Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,561 members, 7,850,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:57 AM

Lagos Enforces Ban Against Okada, Arrest 1,000 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Enforces Ban Against Okada, Arrest 1,000 (578 Views)

RRS Enforces Single Lane Queue At Filling Stations In Lagos / War Against Okada Riders To Resume In Lagos / Lamentation Everywhere, As Oyo Enforces Law Against ‘okada’ - Latest News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Enforces Ban Against Okada, Arrest 1,000 by chuks49(m): 10:30am On Dec 07, 2011
Lagos enforces ban against Okada, arrest 1,000

PDFPrintE-mail

Written by Femi Akinola, Lagos Wednesday, 07 December 2011 05:00
inShare0
SocButtons plugin

The Lagos State government yesterday officially commenced the enforcement of the law banning the operation of commercial motorcycle (Okada) along highways in the state, arresting over 1,000 motorcyclists.

The exercise was jointly executed by men of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA,) and police. Our correspondent reports that at the Public Works Department area opposite the Radio Nigeria Training School at Shogunle, Okada operators were seen resisting arrest, saying it was wrong for the state government to ban them from operating on federal roads.

Some Okada riders however alleged fraud in the operation, saying some of their colleagues were bailing themselves with money ranging from N2, 000 to N5, 000.

When contacted, the state’s chairman of Motorcycle Operators Association of Nigeria, Tijani Pekis said the protesting Okada riders were not members of the association.

“I have alerted the Commissioner for Transportation, who promised to inform the police. Let me add that those people are expressway Okada riders, they are not my members, my members would not demonstrate for any reason at all,” he said.

The Commissioner for Transportation, Kayode Opeifa confirmed the development, saying the state government has actually commenced enforcement of the law banning Okada at prohibited areas.

“We are determined to ensure that the law is enforced and adhered to. We will deal with them within the confines of the law, certainly, we are not backing down,” he said.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=149362:lagos-enforces-ban-against-okada-arrest-1000&catid=1:news&Itemid=2

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Universities Certificates (degrees) / Ilorin Goes Gaga Over The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy! / Fuel Subsidy Removal: Don Jazzy Regrets Voting Johnathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.