Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,977 members, 7,863,482 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:39 PM

Open Corruption In The Nigeria Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Corruption In The Nigeria Police (168 Views)

Atiku Is A Case Study On Corruption In USA By Homeland Security. Pics / The Nigeria Police: 1947 Vs 2018 / "The Nigeria Air MUST FAIL" - Oby Ezekwesili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Corruption In The Nigeria Police by Tolupage(m): 4:15pm On May 26
I saw this thread earlier today, where the OP narrated his experience when he approached the NPF to help track and recover a stolen phone.

https://www.nairaland.com/8103675/ever-tracked-stolen-phone-before

Going through the thread, quite a number of people have similar experience with the police which include

1. The NPF demands a sort of fee to track your stolen phone.

2. Having found the location, they now charge you "mobilization fee" to effect arrest of the suspects

3. If suspects are caught, s/he is made to pay for all the expenses and more.

Now here are some things that bug me

1. why would the police charge a citizen who reports a stolen item to help in it recocery - ain't that their primary responsibility?

If they can't protect lives and property, they should be proactive hunting the criminals

2. If after paying for tracking the device, one has to "mobilize them" before they help in retrieving it, isn't that concerning??

Now that we have a know location of a suspect, but they'd rather sit back and do nothing cause they weren't mobilized? Then WTF is their job.

It's even funny how they charge in batches, if after tracking you don't mobilize them, your 30 - 50k is gone... So you're forced to mobilize them just so you don't lose the tracking fee.

3. After apprehending a suspect, they never seem to prosecute such people, they just demand the stolen items and some added fee, ain't that corruption?

Finally, I'll say with this same mindset of the NPF, if a building is being robbed and one goes to report at the station, I strongly feel the person will be charged for mobilization and miscellaneous.

This heinous act seems to be an open secret and yet the NPF is not bothered about it.

Truth be told, I really feel sorry for the country where the citizens pay tax to fund salary of the police but have to pay the police directly to perform their duties.

Re: Open Corruption In The Nigeria Police by immortalcrown(m): 4:22pm On May 26
Nigeria is rotten.
Re: Open Corruption In The Nigeria Police by smileyoo: 5:13pm On May 26
everything about Nigeria is just nauseating, but the most disgusting thing about these societal ills, is that the masses who are the direct victims of this ugly system are also the defenders of the system..
go to the prison centers, most of the inmates are awaiting trial for years.
it's a miracle how Nigerians are still surviving when everything seems to be working against their survival.
Re: Open Corruption In The Nigeria Police by Tolupage(m): 6:03pm On May 26
smileyoo:
everything about Nigeria is just nauseating, but the most disgusting thing about these societal ills, is that the masses who are the direct victims of this ugly system are also the defenders of the system..
go to the prison centers, most of the inmates are awaiting trial for years.
it's a miracle how Nigerians are still surviving when everything seems to be working against their survival.

Absolutely spot on

NL is a good example, you'd be surprised at the energy and enthusiasm that someone whose direct benefit from corrupt system barely surpass the minimum wage put into defending the system.

Can't we all think of greater good?

(1) (Reply)

TAX: Presidential Panel Recommends ₦800/$ FX Rate For Customs Clearing / Suspended Police Chief,abba Kyari Released After 27months In Detention / WATCH: President Ruto - Friends Of Kenya Paid For My Private Jet To The U.S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.