Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,686 members, 7,955,565 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:21 AM

Currency Depreciation- Nigeria Students Forced Out Of UK For Tuition Default - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Currency Depreciation- Nigeria Students Forced Out Of UK For Tuition Default (174 Views)

My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk / This Deer Was Killed After Flood Forced It Out Of Its Habitat In Delta / Reps Ban Airlines From Canada, UK For Denying Nigeria Landing Rights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Currency Depreciation- Nigeria Students Forced Out Of UK For Tuition Default by ndidibabe(f): 12:22pm On May 22
Nigerian students have been thrown off university courses and ordered to leave the UK after a currency crisis left them struggling to pay tuition fees on time.

Teesside University students were blocked from their studies and reported to the Home Office after the value of Nigeria's naira plummeted, wiping out their savings.

Some told the BBC they felt suicidal as they accused the university of taking a "heartless" approach to those who fell into arrears as a consequence.

A university spokesman said failure to pay was a breach of visa sponsorship requirements, and that it had "no choice" but to alert the Home Office. The Home Office said visa sponsorship decisions rested with the institution.

Nigeria is currently experiencing its worst economic crisis in a generation, which is having a significant impact on Nigerian students at some UK universities.

Average inflation is almost 34%, and the situation deteriorated when the country's president attempted to replace old currency with new.

The currency subsequently depreciated by over 100% against the dollar in a year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c888926qx58o
Re: Currency Depreciation- Nigeria Students Forced Out Of UK For Tuition Default by acili: 12:27pm On May 22
Its such a pity. The sad reality is that, the politicians doesn't feel the heat.

1 Like

Re: Currency Depreciation- Nigeria Students Forced Out Of UK For Tuition Default by fnep2smooth(m): 12:40pm On May 22
i try buying a domain via a virtual card (EverSend), i saw 1630.26 / 1$

e no easy for this country.

(1) (Reply)

10 Things To Do In Europe / BBC's Japa Debate: Should I Stay Or Should I Go? The Dilemma For Young Nigerians / Multiple Deaths Reported After Migrant Boat Capsizes In Drina River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.