Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Help My Job Is Online - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help My Job Is Online (954 Views)

Typing Online Job, Is It A Fraud? / Help My Job On The Line / Virus Threatens My Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Job Is Online by anitas: 12:22pm On Sep 26, 2007
please I need your help here
I am a network administrator and we are running window vista in our server.
the server browse well wothout distributing to the rest systems in the LAN.
I am suspecting the window vista.
pls what do i do now.
Re: Help My Job Is Online by boro43(m): 6:05pm On Sep 26, 2007
why dont you make use of the professional window, ypou know that the Vista stuff was just being lunched not a less than a year ago. so may be you dod that. Ok?
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Ralvy(m): 6:45pm On Sep 26, 2007
First of all . . what operating system do the other Computers on the Network use . .

If it is Vista too and Computers are configured correctly, they shuld be no problem . .

But If it is Windows XP, u need to download the Link Layer Topology Discovery for WIndows XP that enables Windows XP see Vista Computers! u need to validate your Windows OS before you can download that from Microsoft's site.
If u do not run a genuine windows, let me know -  I will download it and host it somewhr else .

In the Home edition of Vista, this is a breeze, don't know about d Ultimate/ Professional Edition.

Whatever the case, there's definitely a way out . .  Let me know the OSs running on the Computers, The kind of topology in use . . . , aight?

Ciao smiley wink
Re: Help My Job Is Online by juw0n(m): 7:28pm On Sep 26, 2007
change to window xp and save yourself the stress, may be later you tried out the vista later when the your are less busy
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Ralvy(m): 7:30pm On Sep 26, 2007
Whts the use?? He cant try out some experiments and gain additional knowledge
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Kobojunkie: 8:05pm On Sep 26, 2007
Hey Anitas,

do you mind explaining the problem better than you did there. I have no clue what you mean at all.

Kobojunkie
Re: Help My Job Is Online by paribus(m): 9:23pm On Sep 26, 2007
@poster
You definitely need to give more info as has been indicated on the setup of your network. From the little i can gather from your post, you have a windows vista pc sharing your internet connection to the rest of the lan. If you are able to browse the internet without any latency or bandwidth issues on this computer but experience otherwise on the other LAN PCs, there could be several issues with relation to this:

status of your hub/switch
status of the cabling from the PC sharing the internet connection ("server"wink
number of PCs on the LAN between which you are sharing the connection.
is your ICS properly configured
have you ruled out virus/worm/malware

several things could come into play in this regard so you'll need to indicate what have been eliminated and what has not, basically you are our eyes to your infrastructure and the more info you are able to provide, the better nairalanders are able to give their opinion from an informed perspective.

@juw0n
I think misconfiguration - rather than inadequacies of windows vista (which is meant to be an improved OS with superior capabilities over xp) might be the issue here. if fhe possible root configuration issues are not eliminated, then he's bound to have the same problems even with windows xp.

Regards
Re: Help My Job Is Online by topeteadr(m): 1:23am On Sep 27, 2007
You guys make a very big mistake when a new OS comes out you all jump on it why not try using windows 2000 sever based edition that is the easiest for cyber cafe nowadays
Re: Help My Job Is Online by anitas: 11:01am On Sep 27, 2007
I had tried it with window XP and it worked. now my MD said he wants vista because he feels vista is the recent.
the server is running vista while the individual workstation are running xp. the sever can browse without distributing to the individual workstations on the same LAN. please I need help he/MD feels I am not competent to handle such facilities even with all my explanations.
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Ralvy(m): 1:35pm On Sep 27, 2007
U havent givn us the details we are asking 4
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Kobojunkie: 1:46pm On Sep 27, 2007
BAD IDEA, Maybe you should do some research into why it is not always a good idea to move to new operating systems until a couple of years after release, especially when it is being used in a business environment, I mean there have been so many horror stories in the past cause of moves like this and moving to vista will also require he switches machines for maximum throughput. I mean vista works best on machines with a minimum of about 4GB memory and basically that would cost extra on all machines that he intends to have those machines upgraded too. I mean if you have a project manager of some sort, explain cost and compatibility issues that may force him to have to spend on this project, to him so he can better convey the message to your boss.

KoboJunkie
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Maleeq(m): 4:46pm On Sep 27, 2007
What version of Vista are you using?

I haven't moved on to vista, but when I saw your post, I tried it out on the Ultimate version. . .same procedure as you would on XP and it shared without anyother configuration.

After a little research, Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is not configurable on "Windows Vista Starter Edition" ONLY. Is that the version you have?

If it is, then the ONLY option is a router.
Re: Help My Job Is Online by kash11(f): 5:16pm On Sep 27, 2007
pls i need a job online any one with any ideas
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Maleeq(m): 7:08pm On Sep 27, 2007
@kash11

The poster is not saying he has an online job, he means "if he does not get this working soonest, he's going to lose his current job".
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Kobojunkie: 7:18pm On Sep 27, 2007
@Anita,

If you can not even explain what exactly you need help with, I would not blame your boss if he ends up firing you. I mean You have posted twice already and I doubt anyone has a clue what in the world you are going on and on about. these people are concerned and would really like to help but it almost seems you are not serious at all. Is this a joke

KoboJunkie
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Maleeq(m): 7:22pm On Sep 27, 2007
@kobojunkie

I think his point is clear enough. He's trying to enable ICS on Vista.

Only Vista Starter Edition does not have this feature. . .you cant even enable file sharing! I feel thats the version he has installed. Other versions of vista dont have this drawback. You just enable it as you would on XP without extra configuration(s).
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Ralvy(m): 7:25pm On Sep 27, 2007
Maleeq:

Only Vista Starter Edition does not have this feature. . .you can't even enable file sharing! I feel thats the version he has installed. Other versions of vista don't have this drawback. You just enable it as you would on XP without extra configuration(s).

Thank u man, said it all . . .

@Poster;
Like I said, download the Link Layer Topology Discovery, Google that or sth . . .
That shuld help u aut
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Kobojunkie: 7:35pm On Sep 27, 2007
Maleeq:

@kobojunkie

I think his point is clear enough. He's trying to enable ICS on Vista.

Only Vista Starter Edition does not have this feature. . .you can't even enable file sharing! I feel thats the version he has installed. Other versions of vista don't have this drawback. You just enable it as you would on XP without extra configuration(s).

He said he is running Vista on the Server. According to information on this site, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx?wt_svl=10033VHa2&mg_id=10033VHb2 , I am not sure Windows Starter Edition is a Server edition. He has yet to actually State which edition he is running and that information if provided will go along way in helping us come up with a solution tailored to his need rather than him have us continue to guess what the trouble may be.

@Poster, Are you going to explain EXACTLY what the problem is or should I just take it that this one is lost cause

KoboJunkie
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Maleeq(m): 6:16am On Sep 28, 2007
@kobojunkie

Read through his initial post. Just cos he called it a "server" does not literally mean he's running the server edition. . .if he is, Microsoft would be shocked, cos the server edition is billed for release in the second quarter of next year.

He means server as in the system that shares its internet connection not server as in a full fledge server machine running a server OS.

@Poster
Please, get the version of vista you are running and tell us here.

To get the version:
- Open Welcome Center by clicking the Start button -> clicking Control Panel -> clicking System and Maintenance -> and then clicking Welcome Center.

But believe me, unless he's done something else wrong, only the Starter edition doesn't support ICS.
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Kobojunkie: 12:39pm On Sep 28, 2007
Maleeq:

@kobojunkie

Read through his initial post. Just because he called it a "server" does not literally mean he's running the server edition. . .if he is, Microsoft would be shocked, because the server edition is billed for release in the second quarter of next year.

He means server as in the system that shares its internet connection not server as in a full fledge server machine running a server OS.

@Poster
Please, get the version of vista you are running and tell us here.

To get the version:
- Open Welcome Center by clicking the Start button -> clicking Control Panel -> clicking System and Maintenance -> and then clicking Welcome Center.

But believe me, unless he's done something else wrong, only the Starter edition doesn't support ICS.

Here

http://www.theosfiles.com/os_windows/ospg_Windows_Vista_Server.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/bulletins/longhorn/beta1.mspx

I have no idea what you mean about saying Microsoft has not released Vista server and you are still making my point, as in since he has yet to reveal his version, you are still assuming he is using starter edition which to me is one of the consumer editions and not a server edition per say , I mean if he is using it for networking , that I can understand but I would think a server is still and always is a server, I mean in my world anyways, I have never heard it used in the way you claim it is used.

Kobojunkie
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Maleeq(m): 3:46pm On Sep 28, 2007
Kobojunkie:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/bulletins/longhorn/beta1.mspx

I have no idea what you mean about saying Microsoft has not released Vista server and you are still making my point, as in since he has yet to reveal his version,
FYI, this link is clearly dated "July 27, 2005" and it refers to "Microsoft Windows Server Longhorn Beta 1". It was mainly testers mostly in the corporate organizations and not individuals. Individuals that have got it, got it through "not too straight" means.

Infact, the first beta version of the Longhorn server project was released to the public Q1 of this year, no where would you see "Vista" in it. Its is planned to be renamed Vista Server 2008 though when it is finally released on the 27th Of February, 2008.

And oh, its was never your point. Remember the option you gave him unitl I mentioned the OS version issue.

Kobojunkie:

you are still assuming he is using starter edition which to me is one of the consumer editions and not a server edition per say
Duh! From the name alone, "Starter Edition", you should know I was not hoping you'll take it to be a Server OS.
History has it that the starter editions from Microsoft have a lot of features cut out from it. Intended only to be a "Welcome to the experience" pack.

Kobojunkie:

I mean if he is using it for networking , that I can understand but I would think a server is still and always is a server, I mean in my world anyways, I have never heard it used in the way you claim it is used.
In your own world, is it possible for a system with a client OS provide service to other client on a network?
In your own world, what would you call such a system? A server? or a just another host?

FYI , most places here in Naija call systems with ICS enabled "Server", be it client OS or Server OS running on top a Kick-a$$ server machine[quote][/quote]
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Kobojunkie: 3:58pm On Sep 28, 2007
I have no clue what you are saying now. I still stand on Starter Edition not being a server edition and the guy never said anything about starter edition, that is your assumption though. He mentioned server, Longhorn, regardless of when it was released was the one pointed to as being Windows Vista server and has been in use for a while now and when people say server, I think codde Name Longhorn could be it since she said Vista and my advise still stands, wait a while till the kinks, if any are ironed out before switching or upgrading to a new OS. wait for 2nd release is the advise I would give anyone, even this case.

This is not a game of wits but simply me posting to the poster that LongHorn aka Vista Server is still in infancy and she/he should advise Boss to wait a while for the new release. If you have used any of MS other wares, even Visual studio has a beta, then the initial release and then a re-release. I waited to get the Re-RELEASE and many did so they would have the 2.0 of it and not have to go download this and to fix this and that, so I do not understand what you mean by it was never my point.

By the way, stop making it about you and leave the poster to answer my questions please if he/she will.

Kobojunkie
Re: Help My Job Is Online by Maleeq(m): 4:20pm On Sep 28, 2007
kool

(1) (Reply)

Block Yahoo Chat Via Port Number 5050/ip Address / Dijitanix Cyberguage V4.1 Or V8.1.0 License\key / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.