Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,330 members, 7,826,310 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months (15220 Views)

Man Harvests Human-sized Yams In Enugu (photo) / How To Cultivate Yams In Cement Bags And Sacks Successfully / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Hotzone(m): 9:40am On Apr 28
I bought a yam tuber 4K
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Fcwilly: 10:09am On Apr 28
Easy said than done, anyway until you experience it before you can talk, don't let social media mislead you, if you don't know how to farm on land you will never make head way on this, don't be deceived.
Though you can start small for practical.
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Tyriq: 10:09am On Apr 28
justicenms1:
I have done it before but it didn't yield well I did not provide space for d drainage and d soil was to concentrated, please can you tell me the right time to plant it? Do well to drop ur number please
Now is the time
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Konquest: 10:10am On Apr 28
Great100000:

Yam sack farming is the growing of yam in sacks. The beauty of this method is that it allows even those with limited space to enjoy the benefits of homegrown yams.
Growing yams in sacks is not just a practical solution, it is also an eco-friendly and resource-efficient method.

By using sacks, you can save water and space and even reduce the risk of pests and diseases.

Here is a step-by-step guide to help you grow yams successfully in sacks:

Step 1 – Selecting the appropriate sacks is the first step in successful yam cultivation. Get cement sacks or rice sacks, the bigger the sack(s) the better. You can get sacks from old garri, semo, and bean bags.

Step 2 – Before you begin planting, take a moment to select the right yam variety for your growing conditions. Here are a few popular choices to consider:

Dioscorea alata (Water Yam): Known for its smooth, tender flesh and sweet flavour.

Dioscorea rotundata (White Yam): Has a dry, starchy texture and is often used in traditional dishes.

Dioscorea cayenensis (Yellow Yam): Features a yellowish flesh and a milder flavour.

Then get ash from burnt charcoal and rub on the yam heads which have been cut in small sizes.

Step 3 – Fill the sacks with healthy soil.

Step 4 – You either bury the yam heads or cut your yam into small sizes, rub the ash on the piece, then bury deep in the sack filled with soil.

Step 5 – Proper care is essential for the successful growth of your yams. Yams love consistent moisture, so be sure to keep the soil evenly moist without overdoing it. Make sure the sacks have proper drainage to prevent waterlogging. Place the sacks outside where it can access rain and sunlight.

Step 6 – Provide support: As the yam plants grow, they will need support to prevent them from sprawling. Install stakes or trellises around the sacks and gently tie the vines to encourage upward growth. As soon as it starts springing leaves, attach a stick to it, so the leaves can climb.

Remember to perforate, make holes around the bag, to avoid water logging and decay and loss of the seedlings.

Other things can be planted this way too. Such as Potatoes, corn, okro, spinach.

There is lesser disease and pest infestation with yam sack farming nonetheless, regularly check your yam plants for any signs of pests or diseases. Common yam pests may include armyworm, nematodes, aphids etc. If issues arise, address them with organic pest control methods or consult a professional if necessary.

Patience pays off! Your yam plants are usually ready for harvest 6-8 months after planting.

https://thenationonlineng.net/quick-steps-to-grow-yams-in-sacks-for-harvest-within-6-8months/
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by hansomb: 10:31am On Apr 28
Treasure17:
It's encouraging and you can try this within the compound.
Or backyard or an empty store.
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by freemanq(m): 10:32am On Apr 28
Nice one at least herbsmen won't be able to destroy the yam again
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by DeOTR: 10:34am On Apr 28
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by MetaMatrix: 11:35am On Apr 28
Fcwilly:
Easy said than done, anyway until you experience it before you can talk, don't let social media mislead you, if you don't know how to farm on land you will never make head way on this, don't be deceived.

You're wrong brother. Will work for any experience. Just seek more knowledge from YouTube and Google. Then put it into practice. It's so easy. But you'll need enough watering. That's the only thing much necessary

Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by MetaMatrix: 11:36am On Apr 28
Fcwilly:

You're wrong brother. Will work for any experience. Just seek more knowledge from YouTube and Google. Then put it into practice. It's so easy. But you'll need enough watering. That's the only thing much necessary

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Treasure17(m): 1:02pm On Apr 28
hansomb:

Or backyard or an empty store.
Not sure empty store is advisable base on what the op said. Your plant must have access to rain and sunlight.

3 Likes

Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Zeezenho: 1:49pm On Apr 28
Sucre6:

What an excuse, so u been wan marry just because of yam??
😂😂😂😂😂

You should marry because of love not because of any other thing attached, if not you will regret it afterwards

The attachments itself is the real love. Dont be naive we all love for a reason. The gently man reason for love is yam .Then yam is it ,let love and yam reign .
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Sucre6: 1:52pm On Apr 28
Zeezenho:

The attachments itself is the real love. Dont be naive we all love for a reason. The gently man reason for love is yam .Then yam is it ,let love and yam reign .

And when the yam finish nko 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by maxiart2(m): 2:27pm On Apr 28
DiamondJLove:
please must it be yam head?can we buy a big yam,cut it into twenty pieces,and plant eat piece in a sack?

Nope. Watch the video, you will see where they bought lots of yam, cut them into pieces.

1 Like

Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by justking(m): 2:47pm On Apr 28
Thanks, I have been looking for this information
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Aarenasbaba(m): 3:09pm On Apr 28
My target is 30 sacks but this is just 16 sack….. I pray it comes out fine…. My fair is just the specie of the yam I used

Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Love800(m): 4:04pm On Apr 28
I want to ask a question.

Must it be yam-head that one is going to plant? Can i buy a normal yam in the market and cut it into smaller sizes and plant?
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Zeezenho: 4:18pm On Apr 28
Sucre6:

And when the yam finish nko 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Another will be planted that's why he need expert on yams.you get The point now. Their is always a reason to love.
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Cousin9999: 4:36pm On Apr 28
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Love800(m): 5:04pm On Apr 28
One kind of soil will i fill inside the sack?
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Sucre6: 5:48pm On Apr 28
Zeezenho:

Another will be planted that's why he need expert on yams.you get The point now. Their is always a reason to love.

You are not married if you were married u will know that what u said cant be a reason to love, it will get to a point when all those things u love about her will depreciate and u will stay regretting why you married her in the first place, reason why u are adviced to marry your friend that understand you well, because where love fails, friendship becomes a substitute
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by SweetCarrot(m): 9:33pm On Apr 28
Thanks for the tips

Technicians Needed in Port Harcourt City

🛠️AC Technician
🔧Refrigerator Technician
⚙️Washing Machine Technician
🪛Electrician
👇 👇 👇 👇
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10AsSlPklmjoM-r8L4Bjhda5R7XwMv282tdkWzUYkLjY/edit
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Fcwilly: 10:31pm On Apr 28
MetaMatrix:

Have done it before? Tell me your personal experience
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by seoxpert(m): 1:54am On Apr 29
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Zeezenho: 10:36am On Apr 29
Sucre6:

You are not married if you were married u will know that what u said cant be a reason to love, it will get to a point when all those things u love about her will depreciate and u will stay regretting why you married her in the first place, reason why u are adviced to marry your friend that understand you well, because where love fails, friendship becomes a substitute

You married someone because she is your friend.fresnship is your own reason to love good for you .wby must it be reason for everyone to love.

Let me ask your a question.if I marry a girl because she is kind. Isn't kindnesses good enough reason to love? What if I marry a lady because she is a good Muslim,been a good Muslim is a good reason to love too. Can you now understanding that we all have different reasons to love.
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Sucre6: 10:53am On Apr 29
Zeezenho:

You married someone because she is your friend.fresnship is your own reason to love good for you .wby must it be reason for everyone to love.

Let me ask your a question.if I marry a girl because she is kind. Isn't kindnesses good enough reason to love? What if I marry a lady because she is a good Muslim,been a good Muslim is a good reason to love too. Can you now understanding that we all have different reasons to love.

Bookmark my quote, u will come back and tell me I was right when you eventually get married, don't worry
Re: Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months by Zeezenho: 3:19pm On Apr 29
Sucre6:

Bookmark my quote, u will come back and tell me I was right when you eventually get married, don't worry

My marriage is 15 years old

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Releases First Transgenic Crop – Cowpea Resistant To Pod Borers / How To Get Rid Of Cat Fish Fry Mortality From Day Old / Buhari Orders Reduction In Price Of Fertilizer From N5,500 To N5000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.