Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,257 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Help: Sudden Reduction In Hard Disk Size - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help: Sudden Reduction In Hard Disk Size (1271 Views)

Uk Arrival!!! Samsung 270e Intel Core I3 4gb Ram 500gb Hard Disk For 45k Only / Hp Pavilion G7 17.3 Inches 4gb Ram, 500gb Hard Disk Uk Used For Sale / How To Replace Internal Hard Disk With Extenal Usb Hard Disk In Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Sudden Reduction In Hard Disk Size by earthrealm(m): 10:58am On Sep 24, 2007
guys pls, cud some1 help me with this prob.

my pc free hhard disk space just shrunk 4rm 78g down to 14.6g under 4hrs!!!,

i have run disk check/defragmenter, still no change,

my os is vista home basic 1g ram hp pavillion, 120g hdd

does any body have any idea on the cause/how 2 correct it,
tried sys restore, but somehow all my previous restore points are gone,

i tried installing imesh, <a p2p prograame, a couple of times n the programe rfused to install completely, it will install n get to a certain level, then it will hang/freeze the installation, i used task manager to cancel the installation process but it cudnt stop it, i had 2 had reboot, this happen twice>, it was after my 2nd hard reboot that i noticed that my free hard disk space had shrunk to a mere 14.5g, from its former 76g,

guys hit me up if u gat a solution, i just have 2 options, either search manually for the files clogging up my hdd or do a total sys recovery n i dont wanna do that just yet
Re: Help: Sudden Reduction In Hard Disk Size by oybv101: 12:52pm On Sep 24, 2007
Download sequoia view.

http://www.win.tue.nl/cgi-bin/usr/sequoia/download3.cgi

this application will create a visual mage of your hard disk and the files taking up space.

you will proably find a 20gb .tmp file.
if you use kaspersky , you may find that its the kaspersky log file(this has happened to me before- you will have to trim th file from within kaspersky)

before deleting any file, google it to make sure you are not deleting a critical system file. (do not touch any file with a .sys extension.) you can try moving the files to the recycle bin and restarting your system. if you restart successfully, you can probably delete the file.

you may find that you have to 'run in compatibility mode for xp sp2 to install and run the app.then again, maybe not.

once i tried to force an install of windowblind_public and the same thing happened-8gb vanished!.
Re: Help: Sudden Reduction In Hard Disk Size by earthrealm(m): 2:41pm On Sep 24, 2007
ok thanks bro will try it out,,,,,,so same thing has happened 2 u?, well mine is a whooping 60gig loss of hard disk space, will try out ur advice n see
thanks
Re: Help: Sudden Reduction In Hard Disk Size by earthrealm(m): 8:54am On Sep 25, 2007
ok, the stuff worked, the imesh programme was hogging 69.5gig of my hdd!!,
i was able to delete it, thanks a mil

(1) (Reply)

World's Thinnest Laptop / Engineers In The House Pls Kindly Take A Look At This: / Mac Os X 10.7.4 (11e53) Lion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.