Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,427 members, 7,853,856 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 06:24 AM

Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? (2508 Views)

Mercedes Benz W124 Popularly Known As 'V-Boot' Is 35 Years Old (Photos) / See What Happens When The Boot Of A Car Becomes Inadequate (PHOTOS) / V- Boot For Sale ...urgent Buyer Only ,call - 08095476906 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 4:32pm On May 17
Dronedude:

Hope you now use flight.

cheesy In those days only when unavoidable but these years video call and bandits has stopped me from traveling since people are not easily travelling today.

But, i miss the express

2 Likes

Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by MichaelSokoto(m): 4:57pm On May 17
rtdCivilservant:

Oga stop lying, never a time when any car made Lagos-Benin in 2 hours.
retro-fitted Benin airways customized cars made it in super fast lesser time!

who goes u?
abi wetin goes u?
grin
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 4:58pm On May 17
laivwire:

I am only familiar with the Peugeot 504 and 505 evolution era where Ibadan to Lagos was done in 1 hour. I also remember how the V-boot bounce was popular back then. Volvos were known for the unique loud engine noise and the Datsun was a popular Ibadan taxi (Brown and yellow).

Of course, the luxurious buses were always on top speed and flash you to shift lanes when coming.

To add after reading some comments:
People tend to estimate the travel time not from their houses but from when they see "Goodbye to Lagos" or "Welcome to Ibadan" sign post.

I also forgot to include the freakish J5 accidents back then.

Travel time! Thats True. I remember that when we started count from the house, it is always spoilt when our parents or driver turned into a petrol station to buy fuel whereas we thought the journey had started. So some people started counting from lagos toll gate (goodbye to lagos)

And yes, the consensus was tbat Lagos,Ibadan was 1 hour but many people too say that they did it in 45minutes (my neighbour and his Datsun Laurel)

For luxurious bus i am sure you are thinking Volvo's Maecopolo and Mercedes Scania,. These ones came in around 1999. The available ones were either these ones
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/mercedes-benz-old-bus or Federal Mass Transit (Anamco Mercedes bus 1414)

And yss, J5 munched people especially in the North.
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 5:07pm On May 17
ElevationD:

It was never possible to travel from Lagos to Benin in two hours with such regular cars on the bad roads. Even with lesser “highway patrol” officers, no one could drive that super fast.

You’d first get to Shagamu which too twenty minutes on the two lane road. Next to Ijebu ode in 30 minutes. Next to Ore in one hour. Next to Okada in 30 minutes and the last leg into Benin city in 20 minutes. With fast cars and speed living drivers, it was a minimum of 3 hours and half. Do not forget that bad roads, especially at Ogun state end, have been there for over forty years.

It was much more pleasurable travelling on that road, when there were no herdsmen. You could drive happily at night, except for armed robbers too. Those were the military days and early days of the OBJ government. The rest is history, as politicians used that road to amass wealth with endless contracts.

You obviously have not travelled in a benz before else you would know that portholes is part of the road and the car does not feel or notice it.

Do you know that Ore to Bypass (Benin) is shy of 1 hour if you do not mind the fuel?

1 Like

Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 5:12pm On May 17
brain54:

I think 2hrs and a few minutes on top is highly possible...

The last time I did that route from berger in Lagos to warri,it took the driver 4hrs and 20 minutes. Although it was those hummer busses and we traveled at night with the road being very free. I don't know how fast he was driving because I didn't check the speed gauge. But we arrived in that time when I calculated.

I usually estimate that benin takes half of the journey. Plus or minus.

2 hrs and a few minutes is okay very normal. 2hrs on the dot wouldn't shock me for a very fast driver.

All things being equal with a good car and clear road o!

Wow 4 hours? The driver did non stop then?
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by brain54(m): 5:24pm On May 17
StillDtruth:

Wow 4 hours? The driver did non stop then?
Yeah...

We left few minutes past 6pm from berger. I got to warri few minutes past 10pm.

I remember because I went straight to my girlfriend's place at airport road. Before going home that night!
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 5:25pm On May 17
Rexymania:
With all the bad roads in those days, I don't think what you are saying now where possible. Na Jonathan fix the road

They used to patch the road before Uncle Jo relayared it. And that patch gave it a very sweet sound when speeding over it, gbush, grrrrrr, .gbush, gbi, grin. And that music starts from immediately after Sagamu to Benin. (And it is still there today)

Thats what makes me remember this road amd my many experiences on it. And this is where we say benz na benz.

I bet you, you did not notice that that road is hilly and most cars lose speed going uphill, till today, even our dearly beloved Camry (though it is not like 504 ooh.) But in a Benz you will almost not know the difference between a plain and hill.

1 Like

Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 5:30pm On May 17
brain54:

Yeah...

Wow! I would have love to.say i would do my own but for me travel includes stopping and buy buy and i like having at least half tank whenever i enter my destination, so i wont be pursuing this record.
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 5:57pm On May 17
dgitrader:
It was very fast then, but anything less than 3hrs is a bit an exaggeration. I did the trip countless times with my dad in the late 80s on Passat and later 505. There were several active toll-gates and even Mobile police checkpoints.
More over travelling was great joy then, who did that in a mad haste? With all the several fruits, palmy and bushmeat stops littered along ore? Except you were a 505 ambulance

Yeah 3 toll gates then (Ijebu ode, Ore and Benin) but there was no back up in paying the toll and to me in 10 seconds payment is made.

My uncle's Jetta did it in 3 hours. But My friends Santana did it in 2 also. Driver came from Lagos to pick him from school saw him approaching Benin toll gate while we were leaving. You wouldnt believe the driver caught my Hiace in Ijebu Ode toll gate and we both entered the toll booth at the same time And in seconds as my Hiace was lurching forward, Uncle Santana showed what take off looks like and secomds later it disapeared from sight. grin.

(Oga Ivory Bank driver, i.hail o. I follow your footstep small.)

Check points then were not many i.think they were 3 tben and they only stopped Benz 200. (flat boot) because that was 419ers cars, which is another reason why it did not make the record. But all others just come to a roll and they do not need to stand still before police wave them on to go. But if it was benz 200, you must be stopped and parked.

And eh, do you remember the Land Cruiser highway patrol? grin i remember one benz took off, and the policemen jumped into the land cruiser in pursuit and we did not see the 2 of them again till some many minutes later. I wonder if the cruiser would.have caught the benz, (don't think so) but because the police would radio the other checkpoint is why i think the benz guy had to stop.

2 Likes

Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 5:59pm On May 17
Skii:
When roads were good, no check points and toll gates were still in existence...Lagos to ibadan, toll gate to toll gate, Datsun Bluebird with an average speed of 120km/h - 140km/h...55mins!

Oh Bluebird grin is it not Nissan Bluebird? Liked the car and loved the name.

Just checked it, Datsun too had a bluebird.
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 6:12pm On May 17
samwash:
You can't make Benin to Lagos in 2hrs by road, from Benin bypass to Ore is 1hr already at most 45-50 mins if you are super fast.
@Op, even the years you mentioned, the roads where not good then, how come you made that journey in 2hrs.
Even now when the road is a bit better between Edo & Ondo axis, but the police & others forces road block you go jam go even frustrate your journey.

When you say bypass, you have missed it. The road only peeled, it did not have craters. And you cannot imagine that that road did not have checkpoints.

And you have obviously not driven a benz to see that, that car is truly a beautiful speeding beast that unless the road s like Badagry Seme, portholes do not affect it.

1 Like

Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 6:15pm On May 17
OgaTheTop2:
Ogbeni, did you ever drive 2hrs Lagos-Benin?

Yes or No?

Abeg dey tell lies small small na angry

Jealousy! grin

Go drive benz, run Benin Ore come tell us how much time you chop.
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by brain54(m): 6:18pm On May 17
StillDtruth:

Wow! I would have love to.say i would do my own but for me travel includes stopping and buy buy and i like having at least half tank whenever i enter my destination, so i wont be pursuing this record.
You seem to be passionate about cars...

Driving and such adventures.

That's good.

I like driving too and can say it's an hobby more like.

I used to clock 1hr 30mins driving from Abuja to Jos. If you are familiar with that route you will understand how difficult that will be because of the hilly terrain... Especially from Abuja to Jos and also the many bends and corners on the stretch. Used to see a lot of opel vectra on their backs on most of those bend... It's a dangerous route to drive too fast. But that didn't deter me. I loved speed.

Speed used to give me a kind of thrill... A certain kinda adrenaline rush. It was like a drug.

I don't drive that fast anymore... Basically because I try to be a more responsible adult. Besides reflexes might not be as sharp as when I was 20/21.

But I still enjoy driving and the many adventures that comes with it.

One thing about driving is that it depends on the car you're driving... You may be doing 160km/h on some cars and it will feel like 100km/h until you check your speed on the meter!

1 Like

Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 6:46pm On May 17
brain54:

You seem to be passionate about cars...

Driving and such adventures.

That's good.

I like driving too and can say it's an hobby more like.

I used to clock 1hr 30mins driving from Abuja to Jos. If you are familiar with that route you will understand how difficult that will be because of the hilly terrain... Especially from Abuja to Jos and also the many bends and corners on the stretch. Used to see a lot of opel vectra on their backs on most of those bend... It's a dangerous route to drive too fast. But that didn't deter me. I loved speed.

I don't drive that fast anymore... Basically because I try to be a more responsible adult. Besides reflexes might not be as sharp as when I was 20/21.

But I still enjoy driving and the many adventures that comes with it.

One thing about driving is that it depends on the car you're driving... You may be doing 160km/h on some cars and it will feel like 100km/h until you check your speed on the meter!

Oh sure. In those days like movies, i was tracking the latest cars through Ebony magazine and CNN when cars and movies used to come out one by one every 4 or 6months.

That's one route i was looking forward to run but nothing has taken me there.

Speed was a thing for me since i.travelled alot growing up. But now my travel reasons dwindled and now everything looks new and fresh and exciting so no more speed.

Unlike those days, i knew every bend, jump road and bridge, pothole, and i could almost drive with my eyes closed from Benin to Lagos and from Lagos to Abuja/kaduna and Lagos to Ikom.

But its 3 years since i travelled by road interstate and i'm missing the expressway.

And ah 160kph does not feel.like 100phh ooh. No way. The stopping will tell you. It feels like it takes 2 minutes,to come to comtrollable speed from 160kph.

You just reminded me that the i ran 180 kph on that same Benin Lagos and i ate 2 hills of continous safe braking to drop to less than 80kph. That was when i decided not to run 180kph again.

Even the 160 i.do is very tentative, but i am more comfortable with 140/150
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 7:01pm On May 17
Beverlyjean:

Taking risks that could have ended ur life...that was reckless

All Praises to God that He blessed my waka and journeyings

1 Like

Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 7:16pm On May 17
TheGreatIYANU:

Take it easy sir.

Lagos to Benin is 318km. What you are saying right now is, you drove NON-STOP from Lagos to Benin at exactly 160KM/H!!! And did not stop for anything!

You did not stop to pee, did not dodge any pothole, did not stop for gas, did not stop to buy rice and suya at Ore

You drove a high powered vehicle that does 0-60 in 3 seconds and immediately you put the gear in Drive (or 1), you were on 160KM/H, straight from your house to Benin!

Haba bros!

You did not pass through any streets in Lagos... your house is directly on Otedola bridge or after Mowe... there was Zero Police presence... for two hours straight at 160KM/H!

lol! This weekend go long.

Not me driving but a driver's driving.

Mowe, Redeem camp and all the things you know today did not exist. And i said from Mile 2.and mile 2 to Benin is an expressway not a street.

And no buy buy or pee break just vrooo all the way.
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by ElevationD: 8:48pm On May 17
StillDtruth:

You obviously have not travelled in a benz before else you would know that portholes is part of the road and the car does not feel or notice it.

Do you know that Ore to Bypass (Benin) is shy of 1 hour if you do not mind the fuel?

Hahahahahahahaha. I laugh at you. When did you start travelling on that road? I can tell you about that road since the 1970s.
Added to that, I have owned Mercedes cars twice.
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by Siberia01(m): 10:09am On May 18
grin
Lol the 504 was never a fast car...
And the engine was too loud
All the same the suspensions were top notch
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by KillahPriest: 7:50pm On May 18
The most interesting thread here in a very long time. That nuisance lecturer really messed up car talk section with his mental illness cool
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by justiniyke29: 12:06am On May 21
This brings back memories, i remember my dad driving us every holiday from lagos to owerri then in flat boot, then later benz 300e (V boot).
I still remember the wey the shocks sound "gbim gbim", when you fly pot holes at high speed.
RIP dad

2 Likes

Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by chukel(m): 7:39am On May 21
This thread is filled with people born from the late 90s. A pity they never experienced what good and free roads are like
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by F117nighthawk: 8:29pm On May 21
Santana made Lagos to Benin in 2.5hrs
505 3 hrs
504 3 and half to 4 hrs

quote author=StillDtruth post=129988536]Who still remembers when the standard tine for running Lagos -Benin was 4hours plus? Whether, 504 or Volvo or Datsun?

While buses took 6 hours (coaster); 7 hours Mercedes-Benz O 309 Mannheim 100 luxurious bus, 12 hours.

Santana and 505 made it in 3hours.

To me, Vboot and 190 were the first cars to run Lagos-Benin in 2hrs .

Benz 200 (flatboot) was close but it made it in 2 hours and some minutes after. I know the Fuel gulping slowed its reach and most flatboots were heading to the East so, Onitsha people na im go get the record.

So, was this your experience?

[/quote]
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 12:28pm On May 23
F117nighthawk:
Santana made Lagos to Benin in 2.5hrs
505 3 hrs
504 3 and half to 4 hrs

Oh you too have seen a Santana run? Loved the car too.

Methinks Its santana and passat that saved Volkswagen from being dead in Nigeria because of its beatle which ofcourse is because most beatles we saw then were very old and beaten and all... Till my neighbour bought a new beatle and i saw, that car is fast and i think it would gap uncle 504!, in that state.
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by Siberia01(m): 1:09pm On May 23
StillDtruth:

Oh you too have seen a Santana run? Loved the car too.

Methinks Its santana and passat that saved Volkswagen from being dead in Nigeria because of its beatle which ofcourse is because most beatles we saw then were very old and beaten and all... Till my neighbour bought a new beatle and i saw, that car is fast and i think it would gap uncle 504!, in that state.

Gap 504? beetle?
Be like you no Sabi wetin be 504
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 1:25pm On May 23
Siberia01:
Gap 504? beetle?
Be like you no Sabi wetin be 504

If you see new beatle run, you go appreciate why i talk so.

504 power na from 0 to 120. After dat na struggle and hala edey do
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by Siberia01(m): 1:36pm On May 23
StillDtruth:

If you see new beatle run, you go appreciate why i talk so.

504 power na from 0 to 120. After dat na struggle and hala edey do
the same beetle wey dey struggle to do 120
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 1:51pm On May 23
Siberia01:
the same beetle wey dey struggle to do 120

That is why i said new beatle. Na old old one we dey normally see. And even Vollkswagen for lagos no be dey make beatle, so understandably new beatle bin dey scarce but i was just blessed to have seen and exlerienced one.

And then thieves stole the car and it was only 1 month old.
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by Siberia01(m): 2:07pm On May 23
StillDtruth:

That is why i said new beatle. Na old old one we dey normally see. And even Vollkswagen for lagos no be dey make beatle, so understandably new beatle bin dey scarce but i was just blessed to have seen and exlerienced one.

And then thieves stole the car and it was only 1 month old.
lol sorry grin
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by cardoctor(m): 10:00am On May 24
The last person that attempted that ended up under a trailer at Shagamu.
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by StillDtruth: 1:16am On May 25
Siberia01:
lol sorry grin

Thank you. It was my neighbour's father's car and we all felt his pain of loss
Re: Who Still Remembers When V-boot And 190 Made Lagos-benin In 2 Hours? by Reliablegrants: 9:27am On May 25
Dzzzz:
I would say 3hrs but not 2hrs..I remember telling a friend Lagos to Ibadan was 45mins and he said I was lying 😂😂..I started driving at the age of 14 and by 18 I drove to Ibadan in 45mins..
You can get a grant today.US grant commission Is offering a free car grant.
You can get maximum of $10,000 that's close to N15,000,000.No repayment required it's a grant.
No processing,registration or upfront payment required.
It's free!free!! And free?!!!
If you are interested to start up your application send a whatsapp message to zero nine zero five one five four four six one five.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amazing Facts Why Nigerians Love Japanese Cars / Which Is Better 2005 Toyota Highlander 6v 4dr Or Ordinary / Check Out This Vehicle Plate Number!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.