Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,152 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Yoruba Dialects - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Dialects (11485 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / List Of Yoruba Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Dialects by odumchi: 8:02am On Nov 27, 2011
Ki lo se! I know there are many dialects in the Yoruba language, but I'm sure most of us have not seen or heard all of them. So in an attempt to increase our understanding of Yoruba, lets try and translate the following sentences each into a dialect.

The rules are you must use a different dialect each time until all (or as many as possible) have been used.

Hello, how are you?

Do you want to eat now?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by odumchi: 8:04am On Nov 27, 2011
I'll start. Since I Know virtually no Yoruba, I'll only be able to do the first one.

I assume this is Central Yoruba.

Hello, How are you?
Ba wo ni?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Emmyk(m): 1:52pm On Nov 27, 2011
Okun, baworin¿
Se loyan rofe jeun¿
#YagbaWest
Re: Yoruba Dialects by aljharem1: 2:09pm On Nov 27, 2011
cool mod
Re: Yoruba Dialects by llbhuds: 2:58pm On Nov 27, 2011
OKUN OOO
KABI SERII grin grin

OWE / KABBA
owe meleboo,
Re: Yoruba Dialects by tpia5: 4:06pm On Nov 27, 2011
odumchi:

Since I Know virtually no Yoruba

then why does the matter interest you?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by odumchi: 4:29pm On Nov 27, 2011
tpia@:

then why does the matter interest you?

I don't have to know a language for it to interest me. Anyway, you still havent shown us your own dialect.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Dialects by Emmyk(m): 5:16pm On Nov 27, 2011
llbhuds:

OKUN OOO
KABI SERII grin grin

OWE / KABBA
owe meleboo,
sorry is that highlighted DO YOU WANNA EAT NOW
Re: Yoruba Dialects by odumchi: 5:27pm On Nov 27, 2011
Is Yagba west a LGA?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Emmyk(m): 5:59pm On Nov 27, 2011
Sure, and the language and people from there are called Yagba
Re: Yoruba Dialects by odumchi: 10:27pm On Nov 27, 2011
Oh ok. So how many dialects are there in Yoruba? And I'd like to see Ekiti or even Ijebu.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by llbhuds: 8:58am On Nov 28, 2011
Emmyk:

sorry is that highlighted DO YOU WANNA EAT NOW

NO,  Its a preamble to an eulogy to the native speakers of the language OWE and the people of Kabba town
Re: Yoruba Dialects by KnowAll(m): 3:26pm On Nov 28, 2011
“Boo ni” - How are you

Ibadan Yoruba

(pronounced as o in the English language)
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 28, 2011
Iffy thread.

undecided
Re: Yoruba Dialects by GWslim(f): 5:54pm On Nov 28, 2011

Hello, how are you?

Ba wo ni kan

Do you want to eat now?

So fe jenu ni
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 28, 2011
GWslim:

Hello, how are you?

Ba wo ni kan

Do you want to eat now?

So fe jenu ni

Lawd have mercy!! angry
Re: Yoruba Dialects by silibaba: 5:58pm On Nov 28, 2011
NONSENSE TOPIC.

PLS DO BETTER NEXT TIME angry angry angry angry
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Superuser(m): 6:04pm On Nov 28, 2011
Hello, how are you?

Do you want to eat now?

1. (Ibadan- Oyo state)
Nle, Boo ni o?

So o jeun

2. (Ifon-Ondo state)
Le, Se we sie?

Wa ka jeun

LOL
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Dgunnerz(m): 6:17pm On Nov 28, 2011
GWslim:

Hello, how are you?

Ba wo ni kan

Do you want to eat now?

So fe jenu ni

LWMDFH.

Hello, how are you?
Eloo,bawo ni?

Do you want to eat now?
Se o fe jeun ni isiyin?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2011
Bawo,so wapa ?
Se o fe jeun nisin ?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Wallie(m): 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2011
I once asked an acquaintance that said she's of Yoruba origin but grew up Ivory Coast how she would say "I want to eat" and she said "mo fe dunu", which literally translates to "I want to make my belly happy."

I guess she would be considered Agun or Ajase? But I know the francophones call them “Anago.”
Re: Yoruba Dialects by nomorename(f): 7:44pm On Nov 28, 2011
Okay I need this translated to Yoruba, 'another person's hair'.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 28, 2011
nomorename:

Okay I need this translated to Yoruba, 'another person's hair'.

Mo fe j'oko - if addressing a guy
Mo fe j'obo - if addressing a girl
Re: Yoruba Dialects by hbrednic: 7:58pm On Nov 28, 2011
okUN alhaja = LESBIAN

OBOW YEE = treasure island

kehinde = twins
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 28, 2011
Youba dialects

North-West Yoruba (NWY).
[/b]Abẹokuta, Ibadan, Ọyọ, Ogun and Lagos (Eko) areas

[b]Central Yoruba (CY)
[/b]Igbomina, Yagba, Ilésà, Ifẹ, Ekiti, Akurẹ, Ẹfọn, and Ijẹbu areas.

[b]South-East Yoruba (SEY)
[/b]Okitipupa, Ilaje, Ondo, Ọwọ, Ikarẹ, Ṣagamu, and parts of Ijẹbu.

[b]North-West Yoruba is historically a part of the Ọyọ empire.
In NWY dialects, Proto-Yoruba /gh/ (the velar fricative [ɣ]) and /gw/ have merged into /w/; the upper vowels /i ̣/ and /ụ/ were raised and merged with /i/ and /u/, just as their nasal counterparts, resulting in a vowel system with seven oral and three nasal vowels. Ethnographically, traditional government is based on a division of power between civil and war chiefs; lineage and descent are unilineal and agnatic.

South-East Yoruba was probably associated with the expansion of the Benin Empire
after c. 1450 AD.[5] In contrast to NWY, lineage and descent are largely multilineal and cognatic, and the division of titles into war and civil is unknown. Linguistically, SEY has retained the /gh/ and /gw/ contrast, while it has lowered the nasal vowels /ịn/ and /ụn/ to /ẹn/ and /ọn/, respectively. SEY has collapsed the second and third person plural pronominal forms; thus, àn án wá can mean either 'you (pl.) came' or 'they came' in SEY dialects, whereas NWY for example has ẹ wá 'you (pl.) came' and wọ́n wá 'they came', respectively. The emergence of a plural of respect may have prevented coalescence of the two in NWY dialects.

Central Yoruba forms a transitional area in that the lexicon has much in common with NWY, whereas it shares many ethnographical features with SEY. Its vowel system is the least innovating (most stable) of the three dialect groups, having retained nine oral-vowel contrasts and six or seven nasal vowels, and an extensive vowel harmony system.

PS: Was Fulani ever in Yorubaland before colonial times? There's no traceable influence.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by mickey339(m): 8:24pm On Nov 28, 2011
I'll start. Since I Know virtually no Yoruba, I'll only be
able to do the first one.
I assume this is Central Yoruba.
Hello, How are you?
Ba wo ni?

Imagine nd U r bold to say it
Re: Yoruba Dialects by success4(m): 8:37pm On Nov 28, 2011
agbari-ojuku--- Head of Ojukwu  grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Wallie(m): 8:38pm On Nov 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Youba dialects

North-West Yoruba (NWY).
[/b]Abẹokuta, Ibadan, Ọyọ, Ogun and Lagos (Eko) areas

[b]Central Yoruba (CY)
[/b]Igbomina, Yagba, Ilésà, Ifẹ, Ekiti, Akurẹ, Ẹfọn, and Ijẹbu areas.

[b]South-East Yoruba (SEY)
[/b]Okitipupa, Ilaje, Ondo, Ọwọ, Ikarẹ, Ṣagamu, and parts of Ijẹbu.

[b]North-West Yoruba is historically a part of the Ọyọ empire.
In NWY dialects, Proto-Yoruba /gh/ (the velar fricative [ɣ]) and /gw/ have merged into /w/; the upper vowels /i ̣/ and /ụ/ were raised and merged with /i/ and /u/, just as their nasal counterparts, resulting in a vowel system with seven oral and three nasal vowels. Ethnographically, traditional government is based on a division of power between civil and war chiefs; lineage and descent are unilineal and agnatic.

South-East Yoruba was probably associated with the expansion of the Benin Empire
after c. 1450 AD.[5] In contrast to NWY, lineage and descent are largely multilineal and cognatic, and the division of titles into war and civil is unknown. Linguistically, SEY has retained the /gh/ and /gw/ contrast, while it has lowered the nasal vowels /ịn/ and /ụn/ to /ẹn/ and /ọn/, respectively. SEY has collapsed the second and third person plural pronominal forms; thus, àn án wá can mean either 'you (pl.) came' or 'they came' in SEY dialects, whereas NWY for example has ẹ wá 'you (pl.) came' and wọ́n wá 'they came', respectively. The emergence of a plural of respect may have prevented coalescence of the two in NWY dialects.

Central Yoruba forms a transitional area in that the lexicon has much in common with NWY, whereas it shares many ethnographical features with SEY. Its vowel system is the least innovating (most stable) of the three dialect groups, having retained nine oral-vowel contrasts and six or seven nasal vowels, and an extensive vowel harmony system.

PS: Was Fulani ever in Yorubaland before colonial times? There's no traceable influence.

I never knew the word "e" (eh) is plural. Are you also saying the "plural of respect" is only used by SWY or the "e" originated from them?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by member479760: 8:41pm On Nov 28, 2011
isiro loko dido. how do you translate it to yoruba?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 28, 2011
Wallie:

I never knew the word "e" (eh) is plural. Are you also saying the "plural of respect" is only used by SWY or the "e" originated from them?

"e" is used in central yoruba, that much I know.

In Ekiti, I believe we use "in" as a replacement for "e".

"e" is not only used for respect, but for a group of people. example : e wa --> Shouting out to a group of children to come your way.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by nomorename(f): 8:51pm On Nov 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Mo fe j'oko - if addressing a guy
Mo fe j'obo - if addressing a girl

Se oti so fun iya ati baba e?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Wallie(m): 8:53pm On Nov 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

"e" is used in central yoruba, that much I know.

In Ekiti, I believe we use "in" as a replacement for "e".

"e" is not only used for respect, but for a group of people. example : e wa --> Shouting out to a group of children to come your way.

I couldn't think of an example but you're right! I guess this also means that I shouldn't be offended when an Ekiti youngin replaces the word "in" for "e" when talking to me:-)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots / Igbo People Characteristics / The Tribes Of Nigeria Are Fake.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.