, most of flowers are now bushy, all the dwarf fence around the flowers are now death trap, no tangible project like Airports, university, water project, power project etc

Basic necessity of life that he promised during the election, water zero, electricity zero, security zero , eduction zero, so what he is doing for us.

On the large scale, this govt and set of people have failed us, God will not forgive them
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by ajasa4link: 2:08pm On Nov 21, 2011
Students of lagos state university have blocked d badagry expressway which serves as a link between nigeria and other ecowas countries as a means of protesting the hike in d skul fee with an increament of over 700per cent, The acn govt have decided to make us regret voting 4 them,but we have also decided to say no to their exploitative antics, Letz say to to d impositions of the hemp smoking, fish-eyed,power drunk nincompoop called tinubu and his stone-hearted,order-taking,docile protege called fashola, aluta continua
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by DisGuy: 2:27pm On Nov 21, 2011
700% is outrageuous, i listened a bit to the hearing in the house, and i just cant believe the VC thinks its perfectly in order, i mean if they announce a gradual increase or say in 4years fees will go up by this much it makes sense

but they are arguing they working to get all their courses accredited and get the best hands, why not increase the fee when everything is in place instead of charging fees to make you achieve these

At the moment they are not exactly getting the best bargain, most of the part time students rarely get their results on time, they timetable is all over the place.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by db10dtruth(m): 2:59pm On Nov 21, 2011
Makes no sense increasing the fees to that astronomical amount, a whopping 193-350k, are the rooms in hostel air conditioned, free transport 2 classes? standby gen 24/7?? The Lagos state govt. need to get real, If the parents, guardian has that sort of money why send em children to rotten govt uni when that amount can afford most private uni in 9ja with good infrastructure and beta learning environ
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by db10dtruth(m): 3:09pm On Nov 21, 2011
@Akanbi_edu if the new student can afford it why cant the old ones afford it. If you are bias in person you dont have to be bias with your comments too. The govt should reduce the fee, for Christ sake this is suppose to be a Public uni, Government school my guy. Other schools pay less than 50k except those that are doing programmes even them pay less than 50k,
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by anonimi: 3:55pm On Nov 21, 2011
What is most atrocious about this fee increase is the fact that Babatunde Raji Fashola went to secondary school, Birch Freemans, and did not pay tuition for four years while Jakande was Lagos governor. He also received free books.
This is less than three decades ago and Jakande had less IGR and federal allocation even after adjusting for inflation and population growth compared to BRF.
Rather than make progress from Jakande's time by giving either free tertiary education with the increased revenue or at least generalised bursary for tax-paying residents and needs-based scholarship, Tinubu's ACN is increasing fees by 700% shocked
As someone rightly posted here the cosmetic work he did in his first term is slowly unravelling and the media hype can no longer sustain the mediocre (average) performance that was packaged as excellence.
The pseudo-progressives are slowly but surely being revealed for what they really are- a bunch of Tax & Steal conmen. as they rob millions of Peters (citizens) to pay their very few Pauls (friends, relations and cronies)
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by kholis(m): 3:59pm On Nov 21, 2011
This is a grand display of insensitivity to the plight of the masses. Before now, I honestly thought ACN policies are pro-masses but this school fees hike, coupled with proposed Lekki tolling make one think that ACN and PDP are the same.

Just as it obtains in many other states, the initial masses oriented zeal of Fashola has died down in his second dispensation. WHY? He has turned from being an administrator to a politician.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by ajasa4link: 4:09pm On Nov 21, 2011
This lasu we are talking about here is a non-residential school where all students are on their own when it comes to accommodation. We all live off campus where we pay huge sums of money to our shylock landlords for shanties which they call house. The govt never thought of reducing our burden by building conducive hostels,more lecture rooms,etc and then increasing d fee,but they now put d cart b4 d horse by increasing d fee and making empty promises which we have so long. . . . I tell u,this the time to fight d govt for a change. I used to think education is d only saviour of d common man,but now they want to take it away like that. . . .we d students condemn this in all itz entireity
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by sobolation: 4:31pm On Nov 21, 2011
pls we should just be sincere with ourselves here,the likes of RAJI FASHOLA,TINUBU,LAI MUHAMME,JOE IGBOKWE,E,T,C. all had the opportunity of attending free education,courtesy of the late sage PA AWOLOWO,when the  mantle is now on them to also write their names in GOLD,in the annals of the state and country,they have decided to throw away decorum to the winds and they would rather kill the upcoming youths career on the altar of their kids growth,look at their kids resume,

first degree, london university,califonia university
second degree, university of liverpool,e,t,c

they want to make education unaffordable to the masses in the country,they would go all the way to prove their decision to backup the new rate of fees for the students,the time is almost here,when everybody would hit the street like it happen in the ARAB WORLD,and fight for our right,In every settings of any government certain things are basic responsibility of the government to the masses,namely, EDUCATION,HEALTH,SHELTER,PORTABLE WATER,GOOD ROADS,SECURITY, AND MANY OTHER which i don't want to go far,in any country where the people pay TAX,then its criminal to subject them to such harsh situation.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by deviya: 4:38pm On Nov 21, 2011
even d minimum wage de r still contemplatn about 2 pay, If dat 1 is bin enforced , d total salary of an average lagosian wldnt even b enuff 2 pay d least amount of fee proposd, Dz is all outrageous, D man wan turn lagos 2 London ova nyt,
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by mustspin: 5:04pm On Nov 21, 2011
kholis:

This is a grand display of insensitivity to the plight of the masses. Before now, I honestly thought ACN policies are pro-masses but this school fees hike, coupled with proposed Lekki tolling make one think that ACN and PDP are the same.

Just as it obtains in many other states, the initial masses oriented zeal of Fashola has died down in his second dispensation. WHY? He has turned from being an administrator to a politician.
i think the increment was done that way to give them a good bargaining power. we all know students will always protest against any tuition increment so wot most govt do is to make an outrageous increment and after much protest, enters a dialogue and they come to a reasonable compromise, a good p.r stunt u know. we all know the sch needs the extra funds.
i strongly support the tolling of the lekki express way. for crying out loud, the road is a world class infrastructure and we should be ready to give a little sacrifice for a better nigeria.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by daphil: 5:13pm On Nov 21, 2011
I have always known that ACN is a SCAM! That's just a tip of the iceberg. "Won si nmu eye bo lapo" grin
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:17pm On Nov 21, 2011
This LASU situation should be dealt with seriously
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 21, 2011
dey are pushin us ( d masses) to d wall becos in their purview, we are powerless & moneyless bt d power of d powerless can be more powerful dan d power of d powerful, Anythin more dan 50k as skull fees is a rape on our collective mentality, Hw much does an average civil servant earn in lagos to feed hs family, tk care of aged parents, foot utility bills, cloth himself, children & wife or wives cos fashola is even a muslim. For hw long are we goin to be swept under d carpet by our govt. Fg want to remove fuel subsidy, FG wants to rebuild toll-gates. Fashola wants to increase fees et al, Are we styl watchin, I laugh @ us, i weep 4 us, bt ds has got to stop.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by passionate88: 7:22pm On Nov 21, 2011
werepeLeri:

I guess noone will see anything bad in the increase because Fashola is ACN.

MY brother, Tell them o
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 21, 2011
As long as the ghost of Mr Tinubu looms in the background,Governor Fashola will continue to introduce anti-people policies like this.
Do they even consider the fact that some parents have three to four children in the school?
PATHETIC!
If PDP had done this the Tinubu boys at the Nation newspaper will have assailed our ears with the injustice in such a policy.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by moshoodn(m): 10:10pm On Nov 21, 2011
This just isn't right.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by holaemma: 2:15am On Nov 22, 2011
I T T, DOES THAT MEAN STUDENT OF LOW INCOME EARNERS OR STUDENT THAT HAS LOST HIS BREAD WINNER WILL NOT GO TO UNIVERSITY, When HE&CO was a student, am sure He can't pay this school fees because He attended free education during his own time. Is because he didnt sell pure water to pay 4 His school fees, So He think is that Easy. I pray this country will not be among world top five corrupt country. Because many students wil soon join d group of 'yahoo', and engage in dirty deals to pay the school fees, which their parent cant afford.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by justfree1(m): 6:24am On Nov 22, 2011
I believe any parents or guardian that pays 350k for tuition fees while collecting 18k/month as salary should be jailed! where did he or she get such money from? unless na yahoo tinz or arm robbery. Omo fashola dey Madt true true. If u invest 350k for 4 semester, before a student will graduate and start looking for job, u don blow like madt. Nna see business ooooooo. If I enter as a Governor na 500k na since school fees don turn oil money na, BASTARDS!!!!!
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by ochizo(m): 7:53am On Nov 22, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

I don't blame you. Maybe you are the son/daughter or even one of those political thieves destroying our economy. Don't worry, very soon una go see wetin Naija go turn to. The Govt. is stupidly taken the peoples patience as an advantage and sooner or lata we'd run out of patience then, they'd also start running for their lives. Take it or leave it.
Re: PDP Gov'Ship Candidate Dosunmu Tackles Fashola Over LASU fees by olajide8(m): 8:27am On Nov 22, 2011
I must say this this time he got it completrly wrong giving the vice chancellor the power to aprobate school fees these are people that did even school in nigeria themselves and what they would tell you is its to cheap and quality education isn't cheap they would sight examples but they have forgotten like I always say we need home grown workable policys to solve our own challenges nigerians go to school in scandanavian countries coz they are free what can we do to attract the world to nigeria profitably if not the world at least africa we need to think our policy makers and local administrators need to think outside the box and come up with sustainable programmes which are beneficial to the mass Fashola rethink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unilag 2008/2009 Admission List Is Out! / 15 Things You Might Have Been Doing Wrongly ..(pics) / SSANU Set To Embark On An Indefinite Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.