Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,844 members, 7,866,277 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 02:20 PM

Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! (562 Views)

Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin's Swag In Church (Photos) / Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Buys Private Jet (Photos) / Amazing. Zechariah Chapter 8 Is About To Be Fulfilled About Jerusalem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 2:38pm On May 22
Judas Hangs Himself - Matthew 27:9-10- See Matthew's Prophecy of Jeremiah in red
Then what was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “ They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on Him by the people of Israel, and they gave them for the potter’s field, as the Lord had commanded me.

Where did Jeremiah say this in the Bible? Nowhere!!

Here is the closest verse:
Thirty Pieces of Silver- Zechariah 11:12-13
Then I told them, “If it seems right to you, give me my wages; but if not, keep them.” So they weighed out my wages, thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—this magnificent price at which they valued me. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD

Matthew did quote Zachariah as Jeremiah albeit wrongly too!
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Viktori(m): 3:16pm On May 22
The passage in Matthew 27:9-10 attributing the prophecy to Jeremiah is actually a reference to Zechariah 11:12-13, which you rightly quoted. However, there are a couple of theories for this:

* Some scholars believe Matthew might have been referring to a collection of prophetic writings that included Jeremiah and Zechariah, and simply attributed it to the more well-known Jeremiah.

* Another theory suggests that the passage in Zechariah more closely aligned with the events of Jesus' betrayal, and thus Matthew applied it here.

Now here's why...

Zechariah 11 is not directly quoting Jeremiah, but there are connections between the two prophets' writings. Here's a breakdown:

Zechariah 11:12-13 describes a symbolic act where the prophet takes thirty pieces of silver, throws them to the potter, and declares it a "magnificent price."

The prophet Jeremiah doesn't mention thirty pieces of silver, but there are thematic connections to his prophecies:

Jeremiah 19: [/b]describes the potter's field and the judgment of God for innocent bloodshed.

[b]Jeremiah 32
portrays Jeremiah symbolically buying land, potentially foreshadowing the misuse of money.

Matthew, in the New Testament, combines these elements when attributing the prophecy to Jeremiah, the first prophet about the field of blood. This connection highlights the fulfillment of ancient prophecies in the events surrounding Jesus' betrayal.

In summarizing, I think to balance it, Matthew could have also quote Zechariah.

1 Like

Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 3:34pm On May 22
Viktori:
The passage in Matthew 27:9-10 attributing the prophecy to Jeremiah is actually a reference to Zechariah 11:12-13, which you rightly quoted. However, there are a couple of theories for this:

* Some scholars believe Matthew might have been referring to a collection of prophetic writings that included Jeremiah and Zechariah, and simply attributed it to the more well-known Jeremiah.

* Another theory suggests that the passage in Zechariah more closely aligned with the events of Jesus' betrayal, and thus Matthew applied it here.

Now here's why...

Zechariah 11 is not directly quoting Jeremiah, but there are connections between the two prophets' writings. Here's a breakdown:

Zechariah 11:12-13 describes a symbolic act where the prophet takes thirty pieces of silver, throws them to the potter, and declares it a "magnificent price."

The prophet Jeremiah doesn't mention thirty pieces of silver, but there are thematic connections to his prophecies:

Jeremiah 19: [/b]describes the potter's field and the judgment of God for innocent bloodshed.

[b]Jeremiah 32
portrays Jeremiah symbolically buying land, potentially foreshadowing the misuse of money.

Matthew, in the New Testament, combines these elements when attributing the prophecy to Jeremiah, the first prophet about the field of blood. This connection highlights the fulfillment of ancient prophecies in the events surrounding Jesus' betrayal.

In summarizing, I think to balance it, Matthew could have also quote Zechariah.

I have read all these before and they still didn't explain how Zechariah became Jeremiah to a whole disciple of Jesus!
Matthew wrote: Then what was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled!

When ascribing references to works this kind of mistake could be costly!
If you did a Project work and instead of referencing Dr. A and you wrote Dr. B, you will be sanctioned if that is discovered!

1 Like

Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Viktori(m): 6:10pm On May 22
StillDtruth:

Is there any gain in responding to this mad muslim?

Do you not see that he does not really care about any explanation but just wants to attack the bible by raising non issues so as to make it look like the bible is flawed like their evil rubbish koran?

Quite correct that he's trying to stir still waters.
I understand now that his motive for posting this is to prove some academic prowess and argue without listening to others.

Thank you.
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Viktori(m): 6:15pm On May 22
AbuTwins:

I have read all these before and they still didn't explain how Zechariah became Jeremiah to a whole disciple of Jesus!
Matthew wrote: Then what was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled!

When ascribing references to works this kind of mistake could be costly!
If you did a Project work and instead of
referencing Dr. A and you wrote Dr. B, you will be sanctioned if that is discovered!

How does that help you now? When John was called Elias... Was he really Elias? Matthew (11:14)

Quit this argument please
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 7:46pm On May 22
Viktori:

How does that help you now? When John was called Elias... Was he really Elias? Matthew (11:14)

Quit this argument please

The thread isn't about John and Elijah as I can call you by the name of someone else if you do similar things as him or have similar features, etc.

How can Matthew call Zechariah Jeremiah when they are different personalities with different books?

He even said he spoke it.
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 7:47pm On May 22
Viktori:

Quite correct that he's trying to stir still waters.
I understand now that his motive for posting this is to prove some academic prowess and argue without listening to others.

Thank you.

I did read your argument and I have read it before online but it's a flimsy argument in that Matthew said Jeremiah spoke...!
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Kobojunkie: 9:38pm On May 22
AbuTwins:
Judas Hangs Himself - Matthew 27:9-10- See Matthew's Prophecy of Jeremiah in red
Then what was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “ They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on Him by the people of Israel, and they gave them for the potter’s field, as the Lord had commanded me.
Yes, this is one of the errors found in Matthew's account! Is it a contradiction? Absolutely not! undecided

1 Like

Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 9:49pm On May 22
Kobojunkie:
Yes, this is one of the errors found in Matthew's account! Is it a contradiction? Absolutely not! undecided

Did you see any contradiction claim therein?

Matthew mistakes Jeremiah for Zachariah!
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Kobojunkie: 9:51pm On May 22
AbuTwins:
∆ Did you see any contradiction claim therein?
You have made several false claims of the sort before now. So I feel it is important to point out that this cannot be considered a contradiction either.

1 Like

Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 9:52pm On May 22
Kobojunkie:
You have made several false claims of the sort before now. So I feel it is important to point out that this cannot be considered a contradiction either.

The title states mistake and so it is!

1 Like

Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Kobojunkie: 9:54pm On May 22
AbuTwins:
∆ The title states mistake and so it is!
From dealing with you religious folks, I have learned it is better to dot tge t's and i's than not. undecided

1 Like

Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by 99thEnemy(m): 9:57pm On May 22
AbuTwins:

Did you see any contradiction claim therein?

You didn’t tell me about the Sirah that documents why you don’t eat pigs. cool
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 8:49am On May 23
99thEnemy:

You didn’t tell me about the Sirah that documents why you don’t eat pigs. cool

That's not the business of the topic here!
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 8:50am On May 23
Kobojunkie:
From dealing with you religious folks, I have learned it is better to dot tge t's and i's than not. undecided

Deal with what you see and not what you think!
It's not every time you preempt people!
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by 99thEnemy(m): 10:15am On May 23
AbuTwins:

That's not the business of the topic here!
Is it because Jesus drove out evil spirits from a man and cast them into pigs or is it because… cool
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 11:58am On May 23
99thEnemy:

Is it because Jesus drove out evil spirits from a man and cast them into pigs or is it because… cool

How is that related to the thread?
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Kobojunkie: 4:29pm On May 23
AbuTwins:
∆ Deal with what you see and not what you think!
It's not every time you preempt people!
Whsr i see are a bunch if religious folks whose stock in trade is the spinning of lies all in other to glorify the scams fed them by their particular god of men...that is you religious folks is a nutshell! grin

1 Like

Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 5:31pm On May 23
Kobojunkie:
Whsr i see are a bunch if religious folks whose stock in trade is the spinning of lies all in other to glorify the scams fed them by their particular god of men...that is you religious folks is a nutshell! grin

Anyways i don't follow men but the texts!
Na your Jesus people you dey talk about!
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On May 23
AbuTwins:
Anyways i don't follow men but the texts!
Na your Jesus people you dey talk about!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 abegi no make me die of laughter 😂😂😂😂

1 Like

Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Viktori(m): 6:55pm On May 23
AbuTwins:

The thread isn't about John and Elijah as I can call you by the name of someone else if you do similar things as him or have similar features, etc.

How can Matthew call Zechariah Jeremiah when they are different personalities with different books?

He even said he spoke it.

How easy for you to contradict yourself? John and Elijah were similar persons abi? What makes Zechariah and Jeremiah similar?

If they were different personalities? What would John and Elijah be? I stated at first you were here to spew a baseless argument!
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 6:56pm On May 23
Viktori:

How easy for you to contradict yourself? John and Elijah were similar persons abi? What makes Zechariah and Jeremiah similar?

If they were different personalities? What would John and Elijah be? I stated at first you were here to spew a baseless argument!

John is a different person from Elijah!
Jeremiah is a different person from Zachariah!
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Viktori(m): 7:11pm On May 23
AbuTwins:

John is a different person from Elijah!
Jeremiah is a different person from Zachariah!

Look at this wit. A minute ago you claimed they were similar. See you contradict yourself oh man. Only if you could see how frail you sound right now. Then you would know best not to make a noise about Matthew's referencing style.
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by Viktori(m): 7:19pm On May 23
@AbuTwins

Can you be kind enough to help explain what the Quran states about the creation of the world? Or confirm if my transliteration is correct of these verses? How many days did it take to create the Heavens and the Earth?

Quran-7:54: Your guardian-Lord is Allah who created the heavens and earth in Six Days

Quran-10:3: Verily your Lord is Allah, who created the heavens and earth in Six Days

Quran- 11:7: He it is Who created the heavens and earth in Six Days

Quran-25:29: He Who created the heavens and earth and all that is between, in Six Days
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 8:54am On May 24
Viktori:
@AbuTwins

Can you be kind enough to help explain what the Quran states about the creation of the world? Or confirm if my transliteration is correct of these verses? How many days did it take to create the Heavens and the Earth?

Quran-7:54: Your guardian-Lord is Allah who created the heavens and earth in Six Days

Quran-10:3: Verily your Lord is Allah, who created the heavens and earth in Six Days

Quran- 11:7: He it is Who created the heavens and earth in Six Days

Quran-25:29: He Who created the heavens and earth and all that is between, in Six Days

You can create your thread for that as that is derailing this thread!

Rule 1
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by MightySparrow: 9:46am On May 24
AbuTwins:

Then I told them, “If it seems right to you, give me my wages; but if not, keep them.” So they weighed out my wages, thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—this magnificent price at which they valued me. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD

What do you think is responsible for the mistake?
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 11:04am On May 24
MightySparrow:

What do you think is responsible for the mistake?

I don't know!
My own is that it is an error!
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by advocatejare(m): 11:09am On May 24
AbuTwins:

Let us see what your Quran says:

The author of the Qur’an says the Jews say, “Ezra is the son of Allah“

"The Jews say, “Ezra is the son of Allah “; and the Christians say, “The Messiah is the son of Allah .” That is their statement from their mouths; they imitate the
saying of those who disbelieved [before them]. May Allah destroy them; how are
they deluded?" – Quran 9:30

The Quranic verse is also supported by Sahih Bukhari:
“What did you worship? They will say: We worshipped ‘Uzair (Ezra), son of Allah.
It would be said to them: You tell a lie;” – Sahih Bukhari” 1:352

This is not a contradiction, rather a mistake about the Jewish scripture. It says The
Jews say, “Ezra is the son of Allah”, which is not a part of any Jewish scriptures, which are the Torah and the Talmuds.

There is no Jewish scripture that says that Ezra is the Son of God. That is to tell you that Allah is ignorant
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by advocatejare(m): 11:12am On May 24
AbuTwins:

Another goof by the supposed all-knowing Allah:

The Quran mentioned Iron coats mail introduced too early

And We certainly gave David from Us bounty. [We said], “O mountains, repeat [Our] praises with him, and the birds [as well].” And We made pliable for him
iron,[Commanding him], “Make full coats of mail and calculate [precisely] the
links,” – Quran 34:10-11

David lived in 1000 BC, and coats of chain mail was invented in 200 BC, which is 800 years after.
Re: Matthew Mistakes Jeremiah For Zechariah! by AbuTwins: 11:27am On May 24
Rule 1 - don't derail threads by posting off topic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Does God Allow Surffering? Click Here! / Who Are Our Leaders' Pastors? / My Daily Spiritual Expressions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.