Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device (9251 Views)

External Hard Drive I/O Device Error Problem Solved / How Many GB Is Your Pc Hdd, Processor And Ram? post and let us compare / Need A Brand New Hp Laptop With 3.o Ghz Processor And Above. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by samcc30(m): 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2011
what is the relationship between processor and I/O device when obeying instruction.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by femi4: 5:01pm On Nov 29, 2011
The rate at which data is being transferred or Instructions being sent from one input device to the corresponding output device depends on the processor speed
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by samcc30(m): 5:09pm On Nov 29, 2011
thanks God bless
please Mr femi help me more on this
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 5:41pm On Dec 21, 2011
The processor is the master and the I/O device is the slave. The processor determines how and when to service the slave. In other words, the processor determines whether to listen to the I/O's instructions about reads/writes and at what speed.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by edcode(f): 8:04pm On Dec 21, 2011
The processor controls the transfer of data between I/O device and memory. The processor can be involved in the actual read/write of data to/from memory but not in all cases. Some I/O devices bypass the central processor altogether in the transfer of data. For instance Direct Memory Access in PCs. The processor only sets up the DMA transfer. Also the processor speed is not a factor here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 8:22pm On Dec 21, 2011
edcode:

The processor controls the transfer of data between I/O device and memory. The processor can be involved in the actual read/write of data to/from memory but not in all cases. Some I/O devices bypass the central processor altogether in the transfer of data. For instance Direct Memory Access in PCs. The processor only sets up the DMA transfer. Also the processor speed is not a factor here.

DMA is not an I/O device. Isn't DMA just a buffer? I/O devices connect the processor to the outside world. Also, I'm not really sure I/O devices can bypass the processor except if it has its own processor and using its own resources; otherwise, there would be contention issues on the time line.

I stand to be corrected as I never paid attention in my computer architecture class that I took eons ago.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by lastcenter: 8:52pm On Dec 21, 2011
what is the relationship between processor and I/O device
when obeying instruction?

The system always runs and the processor always executes. That means that at any given time the system itself can be idle.

Overall system latency. Access time. If you pull out a device it will stop operation until the processor can process it. Networking cannot service you to believe your system will prompt on time only.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 9:09pm On Dec 21, 2011
lastcenter:

Overall system latency. Access time. If you pull it out it will stop operations until it can access it.

You have traditional front side buses and then third generation buses or rather interconnect architechtures like hypertransport and infiniband to have enough space to not only map the the devices around it but to handle traffic in it. if a bus saturates it is because the transaction was delayed due to the amount of relays in it. They are read & write transactions. The bus in it will have to maintain the amount of traffic in it. Data needs to be fetched from memory. It needs to be stored on time to be executed or the processor pipeline will stall/hang until data is fetched to the processor itself. Even this can be configured to operate differently. It means it can always execute whatever enters into its units without having to wait : multiprocessing. Until data is stored properly the bus keeps on relaying to come on time that is all. Its all about system design to get data moved on time. You could buy some really expensive things to help move data on time.

True but if the OP’s question relates to computers or any modern processor then the hang up is taken care of. This is where the DMA and priority interrupts comes in. If your device has a lower priority interrupt than another interrupt, the processor will ignore the lower priority interrupt until it has time or the I/O device’s interrupt becomes the highest one. I know for a fact that I/O devices are not that critical to have a high priority interrupt.

I think the issues you’re alluding to becomes an issue when you have a high priority interrupt that hangs and even then, it will timeout.

There’s a very strict timeline that has to be adhered to by every single process that gets on the system’s timeline.

Buses are just like highways and data can only travel so fast (bus speed). I guess the question then becomes, what happens when data is pulled off DMA and travels down a bus but the I/O hangs up? Does the data get dropped? Probably not because the ack signal won’t be sent by the I/O device which should signify to the DMA that the data is lost in transit but I don’t know this for a fact.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 9:36pm On Dec 21, 2011
lastcenter:

The system always runs and the processor always executes. That means that at any given time the system itself can be idle.

Overall system latency. Access time. If you pull out a device it will stop operation until the processor can process it. Networking cannot service you to believe your system will prompt on time only.

I feel like I’m turning into the internet police. I’m only responding because I think that people get confused with different words being thrown around to explain concepts not related to the word.

What do you mean by “system always runs”? What system? The processor can be thought of as the heart of a computer. It follows a certain heartbeat rhythm, the clock (crystal oscillator) in the computer. The oscillator vibrates at a certain base frequency and that frequency is scaled up or down to achieve the computer speed. The clock typically resides in a synchronizer or something that performs that function. That is what always runs. The processor is based off that clock and could be either processing information or idle.

Idle just means that it is doing nothing within a time period. A system is a generic name for a collection of different processes. Every single process in a computer runs off a variation of the base clock.

Essentially, every electronic device runs on a sinusoidal wave and the speed is determined by the frequency of the wave, which is related to period and cycle.

OK, I'll be quiet as people are probably not interested in all the detailed crap!
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by edcode(f): 6:48pm On Dec 22, 2011
Wallie Wallie Wallie. You need to get your facts straight. DMA a buffer? Na wa O!
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by edcode(f): 6:53pm On Dec 22, 2011
Wallie. Sinusoidal wave? Na wa O! Maybe in analogue computers. Digital computers (your PC for instance) use square waves which are non-sinusoidal. Get your facts.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 7:54pm On Dec 22, 2011
edcode:

Wallie. Sinusoidal wave? Na wa O! Maybe in analogue computers. Digital computers (your PC for instance) use square waves which are non-sinusoidal. Get your facts.

lol, thread lightly when arguing things you only partially understand. Where does your square wave come from? How is it created and from what? Even after a signal is "squared", it still has a rise time and fall time that are probably measured in milliseconds but there are precise hardware out there that are measured in nanoseconds.

If you want to square a sinusoidal signal, an easy way is to use the charging and discharging of capacitors as your output. I don't design hardware but I do know enough about them to explain how they work. A digital signal, on the other hand, is my forte.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 8:15pm On Dec 22, 2011
edcode:

Wallie Wallie Wallie. You need to get your facts straight. DMA a buffer? Na wa O!

Amazing isn't it? Things become much clearer when you get past the names and really understand what they really are.

RAMs, DMAs are names given to memory that can be accessed a certain way. The function of the particular memory will dictate the design and how it behaves. Buffer is also just another storage space (memory).

Underlying almost any type of electronic memory is just a bunch of transistors.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by femi4: 8:59am On Dec 23, 2011
Chai! dem don derail this thread finish with big big computer grammars. Anyway sha, guys bring it on cos i dey take style refresh my brain. E don tey wey son of man commot for school
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by edcode(f): 2:23pm On Dec 23, 2011
"RAMs, DMAs are names given to memory that can be accessed a certain way" DMA is a name given to memory?
"Where does your square wave come from?" Implying here that they are always generated from sinusoidal waves?
Dear original poster please do yourself a favour and read a good book on computer basics for processor and I/O. You would be much better off. The rate at which this guy spews detailed crap (as he said in his post) is amazing. I pray he's not a lecturer somewhere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 4:14pm On Dec 23, 2011
edcode:

"RAMs, DMAs are names given to memory that can be accessed a certain way" DMA is a name given to memory?
"Where does your square wave come from?" Implying here that they are always generated from sinusoidal waves?
Dear original poster please do yourself a favour and read a good book on computer basics for processor and I/O. You would be much better off. The rate at which this guy spews detailed crap (as he said in his post) is amazing. I pray he's not a lecturer somewhere.

I have absolutely nothing to prove to you or the OP, especially on an anonymous forum. Some people read about stuff and some people actually practice the stuff written about. I have no problem in saying “I don’t know” or “I’m wrong”! It is impossible to know everything.

The problem with half-educated people is that they think that they know it all! Textbooks can only teach you so much, which is why an electrical engineering graduate knows absolutely NOTHING except fundamentals. The real learning comes from hands-on experience where you get to string the theories you learnt in class together.

And you're right; I'm not a lecturer because most people that lecture at a young age are people that cannot cut it in the real world. The only lecturers you should trust are those that have real world experience to back up the theories they teach. As your knowledge increases later in life, you will begin to realize that some of your lecturers in school only had superficial knowledge of what they teach.

The link below will confirm that the clock of a CPU comes from a crystal oscillator like I said. That the frequency is a fixed sinusoidal waveform like I said. That it is translated into square wave by electronic circuitry (capacitor) just like I said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate

I have nothing more to add to this topic or say to you. I also meant what I said about the memory. Google is your friend.

I hope that the OP and anybody else reading will do themselves a favor by reading up because it is dangerous seeking advice from “experts” that only read or heard an introductory paragraph to a subject that some people spend their entire career on.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 4:26pm On Dec 23, 2011
@edcode

I'll make it easier to get your knowledge up. Here goes some quick intro into how memory is designed and as you will see, it is made of transistors just like I said!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_random-access_memory
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 4:30pm On Dec 23, 2011
Here's some info on buffers and as you would see, it is made up of---- (finish the sentence for me :-) ). grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_buffer
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by nero90: 6:37pm On Dec 23, 2011
The relationship depends on a few factors, firstly i wont answer directly but rather throw in a few pointers so you would verify them.

The processor is the central processing unit connected to RAM via system bus - agree? Ultimately these days the features a mothernoard solly depends on the chipset with north and south bridges which connects the system bus that inturn transmits bits/bytes which are mostly and sometimes if an analogue signal is required from peripheral devices such as sensors, it needs to be converted first to digital before relayed to the bus, these type of conversions comes in through I/O devices like the one i just mentioned -- agree?
grin
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 8:19pm On Dec 23, 2011
nero90:

The relationship depends on a few factors, firstly i wont answer directly but rather throw in a few pointers so you would verify them.

The processor is the central processing unit connected to RAM via system bus - agree?

Yes.

nero90:

Ultimately these days the features a mothernoard solly depends on the chipset with north and south bridges which connects the system bus that inturn transmits bits/bytes which are mostly and sometimes if an analogue signal is required from peripheral devices such as sensors, it needs to be converted first to digital before relayed to the bus, these type of conversions comes in through I/O devices like the one i just mentioned -- agree?
grin

I guess. Today's computers are usually all “digital” within and if an input is analog or an analog output is needed, digital-to-analog converters are simply placed at the interface of the computer to the outside world.

I/O devices are just devices that can input or output data from a computer. For example, printers, monitors, keyboards etc are all I/O devices. For all the devices, there will be some sort of hardware at the interface that understands the protocol (language) between the computer and the device.

Apart from physical and electrical differences, connectors like USB, parallel ports, firewire, essentially speak the same language as whatever connects to the connector. For example, if the computer speaks Yoruba and the I/O device, a camera, speaks Igbo, the connector will translate from Yoruba to Igbo and vice-versa.

My point is that a computer only understands 1 language and every I/O device that wants to connect to it has to speak that language or have an interface that translates to that language. The conversion can occur in the device itself or at the interface.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by edcode(f): 4:30pm On Dec 24, 2011
The posts reads 'What is the relationship between processor and I/O device'. How does a processor interact with an I/O device and vice versa. Can you explain, for instance, how the processor interacts with say the network card or sound card on a PC? How do the devices get volumes of data to and from memory? Is the processor involved in the transfer of every byte between I/O device and memory? If not, what is the most common technology used? How is it done in the real world? Please no 'detailed crap'.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 6:31pm On Dec 24, 2011
edcode:

The posts reads 'What is the relationship between processor and I/O device'.  How does a processor interact with an I/O device and vice versa. Can you explain, for instance, how the processor interacts with say the network card or sound card on a PC? How do the devices get volumes of data to and from memory? Is the processor involved in the transfer of every byte between I/O device and memory? If not, what is the most common technology used? How is it done in the real world? Please no 'detailed crap'.

See post #3 for the answer to OP's question.

The problem you're having is that you're getting caught up in semantics. The only way you will truly understand something is to understand what it is and not simply what it is called. It takes a while to have that eureka moment but when it happens, everything will become much clearer.

A processor controls the timeline of the computer. It always has to run otherwise the computer will die and won’t turn on; just like your heartbeat. Everything that happens in the computer has to occur on the timeline even when you have multiple threads running except with computers with multiple cores/processors that may have multiple timelines (like vector processing).

The kernel in the OS/firmware determines how things occur on the timeline. If you want to add an additional accessory or function to the computer like a sound card or network card, the driver of your device will be programmed to interact with the functions provided in the OS through the kernel. This is true for any computer and a computer is anything that has a processor and memory. Computer includes your mobile phone, ECU in your car (brainbox), controller in your microwave oven, controller in your washing machine etc. The names might be different from environment to environment but the functions are essentially the same.

Any hardware that can be controlled through software, including a processor and/or motherboard, are provided with Application Programming Interface (API) that you use to control the hardware. APIs are driver level function calls that you make from within your software code.

This is how controllable electronic device systems work, from the most complicated billion-dollar system to the simplest computer system.

Your primary school-like gotcha questions are best suited for someone else. I don’t design PCs for a living and as such, I don’t need to have immediate command of how a specific ALU, BIOS, read/fetch/write instruction works. The information is mostly irrelevant 99% of the time because it is only a specific implementation of a device except if you’re designing or testing a PC device. If I need the information, I know exactly where to find it and what to search for.

Technology advances at a very rapid rate but the building blocks are almost always the same. Understand the building blocks and you can understand any new thing regardless of the name it is called. Happy Holidays!
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by edcode(f): 7:24pm On Dec 24, 2011
Too bad. Really. A cup full of, yes, detailed crap.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Wallie(m): 2:24am On Dec 25, 2011
edcode:

Too bad. Really. A cup full of, yes, detailed crap.

40 65 64 63 6f 64 65 20 2d 20 59 6f 75 20 77 6f 75 6c 64 20 6e 6f 74 20 6b 6e 6f 77 20 64 65 74 61 69 6c 65 64 20 63 72 61 70 20 69 66 20 69 74 20 73 6d 61 63 6b 65 64 20 79 6f 75 20 72 69 67 68 74 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 66 61 63 65 21
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by lastcenter: 6:51pm On Dec 25, 2011
Memory is very cheap nowadays. DMA helps to arrange operations on time. An I/O device isn't always necessarily slower to access because nowadays like in heterogeneous computing some are integrated. From what I noted the only relationship is signaling.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by lastcenter: 7:00pm On Dec 25, 2011
lastcenter:

When I stated system i meant a finite state machine. Memory is very cheap nowadays.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Djcn: 8:10am On Dec 26, 2011
Wallie:

DMA is not an I/O device. Isn't DMA just a buffer? I/O devices connect the processor to the outside world. Also, I'm not really sure I/O devices can bypass the processor except if it has its own processor and using its own resources; otherwise, there would be contention issues on the time line.

I stand to be corrected as I never paid attention in my computer architecture class that I took eons ago.

DMA is not an I/O device. You are right sir
Isn't DMA just a buffer?. No Sir, it is not.

In simple terms, it means that data being transferred directly between a drive (or any supporting device) and memory, without using the CPU as an intermediary. The opposite of DMA is PIO.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by edcode(f): 2:09pm On Dec 27, 2011
As much as I try not to derail from the topic, I can not resist. This guy is wonderful. He's now writing in a language mere mortals can not understand. I hereby declare that I would strive to accept hook, line and sinker what his wonderfulness has to say about this topic. I have a first degree in social studies only so please bear with me. No more replies. Will only listen. And please, your gloriousness, don't smack me in the face with more detailed,hmm,crap? embarassed
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Processor And I/o Device by Nobody: 2:32am On Dec 28, 2011
Wallie:

The processor is the master and the I/O device is the slave. The processor determines how and when to service the slave. In other words, the processor determines whether to listen to the I/O's instructions about reads/writes and at what speed.

Simple and concise answer. Why prove further?

The OP asked a simple question and got tautology in return. With all the technical jargon uttered here, we should have our own computer brand in Naija. Don't you think so folks?

(1) (Reply)

How Important is the Internet to You? / Dell Latitude E7240 (128gb Ssd, 12gb Ram, Core15, Backlit) 65k / ✈✳✅ AMERICAN USED Hp Envy LAPTOPS "SEE PICTURES "

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.