Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance (2977 Views)

Maintanance Dos N Donts For AUDI A4 / 2005 To 2010 Used Car Best / Bmw/audi And Nissan Which Is Better And Maintanance Friendly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 22, 2011
Please i would like to know which of the American cars best suits Naija considering availability of spare part in case there need be which would definitely be needed. Ford and Chevrolet of General motors seems to be getting common these days, does it mean that its now wiser to buy a ford instead of the default Toyoto, Nissan, or Mazda,
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 22, 2011
I can see that no 1 gives a Bleep bout this thread undecided
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by Fhemmmy: 2:24pm On Nov 22, 2011
I honestly think any ride could best suits the road, depending on your pocket and maybe if you have connection out of the country too that would be helping you to get the parts.

With that being said, i have heard that FORD has made a name in Nigeria and in some of the movies that i watch, i see lots of it in Nigeria.
What you need to be concerned about is the mechanical know how of our mechanics but once you have the money to take care of it, then, go ahead and make something happen for yourself.

I will assume that with all the Ford i see in the movies, there would be parts for them, and if there is none, try and get some connections out of Nigeria to be able to take care of that area for you.

But if you are not with deep pocket and no connection on how to get the parts, I will advice you stay off them and go with what you can easily maintain.

Good luck
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by Nobody: 8:55am On Nov 23, 2011
Hahahaha so if i don't have the money to import the spare, i should just forget about getting 1, wow!!!
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by Ikenna351(m): 10:43am On Nov 23, 2011
If Iam to buy purchase an American car tomorrow, that would be Ford. Am even considering it in my next purchase.

Ikenna.
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by 2kass(m): 10:58am On Nov 23, 2011
I think that Ford is actually settling well in Nigeria, A lot of people are beginning to use it. But what about the availability of the spare parts? And yeah like the OP mentioned, companies are now beginning to switch their official cars preference from Toyota to GM(General Motors products) Like the Chevrolet's
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by Nicols(m): 10:14pm On Nov 23, 2011
Considering availability of parts and simplicity of engine, if I were to go with a Ford product, i will go for Ford Focus.
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by sultaan(m): 12:09am On Nov 24, 2011
Depends on your needs.

Americans cars/brands have more gadgets than Asian. Bigger engines might get more power less fuel economy.

A 2.0l Ford Focus might not win against a 1.7l Corolla, but you get a bigger car for a lot less and parts at half price.

Focus works well as good American car to push around. For highway, Impala/GM with the 3800 series engine is king.

The 2.7l chrysler engine has no love because of sludge problems(toyota camry has sludge too).

Mazda3, a clone of Focus is the hottest compact because it has more style.

Among the current models, Chevy Cruze is the best looking with great fuel economy, Ford Focus is 2 with good interior, Civic and Corolla are still ugly not different fro 8 years ago.

I drive a Fusion, and I will take a Taurus, Explorer,Grand Cherokee, Edge, Enclave, G8 over and Japanese car/SUV in the market.
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by icemann(m): 5:24am On Nov 24, 2011
I do not agree with you Sultaan

You may think the Corolla and civic are ugly but the out perform the American Junks (especially the Chrysler cars)

JD power gave the Tundra the best pick up for the past 6 years , And yes over The F150
Consumer reports Highly rates the Honda and Toyota Cars
IIHS Gave the Camry highest rating for all crash test
I have see accords wit over 220K miles with the first tranny and engine it was assembled with

I am not saying the Japs cars are the best, but they are in the game and are big contenders for the number one spot.
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by sultaan(m): 7:35pm On Nov 24, 2011
I thought the general opinion is that they are undisputed #1.

I'm just saying based on budget and desire, American brands are a viable option to consider for Nigerian roads.

Most people buy cars for parts and level of knowledge required to own such(I was thinking ignorance), but most parts are built to specification.

Vendors make parts for manufacturers, and aftermarket take care of buyers.

If Camry is assembled in Japan,Us and Australia, each plant will have a local supplier for some parts(local content),local supplier(s) for the market.

For service parts to be cheaper and available parts are made to be used in several brands and models you just have to know the part #
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by icemann(m): 10:26pm On Nov 24, 2011
The general opinion is that Mercedes Benz makes the best cars in the world

From my parts buying experience in Naija, Most new parts come from china and the used ones are gotten from the junk yards of US and Europe.
With the exchange rate and cost of living in Naija, its expensive to buy a new car part from the US. That makes it expensive to maintain

Also the Naija trial and error mechanics are not experienced in American Cars (You dont want them screwing with your car)

Its safe to buy a Japanese car in Nigeria, but if You really want an American car like the poster asked, i would say a Ford (From most reviews and rating agencies).
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by PAQ(m): 1:17am On Dec 19, 2011
@sultan, u said u drive a ford fusion. I am thinking of getting one too n I reside in abuja. What's bin holding me back is d fact dat Its not common, But I rides well n looks cool., I am a little bit scared of d cars reliability n maintenance cost in nigeria. Although online reviews are great, I still hav my doubts due to d nigerian factors,

Pls what r ur experiences wit ur fusion, maintenance cost, are parts available? Whatever u can say to help me make up my mind on if 2 buy or not will b appreciated, a lot.

Its a 2006 model fusion.
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by sultaan(m): 3:26am On Dec 19, 2011
Its been great, I have 43000 miles on it now, a V6 getting avg~25mpg, all I have done in the last 2 years is change oil every 6000 miles and rotate tires.

If you get a 2006, you have to decide if the 4cyl or 6cyl meets your need, and its one of the few American midsize available with manual transmission.

You won't have to worry about you car getting the wrong attention.
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by PAQ(m): 7:39am On Dec 19, 2011
I appresiate ur response SULTAAN. I'll b going for the 6cl SEL, I dnt hav d luxury of choice else I would have chosen d manual. I love manual tranny. Everything seems allright ind ride xept dat its top speed is 180 km/hr, for a V6!!

U didn't say much in terms of parts n maintenance cost in naija,
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by sultaan(m): 6:19pm On Dec 24, 2011
SEL is top of line loaded, you will get a good value for money.

I'm not sure how you are planning to get the car into naija, but the oil used in most 2005+ cars is not available in naija 5W20.
Ford uses a synthetic blend or full synthetic. That is far from Visco 2000 20W50 in the market

Unless you break something you don't really need parts on those cars for a while.
I have gone 2 full years with only oil& filter change and air filter.If you ship 5-5qt oil and oil filter, you'll have enough to last over 2 years at cost of $150 max.

Be ready to buy and ship original  parts from US as needed to they are cheaper from US

FYI, the Fusion is built in Mexico, Camry in Kentucky, Sonata in Alabama, and Accord in Ohio. So which is the American car?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0512_family_sedan_comparison/viewall.html
Re: Which American Car Best Suits Niaja: Considering Maintanance by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jan 20, 2013
^^^ Hey, Mr Spammer! Go post your shite elsewhere, you've posted this same ADVERT just about everywhere! angry

(1) (Reply)

How To Calculate Customs Duty Charge In Nigeria. / Would You Buy This Mansion On Wheels With A Garage For £1million? / Honda Accord (eod) 2003 Rpm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.