Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,892 members, 7,863,053 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:01 AM

Soyinka As Okonkwo In 'things Fall Apart'! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka As Okonkwo In 'things Fall Apart'! (163 Views)

Anambra Guber: Soludo, Andy, Others Risk Disqualification As Okonkwo Goes To Cou / Dapo Abiodun Decorates Soyinka As Amotekun Super Marshall / Throwback Photos Of Professor Wole Soyinka As He Celebrates His 85th Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka As Okonkwo In 'things Fall Apart'! by AustineE1: 3:45pm On May 24
Soyinka as Okonkwo in “Things Fall Apart”

Val. Obienyem

Prof. Wole Soyinka is a distinguished Nigerian whose contributions to literature and politics are globally recognized. However, despite his achievements, he sometimes fails to heed that each profession, especially in his writings, has the moral obligation to be understood or keep quiet.

I read Soyinka's comments about Mr. Peter Obi with a heavy heart, troubled by the magnitude of his errors. How can somebody say Obi was not qualified to contest the Presidency? Anyone in Nigeria who does not understand or pretends not to understand that the Obidient movement is a spontaneous response to the country's problems is out of touch with reality. With the prevailing situation in the country, more of similar movements will surely emerge. Who is happy with Nigeria as it presently is? It is a sort of we-they group, made up of the oppressed and oppressors. Obidients are the oppressed Nigerians, which we thought Soyinka would have sealed his activism by identifying with.

During the lead-up to the 2023 Presidential election, Soyinka criticized Obi’s running mate, Sen. Yusuf Datti, and proposed a debate with him or any designated representative. In response, some of us arranged for Prof. Okey Ikechukwu to serve as the delegate for that purpose. Our rationale was straightforward: Ikechukwu, renowned for his civil discourse, would convey the essential points without resorting to provocative language. Even when his statements deliver a decisive impact(Knock-out-blow), they do not leave behind a trail of hostility.

This scenario reminded me of a symposium during my seminary days. We invited the elderly Mr. Sylvester Udunni to deliver the keynote address. Our teachers, led by Mr. Collins Okeke (now a priest), were eager to challenge him with their fresh philosophical insights, being newly minted from philosophical studies and eager to showcase their erudition. However, after Mr. Udunni finished his paper, he excused himself and left before any discussion began. The philosophical pundits were left with Mr. Borbert Oguegbu (Wasky of Nollywood) to spar with. We thoroughly enjoyed the lively debate and applauded the arguments like sturdy blows at the Olympics. However, Ikechukwu is a seasoned speaker and would take on anyone, however acclaimed, in an intellectual joust.

When we presented our debate plans to Mr. Obi, he laughed and asked if Prof. Okey Ikechukwu was aware of the arrangement. Misunderstanding his concern, I assured him that contacting Ikechukwu would not be a problem. Obi then expressed doubt that Ikechukwu would accept the debate under such circumstances.

Obi calmly explained, “Val, if your father called you stupid and challenged you to a debate, would you accept? It is highly disrespectful to debate Soyinka—not only because of his societal achievements but also because of his age.”

Obi's remarks about Soyinka were insightful, reflecting his reverence for both the man and old age. Having met with Soyinka several times, Soyinka should have a good understanding of his character by now. If Soyinka opposes people like Obi becoming president, it implies he believes the position should remain in the hands of brigands.

Part of the reason Okonkwo killed Ikemefuna, who called him father, was his fear of appearing cowardly. Why is Soyinka so determined to undermine Obi?
Re: Soyinka As Okonkwo In 'things Fall Apart'! by Oilwell(m): 3:52pm On May 24
Make una leave that old man. He does not mean well. The same person that participated in the demonstrations at Ojota against GEJ's government. Today fuel is between 750 to 1000 naira and his only problem is Peter Obi.
Re: Soyinka As Okonkwo In 'things Fall Apart'! by HitlerWasRight: 3:52pm On May 24
Okonkwo killed ikemefuna who was given to okonkwo's clan by another clan as a slave appeasement.

Okonkwo then murdered ikemefuna in what can only be discerned was as a ritual offering to the gods.

Ikemefuna was by virtue of him being handed to okonkwo's clan a slave .

Stop associating Soyinka to your primitive tales.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka As Okonkwo In 'things Fall Apart'! by OPICANTO2223: 4:00pm On May 24
It's in this baba case I know that Alzheimer disease real. He is having senile dementia and people should understand that he is above 90 years
Re: Soyinka As Okonkwo In 'things Fall Apart'! by Beautifulday: 4:03pm On May 24
Soyinka has been against the ideology Obi brought to the nation's polity because it goes against his ideology of keeping Nigeria down in the hands of a few who believe they fought for her independence
Re: Soyinka As Okonkwo In 'things Fall Apart'! by AustineE1: 4:03pm On May 24
One attitude i like in Obi most is his humility,in the word of a novelist,he has a way of 'turning tormentors into mentors'.
I have never hidden my respect for Prof. Wole Soyinka but i lost some,when as an elder stateman and a noble laureate,he critisized and antagonised everything GEJ government stood for and yet GEJ embraced him with open arms.As if that wasn't enough,he went personal with GEJs family,hurling all sorts of insult on the wife and even calling the wife of a sitting president a 'shippopotamus',and i thought that was the height of rascalism,obviously where some unguided youths learnt how to insult leaders.Then along came Peter Obi and it seems Wole was highered to almost always attack Peter Obi against a known serial certificate forger,whom has lots of baggages to deal with.All of a sudden Wole lost his voice,agreed,he owes Tinubu some gratitude,for watching his back when as a co member of NADECO during Abachas regime and afterwards the financial assistance granted to him. It seems Wole has now choosen the part of ignominy,he now stands the risk of losing all he has achieved as a human right crusader,indeed 'the man died'in all who keeps quiet in a period of social injustices,pronounced corruption and bad governance!

(1) (Reply)

Governor Alia To Monitor Public Behavior In Benue / IPOB Insists On May 30 Sit-at-home In South-east / The New National Anthem Of Old: My View

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.