Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? (6385 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Married As A Second Wife For Child-Bearing / My Husband Insists I Remove My Maiden Name From My Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by ThoniaSlim(f): 8:58pm On Dec 09, 2006
i would still love to bear my maiden name before my husband's name,cause my name is so nice and stylish  cool
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by English1(f): 9:42am On Mar 30, 2007
I kept my name when I married. Mainly because I have a nice name and my husband had a weird name that no-one can spell or say properly. I'm not dealing with that problem all my life. In fact, he used to use my name sometimes if it was easier - if he phoned up to order a cab for us or something he would give my name, otherwise things could get confused! We gave our son his surname though as no-one thinks it odd here for mother and children to have different names, but I don't think anyone would have believed he was the father if the child didn't have his name. smiley

Now he is my ex-husband but I don't think our names had anything to do with that!
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by initiate: 11:43am On Mar 30, 2007
a woman retaining her maiden name is a bloody name dropper. if she has confidence in her ability to make something of her life why does she need to attache to the fathers name. we have pple like puff daddy, will smith who even as guys adopted new names and made the new names popular. also we have women eg the nafdac woman who adopted the husbands name and made it even more well known than the man and everyone respects her.
look at iyabo obasanjo, all she has is her fathers name and no other achievement.
summary is this, a woman holding on to the fathers name, is a name dropper and under achiever and this should give a sign to the man that there is more underlying problems
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by culasi(m): 3:56pm On Mar 30, 2007
Whatever grin

ThoniaSlim:

i would still love to bear my maiden name before my husband's name,cause my name is so nice and stylish cool
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by laudate: 6:35pm On Mar 30, 2007
initiate:

summary is this, a woman holding on to the fathers name, is a name dropper and under achiever and this should give a sign to the man that there is more underlying problems

A rose by any other name is just as sweet, that is my belief. So how does a woman who retains her maiden name, become a name dropper & an under-achiever? Kindly let us know.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by neelsel(f): 7:27pm On Mar 30, 2007
I believe is a personal choice. I have decided NOT to adopt my husband's last name, but instead continue to use my maiden's name. This has always been an issue with, since I cannot seem to understand the logic behind me taking on a name that I am not biologically connected to. Now if we do have children, then by all means I expect them to take their father's last name. Just my 2cents, wink wink

1 Like

Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by whiteNkem(f): 4:42pm On Mar 31, 2007
neelsel:

I believe is a personal choice.
That is so very true!!

As for me, though I like my surname too, I will have my husband's name as I think this is the right thing to do. If we are a couple, then I would love the two of us to bear the same name.
So be aware of Mr.&Mrs. Daniels!! tongue
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by culasi(m): 8:28pm On Mar 31, 2007
@ White Nkem Way to go. I agree with you.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by spoilt(f): 8:56pm On Apr 04, 2007
correct me if im wrong but there's no where in the bible i know of that says a woman should change her name. how did men bully us into taking their names sef? see wahala! grin
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by whiteNkem(f): 9:23pm On Apr 04, 2007
spoilt:

correct me if im wrong but there's no where in the bible i know of that says a woman[b] should[/b] change her name. how did men bully us into taking their names sef? see wahala! grin

It's not that we should do that, but it's just easier. Take for example the Spanish. They don't change their last name and they all have 2 last names (one from mom and one from dad). And their child will bear the first surname of each parent. Therefore, most people there have 4-5 names (considering that the majority has first AND middle name, and some even have 2 middle names). So imagine the hassle whenever you have to write your name. <-- that would be for those who chose to bear both surnames (your own, and your husband's).

Then, why take his and not keep yours? As I said before, it's not a trick, con or anything. It's just that you are a couple now. You are as one. So it'd be better for the wed couple to have the same family name. After all, maybe that's why it is called family name.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by spoilt(f): 9:41pm On Apr 04, 2007
if its easier for the family to have one name, he can as well take mine! grin

anyway just so you guys know they are about passing a law in the u.s to enable guys who want to take their wives names to do so. it has been difficult before now to legally change your name to your wife's name. i heard it on the news. progress!
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by English1(f): 5:38pm On Apr 05, 2007
In the UK you can have any name you want.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by GL(f): 12:51am On Apr 06, 2007
initiate:

a woman retaining her maiden name is a bloody name dropper. if she has confidence in her ability to make something of her life why does she need to attache to the fathers name. we have people like puff daddy, will smith who even as guys adopted new names and made the new names popular. also we have women eg the nafdac woman who adopted the husbands name and made it even more well known than the man and everyone respects her.
look at iyabo obasanjo, all she has is her fathers name and no other achievement.

don't you think that was too harsh? I mean, you are not the one to say if someone has achieved anything or not. Afterall, she is a medical doctor and that is not a small thing. If you have issues with women who hold on to their fathers' name, you should address it directly without attacking people.

btw, how about Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, do you mean she didn't achieve anything?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by 9ja4eva: 12:26pm On Apr 06, 2007
I do not think there is anything wrong in it.Most women do it to remember where they are from and i think in a way it wld go a long way in making people believe more in female children.In Africa its said dt if yu dnt have a son u dnt have children and one reason is because male children retain d family name why female children abadon it to go for their husbands.With dis latest trend it wldnt be a problem anymore as people will get to believe in female children retaining their maiden name.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by ami89(f): 11:57pm On Apr 06, 2007
i plan to retain my name if u hv a problem wit dat u can go suck on a di ck 4 all i care
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by OmoEko1(f): 8:06am On Apr 07, 2007
I want to keep my maiden name when i get marry but my hubby isn't having that. cry cry cry, but i wish i can ohhhhh because that name is so special to me cry cry cry cry
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by initiate: 8:31pm On Apr 10, 2007
GL seems you got me all wrong
what i mean is that the person should make a name and not the name making making the person
whether you adopt your fathers name or hubbys name or even your village name, what do u make out of it?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by iice(f): 10:41am On Apr 12, 2007
Keeping ma name, i can hyphenate thou
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by adeboo(f): 11:27am On Apr 12, 2007
It totally depends on the husband.

There are different reasons most women dont change their names.
e.g living in a country where there are laws, in order to change your name you have to fill in loads of forms, write letters to different companies etc and that takes too much hassle - thats why most women just cant be bothered.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by 9ja4eva: 8:26pm On Apr 12, 2007
I don't think its a bad idea if dey r good reasons
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by monshege: 10:35pm On Apr 12, 2007
all these brouhaha about name after marriage just shows men take certain things for granted, for instance assuming the lady will take the name. hmm! i am learning
if the lady humbles herself and takes your surname "atutupoyoyo", i guess you as a man should humble yourself and appreciate that fact and not lord it over her. its not a must that she ought to take the last name. having used one last name for a long time, she may find it strange to change to another last name which is why some decide to keep their last names or hyphenate it, its all in communication between the couple. if my wife decides to take my name, i shall be grateful, if she doesn't, i would still love her
some cultures in naija have maternal inheritance where the female (i guess) still holds unto her name and the children bear their maternal last name, in some cases that is why you get children with more than two hyphenated last names (i had class mates with such last names which is how i found out. they don't talk about it so much, you just have to be inquisitive to know).

what's in a name?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by 9ja4eva: 10:45pm On Apr 12, 2007
Exactly.Its a free world.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by spoilt(f): 5:34am On May 25, 2007
i kept my maiden name for a while after i got married. the hassle of changing all my documents and id's and bank account names was a nightmare. my husband didnt say one word about it but when i changed it,i could tell he was ecstatic. grin

took me a while to get used to the new one. is there anywhere in the bible that says a woman must change her name? how did men bully us into taking their name sef?
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by barin24(m): 8:43pm On May 30, 2007
i think it all depends on d individual involved i'm not aware that d bible or d quran requires women to adopt their husband's name after marriage. i learnt authoritatively that islam in particular allows women to kip their maiden names.

as for me i can never be bothered, if u like sef no bear any name, !
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by hannydarl(f): 3:12pm On Jun 01, 2007
@IBB FAN

Abro tobara mo? I never knew black briggs existed in Abonnema o i guess theres plenty i need to learn.

@poster
I think it will be nice to add my husbands name to mine to save me the wahala of identification i mean i am still my humble self married or single so why the hell should marriage make my documents almost invalid because my name changed and then the worry of getting another paper to prove that i am stil the same person as miss A on my certificates.
I think i will retain my maiden name but my husbands will stand last as the newowner of the names bearer.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by omoge(f): 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2007
keeping my name too. i will hypenate cheesy
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by hotchic1(f): 7:36pm On Jun 01, 2007
I think its too much hassle changing names but i will have to change my name,might retain my maiden name as my middle name though.

But if the husband is comfortable with it,the wife can retain her name.
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by minniepoe(f): 1:52pm On Jun 05, 2007
i regard this act as crap. most women that still hold unto their maiden name do so in order to have still have recognition with their family name.
most especially those that come from a well known family.
i pardon those in the entertainment industry. they still hang on to their maiden name so as to keep the fame but that not withstanding, one should drop the maiden name and go with the marital name.
are we married to our fathers?,
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by macgozy(m): 3:06pm On Jun 05, 2007
TUFIAKWA, MBA, ARU, CHUKWU AJU, HOW CAN MY WIFE WHICH I SPENT CLOSE TO N1 MILL TO BUY WILL COME TO MY HOUSE AND BEAR HER LINEAGE NAME. NOT POSSIBLE

A SLAVE IS ALWAYS A SLAVE (SPEAKING ABOUT THE IGBO CULTURE WHICH REQUIRES U TO PAY HUGELY IF SHE'S A UNIVERSITY GRAD, LESS IF SHE JUST FINISHED SECONDARY)
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by laudate: 4:54pm On Jun 05, 2007
macgozy:

TUFIAKWA, MBA, ARU, CHUKWU AJU, HOW CAN MY WIFE WHICH I SPENT CLOSE TO N1 MILL TO BUY WILL COME TO MY HOUSE AND BEAR HER LINEAGE NAME. NOT POSSIBLE

A SLAVE IS ALWAYS A SLAVE (SPEAKING ABOUT THE IGBO CULTURE WHICH REQUIRES You TO PAY HUGELY IF SHE'S A UNIVERSITY GRAD, LESS IF SHE JUST FINISHED SECONDARY)

Hehehehehe. . . . since when has a woman become a piece of property, that can be bought? tongue
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 05, 2007
I'll keep my maiden name. if possible I'll add it to my kids names!
Re: Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? by uchetobi(f): 12:08pm On Jun 06, 2007
i dont want to kep my fathers' name.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Water Dispenser VS Refrigirator ??? #syinix / Husband Built Home In Nigeria Without Telling Me. Should I Divorce / A Salute To Single Mums - The Unsung Heroines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.