Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,357 members, 7,836,462 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European (26586 Views)

The Highest And Most Polished Culture On Earth Is Yoruba Culture - Reno Omokri / Igwe John Umenyiora Is Dead / Nigerians In Ireland Celebrate Yoruba Culture With Colourful Fabrics (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by BeanmanX(m): 9:30pm On Apr 30
Beautiful place
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by chopnaira: 9:30pm On Apr 30
Sctests:

Even the name 'Yoruba' is not of yoruba origin and etiology. It is corruption of the word 'Bayerabe', used to describe the yoruba people.
The word 'yoruba' is not found anywhere in original yoruba lexicology.

Yorubas should do better to drop the 'hausa baptismal' name given to them and rename themselves. 'Odoua" sounds better and original.
Just like "Igbo" is of igala origin.

igbos should drop the name given to them by the igala

9 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by AyakaDunukofia: 9:31pm On Apr 30
Procashtips:
A slave name for a cultural heritage?

Non-European but named John Randle? grin

John Randle ---- Yoruba Culture and heritage?

grin

A good initiative with the wrongest of all names ever!

Similar names that were openly derided before the world as pseudo Yorubas. Just less than 12 months ago. Black Africans really need to de-emphasize on political pettiness.
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by UncleAyo: 9:31pm On Apr 30
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Doylestown92(m): 9:31pm On Apr 30
John Randle was a Yoruba man from Oyo. You guys should stop making false guesses.

8 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Sctests: 9:32pm On Apr 30
chopnaira:

Just like "Igbo" is of igala origin.

Igbo is of Igbo origin. That why you see names like Igbokwe, Igboebuka, Okadigbo, Igboeze, etc.

It is unfornate yorubas cannot find the word yoruba in their original lexicons and names of people and town.
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by chopnaira: 9:32pm On Apr 30
Doylestown92:
John Randle was a Yoruba man from Oyo. You guys should stop making false guesses.
Bishop Ajayi Crowther was from Oyo too.

5 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Procashtips(m): 9:32pm On Apr 30
AyakaDunukofia:

Similar names that were openly derided before the world as pseudo Yorubas. Just less than 12 months ago. Black Africans really need to de-emphasize on political pettiness.

embarassed
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by chopnaira: 9:32pm On Apr 30
Sctests:

Igbo is of Igbo origin. That why you see names like Igbokwe, Igboebuka, Okadigbo, Igboeze, etc.
Lol. Igbo in Igbokwe and Igbo in okadigbo have different meanings.

I tell you it's of Igala origin and I have proof to back it up.

4 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Procashtips(m): 9:33pm On Apr 30
Sctests:

Even the name 'Yoruba' is not of yoruba origin and etiology. It is corruption of the word 'Bayerabe', used to describe the yoruba people.
The word 'yoruba' is not found anywhere in original yoruba lexicology.

Yorubas should do better to drop the 'hausa baptismal' name given to them and rename themselves. 'Odoua" sounds better and original.

I know that Yoruba was a recent identity given by outsiders, Oodua is more appropriate.

3 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Procashtips(m): 9:34pm On Apr 30
anonimi:

God bless you sir.
We lack deep thinkers in government.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Sctests: 9:34pm On Apr 30
chopnaira:

Lol.

I tell you it's of Igala origin and I have proof to back it up.

It is not, show your 'oluwole' proof. Igbo is a rooted and indigenous name of Ndigbo. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Procashtips(m): 9:34pm On Apr 30
Dreamhighnow:

Maybe na the guy invest him money into the project

No, Lagos state government built it.

1 Like

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by mikmash(m): 9:35pm On Apr 30
Places dey to visit for this country abeg. Lord, if you seal this,I'm taking a trip to this place soon.
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Sctests: 9:35pm On Apr 30
Procashtips:

I know that Yoruba was a recent identity given by outsiders, Oodua is more appropriate.

Chopnaira should learn fact. The word 'yoruba' is less than 300 years old. Even my village is far older than that.
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by chopnaira: 9:35pm On Apr 30
Sctests:

It is not, show your 'oluwole' proof. Igbo is a rooted and indigenous name of Ndigbo. grin
First 3 Written by Igbo authors and last screen shot by colonial/Igbo translators authors.

3 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Procashtips(m): 9:37pm On Apr 30
Benwallt:

You didn't the part that says John Randle was a Siera loenian who unconsciously laid the foundation of what you have there today by building a swimming pool that saved many lagosians from drowning.

Yorubas appreciate with posthumous reference not bending history with slide tackle or scissors kick

I don't care what he was. We are talking culture here. You want to represent a cultural heritage, you decided to name it after someone with a slave name. Isn't that ironic and conflicting?

He could still have been appreciated without using such an offensive name for a cultural heritage of a people claimed to be the second largest ethnic groups in Nigeria.
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by chopnaira: 9:38pm On Apr 30
Sctests:

Chopnaira should learn fact. The word 'yoruba' is less than 300 years old. Even my village is far older than that.
I never disputed that the origin of the Yoruba name being from Hausa and have proof that back that up too. See screenshot below grin

Unlike you, I don't lie to myself. It is what it is grin

2 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Procashtips(m): 9:39pm On Apr 30
Sctests:

Unfortunately, "Oodua" as an identity is even more recent than the word "Yoruba"

Less than 200 years ago, they all answered their father's names. Maybe this is why they rather stick to Yoruba identity given to them by outsiders than create an original identity like Oodua.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by chopnaira: 9:40pm On Apr 30
Procashtips:

It's like changing the name of Toyota to something else. It would be difficult changing names of books, articles, events and many things with the Yoruba tag.

1 Like

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by chopnaira: 9:40pm On Apr 30
Procashtips:

Unfortunately, "Oodua" as an identity is even more recent than the word "Yoruba"

Less than 200 years ago, they all answered their father's names. Maybe this is why they rather stick to Yoruba identity given to them by outsiders than create an original identity like Oodua.
We answered our sub ethnic group e.g. Egba, ife, Oyo, Ekiti, Ijebu, Ijesha e.t.c but we knew we were all Omo ka ro ojire, olukunmi, Omoluabi, akuu people, Anago e.t.c. when it comes to unifying ourselves.

Ibadan (a military fort with warriors from all parts of present day Yoruba land) is an example of such unity , before the kiriji war power tussle.

3 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Benwallt(m): 9:45pm On Apr 30
Procashtips:

I don't care what he was. We are talking culture here. You want to represent a cultural heritage, you decided to name it after someone with a slave name. Isn't that ironic and conflicting?

He could still have been appreciated without using such an offensive name for a cultural heritage of a people claimed to be the second largest ethnic groups in Nigeria.

Any stream that forgets his origin dries up.

Slave name? Is slave not human being? Slaves get class.

I believe you have English name. Does that make you a slave? In trying to rewrite the present we must not forget history. The story will be told better with that name

2 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Sctests: 9:45pm On Apr 30
chopnaira:

Written by Igbo authors and colonial authors.

Very good.

The author used the phrase 'Might have its root..'. I am a PhD and I know that in scholarly works the word 'might' is conditional and show lack of authority, leaving a big lacuna for doubts on his submission.

Since Igbo is far older than Igala as evidenced by Size, geolocation, and population. I daresay the word 'Onigbo' (if it ever existed) was borrowed from the Igbo, as that was what the Igbos called themselves. People will call you what you call yourself.. grin

I am not very hopeful you will get the valid points, but this piece I have penned will be beneficial to other innocent readers that you tried to mislead. grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by mikywonder(m): 9:45pm On Apr 30
Sannisege:
This kind thing no dey Anambra o

Dey play
Have u been/seen Nnewi museum that was opened last month??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by chopnaira: 9:46pm On Apr 30
Sctests:

Very good.

The author used the phrase 'Might have its root..'. I am a PhD and I know that in scholarly works the word 'might' is conditional and show lack of authority, leaving a big lacuna for doubts on his submission.

Since Igbo is far older than Igala as evidenced by Size, geolocation, and population. I daresay the word 'Onigbo' (if it ever existed) was borrowed from the Igbo, as that was what the Igbos called themselves. People will call you what you call yourself.. grin

I am not very hopeful you will get the valid points, but this piece I have penned will be beneficial to other innocent readers that you tried to mislead. grin
That's the only origin they could trace the word back to. The dictionary was even more specific about the meaning of the word. Less than 200 years ago, Igbo Igbon Onigbo e.t.c basically means slave and was derived from the Igala word for that. You can dance around it as much as you like, It doesn't change any fact.

4 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by EmmyDJourno: 9:49pm On Apr 30
John Randle Center for Yoruba Culture
Something is wrong with that name oO, Ndi Yoruba una pikin dey answer John Randle🤣
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by chopnaira: 9:50pm On Apr 30
EmmyDJourno:
John Randle Center for Yoruba Culture
Something is wrong with that name oO, Ndi Yoruba una pikin dey answer John Randle🤣
Don't Ijaw answer English name. Even Crowther was an English name and it did not make him less of a Yoruba.

I am sure you were one of those that rooted for GRV. Is Rhodes -Vivour a Yoruba name?

2 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by theredaddy: 9:52pm On Apr 30
Olachase:
I agree with you
They're three State that's still keeping the Yoruba race strong
1, ONDO
2, OSUN
3, EKITI
Those guy's are ready to die for the culture, I cut cap for them 🫡🫡

where history count, there is no yoruba race without oyo empire in the picture

A ji se bi OYO la rii OYO ko se bi baba e nii kankan .. ask elders for translation
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Procashtips(m): 9:53pm On Apr 30
Benwallt:

Any stream that forgets his origin dries up.

Slave name? Is slave not human being? Slaves get class.

I believe you have English name. Does that make you a slave? In trying to rewrite the present we must not forget history. The story will be told better with that name

No i don't have any foreign name

His name is purely a slave name, if not, both won't be foreign.
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Procashtips(m): 9:56pm On Apr 30
chopnaira:

It's like changing the name of Toyota to something else. It would be difficult changing names of books, articles, events and many things with the Yoruba tag.

True
Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Benwallt(m): 9:59pm On Apr 30
Sctests:

It is unfornate yorubas cannot find the word yoruba in their original lexicons and names of people and town.

You're dysfunctional.

So, there should be hausakwankwoso, urhobogene, isokowede, ibomakpabio, calabakaete etc.

You sound very very lame

3 Likes

Re: John Randle Centre For Yoruba Culture: Noisy And Unapologetically Non-European by Olachase(m): 10:01pm On Apr 30
theredaddy:

where history count, there is no yoruba race without oyo empire in the picture

A ji se bi OYO la rii OYO ko se bi baba e nii kankan .. ask elders for translation
oyo? that was then not now again, Ibadan is only good when it comes to balogun

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Highest And Most Polished Culture On Earth Is Yoruba Culture - Reno Omokri / Ooni Ogunwusi: Igbos Are From Ile-Ife - Ohanaeze Kicks / 3 Female Osun Followers Solicit For Alms, Dressed In White (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.