Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,941 members, 7,863,324 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:26 PM

A lesson from my Father - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A lesson from my Father (481 Views)

Woman Took Her Drunk Husband To A Mortuary To Teach Him A Lesson / The Fate Of Tunde Thomas! A Lesson For Men!! / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A lesson from my Father by Sapasenator: 5:25pm On May 26
I want to share a valuable lesson I learned from observing my father while growing up. My dad was the most hardworking person I’ve ever known. He never missed a day of work and always did his job to perfection. He worked at the same company for over 30 years and climbed his way up to become a departmental manager.

I remember visiting him at work, feeling so proud of his well-furnished office, his two official cars, and his drivers. He loved his job and wore his sense of pride like a badge every day he went to work.

Our relatives and extended family members would often visit him at his office, seeking various forms of help. Sometimes, when he got home, he'd still have that office aura about him, barking orders at us like we were his subordinates. He had no hobbies or business interests outside of work.

Then, my dad had to retire early due to some nasty power struggles at work that involved juju and he was scared for his life. After retiring, he tried his hand at business, only to find he had zero knowledge about it. Every venture and investment failed until he squandered all his retirement money, About N6million Naira at that time, all gone. It was like watching a fish out of water—completely lost and confused without his job.

From this, I’ve learned a few key lessons:

Nothing Truly Belongs to You at Work: No matter how good your current employment is, nothing truly belongs to you. The fancy office, nice salary, official cars, secretary, and assistants—none of it is yours. It’s all an illusion of ownership. The day you leave, it’s all gone and someone else takes your place.

Your Work Mostly Benefits Others: At work, you're spending your energy to increase someone else’s wealth most of the time. If you're not smart, you end up with nothing for yourself.

Develop an Entrepreneurial Mindset: While at work, start a side business as a hobby, no matter how small. This is the time to experiment with your entrepreneurial skills. If you fail, at least you learned something and still have your job as a backup. Don’t wait until you lose your job to try something new.

Loyalty to Yourself First: No matter where I work, I’m always loyal to myself first, even though I pretend otherwise. I use everything to my advantage—transporters, distributors, suppliers, colleagues. Every interaction is an opportunity to seek an advantage for myself. I once had a side hustle that earned me N100k in a day, and I didn’t touch my paycheck for over a year.

Side Hustles Can Grow Big: The side hustle you start while working full-time can transform into something big. Eventually, you can transition into your own business.

A. Your efforts don’t really matter; even if you work twice as hard, your salary stays the same. It's like running on a treadmill—you’re putting in the effort but not going anywhere.
B. Your salary is as stubborn as a mule; it won't budge even if the prices of goods and services skyrocket. Who needs a cost-of-living adjustment, right?
C. You don’t get rewarded even if your efforts lead to huge profits for the company. It's like baking a cake and watching someone else eat it.

To sum up, always have an entrepreneurial mentality and never think like an employee. It’s a dangerous way to think. Use every interaction to get a personal advantage and always be on the lookout for opportunities. Never get too comfortable in your job.

I’ve come to utterly despise working for others in a paid job. It dictates where you live and who you meet daily. Take Lagos, for example—crowded and stressful, yet many employees have no choice but to live there, enslaved by their jobs. Use your paid job as a stepping stone, not a final destination. It is a selfish world and you have to be intentionally selfish to succeed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A lesson from my Father by Writervick(m): 5:27pm On May 26
Good one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A lesson from my Father by Wealthyonos(m): 5:38pm On May 26
This is very important. I'm refreshed
Re: A lesson from my Father by Sapasenator: 5:50pm On May 26
Wealthyonos:
This is very important. I'm refreshed

Thanks, It's a valuable lesson that has remained with me. Now, I can live anywhere in the world and still work and make my money with a growing business.

1 Like

Re: A lesson from my Father by EreluRoz: 5:50pm On May 26
Hope you guys have his back now. Maybe he didn't invest properly.
Re: A lesson from my Father by Sapasenator: 6:31pm On May 26
EreluRoz:
Hope you guys have his back now. Maybe he didn't invest properly.

I set him up with a house and cars. Was planning to take him abroad when he unfortunately passed.

1 Like

Re: A lesson from my Father by EreluRoz: 6:34pm On May 26
Sapasenator:

I set him up with a house and cars. Was planning to take him abroad when he unfortunately passed.
Eiya you did your best but why should you even be thinking of taking him abroad, he wouldn't have loved the idea.

You did well, your kids will do more for you, that's the rules of life.

1 Like

Re: A lesson from my Father by Sapasenator: 6:38pm On May 26
EreluRoz:
Eiya you did your best but why should you even be thinking of taking him abroad, he wouldn't have loved the idea.

You did well, your kids will do more for you, that's the rules of life.

Just taking him on a vacation abroad so he’ll have some bragging rights and juicy stories to share with his friends when he gets back.

1 Like

Re: A lesson from my Father by EreluRoz: 6:45pm On May 26
Sapasenator:

Just taking him on a vacation abroad so he’ll have some bragging rights and juicy stories to share with his friends when he gets back.
Okay, that sounds good. Kudos
Re: A lesson from my Father by henrimoto(m): 9:00pm On May 26
... "It is a selfish world and you have to be selfish to succeed"

Hmnn.. Sapa the senator. Nice one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A lesson from my Father by Sapasenator: 10:00pm On May 26
henrimoto:
... "It is a selfish world and you have to be selfish to succeed"

Hmnn.. Sapa the senator. Nice one.

If you are a nice guy, you have to be intentionally selfish. In every interaction or relationship always ask the silent question " What is in it for me"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A lesson from my Father by henrimoto(m): 6:46am On May 27
Sapasenator:

If you are nice guy, you have to be intentionally selfish. In every interaction or relationship always ask the silent question " what is in it for me"
I thought being selfish is wrong. I thought thinking more of one's self is not proper but you are giving us a new direction of thought especially when it comes to business.

Thank you! Sapa The Senator.
Re: A lesson from my Father by Sapasenator: 6:53am On May 27
henrimoto:
I thought being selfish is wrong. I thought thinking more of one's self is not proper but you are giving us a new direction of thought especially when it comes to business.

Most people claim being selfish is wrong but they are always selfish in their actions and conducts. I honestly don't listen to people, I watch their actions.

When you get to the top, you can afford to be a philanthropist and preach morality but my brother, do everything you can to succeed. For me, it is a matter of life and death.

2 Likes

Re: A lesson from my Father by Sapasenator: 6:54am On May 27
henrimoto:

The pastors that preach against selfishness are the most selfish in the world, they only receive but never give out from their PERSONAL money. I don't listen to them.

1 Like

Re: A lesson from my Father by henrimoto(m): 8:19am On May 27
Sapasenator:

Most people claim being selfish is wrong but they are always selfish in their actions and conducts. I honestly don't listen to people, I watch their actions.

When you get to the top, you can afford to be a philanthropist and preach morality but my brother, do everything you can to succeed. For me, it is a matter of life and death.

Truth and Wisdom full this your comment. Thank you for this.

Sapa The Senator, is that really your pics?
Re: A lesson from my Father by Sapasenator: 7:02pm On May 27
henrimoto:
Truth and Wisdom full this your comment. Thank you for this.

Sapa The Senator, is that really your pics?

Yes na. I hat nothing to hide cool

1 Like

Re: A lesson from my Father by Villa12(m): 8:51pm On May 27
EreluRoz:

You did well, [b]your kids will do more for you, that's the rules of life.
[/b]this is fallacy. I know a man and a woman that took good care of their parents. They love and cherish their parents. The man, his father died in his hands. The woman, her mother died under her roof where she was taking care of her. But do you know what? These couple their first and second son abandon them without looking back. The other children are still struggling to survive but the two that are doing fine had abandon them. This is not a movie but reality. While some parents won't even take care of their children but the children would still take care of them.

This life is unpredictable

1 Like

Re: A lesson from my Father by ibechris(m): 9:33pm On May 27
Side income is the fastest way to riches.
Re: A lesson from my Father by Sapasenator: 9:47pm On May 27
ibechris:
Side income is the fastest way to riches.

I totally agree. Also, you learn valuable business lessons while still working.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Plot Of Land For Sale Ingrowing Estate Around Mowe/redemption Camp Axis With C O / Very Decent Mini-flat To Let In Aboru Iyana Ipaja Axis I50k/yr With Pictures / TV: What Really Can You Watch Sef

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.