Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,921 members, 7,863,232 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:32 PM

European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell (163 Views)

EU Has To Choose Between Supporting International Rule Of Law Or Isreal / Ukrainian President Zelenskyy Signs Formal Request To Join The European Union / China And Russia Prepare To Accept Taliban Rule Of Afghanistan(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell by God1000(m): 7:53pm On May 25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYSiga7cu8

The European Union's foreign affairs chief, Josep Borrell, has said that the bloc faces a "difficult" choice between its support for the rule of law and its support for Israel, just minutes after the ICJ ruled Israeli forces should halt their offensive in Rafah.

Speaking during a European University Institute (EUI) event in Florence, Borrell said: "Let's see which is going to be the action of the European Union to the ruling of the International Court of Justice that has been issued today, which is going to be our position?"

"We will have to choose between our support to the international institutions and the rule of law, or our support to Israel, and both things is going to be quite difficult to make compatible," he added.

It came just minutes after the Hague-based top UN court called on Israel to "halt its military offensive in Rafah", citing that the Palestinian people were at an "immediate risk".

The UN estimates that some 1.4 million Palestinians are sheltering from war in the southern Gazan town, which Israel claims is Hamas' last stronghold.

Borrell also acknowledged that the EU's decision-making when it came to its response to the war in Gaza had been too sluggish due to deep rifts between EU capitals' stance on the conflict.

He called for a change to the EU's decision-making processes on foreign policy, which requires the unanimous backing of all 27 leaders.

Hungary has notably blocked or delayed key EU initiatives in response to the war, including sanctions on violent Israeli settlers as well as a joint communication calling on Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu to abandon plans to invade Rafah.

Borrell's opening speech was also interrupted by pro-Palestinian protesters who slammed the EU's response to the devastation and loss of life in Gaza, to whom the EU's top diplomat responded: "I understand perfectly the concern being expressed."

Recognition of Palestine is 'contrary' to supporting terrorism
Reacting to the scathing Israeli criticism of Spain, Ireland and Norway's decision to recognise the State of Palestine, announced Wednesday, Borrell firmly rebuked foreign minister Israel Katz's accusation that the move would send a message that "terrorism pays."

"For me one thing is clear, recognition is not supporting Hamas," Borrell said. "And on that, I have to really contest the positions expressed by the Israeli government saying that recognition is a gift to Hamas, or supporting terrorism. Just on the contrary."

"It's unfounded, completely unfounded and unacceptable to say that recognition - be or not counter-productive - is a matter of giving gifts to Hamas or expressing anti-Semitism, nothing of that."

He affirmed that the
recognition was designed to bolster the EU's support to the Fatah-led Palestinian Authority, seen as a counter-movement to Hamas in the Palestinian territories.

He described the Palestinian Authority as the "nucleus of a future possible Palestinian state."

Borrell named Slovenia as one of a group of EU countries that could follow Spain and Ireland's path, but acknowledged that other member states believe that the recognition comes at a "counterproductive" moment.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2024/05/24/eu-faces-difficult-choice-between-support-to-rule-of-law-or-support-to-israel-borrell

Nlfpmod

Re: European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell by God1000(m): 7:54pm On May 25
I'm happy that EU is gradually waking up to reality, they need to totally break away from US control and start doing the right thing.

They should stop trying to please Israel that can never be pleased
Re: European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell by lordm(m): 7:55pm On May 25
Huge decision to make
Re: European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell by Righteousness2(m): 7:58pm On May 25
There are No middle Grounds.
You must stand somewhere
EU and all Humanity must choose between supporting

LIGHT vs Darkness

Defenders of Human Lives vs TERRORISTS, Killers, Rapers, Etc

GOOD vs Evil

GOD ALMIGHTY or the devil
Sanity or Insanity

Reality vs Pallywood

ISRAEL or Terrorists

I STAND WITH GOD!
I STAND WITH LIGHT
I STAND WITH VALUERS OF LIFE.

I Cannot be Deceived! Neither will I Deceive myself.

Today, Tommorrow, Next tommorrow and Forever,
I STAND WITH ISRAEL 1000%.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell by puremaker7(m): 9:13pm On May 25
Righteousness2:
There are No middle Grounds.
You must stand somewhere
EU and all Humanity must choose between supporting

LIGHT vs Darkness

Defenders of Human Lives vs TERRORISTS, Killers, Rapers, Etc

GOOD vs Evil

GOD ALMIGHTY or the devil
Sanity or Insanity

Reality vs Pallywood

ISRAEL or Terrorists

I STAND WITH GOD!
I STAND WITH LIGHT
I STAND WITH VALUERS OF LIFE.

I Cannot be Deceived! Neither will I Deceive myself.

Today, Tommorrow, Next tommorrow and Forever,
I STAND WITH ISRAEL 1000%.

Robot
Re: European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell by God1000(m): 9:38pm On May 25
Nlfpmod
Re: European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell by tolexy007(m): 9:47pm On May 25
Corrupt EU
Re: European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell by SS777(m): 10:18pm On May 25
God1000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYSiga7cu8

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2024/05/24/eu-faces-difficult-choice-between-support-to-rule-of-law-or-support-to-israel-borrell

God himself in our eyes already started abolishing the demonic isrealhell sporsor state of the west,all the noise the terrorist isrealhell make against Hezbollah couldn't hold water.
Re: European union Must Choose Between Supporting Rule of Law Or Israel, Borrell by Somilat: 10:51am On May 26
why did he have to wait for the court?

surely a court rule doesn't decide your morality..........

(1) (Reply)

Burundi Prepares For Elections Amid Covid-19 Pandemic / Insurrection Act Will Be Used To Cancel Nov. Election / Gantz Tells Army To Step Up Preparations, As West Bank Annexation Looms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.