Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,712 members, 7,865,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:33 AM

Talent & Fame ‘talent Over Hype: Separating True Artistry From Mere Popularity I - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Talent & Fame ‘talent Over Hype: Separating True Artistry From Mere Popularity I (57 Views)

There Is Only 9 Miles Of Water Separating Europe From Africa (Pics) / White Teacher Suspended After Separating Black & White Kids (PHOTOS) / History Of Wizkid's Fame And Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Talent & Fame ‘talent Over Hype: Separating True Artistry From Mere Popularity I by osworld1(m): 11:53am On May 21
INDUSTRY SERMONET
Topic:: Talent & Fame ‘Talent Over Hype: Separating True Artistry from Mere Popularity in the Music Industry’

As someone deeply ingrained in the music industry as an A&R expert, I wholeheartedly endorse the notion that "Popularity isn't synonymous with talent, but it can certainly accentuate it."

In the contemporary music landscape, which often prioritizes speed and surface appeal, it's easy to conflate fame with genuine skill. Nonetheless, it's imperative for industry insiders like us to discern between the two, giving precedence to authentic talent over mere notoriety.

Certainly, popularity can serve as a powerful amplifier for talent, offering artists a broader platform to showcase their abilities and opening doors to new collaborations and opportunities. However, it's crucial to acknowledge that popularity doesn't always reflect true talent.

Numerous factors, such as marketing strategies, branding, and social media presence, can contribute to an artist's popularity, sometimes overshadowing their musical prowess.

In today's digital era, fame can be transient, often favoring style over substance. This is evident in the emergence of social media influencers and reality TV personalities who may lack tangible talent yet boast a substantial following. While this may benefit their personal brand, it can dilute the essence of the music industry.

As A&R representatives, our duty is to identify and nurture genuine talent rather than chasing after fleeting popularity. We must delve beneath the surface and emphasize an artist's creativity, skill, and commitment.

Critical questions must be asked: Does this artist possess a distinctive voice and perspective? Do they demonstrate exceptional craftsmanship and proficiency? Are they pushing the boundaries of their genre and contributing something novel to the music landscape?

By prioritizing authentic talent over popularity, we can elevate the integrity of the music industry and ensure that deserving artists receive due recognition. We must resist the allure of social media noise and transient trends, staying true to our mission of discovering and nurturing exceptional talent.

In essence, while popularity can enhance talent, it's essential to distinguish between the two and prioritize genuine talent over superficial acclaim. By doing so, we contribute to fostering a music industry that values substance over style and rewards true creativity.

This is not just my mission; it's my belief and principle. Here's to uplifting as many talents as possible. Cheers!

✍️✍️Olajengbesi OS
Music A&R
Entertainment & law

(1) (Reply)

LAMIST Completes First Phase To Slash Internet Connectivity Costs / Evil Will Always Give Birth To Evil / BREAKING: Kano House Of Assembly Finally Wipes Out Emirates Council Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.