Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,110 members, 7,860,021 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:05 AM

Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour (11498 Views)

Minimum Wage: We Have Agreed On A Figure Acceptable To All - Gov Uzodinma / Nigerian Workers Release Breakdown Of Proposed ₦‎615,000 Minimum Wage / Isaac Fayose Mocks PDP, Atiku; Says Labour Party Has Retired PDP (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour by bezimo(m): 12:03am On May 20
I think Nigeria have the capacity to pay its workers that 615k at govt level if you considered the billions looted and spent on nonsense frivolities..assuming the money is not looted.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour by Deepspirituals: 12:44am On May 20
helinues:
Gosh, why do we have unserious Labour union in Nigeria nitori olorun.

You guys are disgusting with this unrealistic proposal
. How much Your Senators Earn in a Month ?

Are they not more better than the Labour workers who are even more Qualified Academically than them ?

Hypocrites .

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour by Blessedarethepe(m): 11:06am On May 20
Enemyofpeace:
it should not be more than 35k
As your name suggests na....I don't need to argue with you.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour by Enemyofpeace: 4:47pm On May 20
Blessedarethepe:

As your name suggests na....I don't need to argue with you.
tongue tongue
Re: Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour by triplechoice(m): 6:53pm On May 20
Iolo:

Ok. You seem to assume I’m against a wage increase. My comment never mentioned that. The FG must work with all stakeholders to increase the min wage. The argument is how much is reasonable…48k is not the answer and I agree with your sentiments there.

First off, your assertion that min wage impacts only civil servants is wrong. The min wage is a national law impacting every government and business and will become legally binding on everyone. This includes the cleaners and entry level workers at private companies (whichever of them is still paying the min wage).

My comment suggested a novel structure that makes everyone happy. I will summarise it again.

- FG sets a floor rate that binds to everyone (this will become the national min wage). For example 100k.
- FG sets a higher min wage for federal civil servants. For example 200k.
- State governments can set whatever min wage they want to set provided it is above the min wage.

The reason for this is the FG may be able to afford to pay civil servants more but most states can’t. Also, many small businesses will either lay off staff or go out of business if they become forced to pay an unreasonable min wage.

Finally, my thoughts around wage compression are a simple fact. Right now the disparity between the haves and have nots in Nigeria is massive.

Entry level is 30k and some professionals earn 5m monthly. You don’t find this in developed countries (excluding CEO / stock based compensation). My other suggestion is for the FG and states to solve for this by making the wage increment disproportionate such that lower income earners get higher increases than the senior folks. That also means less overall cost and increases the likelihood of it being sustainable.

.1. The reason I focused on civil servants alone is because they're the ones in this country that truly benefits once minimum wage is reviewed upward. Minimum wage in Nigeria is really not for everyone as you think though it's supposed to be so.

Majority of business owners in the private sector in Nigeria are exempted from paying. Those not exempted are reluctant to pay it with no one in government doing anything to force them to pay.

.1. FYI, the requirement for paying minimum wage in the private sector is 25 workers and above. That's what the minimum wage act which was passed into law in March,2019 stipulates.

But unfortunately, in Nigeria ,majority of the privately owned businesses which constitute the highest employers of labour are either operating as small or medium scale enterprises with a payroll of less than 25 workers which exempts them from paying minimum wage. Private businesses that aren't exempted usually lie about their staff strength to avoid paying minimum wage . This is Nigeria where most people derive pleasure from cheating others

2. Your recommendation for a different minimum wage for federal government workers and state workers is making sense to you because you're not informed at all of what the minimum wage act says ,and also why it was enacted in the first place after the one preceeding it was repealed. Please Google it and read so you can come up with something more reasonable.

However , from your comments I can see you're a well meaning individual who want the best for those around you ,but unknowingly , what you have suggested here concerning minimum wage is very wicked, and illegal under the law.. And I will tell you why I say so.

Section 3 of the current minimum act has voided your suggestion already that Federal government workers should be paid minimum wage of 200k while those at the state level should have theirs pegged at 100k with state government allowed to negotiate with local labour leaders on what they can afford to pay afterwards. If you mention 100k ,please break it down to show how it translates to a living wage. Don't just suggest something like the average Nigerian business owners who are notorious for paying slave salaries to their workers and don't care if it enables them take care of their basic needs .

The minimum wage act has criminalized any attempt for any employer of labour in Nigeria, not exempted , to reach any other agreement with their workers to pay less than what's approved at the federal level. Please read up the minimum act of March ,2019 to know this and make proper adjustment in your recommendations because what you have suggested is illegal . It won't be accepted.

Governors who refused to pay the 30k were commiting a crime and getting away with because no one was bold enough to challenge them. They can afford to pay but don't want to for fear they won't have enough to steal afterwards. Look at the immediate past governor of kogi state who refused to pay but was dipping his hands regularly into government purse to pay the school fees of his wards.

In 2019 when Buhari led federal government approved 30k as minimum wage,a bag of local rice then,was between 18k to 24k if not less than that ,and 30k during that period was equivalent to $83 . . Now, 5 years after when a bag of local rice is almost 100k ,you and some others here on Nairaland think 100k which currently exchange for $66 is realistic and reasonable? .

No it's not . You're actually suggesting workers should be paid less than what they're currently earning .

With a depressed economy plagued by inflation caused by removal of fuel subsidy and floating of the naira which has drastically reduced to the purchasing powers of Nigerian workers, it's very unrealistic and retrogressive to suggest anything less than 250 to 300k .
If Tinubu ever falls for the trap being set for him by those in the federal government negotiating team comprising of some state governors unwilling to pay minimum wage and signs into law 100k then ,it means he has taken Nigerian workers 5 years back in time if not more than that.

And it will be the highest form of wickedness ever perpetrated on citizens of this ciuntry by a democratically elected goverment which will automatically turn the much vilified Buhari into a saint

He will live to regret it as the opposition will use it against him that because he's clueless about the true value of the naira
he signed into law a new minimum wage which is less in value than the one signed by Buhari. But I'm sure he won't fall for the trap. The man is too smart.

Concerning wage compression which you also suggested, forget it. You're blinded by figures that's why you don't know that 100k of today is not the same value with 100k of 5 years ago. 30k minimum in 2019 was $83. A 100 k minimum wage( your recommendation) will be $66 going by the current exchange rate. Is that an improvement?

Top civil servants shouldn't be used as sacrificial lamb to bridge the gap between
the rich and poor. They have more responsibilities and also need to take care of themselves and the needs of their immediate family members .They deserve an improved salary package considering the sacrifices they've made serving the country for so long. They're not responsible for the current economic climate and shouldn't be made to suffer for what they're not responsible for.

This already getting too long. So I will end it here for now.
Re: Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour by Menclothing1: 8:55pm On May 20
codedguy1:

In your opinion if the minimum wage is pegged at 60k what should be the salary of a senator?

10x it’s just 3 people in a state it’s an elective possition

Minimum wage is followed by factory and all businesses
Re: Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour by codedguy1(m): 10:33pm On May 20
Menclothing1:

10x it’s just 3 people in a state it’s an elective possition

Minimum wage is followed by factory and all businesses

People like you like to be oppressed except you are one of them benefiting from the system as it is.

If they were not collecting 35m monthly and some of them are not using tax payers money to pay sch fees for their children, buying N160m jeeps, 90million for hajj sponsor and all the malfeasance that all the senators, ministers, hor etc display, if all that money was channelled to the right things like solving electricity issues and refining our fuel with construction and maintenance of roads then labour wouldn't be demanding for such because there would be production and security guards and cleaners in the private sector will be able to receive a living wage from their employers.
Re: Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour by codedguy1(m): 11:00pm On May 20
Lanre1st:
NLC never ready to collect anything. Where have you ever seen employers increase salary by 2,000% (two thousand percent). From 30,000 to 615,000

They should start negotiation a feasible amount like 100,000 to 150,000 minimum wages

Look at this one. Imaging what this one is saying.

Add all the percentage increase in food stuff, electricity, fuel which has affected transportation including raw materials and tell me what percentage increment it is.
Re: Minimum Wage: We Won’t Shift Ground On ₦‎615,000 Demand, Says Labour by 1000Capacity: 5:06pm On Jun 11
LilMissFavvy:
I don't understand, did the man say workers should be paid 650k monthly? . If yes, then he is definitely a clown or joker to mention such a funny amount, he seems to be inexperienced for that leadership role. A wise person would have mentioned a sensible amount, eg 100-150k.
Its now getting to 62

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors / Nigerian Lawyer, 33, In USA Found In His Car Trunk With Neck Broken By Car Thief / Who 'Won' The Lagos Governorship Debate On Channels TV?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.