Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" (8263 Views)

Ladies Will You Rock This Jewellery (photo) / How To Take Care Of Gold Plated Jewellery-->must Read For All Ladies / Clearance Authentic Playboy Jewellery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Kilode1: 3:40am On Dec 01, 2011
By Joe Brock

ABUJA (Reuters) - A bizarre mix of pop stars, oil moguls and politicians swigged champagne and danced into the night in Nigeria's capital at a launch party for Chris Aire, Nigerian jewellery designer to the stars, nicknamed "The King of Bling."

On Tuesday night, Aire launched his first boutique in Africa's most populous nation, where many live on less than $2 a day, allowing the growing number of Nigeria's super-rich to access diamond jewellery worn by top U.S. stars like Oprah Winfrey, Clint Eastwood and Angelina Jolie.

The red carpet was rolled out at the most expensive hotel in Abuja, in a rare event for Nigeria. U.S. rapper Shaggy flew in to mix with Nigerian music favorites 2face and Duncan Mighty and dozens of models and businessmen at an exclusive party.

"Please look around at Chris's, the 'Iceman's' the 'King of Bling's' amazing work here. Buy something for your wife, if not then your girlfriend or your mistress. It's all good," the party organizer told guests, standing in front big screen televisions showing images of U.S. stars wearing Aire's jewellery.

Aire recently sold a $20 million diamond dress, while a necklace on his website is going for a touch over $7 million.

Nigeria is Africa's largest crude oil exporter and while the majority of the country's 150 million residents live below the poverty line, there are hundreds who have a large share in billions of dollars from the continent's biggest oil industry.

It is easy to see why luxury goods businesses like Aire's are eyeing up Nigeria, as the developed world slips further into a financial crisis.

In the commercial-hub Lagos, yachts float on dirty waterways and super cars line driveways of grand houses which sit beside shanty towns. A lack of proper irrigation and pot-holed roads mean the vehicles are impractical status symbols.

"I think the world is like that, everyone is placed somewhere for a reason, it is just society which says rich is good and poor is bad," Aire told Reuters on the red carpet, sporting a diamond studded watch.

He said it was regrettable that profits from some diamonds in West Africa, known as 'blood diamonds', are used to fund wars but he said all his stock is "conflict-free."

(Reporting by Joe Brock)

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7AT0ZE20111130?irpc=932
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Kilode1: 3:43am On Dec 01, 2011
Nigeria is Africa's largest crude oil exporter and while the majority of the country's 150 million [/b]residents live below the poverty line

Comma, Then:

there are [b]hundreds who have a large share in billions of dollars from the continent's biggest oil industry.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Jenifa1: 4:01am On Dec 01, 2011
na wa o.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by obowunmi(m): 4:24am On Dec 01, 2011
Where is Boko Horam when you need them and why weren't the bombing ?
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Kilode1: 4:43am On Dec 01, 2011
It's called Owambe on a bling bling level embarassed
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Kobojunkie: 4:47am On Dec 01, 2011
What am I missing? Are we not happy that Nigerians can now afford diamonds, and bling that many rich in the west have enjoyed for so long? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Jenifa1: 4:55am On Dec 01, 2011
^lol

na today?

Kilode?!:

It's called Owambe on a bling bling level embarassed

at least they're using nigerian stones. although it is all refined/cut abroad. and then resold at exuberant prices back to us.
just like our oil.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Kobojunkie: 4:59am On Dec 01, 2011
Jenifa_:

^lol

na today?

at least they're using nigerian stones. although it is all refined/cut abroad. and then resold at exuberant prices back to us.
just like our oil.

Quit that . . . like you can get Nigerian refined and cut stones for cheaper. Ordinary food grown, and sold directly to you there in Nigeria, you no fit buy cheap. ***hisss********
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by oderemo(m): 5:08am On Dec 01, 2011
No one shld bling bling an eyelid when boys come to rob them oh ,
Ita orerin rara oh. Boys dey vex oh.
Last wk boys robbed bks at shagamu,14 innocent ppl died oh.
4get this bling bling, i beg of una oh.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Kobojunkie: 5:11am On Dec 01, 2011
How many of the blingers these your boys dey even rob? Na so we dey talk say boys go do this and that but to this day . . . . wetin dem don do other than to make the life of the already poor even  more miserable with their werepe lifestyle? Boys ko . . . . arugbos ni!
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Nobody: 5:19am On Dec 01, 2011
ode remo:

No one shld bling bling an eyelid when boys come to rob them oh ,
Ita orerin rara oh. Boys dey vex oh.
Last wk boys robbed bks at shagamu,14 innocent ppl died oh.
4get this bling bling, i beg of una oh.

lmao @ bling bling an eyelid.
Seriously, I wish those boys could have joined the party.
"Rich" Politicians doing bling bling owanbe when people in Ebonyi are begging for food.
Simply a shame.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by oderemo(m): 5:20am On Dec 01, 2011
Can any of these blingers shine same on the street of lagos? Or their treasure is safely secured somewhere in the vault of zenith bank, and when boys go zenith would they not cart away your bling.?
Who pays ? Insurance?
I laugh in ogijo.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Beaf: 5:22am On Dec 01, 2011
Nigeria is Africa's largest crude oil exporter and while the majority of the country's 150 million residents live below the poverty line, there are hundreds who have a large share in billions of dollars from the continent's biggest oil industry.

This is by far the saddest bit of the article. How can a nation so blessed see its riches cornered by a few greedy and corrupt bastar'ds?

Stuff like that makes me lean toward outright removal of the oil subsidy. Firstly, lets understand that "oil subsidy" means many things, but boils down to paying people to import fuel that is refined abroad, while destroying the refineries at home.

It is noteworthy, that in their times, IBB and Abacha built personal refineries in Ivory Coast, Benin Republic and Sierra Leone, so that they could benefit from the "oil subsidy."
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Jenifa1: 5:24am On Dec 01, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Quit that . . . like you can get Nigerian refined and cut stones for cheaper. Ordinary food grown, and sold directly to you there in Nigeria, you no fit buy cheap. ***hisss********

that's the point.
said ain't it?
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by VoodooDoll(m): 6:22am On Dec 01, 2011
Life in Nigeria is nasty, brutish and short. Good luck to these chaps, high chance that they are "public servants".
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by kevinc: 6:54am On Dec 01, 2011
Na wa o.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Jakumo(m): 6:56am On Dec 01, 2011
Anyone flaunting diamonds and gold in Nigeria is making the following statement -  " I could not care less if all these people clawing at the tinted windows of my limo haven't eaten for a week.  I want them to know that the glittering rocks on my fingers could feed a whole Nigerian village for a year, but I have NO intention of feeding anyone but my fat asz, and that of my obese, skin-bleached collection of ugly whores."

If I were a robbery professional resident in Nigeria, a champagne and truffles party like the one described above would be an IDEAL opportunity to infiltrate and compile a comprehensive hit-list of those bleeding the country dry, with the intention of visiting them ALL one by one at home, or ambushing their vehicles, in furtherance of the PATRIOTIC obligation to even a few scores, make some money, and send a few embezzlement barons to Hades where they truly belong.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by jensinmi(m): 7:03am On Dec 01, 2011
Beaf:

This is by far the saddest bit of the article. How can a nation so blessed see its riches cornered by a few greedy and corrupt bastar'ds?

Stuff like that makes me lean toward outright removal of the oil subsidy. Firstly, lets understand that "oil subsidy" means many things, but boils down to paying people to import fuel that is refined abroad, while destroying the refineries at home.

It is noteworthy, that in their times, IBB and Abacha built personal refineries in Ivory Coast, Benin Republic and Sierra Leone, so that they could benefit from the "oil subsidy."

Oh really?,  This is the link to an article on another Chris Aire bash from last year.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2010/04/09/nigerian-jewels-bling-in-hollywood-as-chris-aire-launches-the-hollywood-glamour-collection/

Look and see if you recognize some of our corrupt and greedy "bastar'ds" you are talking about.

Who is deceiving who? I hope your Aunty showed up for last night's own.  angry  angry
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Jakumo(m): 7:18am On Dec 01, 2011
Hot damn ! How come that woman has her lips puckered up orifice-style like that ? She is frightening enough to look at already, without her pulling that hideous facial expression for the camera. Did she just get through sniffing toilet fumes or something ? That mug would scare the horses fer sure ha ha ha.

Recalling the immortal words of Redd Fox. "Beauty is only skin deep, but UGLY is to the bone."
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Kilode1: 7:39am On Dec 01, 2011
jensinmi:

Oh really?,  This is the link to an article on another Chris Aire bash from last year.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2010/04/09/nigerian-jewels-bling-in-hollywood-as-chris-aire-launches-the-hollywood-glamour-collection/

Look and see if you recognize some of our corrupt and greedy "bastar'ds" you are talking about.

Who is deceiving who? I hope your Aunty showed up for last night's own.  angry  angry

Gangsta look! Complete with bling and Gele  grin

This Madam is too much meehnn!

She be dogging' all them poverty stricken 'Niccuhs'
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by ektbear: 7:45am On Dec 01, 2011
lol
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by obowunmi(m): 8:45am On Dec 01, 2011
Jakumo's commentary is killing me.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by obowunmi(m): 8:48am On Dec 01, 2011
Hahahahahaahaha! LoL
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by ideylaff: 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2011
In the commercial-hub Lagos, yachts float on dirty waterways and super cars line driveways of grand houses which sit beside shanty towns. A lack of proper irrigation and pot-holed roads mean the vehicles are impractical status symbols.

Hmmnnnn word, hits like a stone,
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Kx: 4:07pm On Dec 01, 2011
Were the champagnes made from cassava like the bread GEJ and co are promoting?
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by dayokanu(m): 4:21pm On Dec 01, 2011
Beaf:

Isnt the President Odechukwu Retardeen desribed by Australian Magazines as Blinged up?

Prime Minister Julia Gillard found herself greeting the much [size=18pt]bejewelled[/size] and marvellously named Goodluck Jonathan, President of Nigeria, and his friends.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/vibe-was-right-for-pm-to-hope-for-goodluck-charm-20111027-1mm3a.html#ixzz1fISLAC6z
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by AjanleKoko: 4:24pm On Dec 01, 2011
Kilode?!:

"I think the world is like that, everyone is placed somewhere for a reason, it is just society which says rich is good and poor is bad," Aire told Reuters on the red carpet, sporting a diamond studded watch.

He said it was regrettable that profits from some diamonds in West Africa, known as 'blood diamonds', are used to fund wars but he said all his stock is "conflict-free."

Meaning 'Kilode ke? Why you dey fall my hand na? I'm just tryna sell my shyt man!' grin
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:47pm On Dec 01, 2011
sad
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by aikay77: 6:38pm On Dec 01, 2011
dayokanu:

Isnt the President Odechukwu Retardeen desribed by Australian Magazines as Blinged up?

Na yer people now. Eh beaf?

Yer Fee Dee Fee people.
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by razznaija(f): 6:40pm On Dec 01, 2011
Kilode?!:

It's called Owambe on a bling bling level   embarassed
embarassed grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by eros(m): 6:51pm On Dec 01, 2011
Nigeria oh Nigeria!!!
Re: Rich Nigerians Embrace Jewellery "king Of Bling" by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 01, 2011
I can sense a tinge of condescension in the reportage, coupled with a whiff of sarcasm, and a sprinkling of envy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Latest And Stunning Ghana Braids With Pictures / Ice Prince On The Cover Of Bubbles Magazine / PHOTOS: The Real Lizardman, Who Modifiedhis Body To The Irreversible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.