Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,912 members, 7,863,162 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:26 PM

Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. (5748 Views)

Lyon vs Bayern Munich: UCL (0 - 3) On 19th August 2020 / Manchester City Vs Lyon : UCL ( 1 - 3) On 15th August 2020 / Barcelona Vs Lyon: UCL (5 - 1) On 13th March 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 8:50pm On May 25
Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERRbovFJNA4?si=5wStHpr4oVFnvjQn

Barca Avenge Lyon Defeats To Win Third Women’s Champions League

Securing their third Champions League trophy from five final appearances across the last six seasons, Barcelona demonstrated that they are the new powerhouse of the women's game.

Aitana Bonmati and Alexia Putellas struck to earn Barcelona their third women’s Champions League trophy, securing a 2-0 triumph over record eight-time winners Lyon on Saturday.

The defending champions had never beaten the French giants, losing in the 2019 and 2022 finals against them, but finally succeeded in Bilbao to compete a spectacular quadruple this season in coach Jonatan Giraldez’s last match in charge.

Bonmati pounced after 63 minutes and substitute Putellas finished the job in stoppage time to avenge Barcelona’s prior defeats by Sonia Bompastor’s side.

Securing their third Champions League trophy from five final appearances across the last six seasons, Barcelona demonstrated that they are the new powerhouse of the women’s game.

“(It’s) a dream day, it is difficult to explain with words the feeling I have now. It is a special moment,” said Giraldez.

“It is one of happiest days of my life.”

Barca’s stars had insisted that this time they were capable of beating Lyon, adding experience and mental strength to their undoubted talent, and so it proved at a packed San Mames.

Backed by the vast majority of a 51,000 record crowd at a women’s Champions League final, Bonmati and her side completed one of the few challenges remaining to them.

“It’s the first time we’ve beaten Lyon. I’m proud of the team, and we know that with these fans we have, we can’t fail,” Bonmati told DAZN.

“It’s incredible what we’re living through as a team, I’m so lucky… to see we’re creating that for so many people, the historic amount of fans we’ve brought, it’s the proudest I’ve felt, I wouldn’t change it for anything.”

Giraldez started Mariona Caldentey in attack and moved Fridolina Rolfo to left-back, dropping Ona Batlle to the bench alongside two-time Ballon d’Or winner Putellas.

Lyon left Ada Hegerberg started on the bench too, with the all-time top scorer in the competition’s history struggling for form after injury.

Lucy Bronze deflected a ball onto her own crossbar and Lyon’s towering captain Wendie Renard hit the outside of the post as Barcelona suffered a couple of early jitters.

After going four goals down by half-time in the 2019 final and three down in 2022, this time the Catalans dug deep to hold it together at the back.

Breakthrough

Barca threatened increasingly at the other end. Patri Guijarro, who scored twice in last year’s final against Wolfsburg, broke in for their first big chance after half an hour.

Christiane Endler saved and Selma Bacha cleared the ball off the line after it rebounded back towards goal.

Barca’s Caroline Graham Hansen, in sparkling form this season, gave left-back Bacha a torrid time and had 11-time finalist Renard backpedalling fearfully near the end of the first half, but dragged her shot wide.

Barcelona made their quality count after the hour mark when Bonmati sent them ahead.

The Ballon d’Or winner had been quiet but arrived to collect Caldentey’s clever pass and burst into the area.

Bonmati’s low shot deflected off Vanessa Gilles and flew over the helpless Endler, for her sixth goal of the tournament.

Champions League top goalscorer Kadidiatou Diani curled agonisingly over for Lyon as Bompastor’s side tried to fight back. Hegerberg headed off target as Lyon’s chances ebbed away.

“We have to recognise Barcelona had a great match and deserved to win even though it’s hard to accept it,” said Bompastor, tipped to join Chelsea next season, although she stayed tight-lipped on her future.

“We lacked attacking efficiency, we should have scored a goal.”

Eventually Putellas, on as a late substitute, put on the captain’s armband and settled the game by rifling into the top corner to get Barcelona’s celebrations started early.

“Obviously it’s a dream come true, what we have achieved,” said Putellas after her goal locked in Barcelona’s quadruple.

Bronze who won the competition for the fifth time — including three times with Lyon — praised Putellas.

“She’s the captain of the team, she’s the ‘queen’ of Barcelona for a reason,” said Bronze.

“She’s got the quality to do that in the last minute of the Champions League final when we were up against it at the end and just sealed the win for us.”

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/05/25/barca-avenge-lyon-defeats-to-win-third-womens-champions-league/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 8:50pm On May 25
Asisat Oshoala has thus won her third Champions League. She played enough games (and scored goals) to earn a medal (you can see her in the official Barcelona picture).

Even though she has moved to Bay FC in the US, Barcelona put her jersey in their dressing room and Barca fans took her jersey to the stadium (and one even added her name to the squad list).

Asisat Oshoala is the only African player to have won the UEFA Women's Champions League.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 8:51pm On May 25
Lineup.

1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 9:44pm On May 25
1) Aitana Bonmati (aka Aitana Goatmati) was the player of the match.

2) Message from Lionel Messi.

3) Captain Alexia Putellas is the cheerleader.

4) Spanish-Nigerian star Vicky Lopez.

1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 9:44pm On May 25
Coach Jonathan Giraldez is leaving on a high. He is going to coach in the US league next season.

4 Likes 1 Share

Record attendance for a final.

3rd photo) Ingrid Engen and Maria Pillar (Mapi) Leon.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 9:55pm On May 25
Asisat Oshoala predicted that Caroline Graham Hanson (CGH) would provide an assist, but that didn't happen.

Picture 2) Aitana carrying CGH's leg.

Pictures 3 and 4) Past winners of the Champions League.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 5:33am On May 26
Responses to Oshoala's post from current Barcelona stars Ingrid Engen and Ona Batlle, former Barcelona star (now with Arsenal) Laia Codina, former Arsenal star (now with Bay FC) Jen Beattie and Super Falcons goalkeeper Chiamaka Nnadozie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by Gbadugbakun(m): 5:34am On May 26
grin
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 5:40am On May 26
Asisat Oshoala's bicycle kick nutmeg goal against Benfica during the group stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpvq2P3Cg2c?si=tnQL_BZA9A3NeL29
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by Neimarjr: 5:46am On May 26
Visca Barca grin
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by COOL10(m): 5:52am On May 26
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by mysticwarrior(m): 5:56am On May 26
Congratulations oshoala and Vicky Lopez, these Nigerian women are making us proud.

3 Likes

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by xpressionx(m): 5:58am On May 26
What Barca men couldn't do for years now, their women are doing it.

Nairaland feminists come and beat your breast sorry chest here grin

5 Likes

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by triple996(m): 6:00am On May 26
For those saying congrats to shoala, just know that she left Barcelona last season.
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by Bashirkareem31: 6:15am On May 26
It seems FC barcelona men and women glory cannot flourish at the same time.Where was the women team during the glory days off the blaugrana?
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 6:20am On May 26
List of UEFA Champions League finals.

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by Bfly: 6:47am On May 26
naptu2:
Asisat Oshoala has thus won her third Champions League. She played enough games (and scored goals) to earn a medal (you can see her in the official Barcelona picture).

Even though she has moved to Bay FC in the US, Barcelona put her jersey in their dressing room and Barca fans took her jersey to the stadium (and one even added her name to the squad list).

Asisat Oshoala is the only African player to have won the UEFA Women's Champions League.

Wake up from slumbering, Baba.
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 6:49am On May 26
Bfly:

Wake up from slumbering, Baba.

Failed attempt to troll.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 6:50am On May 26
Asisat Oshoala is now the only African, man or woman, to win 3 UEFA Champions League titles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by Bfly: 6:55am On May 26
naptu2:

Failed attempt to troll.

Not a troll, let me shalaye to you, Asisat is out of that squad. Not even on loan. Your love for asisat shouldn’t blind you. You won’t find this honour in her profile. Come to reality pls.
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by Iqtest: 7:10am On May 26
naptu2:
Asisat Oshoala is now the only African, man or woman, to win 3 UEFA Champions League titles.
Stop the misinformation, Asisat Oshoala wasn't part of the squad, she wasn't sent on loan rather she was sold. Hence she was deregistered from the squad list.
You can check it out on Google, or check out her Wikipedia profile too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by AcadaWriter: 7:13am On May 26
Lineup.
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by Rekyz(m): 7:17am On May 26
triple996:
For those saying congrats to shoala, just know that she left Barcelona last season.
You know little or nothing. Oshoala is part of the medals

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 7:20am On May 26
Bfly:

Not a troll, let me shalaye to you, Asisat is out of that squad. Not even on loan. Your love for asisat shouldn’t blind you. You won’t find this honour in her profile. Come to reality pls.

Iqtest:

Stop the misinformation, Asisat Oshoala wasn't part of the squad, she wasn't sent on loan rather she was sold. Hence she was deregistered from the squad list.
You can check it out on Google, or check out her Wikipedia profile too

Just in case you are not trying to troll (but I don't believe you, I know you are trolling because this is basic football knowledge), read this and do your research.

Asisat Oshoala was a registered member of the Barcelona squad. That's why players that have registered for the Champions League with one team are ineligible to play in the same Champions League with another team.

Barcelona have already confirmed it, so I am not interested in your trolling.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 7:23am On May 26
Route to the final 1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 7:23am On May 26
Route to the final 2

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by Iqtest: 7:38am On May 26
naptu2:

Just in case you are not trying to troll (but I don't believe you, I know you are trolling because this is basic football knowledge), read this and do your research.

Asisat Oshoala was a registered member of the Barcelona squad. That's why players that have registered for the Champions League with one team are ineligible to play in the same Champions League with another team.

Barcelona have already confirmed it, so I am not interested in your trolling.
I'm not a troll, I'm a culer. I follow both men's and women's football. Cancelo's scenario was different. He was on loan after playing half of the season, hence he wasn't deregistered from the squad. But Agba baller was sold hence she was deregistered from the squad list.
Pls check out the squad list from uefa website to confirm.
Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 7:44am On May 26
Iqtest:

I'm not a troll, I'm a culer. I follow both men's and women's football. Cancelo's scenario was different. He was on loan after playing half of the season, hence he wasn't deregistered from the squad. But Agba baller was sold hence she was deregistered from the squad list.
Pls check out the squad list from uefa website to confirm.

For the last time (after this I am not responding) it doesn't matter if she was deregistered

UEFA gives the winner 40 gold medals and there is no restriction on who can get a medal (it's up to the team to decide) and Barcelona has decided that she is getting a medal

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by naptu2: 7:49am On May 26
Final.

Re: Barcelona Beats Lyon 2-0 To Win The Women's Champions League. by Krismas(m): 7:55am On May 26
grin lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

UCL: CFR Cluj Vs Manchester United (1 - 2) On Tuesday October-2-2012 / Happy Birthday Dayokanu / Ligue1 Prediction And Betting Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.