Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,725 members, 7,862,327 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 02:00 PM

Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility (636 Views)

#AnambraDecides: Pictures From Anambra Election Data Center / PDP Asks Buhari To Take Responsibility For Alleged Missing $1b Arms Fund / Army Yet To Access $1b Equipment Fund, Says Buratai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by Oilwell(m): 7:12pm On May 23
Microsoft Corporation and G42, a leading artificial intelligence company in the United Arab Emirates are working together to build a $1 billion geothermal-powered data center in Kenya.

This development follows the decision of Microsoft to close down its African development centre in Lagos Nigeria putting about 200 people out of work.

According to Business Insider Africa, the project marks the first phase of a multiyear initiative aimed at boosting cloud computing capacity and services in East Africa.

The initial investment and construction of the facility will be carried out by G42. They will oversee the construction of the facility in Olkaria, an area in Kenya rich in geothermal resources. This is done to bypass the issue of power outages in the continent as Kenya fits in with Microsoft’s climate goals.

The first phase of the project will have a capacity of 100 megawatts and is expected to be operational in two years.

Microsoft, G42 and Kenyan officials are set to sign a letter of intent tomorrow which was created with the assistance of the US and UAE governments.

Microsoft President Brad Smith who is no stranger to Kenya as a country argued that the new project is a significant step in deepening and embedding digital technology in the country’s history.

He also hailed the alliance with UAE’s G42 citing the significant milestones that could be achieved if both parties work together in promoting digital technology in Africa.

G42 Chief Executive Officer Peng Xiao explained that the full project would require up to one gigawatt of electricity from the grid.

The corporate bromance between Microsoft and G42 strengthened in April when Microsoft agreed to invest $1.5 billion in G42. The deal was initiated by the Biden administration in a bid to checkmate Chinese influence and access to AI technology.

The deal involved G42 terminating its business relationships with Chinese companies and opting to work only with the United States.

What To Know

Abu Dhabi-based G42, in which Microsoft invested $1.5 billion last month, has begun training an open-source large-language AI model in Swahili and English. The data centre is projected to build on this.

UAE’s G42 expansion into Kenya is part of a larger initiative by the oil-rich UAE to grow and expand its influence in Africa. The country has committed to invest about $100 billion In the continent over the past two years.

Microsoft’s decision to close down its African development centre points to a larger problem with Nigeria’s business climate at the moment as the country struggles to woo investors or keep existing ones.

https://nairametrics.com/2024/05/23/microsoft-to-build-1billion-data-center-in-kenya-after-closing-its-nigerian-facility/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by immortalcrown(m): 7:12pm On May 23
Nigeria, the giant of Africa.

I visited Kenya in 2022 and told my brother that Nairobi is the business hub of Africa.

The funny thing is that Kenyans hold Nigerians in high esteem with the belief that Nigeria is more developed than Kenya. Kenyans don't know that their country is miles ahead of Nigeria in infrastructure. The only thing sustaining the name of Nigeria is human resources and population. Indeed, Nigeria has more talents than many other African countries.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by MEEVEET: 7:14pm On May 23
If APC rules for 16 years dollar would be 15000 no cap

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by Oilwell(m): 7:14pm On May 23
Agbadoconomics at work

Coca-Cola announces potential $175 million investment in Kenya.

https://gazettengr.com/coca-cola-announces-potential-175-million-investment-in-kenya/
Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by Armaggedon: 7:17pm On May 23
I thought some mumu people say they are also closing down the one in Kenya.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by CodeTemplar: 7:24pm On May 23
One defeat after the other.
Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by givedemwotowoto: 7:25pm On May 23
Helinues you still think Obidients are the problem

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by Puss360(f): 7:26pm On May 23
Hmmm ..
Honestly I feel Nigeria isn't ripe high tech infrastructure...
We need more human capital development....
Even 10-floor storey residential building isn't common sef ..
We have lots of people who haven't entered elevator or Aeroplane in their lives.
We need investment in people coming to learn a skill!!!!! And can be independent!!!
If not, all these multi billion infrastructure will be more or less like a statue to the common man ...
Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by okeyley: 7:29pm On May 23
see how APC have reduced Nigeria from giant of Africa to the ANT of Africa.

And The great Tinubulation is not helping matter see how other African countries are benefiting the little we gathered as the giant we are loosing them

So Sad

3 Likes

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by christejames(m): 7:37pm On May 23
Courtesy of Tinubu
Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by kettykin: 7:40pm On May 23
There's an intelligence mosh of the multinationals have that a lot of Nigerians don't have. If you want to get a clue, check my posts since last year.
Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by EmeeNaka: 7:42pm On May 23
Armaggedon:
I thought some mumu people say they are also closing down the one in Kenya.
Don't mind the devilish APC. They can add anything to their list of lies just to keep promoting this evil APC government.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by vanbonattel: 7:44pm On May 23
Puss360:
Hmmm ..
Honestly I feel Nigeria isn't ripe high tech infrastructure...
We need more human capital development....
Even 10-floor storey residential building isn't common sef ..
We have lots of people who haven't entered elevator or Aeroplane in their lives.
We need investment in people coming to learn a skill!!!!! And can be independent!!!
If not, all these multi billion infrastructure will be more or less like a statue to the common man ...

Na lie, we need more osun state people to leave Oshogbo and relocate to Lagos parks. That's development.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by Puss360(f): 7:46pm On May 23
vanbonattel:

Na lie, we need more osun state people to leave Oshogbo and relocate to Lagos parks. That's development.
Lol... Leave tribal talk fess...
We are largely undeveloped in terms of Human capital
Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by ibechris(m): 7:54pm On May 23
America is avoiding Nigeria because of who they elected.

If u listen to Biden today,from his speech,u will know that Kenya is the only country in Afrjca that is diplomatically connected to the western world.

U can't elect criminal with incriminating records and u expect foreign investment in the country.

U think investors don't do their research?

To America,Nigeria is only good to be used to study terrorism and banditry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by vanbonattel: 7:58pm On May 23
Puss360:

Lol... Leave tribal talk fess...
We are largely undeveloped in terms of Human capital

We're saying the same things, how can we develop our human capital when some regions are more interested in displacing their poor states and transferring all able bodied youths to go disrupt development of other people in Lagos?

Ko me werk na

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by vanbonattel: 7:59pm On May 23
ibechris:
America is avoiding Nigeria because of who they elected.

If u listen to Biden today,from his speech,u will know that Kenya is the only country in Afrjca that is diplomatically connected to the western world.

U can't elect criminal with incriminating records and u expect foreign investment in the country.

U think investors don't do their research?

To America,Nigeria is only good to be used to study terrorism and banditry.

And they seem to have understood the meaning of

Don't invest in Lagos

3 Likes

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by femoric(m): 9:08pm On May 23
immortalcrown:
Nigeria, the giant of Africa.

I visited Kenya in 2022 and told my brother that Nairobi is the business hub of Africa.

The funny thing is that Kenyans hold Nigerians in high esteem with the belief that Nigeria is more developed than Kenya. Kenyans don't know that their country is miles ahead of Nigeria in infrastructure. The only thing sustaining the name of Nigeria is human resources and population. Indeed, Nigeria has more talents than many other African countries

You are very correct! I was in Kenya this year February, first time though. We went for a workshop at my place of work, when they told us we were going to Kenya, I was very mad, I was like why not South Africa, why Kenya of all places!!

Kenya blew mind mind away. Nigeria is giant of nonsense. We visited Nairobi, Mumbasa and Nakuru, No where in Nigeria is close to Nairobi. We spent 5 days and there was no power cut for 1 minutes, see their cars, they all run on both gas and EV, recent cars, I saw some Toyota brands I have never seen in my life, even the so called Lexus RX 350 in Naija is called Toyota Harrier in Kenya.

The country is clean. Right from their Airport, they have a highway that ran through the whole of Nairobi, in case you don't wanna wait at roundabouts, their air is fresh.

I asked about their minimum wage, the average is $82 (14,000 Kenya Shillings, Nigeria minimum wage is $22) and of course, they still spend their coins.

While we were departing around 6pm EAT, about 6 different Kenya Airways planes were in line for take off. Whereas Nigeria doesn't have a single airplane to it's name, we had to borrow and paint an Euthopian plane for showoff.

What battles me is that these guys still wanna visit Nigeria, to them everyone lives like Davido and Wizkid. Our leaders are really the worst.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by Racoon(m): 9:09pm On May 23
TotalEnergy fashi Nigeria under the balabloo-blu-bulava CSU certificate forger for Angola and now Microsoft they denied is not closing shop in Lagos is now Kenya-bound.

Meanwhile, the government is pleasuring its deadbeat zombies of attracting phantom investors to invest in Nigeria. You can steal a mandate and government by lies and propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by Racoon(m): 9:13pm On May 23
ibechris:
America is avoiding Nigeria because of who they elected.If u listen to Biden today,from his speech,u will know that Kenya is the only country in Afrjca that is diplomatically connected to the western world.

U can't elect criminal with incriminating records and u expect foreign investment in the country.U think investors don't do their research? To America,Nigeria is only good to be used to study terrorism and banditry.
Meanwhile;

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by magoo10(m): 9:28pm On May 23
Where is the foreign direct investment (fdi) they are claiming.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by Oilwell(m): 6:08am On May 24
Its quite unfortunate.
Re: Microsoft To Build $1B Data Center In Kenya After Closing Its Nigerian Facility by AcadaWriter: 10:18am On May 24
Helinues you still think people are the problem

(1) (Reply)

Why I Prefer The Old National Anthem And Endorse The Reverse / Abba Kyari Released From Kuje Prison / Commonwealth Mps Protest Racism In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.