Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,724 members, 7,865,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 07:38 AM

Is Minimum Wage The Same As Allowances? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Minimum Wage The Same As Allowances? (127 Views)

How Is Minimum Wage Calculated ? / Minimum Wage: The Hypocrisy Of Tinubu Supporter, Ogbeni Dipo (2015 Vs 2024) / ₦500,000 Minimum Wage: The Labour Union Are Unrealistic With Their Proposal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Minimum Wage The Same As Allowances? by emkz: 3:39pm On May 22
I decided to share my views on this issue as there is a furore over minimum wage while ignoring other pressing issues. I made the comment below in another thread and felt the need to move it to a larger audience. NLC and TUC need to wake up and stop chasing shadows.

In my payroll, the breakdown starts with "base pay". I believe this is where the minimum wage applies. I modify the comment slightly. Please those who are working can share their views too.

emkz:

Anyone who has a valid employment contract knows that the way salary is broken down includes:

(1) Basic salary: this is where minimum wage applies.

(2) Healthcare - this can be monetized or the company takes care of it. Some companies cover the healthcare for up to 4 family members including childbirth. My employer paid for my glasses many years ago.

(3) Transport allowance. The company may provide a staff bus or contribute to the employee's transport bills. Some government organizations actually give fuel allowance. I won't mention them.

(4) Education: in some government agencies, they provide schools for free or heavily subsidized for the children of their staff members. They are also required to train their staff as part of their career development plan for their staff. That is why you find some banks send some staff to big schools like INSEAD or Havard for training.

(5) Housing allowance: I think this depends on location.

(6) Relocation allowance (paid once I think) for transfer cases.

(7) Holiday allowance. You are entitled to a paid holiday. Some can call this 13th month. In other cases, the holiday allowances and 13th month are separate.

Others are: food tickets or food subsidies (some companies provide preloaded debit cards that can be used for food), domestic staff allowance, entertainment allowance, and even furniture expenses. I am aware that some embassies give their staff food debit cards. There is also hazard allowance which is separate from the base salary. Some are paid every three months, while some are paid every month.

In some companies, clothing allowance are included. Some companies also pay bonuses depending on profitability and performances, while some are required to share food items to staff members during festivities.

Usually when the allowances are included, it is not as bad as many people make it seem. The allowances may outweigh the minimum wage or bulk it up.

If you get a job, I think it is a law for these things to be included. NLC and TUC can negotiate for higher food subsidies, transportation allowances, housing allowances, and health allowances in employees' contracts to make the salary fat. If it is not included in the law, include it in the law.

You'd never hear some government employees complain about these things because they are already enjoying them.
Nlfpmod

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Benin Traditional Council Respond To Edo State Government Over Courts Case / FG Announces Two Months Of Free Rides On Abuja Light Rail / NYCN Europe Appoints Dr Adekunle Badmus Youth Ambassador In Turkey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.