Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,704 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time (8097 Views)

Grammy:list Of Nigeria Musicians That Can Win The GRAMMY AWARD / Wizkid And Yemi Alade Nominated For BET Awards / Wizkid Ft. Femi Kuti - Jaiye Jaiye Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by eghost247(m): 9:52am On Dec 01, 2011
Femi Kuti Grabs Third Grammy Award Nomination
World Music Field

Best World Music Album

AfroCubism – "AfroCubism"
Femi Kuti- "Africa For Africa"
Ladysmith Black Mambazo- "Songs From A Zulu Farm"
Tinariwen - "Tassili"

Nigerian musician and respected Afrobeat singer Femi Kuti has been nominated at the 54th edition of the prestigious Grammy Awards.

Femi picked up his third ever nomination in the World Music Category for his ‘Africa for Africa‘ album last night Wednesday, November 30, 2011 when the list was unveiled at the ‘Grammy Nominations Concert Live!!‘ in Los Angeles, US.

In 2003, Femi, eldest son of late Afrobeat pioneer Fela Anikulapo Kuti picked up his first ever Grammy Award nomination but lost out to  Panamanian salsa singer Rubén Blades. He similarly lost in 2010  when he was nominated in the same category. US banjo player Bela Fleck walked away with the award.

His recent nomination sees him up against Latin/Roots music band AfroCubism, South African male choral group Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and Malian band Tinariwen.

‘We’re extremely happy, and hoping they give him this time around‘ Femi’s elder sister and Positive band veteran Yeni Kuti told us this morning over the phone. ‘It’s his third time and he has really worked hard‘. Femi Kuti himself, currently touring Europe, is unreachable for now. ‘I can’t say if he’ll attend or not, but I hope he will. He did not attend last year‘ Yeni says.
http://www.thenetng.com/2011/12/01/femi-kuti-grabs-third-grammy-award-nomination/
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Afam4eva(m): 1:57pm On Dec 01, 2011
Again?
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Nobody: 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2011
What is the category they used to nominate him?, have never listened to any of his music anyway
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Afam4eva(m): 2:02pm On Dec 01, 2011
I wonder oo. The grammy commitee may not be aware of what's going on in the Nigerian music industry. Else, they won't nominate him. They should be nominating people like Tuface, P Square and Asa.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by crusufixo(m): 2:06pm On Dec 01, 2011
At least let's just be happy that he was nominated. Just dont know why we can never celebrate our own ( No matter the circumstances), but would rather celebrate american gangstars that are being nominated for grammy angry angry
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Ryabcool(m): 2:08pm On Dec 01, 2011
afam4eva:

I wonder oo. The grammy commitee may not be aware of what's going on in the Nigerian music industry. Else, they won't nominate him. They should be nominating people like Tuface, P Square and Asa.
A NIGERIAN was nominated. Shut up and be happy,
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Afam4eva(m): 2:11pm On Dec 01, 2011
Ryabcool:

A NIGERIAN was nominated. Shut up and be happy,

I'll warn you watch your tongue. You can get you point across without cursing. I've aired my opinion. Whether you like it or not, it's my opinion. Be warned.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by marcar(m): 2:11pm On Dec 01, 2011
That is good news!!! hope that they give it to him this time around
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by kevoh(m): 2:15pm On Dec 01, 2011
Real artists/musicians get nominated not the fake ones who are lucky to get access to a studio and record rubbish.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by omo9ja1(m): 2:20pm On Dec 01, 2011
This dude is just taking the glory of his dad, i like bang bang bang
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Ryabcool(m): 2:20pm On Dec 01, 2011
afam4eva:

I'll warn you watch your tongue. You can get you point across without cursing. I've aired my opinion. Whether you like it or not, it's my opinion. Be warned.
*yawns* stop threatening yourself. You're only displaying your insecurities. Perhaps you were bullied as a child. If you call "shut up" cursing, then what would you say if i told you to go eff yourself? Abeg you aired your opinion and i gave it the right answer it deserved. That is all, Save the threats for your kids and employees. Smh at this insecure boi!
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Baawaa(m): 2:21pm On Dec 01, 2011
Maybe they will give him this time around
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Ryabcool(m): 2:23pm On Dec 01, 2011
Baawaa:

Maybe they will give him this time around

i pray so too
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by FEMARY1: 2:33pm On Dec 01, 2011
I wish him success.

Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by njanka: 2:44pm On Dec 01, 2011
femi kuti is an artist, listen to his music
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by manchy7531: 2:44pm On Dec 01, 2011
congrat.all the best uncle femi.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by kingsrod: 3:01pm On Dec 01, 2011
D person wey talk 2face p square and asa, well 2face fit enter for voice and creativity, Psquare dem never reach that leave even though I like them Asa all the way she has everything to be up there,
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by BabaEleko(m): 3:03pm On Dec 01, 2011
@@afan4eva. . . Bros no vex but na primary wetin u dey sef? The category is WORLD MUSIC category not naija or africa's best RnB or Hiphop or afro-hiphop or whatever. So your 2face and co sing world music abi? Bros read with your eyez not your yanshh.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Aladinn(m): 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2011
afam4eva:

u just displayed ur ignorance wit ur statement. Try grab femi's album nd broaden ur ears. Heard d report dat femi's on a world tour? How many of d above named, xcept Asa, do dat regurlarly. Its all about Originality.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by UyiIredia(m): 3:28pm On Dec 01, 2011
so what ? Let him win, then I'll celebrate.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by KINGwax(m): 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2011
afam4eva:

'fo.ol' aint that your middle name?
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Pukkah: 4:18pm On Dec 01, 2011
Aladinn:

Try grab femi's album nd broaden your ears. Heard d report dat femi's on a world tour? How many of d above named, xcept Asa, do dat regurlarly. Its all about Originality.

You're right.

I wish him well. Congrats Femi.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 01, 2011
*shakes at afam4eva*, how dare yoou even conceive of comparing Femi Kuti with the likes of P Square, P Square infact God punish y, You think this Bizzy Body we're talking about here abi Temptation, ignorant ignoramus. Abeg Femi make third time bring you luck jor. P Square goddamit,
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:44pm On Dec 01, 2011
omo9ja1:

This dude is just taking the glory of his dad, i like slam slam slam
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by aljharem3: 5:01pm On Dec 01, 2011
afam4eva:

Again?
odiaero:

What is the category they used to nominate him?, have never listened to any of his music anyway

afam4eva:

2 stu.pid haters

Femi Kuti is there, if u no like am go hug transformer

F-ing bigots
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by seyiogundipe: 5:56pm On Dec 01, 2011
@ Afam4eva:
1. There is only one or two nomination category (-ies) for Africa which was in actual fact, created just in last 8yrs when it was agreed on by the committee that Grammy Award should not be limited to few continents but the entire world.
2. Now, to artistes who will make the nominations, the likelihood that these talented artistes you cited ( 2face, P-Square, Asa ) will make the list is low. Perhaps Asa can but others, I doubt cos they all sing hip-hop and there is nothing African ( traditional ) about them except the language they use.
That's why only the Musicians involved in Contemporary Highlife, Afro-Beat, Folklores, Soukous, Makossa etc will usually get nominated.
The highly-rated & hand-picked professional members of the Grammy Award committees know their onions well & don't just nominate anyhow. They are not swayed by the highly 'synthensized' instrumentals/beat, popularity or fads which has characterised the African Hip-hop culture / genre.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by yuzedo: 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2011
WTF?! Wow! Some people dull sha! Imagine saying Femi shouldn't be nominated, instead P-square, D'Banj, Terry G, etc shud be nominated. I dey laugh like OBJ.
Only Femi Kuti and perhaps Asa deserve to be nominated from nigeria.
I daresay Femi is as good as his father, the great Abami Eda. Conscious music. COMPLETE music. Una think say e easy to play band music abi? Not the rubbish that u use auto-tune and electric beat-maker and join silly lyrics like "Do Me", or "Knack am akpako". . :\
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Sagamite(m): 6:31pm On Dec 01, 2011
afam4eva:

Mate, in these area, you can't be comparing P-squared to Femi Kuti.

That is like comparing Jason Derulo to artists like Bruce Springsteen, Elton John or Cee Lo Green.

It is as ridiculous as comparing Blackky or Felix Liberty back in the day to Baba Fela.

Don't get me wrong, I like P-squared. But this is not their arena.

When it comes to Grammies, you talk about artists like Femi Kuti, Asa etc. When it is MTV music awards or MOBO, you can get P-squared.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by eghost247(m): 6:37pm On Dec 01, 2011
lol
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by adconline(m): 7:04pm On Dec 01, 2011
Grammy is looking for originality. P-Square, Tuface and Co are not in consideration at all. 50Cent should be getting a Grammy first. As per ASA, i think she has a good voice but not original--- trying to sound like an American.

I went to Femi's concert, 95% of the crowd were white.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Zainaby: 7:37pm On Dec 01, 2011
Comparing femi to Psquare
what an insult
SMH. Who is Psquare when one is talking about originality.
Re: Femi Kuti Nominated For A Grammy Award For The Third Time by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 01, 2011
omo9ja1:

This dude is just taking the glory of his dad, i like slam slam slam

Another Otondo, he is taking no one's glory, at least UK don suppose commot your naija mentality. The Man learnt from the best, Iron sharpeneth Iron.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kelly Hansome Vs M.i :: Who Takes Round One? / Sun-el Musician – Akanamali Ft. Samthing Soweto (mp3) / Limewire{download Nigerian Songs For Free}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.