Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,970 members, 7,863,452 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:01 PM

Doublethink; A Mind-bender - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Doublethink; A Mind-bender (51 Views)

Kwara States Citizen Finally Call On Leader Of(iron Bender) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Doublethink; A Mind-bender by BalogunIdowu(m): 3:53pm On May 26
DOUBLETHINK; A MIND-BENDER

Feels good to make another post in a while. I am not sure how much or if at all my write-ups are being missed (laughs). I bet you're trying to add that thought of my previous statement to whatever you were thinking - doublethink.

The concept of "doublethink" is quite different from the context used above. I first came across the term in the 2011 drama titled "Detachment" with lead cast actor, Adrian Broody as 'Henry Barthes' - a high school substitute teacher. However, the term was originally used by George Orwell in his book titled "1984" released in 1949.

What essentially does this imply,
To think two things simultaneously? Well, not too far from it. Merriam-Webster defines Doublethink as "a simultaneous belief in two contradictory ideas" or simply to say "deliberately believing in lies while they are false". This concept is somewhat becoming a parcel of thoughts and eventually actions directly or through influence.

Examples in our daily lives abound, for instance:
1. I need surgery to be beautiful or acceptable
2. I can only do fraud to make money
3. To be popular, I should lose by self decency
4. Women are whores and should not be trusted
5. Men who don't earn enough should meet a woman for marriage and more

This concept, I must say is of more relevance today than it has been due to several reasons to mention a few:
1. Ease to access information (both relevant and unnecessary),
2. Different ideals and agendas being pushed through people
3. Exposure to to different content (podcasts, entertainment videos, etc)

We need to protect our mindset from these infectious thoughts that are out there like wildfire by redefining our values, beliefs, and views. These can be through reading, self-awareness, God consciousness, and will for positive impact amongst others.

To access some of my previous writings
https:///IndigenousGeniuss

#mindset #doublethink #development #growth

Idowu I. Balogun
IndigenousGenious

(1) (Reply)

Happy Children's Day Celebration To Nigerian Children / Is Your Antivirus Adequate? What Makes The Best Antivirus Better? / Hair Transplant In Turkey: A Top Choice At Worbimed Clinic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.