Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,076 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout (19869 Views)

Abdulaziz Sule Bribes Adebayo Adelabu With Lexus SUV Worth ₦290M-SaharaReporters / FG Can’t Continue To Subsidise Electricity — Power Minister, Adebayo Adelabu / Private Jet Conveying Adebayo Adelabu Crash-Lands In Ibadan, Oyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Gjrich(m): 7:50am On Apr 30
The Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu on Monday warned that there would be total blackout in the country in the next three months if the proposed electricity tariff hike is not implemented.

The minister disclosed this yesterday in Abuja when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Power at an investigative hearing over the recent electricity tariff hike by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC).

This followed the rejection of the new tariff regime by the Senate committee, led by Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe.

Adelabu said, “The entire sector will be grounded if we don’t increase the tariff. With what we have now in the next three months, the entire country will be in darkness if we don’t increase tariffs.

“The increment will catapult us to the next level. We are also Nigerians, we are also feeling the impact.”

He said the sum of $10 billion is needed yearly for the next ten years to revive the nation’s power sector and nip in the bud the challenges bedeviling it.

“For this sector to be revived, the government needs to spend nothing less than 10 billion dollars annually in the next 10 years.

“This is because of the infrastructure requirement for the stability of the sector. But the government cannot afford that. And so we must make this sector attractive to investors and to lenders.

“So, for us to attract investors and investment, we must make the sector attractive, and the only way it can be made attractive is that there must be commercial pricing.

“If the value is still at N66 and the government is not paying subsidy, the investors will not come. But now that we have increased the tariff for A Band, there are interests being shown by investors,” he said.

Adelabu said the inability of the government to pay outstanding N2.9 trillion subsidy was due to limited resources, hence the need to evolve measures to sustain the sector.

He appealed to the lawmakers to support the process of paying the debt owed operators across the value chain of generation, transmission and distribution.

But the Senate Committee on Power, led by Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, expressed concerns over the suffering of Nigerians, and asked the minister and other key players in the sector to explore other options.

Senators Simon Lalong (Plateau South) and Adamu Aliero (Kebbi Central), said consultations were not made before the tariff increase, stressing palliative would have been provided in the process.

Abaribe, who is Chairman of the Committee said, “What Nigerians wanted was a solution to the issues and ways to ensure liquidity in the sector.”

He also decried the nonappearance of a company “ZIGLAKS” over the failed agreement to provide prepaid meters for Nigerians, alleging that the company had received N32 billion in 20 years to meter Nigerian electricity consumers.

Other stakeholders who made presentations at the investigative hearing were the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (NAN), Association of Power Generation (Gencos), Electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) among others.
https://dailytrust.com/fg-to-nigerians-accept-tariff-hike-or-face-total-blackout/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Namaster: 7:51am On Apr 30
It's almost like Tinubu appointed his Ministers based on their ability to INFLICT pain on Nigerians.

Some years ago, the government decided that the best way to "revive" the power sector is by selling off Discos to private investors.

We can all see the results of that.

This guy is saying NONSENSE and he knows it.

What's the meaning of "we are all Nigerians and we feel the impact?

He's a Minister in Nigeria. Allocations to the Ministry is his own personal slush fund. Yet he's pretending to share the plights of Nigerians who make #30,000 per month.

Funny man.

266 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by immortalcrown(m): 7:51am On Apr 30
That's a shettimanic order from the fake bishops of the Agbado diocese. This is where the privatisation of electricity distribution has landed Nigeria. Private refineries will be like this.

It is so abnormal that their keyboard warriors see nothing wrong with the administration. They will rather raise one topic about Obi than to complain about their paymasters.

110 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by ClearFlair: 7:52am On Apr 30
APC

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Typicool8(m): 7:53am On Apr 30
Nigeria is facing a multitude of challenges, including extended power outages, soaring fuel prices, and widespread insecurity. It's troubling that citizens seem to have become desensitized to these issues which can embolden ineffective leadership. Meanwhile, youths are more interested in social media fights than demanding meaningful change.
Let's continue paying deaf ears and pretend all is well.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Moroccoguy: 7:55am On Apr 30
Still dey hustle my comment on this🎸🎸🎸

Man u and your master didn't understand the job, kindly do the needful Nigerians will thanks you if you can honourably resign or step aside the same to your master. Peculiar mess is part of your family name, Penkelemesi.

2 Likes

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by vegatron: 7:56am On Apr 30
I think kicking out the British was a big mistake, Nigeria is ran by fools.

140 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Ance4Liverpool: 8:11am On Apr 30
Oga we are used to blackout soo do ur worst

47 Likes

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by SalamRushdie: 8:12am On Apr 30
I don't understand , the new Tarriff i am paying what is it ? Tinubu better remove this incompetent man from power now and hand over to Barth Nnaji

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Floky215: 8:35am On Apr 30
This minister is obviously a mumu and an idiot...!!
He thinks Nigerians are yoruba people he can just threaten any how.!!

The other day it was airconditioner, now it's threat of accept or die..!
The boy obviously got no single sense and talk any how like a retardd...!!

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Treadway: 8:41am On Apr 30
One mummy was telling me on Sunday how she fears what will happen to Oyo state after Seyi Makinde exits.

Now I understand her fear. Shey we fit see person wey get sense and empathy like that again true true. This balablu idiot was on on the ballot in 2019. Thank God he was roundly rejected!

75 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Macphenson: 8:45am On Apr 30
Really. Agbadorians always claims Tinubu is very good at scouting talents. I guess this confused emptty minister is one of them.

His utterances back to back has proven he is an empty skull.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by suckmedownthere(f): 9:00am On Apr 30
When a person is outrightly stupid and his parents are rich enough to give him the best education and they are surrounded by very wealthy friends and family he can be helped to become a minister or governor because of his father and grandparents connection, all of them knows he is outrightly stupid and failed all his subjects and courses in school but they can buy his way through all that and give him a very well paid job not knowing HE IS BORN A FOOL AND WILL DIE A FOOL....FOR A FOOL HE IS AND CONTINUE TO BE..

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Houseontherock1: 9:04am On Apr 30
I guess the more horrible, careless and insensitive you are, the more appointable you become in Nigeria...it takes some level of wickedness for one to be appointable around here undecided

54 Likes

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Fatbam005: 9:07am On Apr 30
What else again just like the isrealites under the captive of pharaoh. But one day we shall be free

8 Likes

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by LagosFirstSon: 9:12am On Apr 30
The fools Nigerians voted

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by DoOrDie2020: 9:30am On Apr 30
This is what I have been saying.

Electricity is too affordable in NIgeria. There is need to get better services and we must be ready to pay for it.

Tinubu should also increase the price of fuel to N3,500 per litre to reflect the global standard.

Also, Nigerians should know that there is no vacancy in Aso Rock from 2027-2031 (Sai Tinubu)

Ganduje is to continue from 2031-2039.

We deserve this leadership. carry on Mr. President, your ministers are doing well.

We are solidly behind President BAT, on his mandate we shall stand.

#UnaNevaSiEhNiTin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Racoon(m): 9:30am On Apr 30
As if the recurrent blackout with epileptic collapse of the national grid started today in Nigeria. Same people that said "to provide 24 hours electricity is not rocket science."? Grossly incompetent people piloting the affairs of a nation.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by IBBG(m): 9:31am On Apr 30
One of the most useless ministers in this govt

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by chaddy16: 9:31am On Apr 30
To be honest, Nigeria's challenge lies not with its leaders but with its people. Nigerians tend to be self-centered, which contributes to our backwardness. Even if the best person were made president, it's unlikely they could effectively oversee all the corrupt ministries and agencies

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by oyeb15: 9:31am On Apr 30
Mad man. His village people have upgrade to 5G network to ruin his political career.

Nigeria is bigger than anybody or any group of people.

The people will always have d last laugh.

9 Likes

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Watianoengineer(m): 9:31am On Apr 30
cool
Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Akwamkpuruamu: 9:31am On Apr 30
This one de threaten Nigerians. Minister of Darkness like Fashola

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Bobloco: 9:31am On Apr 30
They're now threatening Nigerians

This is what you get when you have a notorious narcotics drug trafficker engaging in criminal state capture as president

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by ekanDamie: 9:31am On Apr 30
But he's not lying, this country is broke, there's not enough fir them to steal and also use to deceive us. They can't borrow either, for years we have borrowed for meaningful projects but never brought them to fruition. We now out of options, it's either u the masses pay for the difference or you still suffer the absence of it.
There really is no hope.
If not for all these BS, abroad Is not worth it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Racoon(m): 9:31am On Apr 30
Meanwhile hear the same clueless and Incompetent fella talking here

https://www.nairaland.com/8073610/cartels-saboteurs-frustrating-efforts-stabilise nlfpmod

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by osuofia2(m): 9:31am On Apr 30
grin grin grin grin
This guy na one of the PBAT worst Minister.
Imagine the audacity

14 Likes

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Gbadugbakun(m): 9:31am On Apr 30
The audacity of this man is what I don't understand. angry

6 Likes

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Obviouslyblunt: 9:32am On Apr 30
Please remove this guy as the minister and power President. Please he doesn’t know what to do there.

8 Likes

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by BrainBox4N(m): 9:32am On Apr 30
It's disheartening to see the government prioritizing attracting investors over the well-being of its citizens. Are they forgetting their empathy once they gain power? I had predicted that after the Band A tariff hike, other tariffs would follow suit by the year's end. It's a shame that the focus seems to be on pleasing investors rather than easing the burden on ordinary Nigerians.

"In today's digital age, if you're not online, you're practically invisible." - Chris Brogan, Marketing Author

Ready to make your business visible online? Let Cognitio Technology Solutions build your website and unlock your online potential! Contact us today to get started.

4 Likes

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by Focusmind: 9:33am On Apr 30
I have lost faith in the Nigerian power sector tey tey! The reason I don't bother with all the trash successive governments have been talking. Imagine the statement: It would take at least $10bn annually for 10 years to improve power supply in Nigeria. What does that tell you? No hope! If you are a middle class or earning a descent income, just get your self an alternative power supply in form of Inverter and solar. I did and I never regretted. I run 20 hours on solar everyday and switch to NEPA late in the night because of no sun. By early morning , max 7am, the sun is out and I am back to solar. I use nepa when I want to enjoy AC. Otherwise, I am always on solar. It surprises me to see modern beautiful houses still running on diesel generator instead of flooding their roof tops and car shades with solar panels that could power the house with clean energy. Nigerian power sector is gone!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adebayo Adelabu: Accept Electricity Tariff Hike Or Face Total Blackout by TosineGuy(m): 9:33am On Apr 30
grin I'm so used to blackout that I don't subscribe on my DSTV. I only on my generator when my girlfriend visits me or to charge my phone. But due to the recent petrol scarcity, I charge my power bank and phone at a Charging center. I'm even thinking of selling my TV

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tinubu Pays Condolence Visit To The Families Of Late Hon. Olawale In Mushin / Nigeria Set To Lose $466m In Military Scam / Atiku, Okorocha, Oyegun And Others Arrives Makurdi For Tor Tiv Coronation (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.