Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Do We Have Lawmakers At All? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Have Lawmakers At All? (1751 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To The Fight By Lawmakers At The NASS (see Tweets) / Fayose Allegedly Sets Trap For 19 APC Lawmakers At Afe Babalola’s Peace Meeting / Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by Akolawole(m): 3:54am On Mar 11, 2006
We have voted them in to represent us in the Senate, House of Representatives or state house of assemblies.

Who do they represent?

Executives,

Themselves or

The masses?

Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by segun06: 7:19am On Mar 13, 2006
They represent their bank accounts.
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by Seun(m): 11:55am On Mar 13, 2006
Some of them like this woman, Abike Dabiri, who used to be a newscaster, are worthy of respect. But the popular belief is that the vast majority of them are crooks. Why? Because of how they got into the office.
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by toshmann(m): 2:25pm On Mar 14, 2006
Seun:

, Why? Because of how they got into the office.

POINT.
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by Odeku(m): 3:09pm On Mar 14, 2006
Well we elect this people and we all know what they are capable of doing, and I guess we paying the price for not doing our home work before we elect them, every thing that looks good is not always good.
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by toshmann(m): 3:45pm On Mar 14, 2006
Odeku:

Well we elect this people and we all know what they are capable of doing, and I guess we paying the price for not doing our home work before we elect them, every thing that looks good is not always good.

point of correction.we never elected them.2003 "election"was a fraud. we all know that
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by toyeen: 11:20am On Mar 20, 2006
law makers or law breakers?lot has been expended on election,so much is expected from law breaking.ol boy!everyman for himself.pls siddon look! lipsrsealed cry
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by toshmann(m): 7:55pm On Mar 23, 2006
on the day of reckoning, we shall see sad
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by Bruekeleen: 8:57pm On Mar 24, 2006
Is there a provision in the Nigerian constitution for a recall? If so, would it be asking too much of the electorate to excise their constitutional right to recall these "lawbreakers?"
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by toshmann(m): 9:01pm On Mar 24, 2006
a recall can be rigged to fail
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by Bruekeleen: 3:50am On Mar 25, 2006
So, where do we stand? What do we do collectively?
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by toshmann(m): 8:35pm On Mar 25, 2006
to be honest i don't know the best therapy to our ailment as a nation. but we can start by, whew i cant think of anything that may work, may be we do whatever we can b/c i dont know which will work
whew.confused. undecided

we can start to pray. God will show a way. undecided
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by Larufa(m): 2:28pm On Mar 26, 2006
Odeku:

We never elected most of them. They got there through rigging. That is why they are not accountable to us.
Very good examples are the results of Anambra Senate and House of Rep. elections.

toshmann:

to be honest i don't know the best therapy to our ailment as a nation. but we can start by, whew i can't think of anything that may work, may be we do whatever we can b/c i don't know which will work
whew.confused. undecided

we can start to pray. God will show a way. undecided

Please leave God out of this, our problems are human caused, thus needs Human solutions.
Most importantly[b] we need to weaken the center.[/b] . As it is now the center is just too strong, collecting such a huge % of the nation income and they are not ready to do anything.

What does federal Govt. has to doing with primary and secondary education, water provision, agriculture, environmental issues e.t.c.

With our diverse cultures and future aspirations, one man sitting in Abuja cannot and will not know the kind of problems we are facing in my remote village talkless to solving them.
The functions of the central Govt. should be policies formulation and co-ordinations, monitoring inter State relationship, protection of our international boundaries.

Lets weaken the center and may it less attractive.
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by toshmann(m): 4:27pm On Mar 26, 2006
great idea.now that the federal govt wont allow for the weakening of the centre ,what do we masses do? tell me.

if we demonstrate they rollout the army to shoot at site,if we go on total strike they hammer out their fangs at the leaders of the strike, if we re-call, they rig the recall, if we go to court they disobey court orders, it we MEND/EGBESU-LISE, they call us villians and roll out the fighters and tankers. we wait for their term to finish, they change the constitution and get more terms,
so my brother,tell me, what do we do

U cant wish away God like that. God took care of abacha,if u think the press or courts did him in,think again.

so may be we get back to square 1;God.
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by toshmann(m): 4:30pm On Mar 26, 2006
toshmann:

if we demonstrate they rollout the army to shoot at site,

i meant shoot at sight please.
thanx grin
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by ono(m): 4:37pm On Mar 26, 2006
@toshmann, bros, either way (site or sight) you are right,

buhahahaha grin
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by sammydiceylp(m): 11:05pm On Apr 26, 2013
I love your question.The law maker are called the legislature and there primary duty is to make law but in Nigeria the legislative arms of government seems to be the most corrupt arms of government.They not making law but making MONEY:
Re: Do We Have Lawmakers At All? by nifemi01(m): 10:53am On Apr 27, 2013
sammydiceylp: I love your question.The law maker are called the legislature and there primary duty is to make law but in Nigeria the legislative arms of government seems to be the most corrupt arms of government.They not making law but making MONEY:
when i read ur comment i didn't know when i started singing 'we making money this year'.
I guess it is safe to assume that is their goal every year, making money, more money and most money.
Lol, i can imagine David Mark and Tumbawal whistling 'we making money this year' as they make their way to the chamber every year.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria In Talks On World Bank Loan To Fund Budget -- Muhtar / Boyloaf Expelled From The Niger Delta Begs Henry Okah / Anambra 2010: Inec Clears 24 Candidates (drops Soludo), Soludo Goes To S/court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.