Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine (7572 Views)

How Buhari’s $2 Billion Chinese Loan Puts Nigeria At Risk–forbes Magazine / Dangote, Elumelu Nominated For Forbes Africa Person Award / Forbes Magazine Exposes Prof Ayittey's Hypocrisy After Mocking Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by hasyak(m): 1:27pm On Nov 29, 2011
Nigeria's Lamido Sanusi Wins Forbes Award
Nigeria's central bank governor Lamido Sanusi has been voted Africa Person of the Year by Forbes magazine.

He beat five other candidates for the inaugural award - including Nobel Peace laureate Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and Africa's richest man, Aliko Dangote.

Mr Sanusi, 50, has spearheaded reforms in Nigeria's troubled banking sector since his appointment in 2009.

The central bank bailed out nine banks and removed their chief executives who were accused of fraudulent practices.

Several of the ousted bankers have been put on trial for alleged financial mismanagement.

'Fiscal discipline'

Forbes magazine's readers gave Mr Sanusi the most votes in an online poll.

He beat Mrs Sirleaf, the Liberian president who was awarded this year's Nobel Peace prize, Mr Dangote, a Nigeria business tycoon who tops Forbes' list of Africa's richest people, former Cape Verde President Pedro Verona Pires, who won this year's $5m (£3.2m) Mo Ibrahim prize for good governance in Africa and Wangari Maathai, the Kenyan Nobel Peace laureate who died in September.

'You cannot be exporting crude oil and be importing refined petrol”

Lamido Sanusi Nigeria's central bank governor

Last year, another financial publication, The Banker, named Mr Sanusi the Central Bank Governor of the Year.

Mr Sanusi's critics says his reforms have led to massive job losses in the banking sector.

But when receiving the award, he said the central bank's role was not to create jobs but to create an environment for business to thrive, Nigeria's privately owned newspaper, The Daily Trust, reports.

He called on the government to show tighter fiscal discipline and to discourage imports.

"You cannot be exporting crude oil and be importing refined petrol," Mr Sanusi said, according to The Daily Trust.

Nigeria is a leading oil producer but most people live in poverty.

Corruption is also seen as a huge problem in the West African state.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15935116
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by aljharem3: 1:28pm On Nov 29, 2011
GOOD

Keep representing us. Far better than those PDP goons

Allah keep you for us Sanusi
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by namfav(m): 1:29pm On Nov 29, 2011
future president  cool
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by Funkymallam(m): 1:30pm On Nov 29, 2011
Weldone my crown prince! SLS
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by maclatunji: 1:54pm On Nov 29, 2011
Why is it that Sanusi Lamido Sanusi keeps on getting awards and recognition at home and abroad whilst President Goodluck Jonathan suffers from severe criticism?
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by thorpido(m): 2:06pm On Nov 29, 2011
Congrats Mallam Sanusi,i pray that Nigeria will have more of you in key positions.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by kulutempa: 2:11pm On Nov 29, 2011
maclatunji:

Why is it that Sanusi Lamido Sanusi keeps on getting awards and recognition at home and abroad whilst President Goodluck Jonathan suffers from severe criticism?

It is because Lamido Sanusi has that rare quality in Nigerian and African leaders:  common sense and integrity.   Only a stupid leader  will import things that could just as easily be made in his own country.  That is as stupid as stupid does.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by manchy7531: 2:25pm On Nov 29, 2011
Good for him but he should remember that his brothers are suffering like the same why dangote is the richest man in africa but Bill get came all the way from United states to come Immunize them.they need to help all those roaming Dogs on the rood called almajiri.

Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by atasteve: 2:29pm On Nov 29, 2011
manchy7531:

Good for him but he should remember that his brothers are suffering like the same why dangote is the richest man in africa but Bill get came all the way from United states to come Immunize them.they need to help all those roaming Dogs on the rood called almajiri.

A big congrats to you but as Manchy7531 said "please let your impact be felt at the grassroot."

More grease to your elbow.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by Joey82(m): 2:30pm On Nov 29, 2011
we Nigerians keep condemning hin while his works keeps geting recongnition from places far and wide. Talk of a prophet not respected in his own land, Ride on SLS, haters can go hug transformer.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by baslone: 2:34pm On Nov 29, 2011
Really deserving.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by olawalebabs(m): 2:41pm On Nov 29, 2011
Congrat, you don't need to attend the ivy league schools to do what is right. Future Sarkin Kano. Mutani kanawa, mu na gese ka
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by hustla242: 2:42pm On Nov 29, 2011
An excellent banker by all standards but I still don't rate him as an economist.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by bigdoo: 2:45pm On Nov 29, 2011
Importation of refined oil from overseas did not start with GEJ's regime.  But so long as this happened in the past with former presidents of Nigeria nobody criticised them and nobody saw that it was wrong to do so.  But now that the government is trying to reverse the trend many people have found it necessary to criticise GEJ.  I can say that although I don't support some of the policies of GEJ's government such as removal of fuel subsidy, his regime has accomplished a lot more than Yaradua's government achieved in three wasted years of Yaradua's government yet nobody found it necessary to criticise his weak and inactive governmen talk less about other former Nigerian presidents before Yaradua.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2011
I congratulate him but I am not sure he deserves this award in my humble opinion. I look at the general state of the banking industry and how much value the naira has lost and based on those two reasons he hasn't done too well this year in particular. He has done alot in the past especially 2009 - 2010 but I think this year has been his lowest.

Inflation is still double digits, banking sector is clearly not healthy and the naira has lost value. I think Oscar Onyema at the NSE has done alot more in his short time as CEO than Sanusi this year. And on job creation, it is not his sole responsibility, but I thought he was part of an economic team whose responsibility is to create jobs, so he has a part to play.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by Joey82(m): 2:50pm On Nov 29, 2011
bigdoo link=topic=813739.msg9656135#msg9656135 date=1[b:
322574306]
Importation of refined oil from overseas did not start with GEJ's regime.  But so long as this happened in the past with former presidents of Nigeria nobody criticised them and nobody saw that it was wrong to do so[/b].  But now that the government is trying to reverse the trend many people have found it necessary to criticise GEJ.  I can say that although I don't support some of the policies of GEJ's government such as removal of fuel subsidy, his regime has accomplished a lot more than Yaradua's government achieved in three wasted years of Yaradua's government yet nobody found it necessary to criticise his weak and inactive governmen talk less about other former Nigerian presidents before Yaradua.

why would u say nobody criticised them.
unless of course u werent following events then.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by olawalebabs(m): 2:55pm On Nov 29, 2011
Joey82:

why would u say nobody criticised them.
unless of course u werent following events then.
i think he has a short memory to hold historical trend in the country. Has he forgotten the era of 'go slow'? Yar' adua regime. Have you?
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by bigdoo: 2:55pm On Nov 29, 2011
Well let's not forget that international recognition and being given awards are determined by the power and connections for lobby.  As far I'm concerned Sanusi is the worst CBN governor that Nigeria has ever had.  He is out of touch with the people and with the government.  His policies like establishment of Islamic banking, devaluation of the Naira and minmal withdrawal of money from banks by customers are silly to me and make no sense.  But I think that he has connections in high places, who are singing his praises and lobbying for his awards.  I am not his fan and I don't like his policies.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by Funkymallam(m): 3:07pm On Nov 29, 2011
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by okunoba(m): 3:10pm On Nov 29, 2011
Sanusi for president of Nigeria? Hell no, President of sharia Arewa, a big yes.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by Wallie(m): 3:13pm On Nov 29, 2011
bigdoo:

Well let's not forget that international recognition and being given awards are determined by the power and connections for lobby.  As far I'm concerned Sanusi is the worst CBN governor that Nigeria has ever had.  He is out of touch with the people and with the government.  His policies like establishment of Islamic banking, devaluation of the Naira and minmal withdrawal of money from banks by customers are silly to me and make no sense.  But I think that he has connections in high places, who are singing his praises and lobbying for his awards.  I am not his fan and I don't like his policies.

How come he's the only Nigerian that has friends in high places lobbying for his awards?

What the Mallam has shown is the change a single person can bring about. His actions might not be popular but he's doing what's right. See the following interview to gain more insight into his being.

[flash=400,250]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wHA85raNKk[/flash]

[flash=400,250]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL_U19K371w&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/flash]
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by manchy7531: 3:17pm On Nov 29, 2011
Good for him but he should remember that his brothers are suffering that is why dangote is the richest man in Africa but Bill get came all the way from United states to come Immunize his people.they need to help all those roaming Dogs on the road called almajiri and boko haram. and also leprosy, polio, bombing, illiteracy, almajirism, tes tse fly, poverty is alos very high which needs urgent attention.

Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by BIGERBOY1: 3:23pm On Nov 29, 2011
@ manchy which do u mock by those pictures; those that r less priviledge than u or the most Gracious that that gave u ur own priviledge and denying them. u r indeed a sadist.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by emmke(m): 3:25pm On Nov 29, 2011
manchy7531:

Good for him but he should remember that his brothers are suffering that is why dangote is the richest man in Africa but Bill get came all the way from United states to come Immunize his people.they need to help all those roaming Dogs on the road called almajiri and boko haram. and also leprosy, polio, bombing, illiteracy, almajirism, tes tse fly, poverty is alos very high which needs urgent attention.
[/quotewhat has this got to do with anything? why dont u just congrtulate and move on. i sense jealousy. every region in nigeria has a problem with poverty. its a national thing.
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by jascon1(m): 3:32pm On Nov 29, 2011
weldone mallam Sanusi! Jonathan has to brazen up! 4 d award wey dem share, Sanusi get one? who dem even give these awards sef? dem give aki na pawpaw?
for a minute Jonathan appears to me like a member of the Ebonyi State house of assembly. I thought he was the numero 1 of 9ja. He has to be reminded that he is the one leading. CLEANSE THE TOP SEATS, JONATHAN!!! Who isn't working should face the law. No one is bigger than the law. If the seat don tire u, resign! it isn't a crime to. wey pat dey sef? Pat u need to do your job well oh. no dey hide for back. come outside! how many projects have u created and commissioned? Tell oga oh! We are waiting to spell out the result. Pat see Sanusi wey just enter office which day, international eyes don dey dash am praises.
this na bad Omen oh! Jonathan create jobs!!!
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by Wallie(m): 3:36pm On Nov 29, 2011
manchy7531:

You have to realize that in this world, we all have a part to play! We are like different pieces to a puzzle. If everybody plays their respective part, Nigeria will make great strides! Everybody cannot be GEJ, Dangote, Gani, Fela, Ojukwu, Sanusi, police officer, pure water maker, mechanic etc but if we all play our parts in our respective capacity or position, our problems will be solved.

Sanusi’s piece of the puzzle is to be the Central Bank Governor and part of his job is to make and implement policies that guide the banking sector.

What is your piece of the puzzle and how well are you playing the part?
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by ortopazz(m): 3:58pm On Nov 29, 2011
sanusi and his things well what would we say he deserves it or doesn't he?
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 29, 2011
Well done boy, Just remember what you promised me sha  grin
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by ideylaff: 4:06pm On Nov 29, 2011
These Ego Massaging awards we seem to praise in Nigeria mean nothing out there.

Trust me, its all Politicised these days,

Even Mallam wld not like to see the usual congrats in the dailies which seem to follow these awards in Nigeria,

I dont have a problem with SLS as a person, in fact he his more reserved that anyone weve even had in that position bar Governor Sanusi (the Yoruba one) its the people jumping up over nothing I think should sit back and have a rethink

African Person of The year,  so?
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by okunoba(m): 4:21pm On Nov 29, 2011
@BIGER BOY, It`s not possible for anyone to mock these vulnerable young men(Almajiri) who face a life of abuse and hopelessness due to the policies of the big Alhaji`s and Mallams like sanusi. What as he done or doing to change the fortune of these voiceless kids, as the so called Northern crowned prince and power broker in Nigeria. He writes articles defending sharia, but why not fight for the human rights of these children of god who spend their formative years in an abusive environment, where they are turned to a pack of hyenas, ready to kill at the slightest provocation. Are we surprise, of course not, any student of sociology would know abused kids have a higher chance of becoming abusers themselves.  

@ manchy, Thanks for speaking out for these children of god who have been abandoned by the people that should be caring for them.
When are we going to get a powerful Northerner that will fight for the human rights of these abused kids?
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by kpolli(m): 4:27pm On Nov 29, 2011
Reforms that we can not see . . . . make forbes ko shi lo jor
Re: Sanusi Wins Africa Person Of The Year By Forbes Magazine by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 29, 2011
What's the current exchange rate of Dollars to Naira?

Which country does the exchange rate favor?

what country gave out the award?

Who else who deserve it after a Job well done for the Americans?

Laughing in Egun grin Sanusi works for the United state, grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari's Colored Original Result And Old School Pics: Channels Tv / Breaking!! No Fuel Subsidy In 2016 - Federal Government!! / Strong Momentum & Continuous Growth In Economy Further Show Buhari Is Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.