Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,612 members, 7,847,557 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 08:47 PM

Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls (9516 Views)

Marriage Of 100 Girls: Niger Imams Forum Dares Minister, Issues Ultimatum / Governor Nyesom Wike And Minister Niger Delta Affair, Drinking And Joking. / Power Supply Suspended As FG Discussed Twitter Suspension With Envoys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by SoNature(m): 12:42am On May 18
Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, minister of women affairs, says the planned marriage of 100 girls in Niger state has been suspended.

Kennedy-Ohanenye spoke in Abuja on Friday after meeting with Abdulmalik Sarkindaji, speaker of the Niger state house of assembly.

The meeting was also attended by Mohammed Mu’azu, Emir of Kotangora.

Sarkindaji had last week said he would sponsor the wedding ceremony of the girls on May 24 as part of his constituency obligations.

The development sparked controversy on social media, with many saying the speaker should have channelled the money into giving the girls an education or skills.

On Monday, Kennedy-Ohanenye stepped into the matter and asked the speaker to halt his plans or face legal action.

The minister said she had petitioned the inspector-general of police (IGP) and sought a court injunction to stop the planned wedding.

Sarkindaji subsequently cancelled his participation in the event and asked the minister to take over.

The speaker said the parents and guardians of the girls, most of whom are orphans, could do whatever they wished with the resources he had provided.

WE’VE MADE PEACE
Addressing journalists after the meeting, the minister said she and Sarkindaji have reconciled their differences and are now partnering to seek better alternatives for the girls.

Kennedy-Ohanenye said she secured an injunction from the Minna high court to restrain the organisers from proceeding with the wedding.

She added that “the court injunction still subsists till we resolve all grey areas”.

“I want to let you know that as I speak to you now, I’m at peace with my royal father, Emir of Kontagora, Mohammed Bara’u Mu’azu, and I am in good terms with my brother, the Speaker. We have made peace,” Kennedy-Ohanenye said.

The emir also said he has suspended the proposed wedding and pledged his emirate’s willingness to partner with the ministry to provide a new lease of life for the girls.

EDUCATION, PHONES, HUGE MACHINES’ — MINISTER LISTS PLANS FOR MARIGA GIRLS
Kennedy-Ohanenye said, for a start, there will be a meeting with the girls to discuss their individual needs and preferences.

She said her ministry has taken “the entire village as a job,” promising to extend the opportunities for education and skill acquisition beyond the 100 girls to other orphans.

The minister described herself as a “protective mother hen” who is committed to defending the rights and safety of the vulnerable girls under her care.

“So, I have no problem with anybody. I have no problem with any religion, all I want to say is please don’t tamper with my children, don’t tamper with my women,” she said.

“My brother, the Speaker came to my office, and we have partnered (ministry of women affairs and the Speaker) to empower these women.

“The ones that want to go to school, we will send them to school. This ministry has taken up this village now as a job, and I am promising Nigerians. I am going to empower them with sustainable economic empowerment.

“By talking to them, I will know the kind of things they like to farm, and I will give them huge machines. If it is rice, beans, or corn, I will put one for a whole village to manage themselves and onboard them in the system on our portal.

“And whatever the federal government is doing for every other person, all of them will get it.

“I will go to the extent of giving them small phones—at least one in each family—to enable them to communicate and get involved in the portal so that they will be like every other woman.

“Because the speaker told me a lot of things concerning the village, like how they are always tormented by the bandits, everybody ends up there. If bandits want to hide, they end up there.

“But I am going to send them to this particular community, and these children will be able to go to school. We will empower them, teach them skills, and give them what to start off their skills with.

“I will equally help them on marketing whatever they will make out of their skills. We shall not, we will not abandon them.

“We are now working together to make sure we better the lives of these girls, not just the 100 girls but all the orphans, all the people that have been affected by this banditry and the insecurity we used to have before.”

The minister said her position on the matter reflects the wishes of President Bola Tinubu and thanked Nigerians for supporting her initiatives.

Source: https://www.thecable.ng/wedding-suspended-as-minister-niger-state-speaker-partner-to-empower-100-girls/amp/

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by SoNature(m): 12:43am On May 18
Well done, Madam Uju, for standing for justice and fighting for these girls. To achieve a positive change, you have to grow some guts and challenge certain obnoxious practices that frustrate social progress and growth.

105 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by yarimo(m): 1:06am On May 18
Try and update yourself before creating thread. The minister has withdraw the case in court and the wedding will proceed as planned. The minister also promise to sponsor any of the bride that is willing to go to school after the wedding, the speaker meet with her after the emir of kontagora Emirates meet and resolve all issues at once with the minister.
SoNature:
Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, minister of women affairs, says the planned marriage of 100 girls in Niger state has been suspended.

Kennedy-Ohanenye spoke in Abuja on Friday after meeting with Abdulmalik Sarkindaji, speaker of the Niger state house of assembly.

The meeting was also attended by Mohammed Mu’azu, Emir of Kotangora.

Sarkindaji had last week said he would sponsor the wedding ceremony of the girls on May 24 as part of his constituency obligations.

The development sparked controversy on social media, with many saying the speaker should have channelled the money into giving the girls an education or skills.

On Monday, Kennedy-Ohanenye stepped into the matter and asked the speaker to halt his plans or face legal action.

The minister said she had petitioned the inspector-general of police (IGP) and sought a court injunction to stop the planned wedding.

Sarkindaji subsequently cancelled his participation in the event and asked the minister to take over.

The speaker said the parents and guardians of the girls, most of whom are orphans, could do whatever they wished with the resources he had provided.

WE’VE MADE PEACE
Addressing journalists after the meeting, the minister said she and Sarkindaji have reconciled their differences and are now partnering to seek better alternatives for the girls.

Kennedy-Ohanenye said she secured an injunction from the Minna high court to restrain the organisers from proceeding with the wedding.

She added that “the court injunction still subsists till we resolve all grey areas”.

“I want to let you know that as I speak to you now, I’m at peace with my royal father, Emir of Kontagora, Mohammed Bara’u Mu’azu, and I am in good terms with my brother, the Speaker. We have made peace,” Kennedy-Ohanenye said.

The emir also said he has suspended the proposed wedding and pledged his emirate’s willingness to partner with the ministry to provide a new lease of life for the girls.

EDUCATION, PHONES, HUGE MACHINES’ — MINISTER LISTS PLANS FOR MARIGA GIRLS
Kennedy-Ohanenye said, for a start, there will be a meeting with the girls to discuss their individual needs and preferences.

She said her ministry has taken “the entire village as a job,” promising to extend the opportunities for education and skill acquisition beyond the 100 girls to other orphans.

The minister described herself as a “protective mother hen” who is committed to defending the rights and safety of the vulnerable girls under her care.

“So, I have no problem with anybody. I have no problem with any religion, all I want to say is please don’t tamper with my children, don’t tamper with my women,” she said.

“My brother, the Speaker came to my office, and we have partnered (ministry of women affairs and the Speaker) to empower these women.

“The ones that want to go to school, we will send them to school. This ministry has taken up this village now as a job, and I am promising Nigerians. I am going to empower them with sustainable economic empowerment.

“By talking to them, I will know the kind of things they like to farm, and I will give them huge machines. If it is rice, beans, or corn, I will put one for a whole village to manage themselves and onboard them in the system on our portal.

“And whatever the federal government is doing for every other person, all of them will get it.

“I will go to the extent of giving them small phones—at least one in each family—to enable them to communicate and get involved in the portal so that they will be like every other woman.

“Because the speaker told me a lot of things concerning the village, like how they are always tormented by the bandits, everybody ends up there. If bandits want to hide, they end up there.

“But I am going to send them to this particular community, and these children will be able to go to school. We will empower them, teach them skills, and give them what to start off their skills with.

“I will equally help them on marketing whatever they will make out of their skills. We shall not, we will not abandon them.

“We are now working together to make sure we better the lives of these girls, not just the 100 girls but all the orphans, all the people that have been affected by this banditry and the insecurity we used to have before.”

The minister said her position on the matter reflects the wishes of President Bola Tinubu and thanked Nigerians for supporting her initiatives.

Source: https://www.thecable.ng/wedding-suspended-as-minister-niger-state-speaker-partner-to-empower-100-girls/amp/

71 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by WhizdomXX(m): 1:44am On May 18
Front page.

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Parydelegate: 6:42am On May 18
Ok
Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by djkaneo(m): 6:47am On May 18
Nobody send una
Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:48am On May 18
yarimo:
Try and update yourself before creating thread. The minister has withdraw the case in court and the wedding will proceed as planned. The minister also promise to sponsor any of the bride that is willing to go to school after the wedding, the speaker meet with her after the emir of kontagora Emirates meet and resolve all issues at once with the minister.

Why are you in support of this wedding? Is it a priority above empowering these women to a better life? Is life all about wedding?

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by SpecialAdviser(m): 6:49am On May 18
They wan collect money before marrying them off. No be Hausa again. Dey play

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Administration1: 6:49am On May 18
Imagine, at this age where development should be a priority, idiots are busy looking off to marry of someone else's child, late or not, they belong to a family.

Mr. Speaker, if your brother's daughter is ong them wouldn't you rather send her to school than marrying her off?

What about the boy, I believe you'll empower them we with guns to turn bandits and rascals
numericalguy:

This one is telling us what he has heard from radio biafla

Normally I don't respond to kids; however the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Therefore, you should be ashamed of yourself for attempting to link me to those senseless fools.

11 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by tiswell(m): 6:52am On May 18
Bold and Galant move from the minister

4 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by nairalee(m): 6:57am On May 18
I think we're living in different lifetimes.

In 2024 this is what some people could conceive in their brains and even became bold enough to spewi it out

And this is even by the so called educated among them o. I just wonder what will comprise of the brains of the illiterates

6 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by axglide(m): 7:03am On May 18
Good.

God wants to change the narrative of some of those girls, well done Minister Uju.

5 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Melagros(m): 7:11am On May 18
COMRADES, suspended or not, everything about Tinubu's government and apc na shit, they don't have dreams for Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by ashawopikin(m): 7:12am On May 18
Bad news for all those old alhajis wey don ready to use their big preeks to destroy orphan virgin pussys

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by descarado: 7:17am On May 18
Akwamkpuruamu:

Why are you in support of this wedding? Is it a priority above empowering these women to a better life? Is life all about wedding?
Because the minister is an igbo lady.

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by ShallongeV: 7:22am On May 18
Hope the Minister will extend her empowerment to other parts of Nigeria not practicing forced marriages... Sometimes it takes controversy and hot agitation from citizens for FG to do the needful for it's citizens

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Goodlady(f): 7:25am On May 18
Wait

1 Like

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Carlylepneuma: 7:27am On May 18
How many more women us she gonna save, can't say she didn't try thou but mass wedding are on the rampant out there... So wt is she gonna do about it
Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by numericalguy(m): 7:29am On May 18
Uju the MUMU Minister just dey disgrace herself upandan. Every month, new disgrace.

Was she not the one roaring all over media houses about how she was going to sue and do this and that. Now she has got her hand burnt again.

She should learn to understand issues first before getting involved

1 Like

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Goodlady(f): 7:30am On May 18
yarimo:
What should v been done first?
Empowering & educating the girls before giving them to marriage?
Concerned people worldwide from Medina to the Nigeria feel some of the husbands may be broke ass husbands that will breed almajiris?
The process is flawed and no one needs to bully the minister. She called worldwide attention to something fishy.
Tomorrow, people shouldn't cry that if those girls are in poverty! To sane people, most organized marriages in that side are recipe for breeding almajiris. The statistics are there. The items giving for them to survive for the marriages are there, and some don't v good source of livelihood. They are potential tools for terror & poverty. They ll say they are taking marriageable girls off the street to marry but to marry who? Another broke aboki husband?
Do population control measures, empower & do massive education for the youths and see the region growing to envy of others. Not all these food sharing empowerment during sallahs or sending people to pilgrimage. Recently them do am. See here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/hajj-five-states-with-n383bn-debt-budget-n9bn-for-pilgrims/%3famp
Money wey dem for use set up biz for people.
https://www.nairaland.com/8049694/2024-hajj-subsidy-statisense
Religion must be separated from governance if rapid growth is needed in a developing country like Nigeria. They should see examples from Saudi Arabia, Dubai and Qatar that has embraced modern reality. Food (source of income) must be available before marriage.
Nuff said!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Goodlady(f): 7:31am On May 18
Carlylepneuma:
How many more women us she gonna save, can't say she didn't try thou but mass wedding are on the rampant out there... So wt is she gonna do about it
Most of the mass weddings are recipe for breeding poverty. They v never considered population explosion in that region and it's affecting them economically and the whole country security wise to breeds janjaweêds and terror tools.

numericalguy:

Yet na una be the biggest producer of ASHAWO..

You are wrong o.
Should we search beam light on coded prostitution, fornication and adultery being done under hijab? Mumu people banning alcohol but collecting their taxes. No sane economic development or plan for future or their population explosion except to sponsor religious trips. Anything religion their blood ll boil but they don't consider development. Always backward in all things like this idiót called numericalguy.
People from the Arab family sef don see say dem no fit hide am again, Arabia and their princes are now breeders of sex orgies.
If you v shame, you ll respond with fact if not, you are a mucous dripping, born troway, born to suffer, gworo chewing alfa, burukutu sipping, latrine sniffing janjaweêd that won't get his 72 virgins in Aljanah Firdaus! Receive healings!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by numericalguy(m): 7:36am On May 18
Goodlady:

What should v been done first?
Empowering & educating the girls or giving them to marriage?
Concerned people worldwide from Medina to the Nigeria feel some of the husbands may be broke ass husbands that will breed almajiris?
The process is flawed and no one needs to bully the minister. She called worldwide attention to something fishy.
Tomorrow, not shouldn't cry that those girls are in poverty! To sane people, most organized marriages in that side are recipe for breeding almajiris. The statistics are there. The items giving for them to survive for the marriages are there, and some don't v good source of livelihood. They are potential tools for terror & poverty.

Empowering the girls was part of the agenda from the beginning but south east bigots like Uju deliberately failed to see that part.

A philanthropist even donated N100K to each of the girls to begin business after marriage.

1 Like

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by numericalguy(m): 7:40am On May 18
Akwamkpuruamu:

Only a very wicked and despicable person and a south easterner would not support this wedding. Because they are orphans does not mean they should not find love and get married

1 Like

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by numericalguy(m): 7:42am On May 18
Administration1:
Imagine, at this age where development should be a priority, idiots are busy looking off to marry of someone else's child, late or not, they belong to a family.

Mr. Speaker, if your brother's daughter is ong them wouldn't you rather send her to school than marrying her off?

What about the boy, I believe you'll empower them we with guns to turn bandits and rascals

This one is telling us what he has heard from radio biafla

1 Like

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Goodlady(f): 7:42am On May 18
numericalguy:

Empowering the girls was part of the agenda from the beginning but south east bigots like Uju deliberately failed to see that part.

A philanthropist even donated N100K to each of the girls to begin business after marriage.
God bless that philanthropist o! Won't you ask him to be first to pick like 4 of those girls since he's capable to drag many outta poverty? 😊
Uju set light to that story. Else it would v been another almajiri breeding venture.
Know this and know truth, Saudi Arabia just opened fashion show. https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/05/saudi-arabia-stages-historic-swimwear-fashion-show/
Northern Nigeria is still practicing extremusm of religion like Afghanistan. Can't they be like Qatar, Dubai etc who v embraced modernity? Poverty and suffering no dey tire you?
Have you or them considered dangers of population explosion or how to do population control?
Are you all born to suffer?
Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by numericalguy(m): 7:43am On May 18
Goodlady:

Most of the kass weddings are recipe for breeding poverty. They v never considered population explosion in that region and it's affecting them economically and the whole country security wise to breeds janjaweêds and terror tools.

You never save all the ASHAWO wey una people dey produce to take service the entire country.

Lubbish

1 Like

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by Goodlady(f): 7:44am On May 18
numericalguy:

You never save all the ASHAWO wey una people dey produce to take service the entire country.

Lubbish
Ashewo is a other cancer that's being combated. Soon, Nigeria ll be free of child marriage, reduced shewo biz, free from religious extremism (you know the region), di population control and not hide under any religious book to start over breeding etc.
So just grow sense & see that the minister of women affairs has done well. If dem like make dem remove her, she has done her part for women development.
Lastly, women in that region ll soon start demanding for their rights. You sef ya wife ll soon hold ya blokkos if you fûck up!
numericalguy:

Eiyah.. So you dey hold your husband blockos as him dey beat shege for your body abi

Wetin concern Saudi Arabia, Dubai with una ASHAWO work for Onisha, Aba, Enugu etc

Go to Kano, Bauchi, Abuja etc and see how una people hold ground for ASHAWO work
Fóolish rodent. Aren't there sharia laws there? Who dey patronize dem? Are they not you and ya people?
Is the law not for catching only poor people?
Single shame no dey ya body. Those almajiri breeded along with you ll do shege to ya life & region!
Go n learn how to do sensible clap back & stop quoting me like a retærd

Re: Wedding Suspended As Minister, Niger State Speaker Partner To Empower 100 Girls by numericalguy(m): 7:48am On May 18
Goodlady:
God bless that philanthropist o! Won't you ask him to be first to pick like 4 of those girls since he's capable to drag many outta poverty? 😊
Uju set light to that story. Else it would v been another almajiri breeding venture.
Know this and know truth, Saudi Arabia just opened fashion show. https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/05/saudi-arabia-stages-historic-swimwear-fashion-show/
Northern Nigeria is still practicing extremusm of religion like Afghanistan. Can't they be like Qatar, Dubai etc who v embraced modernity? Poverty and suffering no dey tire you?
Have you or them considered dangers of population explosion or how to do population control?
Are you all born to suffer?

Yet na una be the biggest producer of ASHAWO..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AbdulRahman Abdulrazaq Lists Priorities As Cabinet Retreat Ends / Taraba Declares Indefinite Curfew Over Looting / Buhari Assumes Presidency Of The Pan-African Great Green Wall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.