Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,370 members, 7,815,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women (2627 Views)

Poll: Will This Help?

Yes: 72% (8 votes)
No: 27% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Say No To Domestic Violence On Women / Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? / Effects Of Domestic Violence On Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by DisGuy: 12:20am On Dec 06, 2011
violation: Fg Unveils Toll-free Helpline

The Federal Government on Monday took serious steps to stem violation and other forms of violence against women by inaugurating a toll-free helpline.

The helpline is 080072732255.
It was inaugurated in Abuja by the Minister of Youth Development, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi.
The minister also named popular musician, Naeto C, and the 2010 winner of Big Brother Africa, Kevin Pam, as ambassadors and spokespersons for the Nigerian Youth and the violation Challenge.
The ministry will also take its campaign against violation to the airwaves with various slogans.
More details later.

Punch

Good move

but why use 2 dude as ambassadors
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by DrummaBoy(m): 10:12am On Dec 07, 2011
This is probably the only policy of d GEJ govt that I find laudable.
Atleast someone is thinking in this govt.
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 07, 2011
I wonder who will be picking the calls, it will end up like the way nigerian network providers do behave, calling and no one to pick it up
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by cicero(m): 10:23am On Dec 07, 2011
What is laudable about some useless number that will soon be on permanent voicemail?

A girl was raped by useless sons of equally useless apes that are presently parading themselves as parents, the video was posted online, public opinion gave leads and our dumb and incompetent government officials did nothing, now they are giving phone numbers.

Numerous cases of rapes by nigerian he-goats continue to plague the nigerian woman, amnesty international have documented cases of nigerian policemen accused of rape, videos of nigerian girls suffering all manner of humiliation in the hands of biological mistakes called males litter the internet, let them start from there and after successfully jailing some of these rapists then rape victims will take them seriously and use their phoney toll-free line.
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by eunisam: 10:36am On Dec 07, 2011
good .I like that.hope they also make a toll free for emergencies
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by 195(f): 10:56am On Dec 07, 2011
odiaero:

I wonder who will be picking the calls, it will end up like the way nigerian network providers do behave, calling and no one to pick it up

U get sense so

did u try it that no one answered

anyway hence forth u're gonna stop hittin ur girl grin
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by oge4real(f): 11:08am On Dec 07, 2011
Toll-free call in Nigeria? Lets watch and see.
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by monkeyleg: 11:32am On Dec 07, 2011
Good move, but what will be the end result? have they put things in place that will ensure swift and credible investigations take place? Good move, but I am not holding my breath
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by Iolo(m): 12:30pm On Dec 07, 2011
cicero:

What is laudable about some useless number that will soon be on permanent voicemail?

A girl was violated by useless sons of equally useless apes that are presently parading themselves as parents, the video was posted online, public opinion gave leads and our dumb and incompetent government officials did nothing, now they are giving phone numbers.

Numerous cases of Desecrates by nigerian he-goats continue to plague the nigerian woman, amnesty international have documented cases of nigerian policemen accused of violation, videos of nigerian girls suffering all manner of humiliation in the hands of biological mistakes called males litter the internet, let them start from there and after successfully jailing some of these rapists then violation victims will take them seriously and use their phoney toll-free line.

I read an article on Thisday where the Minister for Youth Development claimed he worked in hand with some Humanitarian org, they got in touch with the victim of the gangrape and she denied getting violated. According to him, her family also denied it. The minister was lamenting her refusal to press charges.

Would try to find the link to the article.
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by atiku07(m): 12:31pm On Dec 07, 2011
de number dey work o! i just tried it so jonathan can think afterall grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by Iolo(m): 12:41pm On Dec 07, 2011
The Minister of Youth Development, Mallam Bolaji
Abdullahi, in his welcome address, lamented that
the incidents of rape had continued to rise.

Speaking on the recent rape of a young girl by five
men alleged to be students of Abia State
University (ABSU), Abdullahi noted that the men
had been able to evade arrest and prosecution
because the young girl refused to press charges.

“, The victim failed to identify herself. I personally
worked closely with the Human Rights
Commission on the case, and when she was
contacted, she denied that she was raped, so did
her family. This has made it impossible to move
forward with the case,” he said

thisdaylive.com/articles/teenage-girl-gang-raped-for-showing-no-respect/104370/

Wonder why the girl refused to own up.
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by Nobody: 12:41pm On Dec 07, 2011
190_@:

U get sense so

did u try it that no one answered

anyway hence forth u're gonna stop hittin your girl  grin

Mo*ron de spammer have replied a post
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by Gboliwe: 4:27pm On Dec 07, 2011
Kevin is a typo. Karen should be the correct one. She it was that won BBA
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by DisGuy: 5:14pm On Dec 07, 2011
Gboliwe:

Kevin is a typo. Karen should be the correct one. She it was that won BBA

thanks, i was wondering why they didnt use 'her' or some other fiery popular female
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by chillbabe(f): 1:08am On Dec 08, 2011
I just called the number its not connecting
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by DisGuy: 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2011
chillbabe:

I just called the number its not connecting

Can I ask why you called the number? will you try 999

most lines in nigeria dont connect at first trial
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by chillbabe(f): 10:37pm On Dec 08, 2011
@Dis guy I called the number to see if it is working that's all. I just called the number again and there asking me to press whatever key for special delivery. Lol y dnt u try the number to hear for urself
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by Fhemmmy: 12:22am On Dec 09, 2011
Why do this government keep deceiving the people.
Even the leaders are not treating the helpless right . . . . .
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by chillbabe(f): 10:16am On Dec 09, 2011
Just called again and finally I got someone on the phone. Guess it only work during working hours
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by ifyalways(f): 11:44am On Dec 09, 2011
Just one line for all the women abused from Zungeru,Okigwe,Nembe,shagamu to Isale Eko?

This people are not serious.How many phone lines does an average Nigerian use?what happens when that single line develpos fault?

Huge Joke.
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by Fhemmmy: 12:24am On Dec 10, 2011
^^^^ Lol
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by DisGuy: 8:31am On Dec 10, 2011
ifyalways:

Just one line for all the women abused from Zungeru,Okigwe,Nembe,shagamu to Isale Eko?

This people are not serious.How many phone lines does an average Nigerian use?what happens when that single line develpos fault?

Huge Joke.

its better to have one number, that way 'no fiddling about trying to locate the local one, just like 999 911 etc

I am guessing they want to have a call centre that will direct call to local human right ngos or something
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 10, 2011
I hope people use it.
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by dominique(f): 4:50pm On Dec 10, 2011
Commendable effort by the FG but i will like to know which action will be taken after a call is placed. Will the offenders be prosecuted? What kind of protection will they give the abused victims? Will they be rehabiltated? Does it also involve rural women?
I hope the FG realises that this goes beyond calling a toll free number and i wish they get it right this time.
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by obowunmi(m): 1:02am On Dec 11, 2011
1) Are people trained to receive such phone calls ?

2) How does one communicate with someone who doesn't speak the same language ?

3) If police does not come when armed robbers are there, how will they come when there's rape, what process for investigation ?

Nigerians and their rubbish!!
Re: FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women by Outstrip(f): 1:48am On Dec 12, 2011
Let's just be happy that the government is recognizing that this is a national stigma. Of course we know that Yerima is still screwing a baby as we speak and we know that most of them are forcing their house maids to have sex but at least they thought about this and that is commendable

(1) (Reply)

How To Choose Your Man / I'm About To Take A Wrong Decision This Night. / Dirty Housemates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.