Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? (23840 Views)

Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? / Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / How To Block Some Websites On A PC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by blackweaver(m): 11:02am On Dec 08, 2011
Digriz is also right, cache memory plays a vital play too; basically you have 3 types of "memory" or storage in a computer: cache memory
which is the smallest and is closest to the cpu (ususally comes with the cpu too), then we have the ram which is the main memory then the
hard disk (Actually we also have gpu and video ram, but if you don't use graphics intensive applications they don't matter so much. Most pcs with
integrated graphics cards allocate some portion of the ram as video ram). The cache memory is the fastest but also the most expensive,
the more your cache memory the better the performance compared to a pc with similar processor (or even slightly faster) and ram but smaller cache. To put it in another light, the cache memory is the reason why in the old days a pentium was much faster than a celeron with the same cpu speed; the pentium had more cache memory.
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by blackweaver(m): 11:14am On Dec 08, 2011
all4naija:

The processor is the first and follow by the RAM. The combination is the actual determination. The microprocessor in Ghz(as in OP comment) is the processor speed and very important during the process of carrying out any function in a computer, likewise the RAM(Random Access Memory) which is a place where temporal execution of instructions are stored before being transfered to the CPU(Central Processing Unit)or the processor - the speed matter a lot to the working time of your system. Without RAM your system can't operate and the same thing with the processor - that is, both of them are needed at a reasonable speed for your computer to carry out its functions properly. However, a i7 microprocessor with 4gb RAM would do a job at better speed  than core 2 duo system with 6gb RAM. So, the microprocessor speed is the core speed while the RAM is temporal speed in a way.

When buying a system the most important thing to look out for first is the processor speed because a high speed processor will definitely need a large size RAM accompanied with it before any other things.

I agree, especially since it's easier to upgrade ram than cpu; however at 4gb/6gb, you probably have more ram than you'll need for most tasks so you can enjoy more of the full potential of the cpu but at 512mb vs 1gb you are working with limited resources; even netbooks come with at least 1gb ram. Even then buy the higher cpu pc and then upgrade your ram
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by sniperwolf(m): 1:12pm On Dec 08, 2011
@Blackweaver: I'm not complicating any issue I only asked a honest question
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by CHIMSKY(m): 8:48pm On Dec 08, 2011
Can you increase the size of the processor?
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by blackweaver(m): 10:24pm On Dec 08, 2011
you mean increase the speed of the processor? well it depends, some motherboards have their cpus built into them, in which case you can't upgrade the cpu. Branded pcs too tend to be a little mpre difficult to upgrade (in nigeria) 'cos you have to get a compatible processor by the same manufacturer. Bottom line: unless you know what you're doing (especially if your pc wasn't assembled) don't bother upgrading your cpu
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by lastpage: 12:24am On Dec 09, 2011
Both determine "how quickly" your machine will work, if that is what you refer to as "speed".

If you have the fastest processor and inadequate RAM, Computer will experience excessive "swapping" and thus a lengthy "return-fetch cycle".

If you have huge RAM and old, slow Processor, each computation cycle will take ages to execute, a slow PC results as well.
Both must be balanced, for optimum results.
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by Ladealm: 6:25pm On Dec 25, 2011
My Advice is u get the higher Processor with low RAM cos u can easily increase the RAM size by buying an extra RAM chip. Unlike the processor which u have to change completely just to increase.

Though it's best to buy a PC with a high speed processor and large RAM. Saves stress and ensures efficiency.
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by emtar(m): 7:20am On Dec 26, 2011
SIRS. AM HERE TO ASK GURUS THAT WHICH PROCESSOR WITH THE MOTHERBOARD IS GOOD?

I HAVE LAPTOP HP CQ60 (AMD PROCESSOR AND MOTHERBOARD ) BUT ALWAYS HEAT.LATTER IT GOT DAMAGE.
SOME PPLE TOLD ME THAT AMD IS NOT GOOD.

NOW, WHICH ONE IS THE BEST TO BY SIRS.

SECONDLY WHERE CAN I SEE DIRECT TOKUBO/FAIRLY LAPTOP TO BUY I.E TESTED AND NOW TESTED WITH HIGH SPEED LIKE HP DV9000. HP VI, ETC.

THANKS
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by emmatok(m): 9:40pm On Dec 26, 2011
emtar:

SIRS. AM HERE TO ASK GURUS THAT WHICH PROCESSOR WITH THE MOTHERBOARD IS GOOD?

I HAVE LAPTOP HP CQ60 (AMD PROCESSOR AND MOTHERBOARD ) BUT ALWAYS HEAT.LATTER IT GOT DAMAGE.
SOME PPLE TOLD ME THAT AMD IS NOT GOOD.

NOW, WHICH ONE IS THE BEST TO BY SIRS.

SECONDLY WHERE CAN I SEE DIRECT TOKUBO/FAIRLY LAPTOP TO BUY I.E TESTED AND NOW TESTED WITH HIGH SPEED LIKE HP DV9000. HP VI, ETC.

THANKS

1. GIGABYTE motherboard with Intel CORE i5 and i7 is the best.

2. Go to computer  village Ikeja, you will get good fairly use Laptop-PC there.
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by toysmall: 9:36am On Dec 27, 2011
Lovely bear keychain, so convenient and beautiful! As the gifts send to your friends, classmates and lovers.
You are worth it! More surprise on the <a href=" http://www.bangtoysmall.com ">www.bangtoysmall.com</a> It's the right <a href=" http://www.bangtoysmall.com ">toys mall ,toys shop ,toy store , novelty toy</a>! http://www.bangtoysmall.com
Re: Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? by Vicky2k(m): 10:21am On Dec 27, 2011
I sense A+ Technicians in da House You Guys have said it all. I Agree to the Fact that CPU Speed should be First Considered Before Ram since Ram chips are easily Upgraded. System Cache Memory in a system be it L1 or L2 is also a Determinant Factor as to how Fast a PC may be since a PC with more Cache Memory will Faster Access Frequently used.
Applications . VISIT MY MONEY MAKING THREAD HERE www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-829710.0.html

(1) (2) (Reply)

Brand New Sealed iPhone 13 Pro Max @ 550k / 'Inye': Made In Nigeria Tablet PC By Saheed Adepoju / How To Fix Sound Problem On Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.