Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,095 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Ukah: “i Am Not A Mulatto! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ukah: “i Am Not A Mulatto! (1792 Views)

No Regrets Dumping Poland For Nigeria –ukah / Siasia Gives Ukah Shock Call-up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ukah: “i Am Not A Mulatto! by Relax101(m): 10:46pm On Nov 27, 2011
New Super Eagles Star, Ugochukwu Ukah Debunks Mixed Parentage

MY BACKGROUND
My name is Ugochukwu Ukah. I am a Nigerian from Mbaise local government area in Imo State.Probably because of my complexion, people always ask me if my father and mother are from Nigeria.They tend to assume one of them must be a foreigner, but that is a misconception because both of them are Ibos from the Eastern part of Nigeria.It is a thing of pride for me to say I am a Nigerian, because this country is great and blessed with all the potentials to be one of the best countries in the world.
You can say the challenges are there but I believe we can achieve this feat with unity and the spirit of determination we are known for.I have never been ashamed to tell people my nationality even when I am outside the country because I love my fatherland.

CHILDHOOD DAYS
I was born in Parma,Italy.I spent most of my childhood days over there and the first time I visited Nigeria was when I was six years old. I enjoyed my childhood days so much and thank God for everything. Those were the days you knew little about life; the challenges, ups and downs and what the future had in stock for you.
But as one begins to grow your perception about life takes a new turn, you begin to think of what you want to be in future as well as having a family of your own.
Football has always been a part of me right from my childhood and I am glad today that I’m a professional footballer.

EXPERIENCE IN NIGERIA
The first time I visited Nigeria, I was a child and so I can’t really say much about that time because I was still very young. I can remember I also visited the country a few times after that, but stopped coming after a little while.
I visited all alone for the first time last year, that was after a long time and I really enjoyed myself.It was a whole new experience for me. Getting to see my fellow countrymen, learn the culture and know more about the country.
It is easy to say that the two environments are totally different from one another,but it is important to appreciate what you have and find means of making it better with time.
I would like to visit the country regularly in years to come.I have made a lot of friends and visited some places in Nigeria and it would be great to come down again in future.

CLUB CAREER
Everything started with Parma, the academy team. That was where I learnt to polish my skills as a defender. I also had stints with some other Italian teams like; US Brescello, Reggiana, Truentina and Pro Vasto.
In 2005,I moved to England where I joined Queens Park Rangers,I was with them for two years before crossing over to Poland to link up with Widzew Lodz. That is where I am currently playing.

SUPER EAGLES DEBUT
I made my debut for the Super Eagles in the international friendly match against Zambia last week.I was glad to put on the national colours of Nigeria after a brief wait.
It was the former Manager, Samson Siasia, who first invited me to the team but I didn’t get to play in the friendly against Ghana in London. All the same,I was not distraught because I knew my chance would definitely come.
So,I was happy when I got the invitation to be part of the team once again for the Botswana and Zambia games,even though it was under a new Manager.
I was not selected for the first game against Botswana,but got the opportunity to show what I can do in the Zambia game and it was a worthwhile experience for me.
When I was first invited to play for the Super Eagles, I never hesitated to play for the team. The fans are getting to know me and I hope I will have more opportunities in future.

EXPERIENCE IN POLAND
The Polish League is highly competitive and interesting too.In the past we had some Nigerian players feature for with Polish teams and we still have some around.In every country I have played in,I’ve been able to learn about one or two teams which have helped me as a footballer.
My team Widzew Lodz is one of the top sides in the Polish League. We have always aspired to put in our best in what is one of the toughest leagues in the world. We have also played in Europe a couple of times.
The League itself is also improving every season and we have seen quality players from other top European countries and other parts of the world,coming to play in Poland.I believe everything is going well for the country.
Poland will be co-hosting the European Championship with Ukraine next year, that is also a wonderful opportunity for the national team to show they can compete with the other teams in the continent.

THOUGHTS ON EAGLES DEFENCE
We have top quality defenders in the team even though there have been some criticisms about our performances.For me, I wouldn’t want to say this is what I can do or that I should command a regular shirt. That is the job of the coaches.
But I believe with time, the entire team will get better. It’s pretty bad that we are not going to the Nations Cup next year,but we can make up for that disappointment by qualifying for the next edition in South Africa and the 2014 World Cup.
The new coach needs time to settle down and get the team to play the way he wants us to play. Football is a team game,all the different components must function well to get a good result.I believe it is not about the defence alone.
Once we blend as a team under the new boss, things will improve for us. I hope to be part of the team when we gather for the next assignment against Rwanda.

ON STEPHEN KESHI
Even though I didn’t really know much about him before I came down for the last two games, he showed why he was called the Big Boss in his playing days with the way he related with the players.I believe he has the right pedigree to be successful on the job, but we have to give him the necessary support.
As a defender,I have a lot to learn from him because he played in the same position as myself during his playing days.
Here,the fans are always eager for the team to do well but they must also realize that we need their support not only during happy times but in difficult times too.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/news/2011/11/ukah-i-am-not-a-mulatto
Re: Ukah: “i Am Not A Mulatto! by tpia5: 1:17am On Nov 28, 2011
[img]http://2.bp..com/_FLlZxU13GGI/TSUYXj5gNwI/AAAAAAAAAWo/pDLL9vf2uJg/s400/spl3540.jpg[/img]

maybe its good nutrition plus bright yellow colour that make nigerians look like mullattos.

anyway, is he seeing anyone yet?

if he's still single, then has he checked out the miss nigerias and mbgns for potential hookups?

or he dates only blacks.
Re: Ukah: “i Am Not A Mulatto! by Relax101(m): 1:34am On Nov 28, 2011
^^^^lol Are you normal?

(1) (Reply)

PSG & Monaco To Tempt Evra With Huge Salary / Ronaldinho Speaks On Coutinho’s Failed Move To Barcelona / Sure Prediction With High Odd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.